I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Angry Hina

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Angry Hina »

@velo
I've used thudner sword to kill the midbosses underwater and in the asteroid field. Works ok, if you manage to get good hits but for the rest of the game, its nearly useless. This was my run with the sword:

https://youtu.be/2aGhFMUWkvY
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Finally got the 1cc for Huntdown Arcade Mode: Misconducts. Hoodlum Dolls are the "easy" route and I had the 1cc for all 3 characters in that mode, but Misconducts took a little longer to nail down. Teddy Taxman was the real hurdle. His fight is very chaotic. Murdoch was the wall for a while, but I found a safe spot for Murdoch's grenade phase that makes that fight pretty much 100% reliable. The hard part with Teddy is his chaotic second phase. The first phase is just an autoturret memo section. But when he enters the arena, the fight becomes unpredictable. Teddy jumps around wildly and has a melee attack that comes out instantly when you are close to him. It's hard to keep your distance however, because the arena is small. But more important than anything is to make sure you kill the autoturrets during that second phase! If you stay on top of the spawning turrets and avoid Teddy, you will keep plenty of avenues for escape handy. It seems counter-intuitive to avoid damaging the boss, but you really want to prioritize the spawning turrets so they don't get out of hand. You can gradually whittle Teddy down while staying just outside of his shotgun's range, and manipulating him to jump rather than shoot at you.

Teddy is definitely the hardest Misconducts boss. Unholy Goalie is probably my favorite fight in Huntdown, but it's very patternized and you can get it down easily after a little practice. Arcade mode is actually quite generous with weapon spawns in the Goalie fight, so if you can beat Unholy in Story mode, you will beat him here too. As always, you want to prioritize adds whenever the boss spawns them. But Unholy is nice enough to leap offscreen when he does this, which other bosses in the game do NOT do. As far as I know, Unholy will stay in the background until all the adds are dead, so you can leave one alive and take the chance to grab a new weapon if you need one. The green laser absolutely shreds Unholy, if you thought to grab one before that fight. There are two green laser spawns just before his boss room and you can enter the boss fight with 300+ ammo. Not that you need it, since there are tons of weapons in his boss arena (they drop from the mooks.)

The other boss fights in the Misconducts route aren't hard. TNT Randy is a pushover when you know what he's going to do. Nadja is only hard in her final phase, so save a few rockets and use them on her final third of health.

I got the 1cc with Anna Conda, but any character should work. Anna's beretta is nice for rushing mobs down in the levels, but the easiest way to get past the levels without taking deaths is just use the weapons they give you and don't try to save them for bosses.

I'm not looking forwards to doing the Heatseekers 1cc. I fucking hate Sonny Rooster.

Edit: I believe I just no-deathed hoodlum dolls arcade. It's hard to tell, because I didn't keep track of the medals for the entire run and I couldn't find anything in the results screen after finishing arcade. But I don't remember dying, and finished with 8 lives, which I believe is the max I know how to find in that particular route. There may be more, of course, somewhere else in the levels, but I can't remember ever having more than 8 lives.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Just got the 1CC in Cotton Rock'n'Roll with Luffee. Really fun game with a lot of variety and much to experiment with. I don't know if I'll try to improve on my score. It's more likely I'll try to clear the game with another character. I'm eyeing Appli, her throw mechanic looks like it could be fun.
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

EmperorIng wrote:
Wes112 wrote:I managed to 2-All 1cc Under Defeat earlier today after choking in stage 2-5 numerous times (including one choke at the very last phase of the last boss). My first 2-All clear in any game ever. Something I never thought I'd accomplish :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq4Hrgobvgk
Amazing accomplishment. Big congratulations man, on such a difficult game. Luckily your deaths didn't deter you and perhaps the lower rank gave you an extra fighting chance. You handled the 2-5 boss excellently, panic bombing aside. :mrgreen:
I think you had commented on my video but thanks again! I actually ended up getting another 2-All along with a PB. Equal amount of panic bombing though :D
pja

Post by pja »

Cleared Darius Gaiden as my first clear of the year as well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tN5bc_aq8

I played this before on my Saturn, but the Darius Cozmic Collection has a very useful practice mode, really glad this got ported to PC.
... I didn't look up any strategies or routes because I don't really like doing that, but it seems I ended up discovering the same "easy" route as everyone else. I guess it really is obvious which one is the easiest :P
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Don't feel bad about discovering that route, it's still a tough clear even on the "easy" route. Congrats!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, don't sell yourself short. You also did that without the 30hz autofire most players use - no mean feat!
EmperorZetta

Post by EmperorZetta »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utlk9EL1qcY

Finally managed to 1cc the hard mode of Star Hunter DX. My first clear of the year, too!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It didn't take too long but I got a 1cc of Namco's Phelios!
I have always liked this game back on the Genesis, but the arcade game is much better and much prettier. This is important because outside of its suped-up graphics and music, it's pretty standard and simple for a shooter. Watch my 1cc here!

Proud of my silly custom thumbnail. The 'walkthrough' is something of a running joke. :twisted:
Spoiler

Once I set up savestates for every level section and for bosses, it was pretty straightforward to learn. The biggest chokepoints were the stage 4 boss, Antaeus (the fire giant) and the final boss Typhon. Why? Because at full power, the rank makes these fights basically unwinnable, meaning you need to -or will just flat-out- die during the boss battle to lower the boss rank in order to win. Boss health and aggression drops noticeably on death. Basically this means save two lives just for the 1cc tax!

I love how dynamic and different the stages are. Some think they're slow, but they are less like shmup stages and remind me more of an action game with all of their setpieces and new ideas/encounters. Though I think my favorites may be the fire level and the river styx, because of the non-stop aggression of enemies from all over the screen harrying you during the entire stage. I love this Namco era's bombastic orchestral soundtracks (like in Legend of Valkyrie).
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

tiger-heli 2-ALL nO-miss
this game's cute as fuCk :3
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
jehu

Post by jehu »

EmperorIng wrote:It didn't take too long but I got a 1cc of Namco's Phelios!
I have always liked this game back on the Genesis, but the arcade game is much better and much prettier. This is important because outside of its suped-up graphics and music, it's pretty standard and simple for a shooter.
Nice! And you're right on the presentation here - great even now, and especially for its time. Enjoyed looking through this a lot - great execution on your part. I've always had a prejudice against Namco STGs (most of their games, really - never had that much fun with Dragon Spirit / Dangerous Seed / Ordyne on consoles) so I suppose it's high time to take another look. How long exactly did it take to put together this run?
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:tiger-heli 2-ALL nO-miss
Good shit - packed a two-all into 25 minutes. Congrats!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

jehu wrote: Nice! And you're right on the presentation here - great even now, and especially for its time. Enjoyed looking through this a lot - great execution on your part. I've always had a prejudice against Namco STGs (most of their games, really - never had that much fun with Dragon Spirit / Dangerous Seed / Ordyne on consoles) so I suppose it's high time to take another look. How long exactly did it take to put together this run?
I think a little over a week ago is when I first started playing, just kind of on a whim. I wanted to play a more old-school shooter since I had been playing newer and bullet hell games pretty exclusively as of late, and I kind picked this on a whim based off of fond memories of the genny port.

The clear came quickly because I set up save-states for every stage, every boss, and a few problem areas (like the rolling/exploding spike balls in stage 5), and just practiced them until I could get through the area unscathed. The game is so memorization heavy that a good route will get you through with little issue.

Of those namco shooters you've listed, probably the one I would most play after this is Dragon Saber! Spirit is a little too dry and hard for my taste, and Ordyne is just all right. Saber also had an excellent, if compromised, pc engine port.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

jehu wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:tiger-heli 2-ALL nO-miss
Good shit - packed a two-all into 25 minutes. Congrats!
taHnk ^^

tbf thOugh, tiger-heli is a pretty short game cOmpared to toaplan's other stuff, and 25 minutes is gonna be the standard length of time to get a 2-ALL (especially since the game continues to scroll even when a bOss tank is on the screen)
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

My first ever 1CC on a shmup. Strikers 1945 on Monkey difficulty with the P-38 Lightning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLFUsDPnFIg
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

kamadoma715 wrote:My first ever 1CC on a shmup. Strikers 1945 on Monkey difficulty with the P-38 Lightning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLFUsDPnFIg
Congrats, now do it on child!
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

Thank you. I am thinking of jumping to Easy but I also think that is still too huge a jump.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

kamadoma715 wrote:Thank you. I am thinking of jumping to Easy but I also think that is still too huge a jump.
Honestly, I recommend going level by level. Even very easy is tough if you're just starting out. It's not a long game, and going through it on easier difficulties will let you learn the enemy layouts, which is key to surviving when things get more hectic.
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
kamadoma715 wrote:Thank you. I am thinking of jumping to Easy but I also think that is still too huge a jump.
Honestly, I recommend going level by level. Even very easy is tough if you're just starting out. It's not a long game, and going through it on easier difficulties will let you learn the enemy layouts, which is key to surviving when things get more hectic.
Indeed. I tried out a few Child runs, and I could only get as far as 1-6. This time though I am not doing any continues just so I could have a "cleaner" score tally and thus have an easier way of gauging my scoring.

I think even sticking with Monkey for now isn't bad. I could try to beat my previous score or try doing it with a different ship.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Psikyo games are beyond brutal. The way they mock you with the difficulty names is another level of sadistic.

Finally got my Huntdown Arcade 1cc of Heatseekers (Hard) with Anna Conda. Went really smoothly. Most of the runs, I felt like I wasn't making any progress. I even thought I was getting worse. But then I had one really great run where everything came together and I almost got that 1cc. I knew I was close. My very next run, I played super well up until the 4th stage and nabbed the clear with plenty of lives to spare.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I've been thinking about trying Psykio games again. I did sink a good amount of time into Tengai/Sengoku Blade since I like the aesthetics in that one quite a bit but the game is awkward in that horizontal shmups typically do not have lightning fast bullets. Tracking bullets in a vertical format is much easier. The short 10 minute length is enticing though.

Might give Strikers 1945 a serious go at some point. Probably through the japanese PlayStation version.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

I can't do Psikyo games. The whole randomized level thing makes practicing those games a little too daunting.
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

Presenting my second ever 1CC. Monkey difficulty still with a way lower score, but it was achieved with a different ship, so yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERATxNXi5o
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

Gradius II 1-ALL

ImageImage

Certainly not one of my hardest clears but I recently realized something special: I'm very close to my 50th shmup 1cc. This is #48.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Nice. Gradius II is pretty rad. That's the famicom version right?
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

To Far Away Times wrote:Nice. Gradius II is pretty rad. That's the famicom version right?
Arcade
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Finally 1CC’d Confidential Mission!
CIT

Post by CIT »

I just 1CC'd Andro Dunos (Neo Geo). As is the case with many games from Visco this is a highly underrated title, presumably because it lacks the audiovisual refinement of fellow Neo Geo shmups Last Resort, Pulstar, or Blazing Star. However, Andro Dunos is indeed a fun romp, with varied stage design, a pleasant difficulty curve, and an interesting mix of ideas from Gradius, Thunder Force, and Hellfire. Graphics are simple but colorful, and there are some pretty catchy tunes as well. Now I look forward to the sequel arriving later this year.

I award Andro Dunos 8/10 laser blasts. :)
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

Picked up shmups after a long hiatus. Just managed to 1cc ALLTYNEX Second on Normal with Type-A.
Pretty happy with it. Stage 3 Boss still gives me lots of trouble. I hope I'll soon be able to post about a 1cc on Hard.

m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Finally 1CC’d Confidential Mission!

I still have nightmares about those "cover the gas jets with goo" sections. I don't think I ever succeeded...
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Haven't been here in a good long while, but my updates would be:

Raging Blasters 1CC - EXPERT
Ketsui Deathtiny - 1-ALL
Action in New York - 1CC
Darius Gaiden - 1LC
Darius Burst ACEX 1CC - EXPERT O-R-V
GG Aleste - 1CC
GG Aleste - Special Mode 1CC
Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge - 1CC
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 1LC
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - 1LC