I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by To Far Away Times »

Darius Twin is okay. The opening level is nice.

Darius Force has some interesting ideas, but it's also kind of a step back from Twin in some ways too.

The real crown jewel of 16 bit console Darius is the Genesis version. A high effort port, with redrawn sprites and refit and rebalanced to a single 4:3 screen. Oh, and you can power up all the way unlike the arcade version! I like it more than the arcade original, to be honest.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Got a surprisingly quick Deathsmiles 1CC Level3 including the extra stage.

The first 6 stages didn't go too well but had a great time at the gorge
and somehow made it to Jitterbug with barely any life.
Thank GOD for that cake :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6h9uDijrrM
DGR114

Post by DGR114 »

I 1CC’d Musha Aleste for the 1st time yesterday. 133,726,180 points on normal difficulty. I’ve found that the rotating shield weapon is the best choice for the later levels.
(Kind of unrelated to the thread, but I’d like to know if there’s a way to upload images from mobile. I want to post screenshots of my scores.)
Steven

Post by Steven »

I finally beat Twin Cobra. Kyuukyoku Tiger is way better.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

DGR114 wrote:I 1CC’d Musha Aleste for the 1st time yesterday. 133,726,180 points on normal difficulty. I’ve found that the rotating shield weapon is the best choice for the later levels.
(Kind of unrelated to the thread, but I’d like to know if there’s a way to upload images from mobile. I want to post screenshots of my scores.)
Congrats! Musha's a great 1cc.

I don't know how to upload from mobile, but imgur should have an android app for that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Kyuukyoku Tiger

no autofire

signed PCB

new personal high score

DONE
Flycast

Post by Flycast »

1CC

R= Game & Difficulty/Ship & System R= Apidya & Normal & Amiga 600 R= Sine Mora EX & Normal & PS3/PS4 R= Under Defeat HD & Normal, Inverted Controls & PS3 R= Strikers 1945 II & Monkey/F5U Flying Pancake, J7W Shinden & PS4
Last edited by Flycast on Tue May 30, 2023 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Playing Now: Gleylancer
Playing Now: Strikers 1945 II

New account name: Lemnear

I'm a Barbie girl in a bullets world.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

NoMiss clear of Drainus's Ridiculous mode, the hardest mode in the game to beat deathless (its second loop is harder than Arcade Hard as enemies have health boosts and there's some nasty patterns not in Arcade Hard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulnmvth0U6Q

I worked on this for a solid three weeks with many runs encountering dumb mistakes like crashing into the ground in stage 1 at the start of the second loop... This run isn't perfect either, I mess up the start of stage 3 by running out of bombs and having to make some crazy luck dodges, and I forget to equip the Ultra Beam I bought at the boss. I also totally forget about the very last Recorder in the game, was too focused on trying to not die!

Non-Stop is supremely useful as a top tier weapon for many enemies where being able to shoot while shielding is useful, particularly against the production model Drainus ships at the end of stage 5.

I've also got a run of Normal difficulty with all the story related stuff available now. I was struggling to find a full playthrough that showcases all the story scenes in one video including the opening tutorial (which has important story elements in it) as well as all the recorders, so I figured I'd just make one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYAe2wsTdk
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Finally 1CC'd Kamui on Menace difficulty!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

1CC'd Image fight World rev. in MAME, came a way with a few questions:

Whats the difference between Japan and World revisions. Obviously Japan has some extra enemies coming from behind throughout and I think enemy bullets are faster but is there anything else that makes Japan significantly harder than World?

Any tips on speed killing the last boss? Sometimes I can do this but not consistently - maybe it's easier with only two pods? What's rank like in this? I've been relying on the blue barrier weapon for an easy kill.
Spoiler
Hoping the next Figma set will be a tie-in with Irem Collection Volume 1
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Whats the difference between Japan and World revisions. Obviously Japan has some extra enemies coming from behind throughout and I think enemy bullets are faster but is there anything else that makes Japan significantly harder than World?
Per Perikles
Perikles wrote:Here are some of the things that are significantly harder in the second loop of the Japan version:

- There's a huge gunship in stage 2 that comes from behind which is not present at all in the World version. You have to follow an extremely strict route to take care of both the gunship and the turrets on the side of the battleship whereas you can easily take out all the turrets in the World version since you have no other threat to deal with at this point in time.

- Stage 4 is a hell of a lot harder in the Japan version. The little spheres that bounce around are much, much faster, the hatches shoot a lot more missiles and the little walkers shoot a lot earlier (and more). You need to be much more precise to kill every enemy before it has an opportunity to strike. It's one of the easiest stages in the World version and (at least from my point of view) one of the hardest in the Japan version, it's like day and night.

- Stage 6 introduces the gliders that paralyze you momentarily in the Japan version, they are not present in the World version. There are also two flying turrets that enter the screen together with the boss from behind which again requires a very tight execution if you don't want to lose your enhancement or even die. The boss might be a tad bit more aggressive in the Japan version, too.

- Stage 7 is another important one. Since enemies in general are more belligerent in the Japan version you can't use the trick to horizontally align your ship with the "1" of the speed selection and only move vertically once in a while during the section with the armada of gunships. Enemies fire way too often to safely keep that position, forcing you to do something else.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

BIL wrote: Per Perikles

Ahh, quoting the old wisdom... many merry lads listened to His tongue, just to be fooled by the shadow of trickery and cheatery.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nahar wrote:

Ahh, quoting the old wisdom... many merry lads listened to His tongue, just to be fooled by the shadow of trickery and cheatery.
Or alternatively, some easily-impressed dilettantes noticed a guy with a heaving raft of basic bitch shitclears - "Wow, who could have that many 1CCs?! 1CCs are extremely hard to get!!" - witnessed the basic-bitch flailings therein, and decided he wasn't some harmless oddball who played lots and lots of videogames, but a devious trickster out to fool everyone into thinking he played lots and lots of videogames.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

BIL wrote:
Nahar wrote:

Or alternatively, some easily-impressed dilettantes noticed a guy with a heaving raft of basic bitch shitclears - "Wow, who could have that many 1CCs?! 1CCs are extremely hard to get!!" - witnessed the basic-bitch flailings therein, and decided he wasn't some harmless oddball who played lots and lots of videogames, but a devious trickster out to fool everyone into thinking he played lots and lots of videogames.
It was never clear to me whether he cheated or not, if I'm being frank, but once I skimmed through the Old Texts and Threads and his defense was pretty weak in some points.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:Or alternatively, some easily-impressed dilettantes noticed a guy with a heaving raft of basic bitch shitclears
More like some self-styled "gurus" with no social skills got easily swayed into jumping on the bandwagon by a troll board that had it out for him and a few other folks. Vidya games are sooper serius business except for those dang jarpigs.
Nahar wrote:his defense was pretty weak in some points.
Hardly an admission of guilt. Plenty of guys have been convicted of crimes they didn't commit because their defense was seen as "weak"; doesn't make them any more guilty. Perikles stated he had no interest in playing live or proving himself to the doubters. Whether or not he cheated is not clear, but it's frustrating to see there's still people who insist that they infalliably "know" he was a cheater without acknowledging or even entertaining the possibility he was the real deal.

Also, why the hell are you dredging up that drama? It's totally irrelevant; whether or not his Youtube footage involved cheating, he did demonstrate in discussions a consistently good knowledge of the games he played, hence why BIL quoted him.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nahar wrote:It was never clear to me whether he cheated or not, if I'm being frank, but once I skimmed through the Old Texts and Threads and his defense was pretty weak in some points.
His statement was indeed weak. I find his writing nothing less than charming - and I wish I'd told more of his casual abusers to eat shit, back then, instead of leaving him to defend himself. I thought it'd be insulting to step in, but in hindsight, it's obvious he didn't regard rando jagoffs with the fondness I do (How 2 Let Down Ur Obsessive Crush Gently :oops:). But this wasn't the time or place to be elusive or wordy.

And unlike the cringemaking "TAS footage" that was paraded around some quarters as a slam-dunk indictment ("Bruh! WHOA! Lookit how he play DAISENPU!"), I get why it leads some to conclude he did cheat. I never agreed with Plasmo and NTSC-J's case, then or now - I think they gave entirely too much credit to rando shit-stirrers - but I was satisfied with the former's verdict that the case remains open, and I totally understand guys like PEG - or you! - being less charitable than I am.

Personally, when I get around to 1ALLing Same1P and Tatsujin Ou - I'll make an Easter holiday of it, once M2 deliver the goods - I may have more to say. Jaimers and chum were skeptical of his footage, and they have to be respected. For my own meager part, I went over his Gun.Smoke 1CC frame-by-frame, and it was exactly the educated flail I'd expect of an avid 1CC collector like Perikles. He cheerfully acknowledged himself as such all the time, back then.

In any case, he contributed a ton of invaluable writing, across a myriad of genres and platforms. So...
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Whether or not his Youtube footage involved cheating, he did demonstrate in discussions a consistently good knowledge of the games he played, hence why BIL quoted him.
^ Yep. trap said as much, too, regarding his 1CC difficulty tier list.
trap15 wrote:He could have flat out cheated every single game and it wouldn't have any bearing on the accuracy of this list, which is easily 500x times better than the shit Japanese one. For the most part I find this list to be very reasonable within +/-2 ranks, which is infinitely better than the lolfest of the JP list which has several games clearly 10 or more points off of reality.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:In any case, he contributed a ton of invaluable writing, across a myriad of genres and platforms.
That was a real loss when he quietly stopped posting a few months after the manufactured debacle. Whether or not you believed his runs were legitimate (maybe they all were, maybe some weren't, who knows), the fact is that he had a great breadth of knowledge about the games that was appreciated and was corroborated by other skilled players of said games. Maybe he was someone with a lifestyle that allowed him to dabble in a wide variety of games at a high level of skill, or maybe he was someone who wanted to immerse himself in the genre but was frustrated when he couldn't play as well as he wanted and resorted to cheating, who knows? There isn't, and was never anything definitive in terms of damning, irrefutable evidence.

It's a damn shame how it went down, and it's absurd seeing someone who knows nothing about it crying about "trickery and cheatery" when at no point in the affair was Perikles' knowledge about the games themselves in question.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Awesome derail guys. Could’ve probably dug that Perikles post out myself but thanks for the assist anyway, BIL. The takeaway being that the significant differences are in the second loop.

Something I forgot to mention was that I had a bunch of old roms about two or three computers ago and there was definitely a version of this game with a third button to eject your front weapon. Anyone remember this?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:
Nahar wrote:

I joined after this all played out, but having read the "problem" thread I think it's beyond the shadow of a doubt that he cheated. It's not the 1CCs (I think I've got half as many as him and I'm resoundingly average on my best day). It's the fact that he took the #1 spot for every score list he entered, unless it was a game with an active scoring community where people might ask for receipts, in which case he always mysteriously ended up safely tucked away in 2nd or 3rd. Again, that could happen for a dedicated player. But if you enter 80 top scores and then the moment anyone asks for evidence you pick up your ball and go home, that's pretty suspect. Anyone who knows that much about shooters knows it's a reasonable request at that point.

Nobody would expect him to match the scores, just showing he could get close while playing at normal speed would be enough. But instead of playing a game for 45 minutes to warm up and submitting the file to shut everyone up, he wrote a long essay about how mean everyone is, came up with a series of technologically improbable reasons for why he couldn't do it, deleted videos off his youtube, said he was going to provide evidence anyway but "life stuff" got in the way, then vanished. If he wasn't guilty, man did he ever do a remarkable job of looking for all the world like he was. The thing is, everyone agreed the guy knew what he was talking about. If he just admitted he didn't have the reflexes to match his knowledge and had let himself get caught up in enjoying the ins & outs of scoring systems at half speed, people probably would have tossed criticisms his way, demanded receipts for future scores and moved on.

As a self-admitted meh player who just banged his skull against the last level of PCE Gradius II every day for a month until I burned out & had to go play rpgs instead, I feel like I have a right to be critical of people who can't just admit they're not Jaimers. If you don't have the patience, energy or time and just want to use TAS to see all of what a game has to offer, go for it. These games were designed to confound Japanese arcade whales with superhuman reflexes to begin with. But don't then turn around and try to claim laurels as a humble ace outdoing everyone else in competition, while they're all going through the mental grinder of playing straight up.
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

BIL wrote: some easily-impressed dilettantes noticed a guy with a heaving raft of basic bitch shitclears - "Wow, who could have that many 1CCs?! 1CCs are extremely hard to get!!" - witnessed the basic-bitch flailings therein,
LOLOL. My doctor says this is why I'm dysmorphic :roll: but I refuse to relinquish my BIRU fandom!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

One thing has changed since that thread, which is we've now had like 5 million cheating scandals exposed and documented in vids by Karl Jobst and the like. We can see more clearly that someone's level of expertise and knowledge has zero bearing on whether they would cheat. Hell 9 out of 10 times it is someone highly respected and liked by their community which is what makes it so sad when they're exposed and so hard to detect in the first place.

I think the community was a bit naive in thinking they could exonerate him by a live demonstration of skill. I mean didn't he have dozens or hundreds of past runs that could've been cheated? At the end of the day only actual proof of cheating or a confession by the player matters in the end. Going with my gut I completely see his reaction as a tacit admission of guilt. Going with hard evidence it was never really proved conclusively.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BIL wrote: Or alternatively, some easily-impressed dilettantes noticed a guy with a heaving raft of basic bitch shitclears - "Wow, who could have that many 1CCs?! 1CCs are extremely hard to get!!" - witnessed the basic-bitch flailings therein, and decided he wasn't some harmless oddball who played lots and lots of videogames, but a devious trickster out to fool everyone into thinking he played lots and lots of videogames.
What got me into shmups early on was Kollison's website and Perikles' long winded 1CC write ups. Seeing the way they approached the genre was really inspiring and eye opening.

It may not be as techincally impressive, but I'd rather focus my time on a bunch of basic bitch shit clears than rack up high scores in a select few games.

It's unfortunate what happened with Perikles. I think he cleared hundreds of games legitimately, got frustrated and cheated on a few and passed those off as clears. Despite that, he really was one of the best players here and his post game write ups were full of character. I also get why he wouldn't want to "prove" anything because he really shouldn't have to for internet strangers. And if you haven't played a specific game in a while your skills deteriorate. I've relearned memo heavy games from scratch so I could clear them again. It isn't trivial. Damn near every game I've cleared in the past I could not do today on a whim. I'd have to relearn all the tricks. I do wish he didn't just take his ball and go home, though I get why he did.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I joined after this all played out, but having read the "problem" thread I think it's beyond the shadow of a doubt that he cheated. It's not the 1CCs (I think I've got half as many as him and I'm resoundingly average on my best day). It's the fact that he took the #1 spot for every score list he entered, unless it was a game with an active scoring community where people might ask for receipts, in which case he always mysteriously ended up safely tucked away in 2nd or 3rd.
This argument was also made back then. Now this matter is (sadly) well and truly exhumed - some would quietly file Perikles' name off his posts, while enjoying their content, but I would call them arrantly gaping cunts - I will say it seems like yet more projection.

I have never witnessed a player more disinterested in #1 spots, or glory-chasing in general, than Perikles. The games I saw him break his ass over the hardest - not "get the #1 score at shumpsfarm," I mean "torture himself and cry to me about it in PMs" - are ones nobody talks about; specifically Battlantis, Argus, and the MD version of Daisenpu. His posts are still there, you can go and read them any time. All display an absolute bloody-minded pursuit of his evident raison d'etre: community reportage, with an emphasis on per-console/per-developer anthologies.

He did similarly with other genres, too. This was a thing he became well-known for doing, over half a decade or so.

Why not stop with a hated game, after securing the #1 spot for his allegedly precious stack? As for his "mysterious" losses... what are they? Every significant one I can recall, he was beaten by the best this community has to offer. R-Type II springs to mind, a game he maintained a great flowering Wildean boner for. Denied by Jaimers, if I recall? The shame.

Or - firing up the projector once more - were these yet further tactics? Losing to only the most credibly unassailable rivals?
Again, that could happen for a dedicated player. But if you enter 80 top scores and then the moment anyone asks for evidence you pick up your ball and go home, that's pretty suspect. Anyone who knows that much about shooters knows it's a reasonable request at that point... nobody would expect him to match the scores, just showing he could get close while playing at normal speed would be enough.
Why would this footage be enough? I looked into creating fake .inp files for "cheat-proof" WolfMAME, years before this. It's not difficult at all. The methodology was actually spelled out on this forum, in a previous furore, over Sikraiken and his STGT performances. People in-thread were already insisting he record himself live at his PC, in anticipation of a trick like this.

Others were ridiculing him for not showing up to "local meets." I wouldn't entertain these requests either, particularly the last one. Holy fuck, yeah ok, maybe if you sign a legally-binding agreement that you'll shower and wear deodorant, my hostile internet rando friend.
The thing is, everyone agreed the guy knew what he was talking about. If he just admitted he didn't have the reflexes to match his knowledge and had let himself get caught up in enjoying the ins & outs of scoring systems at half speed, people probably would have tossed criticisms his way, demanded receipts for future scores and moved on.
That you would bring up reflexes as some key determiner of success, particularly in the infamously route-imperative late 80s / early 90s stuff he tended towards, is again making me think you're imposing your own hangups onto Perikles...
But don't then turn around and try to claim laurels as a humble ace outdoing everyone else in competition, while they're all going through the mental grinder of playing straight up.
...and now you sound bitter. :shock: When did he ever refer to himself as such? Honest question, I'm wracking my brains here. All I ever saw from him was self-deprecation at his quantity/quality balance. On the rare occasions he even referenced performance standards at all.

I'm left with the same conclusion as back then: A bunch of garden-variety casual STG fans projecting their complexes onto an exceptionally productive oddball. Cued up by some idly vicious nerds, who started an off-site character assassination campaign featuring the Discord-stated goal of "turning the masses against him." Great plan, great result. :roll:

The same asterisk, as always, when this wretched matter returns to us: I have to respect Jaimers and chum's skepticism, re: his Same1P and Tatsujin Ou 1ALLs. Those being what they are - more basic, bomb-spamming, survive-at-all-cost clears atop a heaving mountain of such - I'm going to leave that one at "undetermined," pending M2. I saw Plasmo's breakdown of his Tatsujin Ou 1ALL. I wasn't convinced. Those were some quality flops.
Rastan78 wrote:At the end of the day only actual proof of cheating or a confession by the player matters in the end. Going with my gut I completely see his reaction as a tacit admission of guilt. Going with hard evidence it was never really proved conclusively.
Pretty much. You and PEG and everyone else who decided his statement was the nail in the coffin, I respect that. It was ridiculously unfit for purpose. The only reason I didn't (and don't) flat-out say "Look bro, did you cheat Y/N?" is I feel it'd be gifting the larger campaign a dignity I don't intend to.

"Yo, we think Perikles cheatin" o rly? "DEM CLEARZ bruv" uh huh. "And he be snipin ALLL a them SETA n' Dooyong spots" mhm. "Also, Jaimers and chum think his Same1P & Tatsujin Ou 1ALLs demonstrate an unrealistic lack of technical acumen for clears of such rigorously demanding games" oh right, I've not played those, let's - wait, you've already taken a gigantic rancid .flv shit all over him? never mind, great job on the OP lads!
To Far Away Times wrote:What got me into shmups early on was Kollison's website and Perikles' long winded 1CC write ups. Seeing the way they approached the genre was really inspiring and eye opening.

It may not be as techincally impressive, but I'd rather focus my time on a bunch of basic bitch shit clears than rack up high scores in a select few games.
I should say, I don't mean to denigrate 1CCs. I jokingly called Perikles a filthy casual, but he busted his ass for those writeups.

I just don't think 1CCs confer anything besides the most basic competence. Particularly in a time of savestate practice. "If a terrorist madman hijacks the plane and says he'll blow it up unless someone can 1CC the game, you are cleared to proceed." If it's a hard enough game, obviously that changes things. A Gradius III or Raiden II 1ALL isn't a joking matter (hence, I get the cocked eyebrows @ Same1P & Tatsujin Ou).

For first impressions, I'd much rather read Perikles' flowery, fiery 1CC report of a game than watch an Arcadia-calibre superplay of it.
I do wish he didn't just take his ball and go home, though I get why he did.
I wish I'd been a lot more direct with him when he confided, many years beforehand, that he was getting annoyed by serial downvotes on 30+minute videos within five minutes of uploading, and with various troll threads on the usual imageboard sewers. All I did was half-jokingly tell him not to worry about shit people say in private but won't say to your face. Turns out the cheerful eccentric really didn't laugh off internet jagoffs the way old shitbirds like me do, who'd have thought. Image

I post here way too frequently. There's a six-month gap of silence in 2019 where I told the regulars of the few threads I maintain that I was busy, which I was. But I was mostly just sick of the internet. So I can't blame anyone else for going "fuck it." Particularly someone as similarly all/nothing as he appeared to be.
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Something I forgot to mention was that I had a bunch of old roms about two or three computers ago and there was definitely a version of this game with a third button to eject your front weapon. Anyone remember this?
That sounds amazing :shock: But sadly no, can't say I've seen that before. Maybe a MAME cheat? Or are you thinking of Image Fight II (PCE-CD)? That one has a dedicated Pod Shoot button for your options, much like the PS1/SS Arcade Gears and PS4/NSW ACA versions of the first game.

Christ, the thought of hitting a button and having the equipped Weapon just blast off to catch the boss square in his fuckin mouth for a one-shot kill is givin me beast wood. Image "RELEASE TEH RESTRAIN DEVICE" *FWOOSH* **PON** GRINDAN POINT TALLY SFX + OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD STAGE CLEAR JINGLE Image
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

There have been deeper, darker mysteries around these parts than the demise of Perikles. I present to you Farm Cold Case Files: The Problem with NobunagaLionKing

Be prepared to read a shmupping strategy treatise that puts Prometheus to shame. And notice where I quoted part of his post he went back and edited it. Trying to cover your tracks eh? After all these years we need to know. Who is the real Nobunaga!?

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=60
BIL

Post by BIL »

"NOB" LMAO Image AND a furry too (`w´メ)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:That you would bring up reflexes as some key determiner of success, particularly in the infamously route-imperative late 80s / early 90s stuff he tended towards, is again making me think you're imposing your own hangups onto Perikles...
That was one of the main accusations against him. That he had claimed to be able to get through games quickly because he was good at routing, but the footage that was available of him playing showed "reflex" type reads that were getting him through. Footage that disappeared IIRC.

Edited to add: These aren't "hangups" I'm raising about myself here, you're reading that backwards. They're self-acknowledged limitations, expanding the horizons of which is exactly why I got so into this genre. You'll have a hard time improving if you can't acknowledge them, but that's not the same as being trapped or held back by them, just the opposite. Where I am now - mediocrity - is way ahead of where I was a few years ago.
Last edited by Sengoku Strider on Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Up to 2-4 on Kyuukyoku Tiger, although I could have definitely gone further if I hadn't had to go to work. As soon as the stage started I had to throw away all of the 8 or 9 lives I had so I could enter my name and get a picture of my results screen and then hurry to take a shower and get on the train before I was late.

I'd like to get the 2-ALL or even just get to 2-6 without autofire, but the enemy bullet speed becomes terrifyingly fast as soon as you get to 2-1 and recovery becomes very difficult, so once you die you may have to pull off some crazy stuff and/or use multiple bombs to recover, depending on where your checkpoint is, but it is possible.

More people should play this game; it's good and fun and cool and stuff.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
BIL wrote:That you would bring up reflexes as some key determiner of success, particularly in the infamously route-imperative late 80s / early 90s stuff he tended towards, is again making me think you're imposing your own hangups onto Perikles...
That was one of the main accusations against him. That he had claimed to be able to get through games quickly because he was good at routing, but the footage that was available of him playing showed "reflex" type reads that were getting him through.
I know! As I said, these are the same self-referential, square peg/round hole conjectures that were raised back then. Glory-hunting, by breaking his ass in half over games nobody talked about then or now; superhuman TAS reflexes, in shitclears full of brutal deaths and score-destroying bombspam; devious HS table tactics to remain under the radar, like enduring perpetual humiliation at all the games he treasured most.

MarkMSX / The Electric Underground made an entire video full of the same, with his face attached to it and everything. Ironically enough, he promptly quit the forum at the lukewarm reception, a Perikles imitation even more uncharitable than the video itself. Image

He evidently must've been pretty good at routing shitclears, the way he convincingly kusoed Gun.Smoke, a notably twitchy game one of his most qualified accusers was perplexed by at the time. Reflexes are useful for error correction, and I saw a lot of en-route errors in that footage. His Tatsujin Ou 1ALL looked much the same, but I've not played that beyond a casual st3 to enjoy the first-class tunes and punishing repetition - it's like going to the gym! - so my opinion is null.
Footage that disappeared IIRC.
The more I revisit this fiasco... scratch that. The more I so much as mention the guy's username only to find myself returned to the least satisfying episode of Columbo ever, the more I think this was his way of telling our "community" to collectively eat shit and die.

I was surprised and disappointed, and I consider it as hopelessly ill-judged as his statement, mind. I just start to think, lately, that he really wasn't kidding years back, when he told me he detested the drama and name-dropping he was already starting to attract, and I just laughed him off. I was a bad Shumps Fren. 3;

I'm guessing the reveal of a literal autistic plot to "turn the masses against him" didn't help. \(O_O)/ That doesn't even sound fucking real. :shock: Image

It sounds like something I'd make up to amuse myself. Image
Edited to add: These aren't "hangups" I'm raising about myself here, you're reading that backwards. They're self-acknowledged limitations, expanding the horizons of which is exactly why I got so into this genre. You'll have a hard time improving if you can't acknowledge them, but that's not the same as being trapped or held back by them, just the opposite. Where I am now - mediocrity - is way ahead of where I was a few years ago.
That's excellent to hear; this isn't an easy genre to stick with! All I am saying is you shouldn't assume others are affected in the same categories, or to the same degree. Put three people in a room with a Hard Shump, and you'll hear all kinds of conflicting shit about what's causing their carbonised disintegrating asses to be hurled back in their sooty bewildered faces.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Well, this exploded much further than what I expected. Just to clarify: I was just puning around with BIL, and had no intention at all of sparking drama or starting a flame.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Don't worry about it bud. 3; It's a part of communal legend at this point. Debate sure to rage long after we've all gone to the great big blackman.txt in the sky.