The BIG thread of Shmup grievances.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: The BIG thread of Shmup grievances.

Post by Shepardus »

Games that stop you farther away from the edges than it looks like you can go. Bonus points if the sprite doesn't even touch the edge of the screen before you hit the boundary.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Shepardus wrote:Games that stop you farther away from the edges than it looks like you can go. Bonus points if the sprite doesn't even touch the edge of the screen before you hit the boundary.
Srsly, this is extremely irritating. Why would anyone ever choose to do that to their game?

Why I came here though is to share that nothing is more irritating than dying somewhere that you know you should have been able to survive :evil:

Also, the stupid unpredictability of first stage chains in Mars Matrix. I can't seem to get it to be the same every time. In fairness to the game, though, the difference between +690 chain and +750 chain or whatever is basically just a rounding error in the scheme of things. Probably even less significant is the most frustrating offender which is the last chain that you get killing the boss (usually between +300 and +350 or so; Will end up being +260 or maybe even +160 for no apparent reason, occasionally). What is far less frustrating but makes far bigger of a difference is the difference between getting +1400 and up to +1600 in stage 3. Occasionally as low as +1300, which actually does bug me.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:J.B. 5th's voice. He almost sounds like Cartman.
"PEH-WEH EEHHP!!"
Certainly makes that South Park illustration Joker Jun did for the game funnier.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

hahaha, I didn't know that existed!
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Yup

Pretty sure this is official, since it was on one of his websites at one point IIRC.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Hahahahah holy shit I never knew about that. That's incredible.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
PuToTyra

Post by PuToTyra »

In QP Shooting Dangerous you can grind boxes forever during stage1 boss fight, thus making scores meaningless.
This is why bullet hell games need timers.
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

PuToTyra wrote:In QP Shooting Dangerous you can grind boxes forever during stage1 boss fight, thus making scores meaningless.
How? Even when I don't shoot the boss and only grind I see how boss HP is decreases.
PuToTyra

Post by PuToTyra »

OmKol wrote:
PuToTyra wrote:In QP Shooting Dangerous you can grind boxes forever during stage1 boss fight, thus making scores meaningless.
How? Even when I don't shoot the boss and only grind I see how boss HP is decreases.
The boxes are going to pile over each other infinitely, way over the upper edge of the screen. Just don't shoot and keep dodging the bullets. Wait for 10 minutes...20...40...2 hours....as long as you want. Then when you do kill her, all these boxes are going to instantly turn into huge score.

I made a replay of that. Look at stage one chain and score. I might upload it, but the grinding part alone is several dozen minutes long so I'd probably have to cut it away to save on youtube upload time and then just have the viewer behold the insta huge ass chain and galaxy worth of stars that almost freezes the game.

http://imgur.com/a/vgJ32?third_party=1
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Metal Black. Metal Black can lick my sack.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I'm really put off by excessive dialogue like in Akai Katana, but dialogue in the right amounts like in Mushi Futa can serve to really amp up the tension certain boss fights (HOHOHO as Reco screams)
I like what DBCS did by displaying the dialogue in subtitles while the actual voices sound like radio chatter which set the tone for that dialogue
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

the music in mushi hd on 360 is off in so many spots it irritates me to no end
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The stage 5 and stage 8 bosses in Parodius Da, I hate them so much! Most of the bosses are more interesting setpieces than actual challenges (at least in the first loop), but these two bosses screw me over almost every time I meet them. The stage 5 boss in particular is an almost guaranteed two or three deaths for me unless I died a bunch in the preceding stages, which lowers rank significantly. Really aggravating to cruise merrily along and then lose so many of my runs at the same spot. Getting a second speed up there makes it far easier, but keeping that speed up ruins rank and removing it with the "Oh!" power-down in stage 6 is just as risky, if not more so, than attempting the stage 5 boss with one speed up. It's the type of boss I think a good strategy would trivialize, but I haven't figured out such a strategy yet and I keep screwing up trying to implement what I observe in videos. I really ought to savestate practice this but I still haven't bothered setting up any savestates even though I've already 1-ALL'd this game...

The stage 8 boss kills me a high percentage of times too but I'm not as infuriated by that one since I rarely reach it in the first place (the stage 5 boss being the primary reason why). I could use some practice on that too.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Something really frustrating about scoring really well but not surviving well enough to actually score well. I had 2.4 million experience after stage 4, but just got destroyed on the boss and stage 5. I could have had 3.4 with a good stage 5! Imagine the score I'd get with an ALL and 3.4 mill! Gah
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

LordHypnos wrote:Something really frustrating about scoring really well but not surviving well enough to actually score well. I had 2.4 million experience after stage 4, but just got destroyed on the boss and stage 5. I could have had 3.4 with a good stage 5! Imagine the score I'd get with an ALL and 3.4 mill! Gah
2.5 or 2.6 million exp after stage 4 followed by utter failure, today >_<
1) Create Scoring System
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Black Heart Mk. II is the worst thing that's ever happened.
qmish

Post by qmish »

:evil: once again i loose my hope to beat Cave's bosses etc. because...

...it's either i need bigger screen and tate...

...or i should give up and accept that my eyes are not as sharps as yours so i cant do things with those tiny movements of tiny pixels between fast bullet curtains

:oops:
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Raiden III Tate doesn't work right on my new PC :(

For some reason, if I go to Tate, it stretches to fill the full widescreen, and I can't make it maintain aspect ratio.

EDIT: Found a solution. In your display settings, set scaling to be done by the video card, and also tell it to override individual application scaling.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Clutch as fuck run of garegga, Out of bombs and lives, get 7mil extend against Glow Squid. Rank quite low i think.

fucking choked it, flew right into the laser beam.
:cry:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

PCE Soldier series and their overlong first stage (not counting Gunhed, haven't played it). Goddamn should I set savestate to get rid of it? :roll:
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

I want to like R-Type, but getting sent back to a checkpoint absolutely kills the game's momentum (and my desire to keep playing).
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Fast Striker maniac.

Getting a joker on devil rank and then dying because the suicide bullets are fucking hidden behind the jokers.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

a few things.

1. playing on an 32 inch LCD TV (tate-able) screen, Eyes get frizzled in after about an hour. For video games in other genres part of the fun is playing them for hours on end, deep into the wee-hours of the morning. Can't do this so well with Shmup games.

2. Having to decide whether or not to RESET after an early first death (like 2nd or 3rd level).

3. Music issues. game music gets old and often just sucks altogether.

4. just the fact that it is a very niche genre and even among people who play video games, 99.9% don't play shmups. Show the results of the annual top 25 poll to the average xbox360 or ps4 owner. Maybe they've heard of a few of the names on that list. Once in a while you'll find someone who remembers playing one of two. People who are interested in 1CCs and high-scores are certainly few and far between. Thank god for internet forums I guess.
'twas in times of old / as eagles screamed // and holy streams flowed / from the Heaven-Fells
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Games that rely on a large stock of bombs that resets with every life. Typically Cave games.

Whenever I check out videos of 1CCs the people I see playing are typically much worse at the games than I am, but whenever I try, I can't beat the game. Usually due to overconfidence constantly killing me with a full bomb stock, rather that just bombing the shit out of those situations that I KNOW are tough ("If I can juuust make it through this time, I'll have a better run with a better score").

It happens every.single.time.
Of course, I shouldn't underestimate how big of a skill proper bomb usage is.

I know if you're a cool enough dude you'll beat the game without bombing and get a huge score bonus, but I'm not that cool.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

just learn the game, then you can stop thinking about bombing entirely
if you die, it's either because you did a movement mistake that's impossible to react to with a bomb or something that's immediately obvious as a dangerous situation and you'll know you have to bomb before it gets too dangerous
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Every situation is dangerous, better not play the game
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Bananamatic wrote:something that's immediately obvious as a dangerous situation and you'll know you have to bomb before it gets too dangerous
That's what you'd think, right. I have that stupid "with some luck I can juuuuust push through here" mindset that I seem to be unable to let go of.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

if you have enough experience with a game, you will know if trying to dodge past that point is a normal thing in your route and how consistent it is for you to pull it off
if something unplanned comes up, you'll immediately know how bad it is and if trying to dodge is suicide
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

And then there are those things that shouldn't be risky at all but you manage to screw it up anyway.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube