Let's make shmup videos!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
roushimsx

Let's make shmup videos!

Post by roushimsx »

First of all, you're going to need EK-MAME to record videos from within MAME. The latest version is built off of MAME 0.90, so you're going to be missing out on some of the latest updates (most of which don't really apply to shmups so for the most part you're going to be ok)

Now when you run it, select the game you want to play (assuming you have the romset), click Play and Record AVI from the drop down File menu, and select the codec. Uncompressed and Intel IYUV are pretty much the only way to go on this front. I suggest IYUV since it's still lossless and takes up much less space than Uncompressed.

Hit the Home key to begin and end recording at any time when the game is running.

Now when you get done, playing, the resulting AVI will be in the /avi subfolder of the directory that you have EK-MAME in. Drag and drop that bad boy into VirtualDub, select the range you want to encode (home for selection start, end for selection end), and then do a two stage encode to XviD (or DivX, if you really insist on using that for whatever reason). Don't forget to encode the audio! (96kbps is just fine for most of these games).

Post your results (or if you need further clarification on how to use VirtualDub, let me know. I take a lot of details for granted since I've been using it for a few years to do basic encoding). Hell, if you want you can use Windows Movie Maker, too :)

Introduction Sequence for Pulstar
Introduction sequence for Gunlock/RayForce

(off Topic)
Golden Axe US Attract Mode
Infamous decapitation scene from the japanese attract mode of Golden Axe
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

That site doesn't work. Can you email me the emulator?

cigsthecat @ hotmail.com (remove the spaces)
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

More Off Topic Stuff

Daraku Tenshi - The Fallen Angels Intro & Attrack Mode

Magical Drop III Intro & Attract Mode

Direct Link to EK-MAME

Another nice thing to try is record an input and then play it back later, recording an AVI
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

wow, good to see you back roush!

haven't seen you around the forum for 6 months or so...
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

I may as well point out that snes9x also has the ability to record to avi, again the next process is to go through VirtualDub.

It would be nice to have a repository for some/all systems really, both for super-play and for average-play (because we don't always know what it is we're buying and words don't typically explain how a game plays all too well).
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Stormowl wrote:wow, good to see you back roush!

haven't seen you around the forum for 6 months or so...
It may be longer than that, I can't really remember quite well. Nonetheless, I've been quite busy and at the same time too poor to stay up to speed on shmups (I've yet to pick up Chaos Field or any of the 2 in 1 Psikyo packs for PS2 :( )
Tychom wrote:I may as well point out that snes9x also has the ability to record to avi, again the next process is to go through VirtualDub.

It would be nice to have a repository for some/all systems really, both for super-play and for average-play (because we don't always know what it is we're buying and words don't typically explain how a game plays all too well).
Look in the /stoofoo/videos/ folder where I have those MAME videos and check out some of the SNES captures I've done with SNES9x. I've done quite a few more but I deleted a lot of them to save space on the server.

Of particular interest would probably be Axelay and a masturbatory video showing off a rad jump i did in Umihara Kawase :)

The playstation videos I ripped directly from the discs when possible, and I've been abusing the AVI output on VisualBoyAdvance as well (though it messes up with Medal of Honor Infiltrator, which is depressing since I want to showcase the badassity of that game for everyone to see)
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

roushimsx wrote:[
Of particular interest would probably be Axelay and a masturbatory video showing off a rad jump i did in Umihara Kawase :)
Ha, it's almost as if the planets have aligned, all we've been talking about (well, some of us, the more enlightened ones at least) on the shmups IRC for a week has been Umihara ;)

</end offtopic>
Style-0

Post by Style-0 »

Oh, man I have to check that mame version! If I'd knowed about this one it would have saved my some time. I been trying with different (and combursome) solutions lately to make gameplay videos.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

I may check out that MAME version soon. I'd just like to thank you, though, for turning me onto Umihara Kawase. This game is great!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Just out of curiousity, but I wanted to ask visitors here if there would be any kind of demand for a public BitTorrent tracker dedicated to shmup replay videos?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Icarus wrote:Just out of curiousity, but I wanted to ask visitors here if there would be any kind of demand for a public BitTorrent tracker dedicated to shmup replay videos?
I commented before on that FTP replay server thats been up the past few weeks, it would be better to serve them as torrents. Although by now I imagine people mostly have downloaded what they need. Still would be good if it gets updated regularly IMHO.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Icarus wrote:Just out of curiousity, but I wanted to ask visitors here if there would be any kind of demand for a public BitTorrent tracker dedicated to shmup replay videos?
I think that's a good idea, there's certainly enough interest going around so the odds are there's always going to be someone seeding them.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
blip

Post by blip »

Just FYI, I created an unofficial patch for Final Burn Alpha that allows for AVI recording in a similar vein. It's available here. My brother used it to create a simply insane Mars Matrix recording here. Full disclosure: that isn't a "fair" replay by any stretch -- he used slowdown and savestates. I've been looking forward to a Metal Slug replay, but so far no one has stepped up.
I would love to see this happen. I have the old "swordplay" RSG videos sitting on my hard drive, as well as a DDPDOJ playthrough. I'm sure there are plenty of gems hiding on other hard drives out there as well.
kemical

Post by kemical »

yes that would be cool, there is an ftp but I haven't really checked it out yet.
I plan on making some videos and HOPEFULLY replays, but they will be from pcboards, and i still need to get a little jamma system setup close to my pc.