Akai Katana Shin PAL confirmed!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Deca

Re: Akai Katana Shin PAL confirmed!

Post by Deca »

Ooh classy. Good thing Cave doesn't make shooters anymore I guess :P
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Thankfully, the 360 is on its last legs in Japan, with some retailers having already ceased stocking it. I'd give it a year and a half more, tops.

Of course, there's the possibility that we'll have another Dreamcast situation, and ultra-niche games will continue to come out long after the hardware's considered dead. Which would actually be unfortunate, since none of them will be region-free.

Didn't think I'd ever be considering a PS3 purchase, though the Vita could just as easily end up as the new console du jour for shmups, and Cave is confirmed to be making one for it.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

^^^Thought the CAVE Vita game was confirmed to be a social networking game?
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

They announced two Vita games--Shirotsuku (a medieval Japanese-themed social game) and "Cave Shooting Game."

Maybe after the 360 is dead, we'll have an easy way of softmodding it, as is currently possible with the original Xbox?
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Maybe I am slowpoke but we should voice our support for that 4:3 ratio fix here RSG might request it from CAVE.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Zeron wrote:Maybe I am slowpoke but we should voice our support for that 4:3 ratio fix here RSG might request it from CAVE.
I asked this before and didn't even get a nod here, but I'm willing to try their Facebook page to fix the arcade wide mode issue.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Yeah we need to whine more about this issue 8)
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Rising Star said they'd have answers to the region code question in 2012. I'd say it's time to ask them again.

(I don't use Facebook because I don't want to give them my phone number.)
1up

Post by 1up »

Is it still scheduled to come out in march in EU?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

1up wrote:Is it still scheduled to come out in march in EU?
It's odd, they made the announcement on Facebook but theirs nothing on their site or anything about it. When DFK was announced it had its own page on their site almost immediately.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

There hasn't been a release month announced, just "first half of 2012."

An article linked in the future of Cave thread confirms it hasn't been delayed or canceled.

I think RSG is still figuring out how they want to market the game. I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up as "Crimson Katana" or something.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Estebang wrote:There hasn't been a release month announced, just "first half of 2012."

An article linked in the future of Cave thread confirms it hasn't been delayed or canceled.

I think RSG is still figuring out how they want to market the game. I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up as "Crimson Katana" or something.
They can even call it "ninja robots" if they want, I dont care as long as they publish it!
torisuRSG

Post by torisuRSG »

Hi, I don't yet have any information on the region yet, but we have just opened an office in the US, and Akai Katana will be published in North America.

It will be called "Akai Katana" and released in Q2 2012 - I'll be more specific nearer the release date. We intend a simultaneous release in the PAL region and North America.

Thanks,

torisu
denpanosekai

Post by denpanosekai »

torisuRSG wrote:Hi, I don't yet have any information on the region yet, but we have just opened an office in the US, and Akai Katana will be published in North America.

It will be called "Akai Katana" and released in Q2 2012 - I'll be more specific nearer the release date. We intend a simultaneous release in the PAL region and North America.

Thanks,

torisu
Best of luck, I'll be right there supporting you guys. I'm hoping this also includes Way of the Samurai 4.
Somehow I still think publishing niche Japanese games is a viable business plan, as long as expectations are kept in check.
zendor118

Post by zendor118 »

This is great news! Glad I held out and did not import Akai Katana just yet. Hopefully all the other great CAVE shmups follow in-line. I dont have a 360-J so having these games region free in any manner is good for me!
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

I'd like to call this decision baller as fuck. I've readied my wallet.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

torisuRSG wrote:Hi, I don't yet have any information on the region yet, but we have just opened an office in the US, and Akai Katana will be published in North America.

Thanks,

torisu

That's great! I hope it will be a disc release.

I hope your expansion into North America is successful.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

MR_Soren wrote: That's great! I hope it will be a disc release.
Pretty sure it will be.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Thanks,

torisu
Awesome news! I just hope whatever you release here will also be open to NTSC J console owners - I'll probably end up buying it either way but it would be great to actually be able to play it :3
sh00g

Post by sh00g »

Thanks,

torisu
I didn't expect this! It'll be nice to get a hold of this game especially since CAVE didn't want to use english menus on their JP release. (Not trying to sound like they should have, just sayin')
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I already have the JP edition, but if this is on disc I'll definitely re-buy it.
yyr

Post by yyr »

torisuRSG wrote:Akai Katana will be published in North America.
Fantastic news.

I stopped importing after Pink Sweets/MMP because I'd been importing so many games and just didn't have the time to devote to playing them all... I've never seen or played Akai Katana... but I will preorder this anyway, just because this is such fantastic news. It is great that there is still someone willing to bring these titles to NA. THANK YOU! =)
http://www.yyrgames.com
I exclusively make arcade-style games. Now available for Steam and Xbox =)
spl

Post by spl »

Some of us are still waiting for DDP:R to be released in our PAL regions.. any news about this torisuRSG?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

spl wrote:Some of us are still waiting for DDP:R to be released in our PAL regions.. any news about this torisuRSG?
Just order it from ozgameshop or something like what I did.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

AntiFritz wrote:
spl wrote:Some of us are still waiting for DDP:R to be released in our PAL regions.. any news about this torisuRSG?
Just order it from ozgameshop or something like what I did.
I ordered it from Zavvi in the end.

Still funny that RSG had no problem with getting KOFXIII out to Australia which got sold before it's release date meanwhile people who pre-ordered DDP:R were messed around.

Two questions for torisu:
1. Will we see Akai Katana in Australia?
2. Will Rising Star fix the 4:3 zooming issue? (I've mentioned this several times on here and the Facebook page to no avail)
-SD-

Post by -SD- »

Rising Star Games have updated their website with an Akai Katana page.

It's also available now to pre-order on Amazon UK for £22.79, with a release date of April 27th.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

"Full HD, full 16:9 support. Originally released in arcades at a 4:3 aspect ratio, Akai Katana has been reworked for the home console environment and features gorgeous full HD graphics in 16:9.

Xbox 360-only Features. A full upgrade from the arcade version, Akai Katana includes an updated, more intense game system, a brand new stage and boss. Dash in close to enemies to get “guiding ore”, trigger your special mode and cancel bullets to earn points! These features are sure to keep people playing and maintain word of mouth.

Revamped Interface. The CAVE standard 360 user interface has been completely reworked with full animation and a graphical interface. Akai Katana’s eye-catching UI gives an attractive finish to the overall package.

Arcade Mode Included. For those who enjoy the game system of the arcade version, a 4:3 HD version of the Arcade game is included as well."

Aspect ratio fix :)
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

I wouldn't get your hopes up, it could be like the whole "black label arranged mode" wording fiasco with the DFK page where its just a misunderstanding.
TSJ

Post by TSJ »

Illyrian wrote: Arcade Mode Included. For those who enjoy the game system of the arcade version, a 4:3 HD version of the Arcade game is included as well."

Aspect ratio fix :)
Sorry to say, but don't get your hopes up... that's in the JP release. It's not good; it just forces the game fullscreen and cuts off the sides. You can move the ship completely offscreen.

Edit: just had a quick re-check and it's a bit better than I remembered. You can move the ship offscreen in the left-hand corners, and you lose the hitbox if you move it all the way to the left, and the boss healthbars are barely visible, but it does get a bit more (i.e almost all) of the play area onscreen than I remembered.