I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Deca

Re: I DID IT

Post by Deca »

I've actually played EspRaDe a fair amount, it's always given me a bit of trouble for whatever reason. By stage 3 the bosses are always a bit of an ordeal for me, the length of the fight wears on me. I should give it a few runs and see how I'm feeling, it's been a while.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

DDP was my first and only 1-ALL, as I am a noob. It's an awesome feeling though...

Now, if only I can figure out that last pattern on the stage 1-6 boss without bombing. It's just brutal.
Zengeku3
Banned User

Post by Zengeku3 »

Deca wrote:I've actually played EspRaDe a fair amount, it's always given me a bit of trouble for whatever reason. By stage 3 the bosses are always a bit of an ordeal for me, the length of the fight wears on me. I should give it a few runs and see how I'm feeling, it's been a while.
Its patterns are harder to dodge than the 1st loop stuff in DDP so its not too odd if its troublesome. But yeah, you should go play it. It has some really awesome boss fights. I would play it more but I don't because the hitbox is so hard to get used to and so easy to get un-used to after you start playing something else.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Deca wrote:
Skykid wrote:Progear is tougher than Dodonpachi by quite a stretch, but the scoring system is gloriously fun.
Would you recommend going for the US or JP version? I've just been messing around a bit with the US version experimenting with the scoring system, I really hated this game until I figured out what was going on with scoring and now I feel really compelled to play it. It's getting me almost as bad as Ketsui with stupid deaths due to focusing on scoring, however. I have a way of cornering myself on boss patterns trying to set off a big diamond chain.
JP all the way. US version is considered a bit of a cop out on default because it's easier.

Was the first (edit: 2nd!) Cave game I 1cc'd, so yes, it's tough, but it's perfectly clearable (Spadgy did the same as we were head to head competing at the time.)

One thing though: get that scoring under your belt and then experiment with the mechanic. Bullet cancelling into gems not only gives you points but when you can utilise it properly it will save your ass from getting killed at some crucial moments.

Those weirdo bullet spreads take some getting used to, but once you got the feel for it it's a hell of a rush. Still Cave's best Hori by a mile.
Last edited by Skykid on Sun May 20, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Progear is sex. Probably my favorite CAVE game - scoring is much simpler than one would think, very satisfying, and tremendously practical. Art is absolutely amazing, and the patterns are humongously creative. The loop, however, is just bullcrap. Much worse than even Dragon Blaze's loop.

You also can't hug the bottom/left side of the screen like you can in most CAVE games, too, so that's nice. Have to stay vigilant.
Deca

Post by Deca »

May not be the place to ask about this, but whenever I run progear on my home machine it stretches it obnoxiously. I've tried messing with all the available settings and just can't seem to get it to display at 4:3, I haven't had this issue with any vert.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Deca wrote:May not be the place to ask about this, but whenever I run progear on my home machine it stretches it obnoxiously. I've tried messing with all the available settings and just can't seem to get it to display at 4:3, I haven't had this issue with any vert.
I have a feeling that's something to do with a weird CPS2 aspect ratio. Obviously on a cab it can be adjusted, but I'm not sure Progear is meant to be true 4:3?

Could be totally wrong though.

cools

Post by cools »

Skykid wrote:
Deca wrote:May not be the place to ask about this, but whenever I run progear on my home machine it stretches it obnoxiously. I've tried messing with all the available settings and just can't seem to get it to display at 4:3, I haven't had this issue with any vert.
I have a feeling that's something to do with a weird CPS2 aspect ratio. Obviously on a cab it can be adjusted, but I'm not sure Progear is meant to be true 4:3?

Could be totally wrong though.
You are totally wrong. Other than one or two titles that have a widescreen mode, all 15/24/31k games are 4:3.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Progear's native aspect in MAME is something weird, I think setting it to 'stretch to full' instead of auto or the other way around should do the trick.

Wasn't US version easier than Japan for Progear?

Also, seconding ESPRade as a target. That's a bloody awesome game, I got as far as Stage 5 and hit a roadblock. Not easy but very nice to look at and very nice to play (in Shmupmame).
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Playing progear on mame full screen makes it fit my 16:9 monitor... it doesn't look stretched at all but i assume it is.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

cools wrote: You are totally wrong. Other than one or two titles that have a widescreen mode, all 15/24/31k games are 4:3.
Ah ok, figures. Dunno why Progear is so funny then, but I always noticed it likes to settle into an odd aspect ratio.

cools

Post by cools »

CPS2 doesn't have square pixels.
Markx

Post by Markx »

Congratulations, that is a nice achievement! I am fan of Psikyo Shooters but their games are very hard, Dodonpachi is nice but feels old a little I think, a good to 1cc after this is Giga Wing that game is quite manageable, have fun!
Currently listening to: Counting Crows - Mr. Jones, The Last Waltz - Old Boy, The Prodigy - Firestarter, Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood, R.E.M - Losing My Religion, "He's On the Beach" - Kirsty MacColl, In-Grid - Tu Es Foutu
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Wasn't US version easier than Japan for Progear?
On default settings, yes. You can set the difficulty from 1-8 I think where the US one is set to 2 and the Japanese one to 4, if I am not mistaken. The US version is significantly easier on the default settings but should be the same if set to 4.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Markx wrote:Congratulations, that is a nice achievement! I am fan of Psikyo Shooters but their games are very hard, Dodonpachi is nice but feels old a little I think, a good to 1cc after this is Giga Wing that game is quite manageable, have fun!
If you're talking to me, I don't plan to stop Dragon Blaze anytime soon. I got a second loop to handle and a Bananamatic to beat.

Have fun 1ccing Psikyo's games. They really are among the best shmups in terms of pure dodging.
Last edited by RNGmaster on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Did you ever end up looping Gunbird 2, RNGmaster?
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Hell no. Only played it for two weeks or so. Couldn't crack the Stage 6 boss.

Nice title, but I hated the scoring system. Might come back to it if I ever make substantial progress in DB, though.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yeah, that game is brutal, and the scoring is nuts. I really like it, but I'm horrible at it.

I need to get DB. Can't get enough Psikyo/Raizing lately
Deca

Post by Deca »

I've been playing Strikers 1 for the last couple days and getting my ass handed to me. Have yet to make it past the 4th boss :c I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Early Psikyo is annoying for me. Mainly it's because of how annoying charge attacks are to time. Psikyo only really gets into their stride starting at Strikers 2, in my opinion.

I haven't played Strikers 1, so I can't offer any advice, but considering how much Gunbird 1 frustrated me I wouldn't spend much time on the earlier games if I were you.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Deca wrote:I've been playing Strikers 1 for the last couple days and getting my ass handed to me. Have yet to make it past the 4th boss :c I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Depends on the ship, to a degree. Switching crafts helps as the mechanics change depending on the charge shot/bomb configuration differences. I've found switching ships after long periods of time has helped my progression in this game, since I personally think there is good variety in ship balance. I've gone from the Zero to Spitfire and now to the Mustang and so far so good.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Deca

Post by Deca »

OK wow, Strikers 2 feels considerably easier and somewhat better overall. Hit 1-5 on my first credit.

One thing about this game that's always bothered me though...is it just me or are all the boss names mixed up? Like it says your target is the Graff Zeppelin and you fight a boat? :s

EDIT: I guess that's just the...name of the boat, as the other ones seem correct. I could swear when I was playing Strikers 1+2 on psx a while back it was showing me pictures of bosses from other stages at the beginning of each level. Maybe I'm just imagining things lol
man9child

Post by man9child »

I always throught the first Strikers game was a little bit easier than the second. Never cleared either one, though.

Ship selection is really important on the first one, the charge shots are very different between fighters. For 2 it's Flying Pancake or bust. :lol:
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Strikers 1945 2 easier than 1 ???
yea right
Deca

Post by Deca »

I'm definitely finding the first 5 stages easier than the first game, but past that point it seems to spike considerably.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

RNGmaster wrote:Psikyo only really gets into their stride starting at Strikers 2, in my opinion.
Big Psikyo fan here and I agree. The thing I dislike most about their early games is the automatic powering down. I'm not sure what purpose that serves other than to annoy.

I think Strikers 99 and DB are top-notch games, just not for me. I don't like the tech bonuses or the dragon shot, otherwise I'd be inclined to play them if only for their popularity here lately.

GB2's first loop I think is overrated in terms of difficulty. There are really only a few spots that I would call difficult (mainly the 4th, 5th, and 6th bosses) and it's definitely easier than DB's first round. The second round, however, is a chore. The coin chaining has always been hard for me and I'm not quite sure why.
Deca

Post by Deca »

I'd really like to clear the first loop of a Psikyo game, but they're all scaring the shit out of me once I see the last few stages. Once you know how to approach the later bosses and everything do you end up playing in a way that avoids really difficult dodging, or do you always end up tapping through really fast clouds of bullets at the end?

8 stages is definitely more than I want in a shooter...but I enjoy Psikyo enough to deal with it. I just need to pick my target and focus I guess. Bust out some save states and whatnot :p
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I managed to clear Sengoku Ace's and Gunbird's first loops after some practice, so if you're not afraid of going to the earlier titles I'd say those are among the easiest ones.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Deca wrote:I'd really like to clear the first loop of a Psikyo game, but they're all scaring the shit out of me once I see the last few stages. Once you know how to approach the later bosses and everything do you end up playing in a way that avoids really difficult dodging, or do you always end up tapping through really fast clouds of bullets at the end?
I think if you distribute your bombs carefully you could clear the first round without having to dodge the nastier patterns, but there's still probably a few you have no choice but to memorize the safe spots. That's part of the fun though, for me. Psikyo games have real rough-looking stuff that can be dodged with just a couple of taps, so it looks impressive to spectators but can be nerve-wracking on the player who has to trust himself (or herself, but get real, girls don't play this shit).

Just gotta believe!
8 stages is definitely more than I want in a shooter...but I enjoy Psikyo enough to deal with it. I just need to pick my target and focus I guess. Bust out some save states and whatnot :p
The Gunbirds and DB only have 7 stages per round, but every Psikyo stage is real short. A two-loop run should take just under half an hour. It's just an intense half-hour.

If you want an easy 1-loop clear, Sengoku Ace is a good pick. If you want a fair challenge that isn't too hard, Stikers 1945 II. And if you want a true test that will take some work, Gunbird 2 or DB are fine goals.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I'd really like to clear the first loop of a Psikyo game, but they're all scaring the shit out of me once I see the last few stages
I was in the same boat for ages. Had cleared a bunch of Cave, a few Raizing, but Psikyo just destroyed me. The first Gunbird is still my only Psikyo 1-All, and it took only a small ammount of work (playing every day for two weeks). I used the chick Nang Ying or whatever her name is and used her charge shot on almost everything outside of popcorn.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc