I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by To Far Away Times »

DOJ is crazy hard. Good job!
miwa

Post by miwa »

Thank you, guys!
My graphics departement is working hard on those Thumbnails, much appreciated, BIL 8)
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hello, everyone! It's been a while, since the last time! :)

As of a few hours ago today, I managed to get my 1st ever 2-ALL of Strikers 1945 II with the F5U Flying Pancake! :D I didn't think I'd get it before the end of this year, but I managed to! :)

I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Just 1ccd GG Aleste 2, terrific little game. Just tough enough to warrant some practice playthroughs to get the final boss patterns down but not so brutal that it was a grind. Great to be able to play this thanks to M2.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

PurpleTheGuy wrote:Hello, everyone! It's been a while, since the last time! :)

As of a few hours ago today, I managed to get my 1st ever 2-ALL of Strikers 1945 II with the F5U Flying Pancake! :D I didn't think I'd get it before the end of this year, but I managed to! :)
Nice! That game's no pushover.
ATTRACTS wrote:Just 1ccd GG Aleste 2, terrific little game. Just tough enough to warrant some practice playthroughs to get the final boss patterns down but not so brutal that it was a grind. Great to be able to play this thanks to M2.
Guh...preordered in October but my copy only just left Asia today. Probably going to be waiting a couple of weeks for it to clear customs with how things are going right now. Nice to hear it's not going to be murder to get through when it does arrive though. My only 8-bit Compile experience was Zanac, and I don't remember there being anything easy about that one.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
PurpleTheGuy wrote:Hello, everyone! It's been a while, since the last time! :)

Nice! That game's no pushover.
ATTRACTS wrote:Just 1ccd GG Aleste 2, terrific little game. Just tough enough to warrant some practice playthroughs to get the final boss patterns down but not so brutal that it was a grind. Great to be able to play this thanks to M2.
Guh...preordered in October but my copy only just left Asia today. Probably going to be waiting a couple of weeks for it to clear customs with how things are going right now. Nice to hear it's not going to be murder to get through when it does arrive though. My only 8-bit Compile experience was Zanac, and I don't remember there being anything easy about that one.
Yeah, 1cc is pretty doable for all 3 GG’s. They aren’t brutally hard, just really confined spaces so you just have to stay alert to the stuff swooping in from the sides/bottom. I’m blasting through Power Strike 2 and just need to clear the final boss. Really the biggest challenge on the collection is Aleste because much like Zanac, it’s pretty manic. Shit everywhere. Great games though.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Just got a real scrappy 1-All of Salamander, thanks to Hamster's Arcade Archives.

I'm nowhere near memorising the speed section at the end of the game so my plan was to no-miss past Zelos and then close my eyes and hope for the best. You can blunder past all the gates if you have all your lives. However, I suffered an embarrassing junk death halfway through stage 4. Recovered my weapons nicely - and the stage 4 boss was behaving very reasonably*. Did my best to mimic the patterns I've seen in many replays for the escape sequence and managed to scrape through losing only one more life. Never thought I beat this one at my age - P.S. - No trophy!

*About this guy, I've had no consistent results with safespots but a few times this week I've got by him without dying. As long as youre fully armed and you take out his barriers before he starts firing, I can get by okay by hanging out in the middle of the screen. Kill the middle core and let your missiles take out the other two and he should die by the time there are only four or five balls on screen. Equip laser for some helpful slowdown!
Death has been acting weird too, not actually shooting any balls at you.

EDIT: Wow, just fired up Life Force (JP) on mame. If you've learned even a rough route through Salamander then this really is a cakewalk, especially if you choose the red ship. Noticeable differences are you're forced to fight the x3 Big Cores, no hiding at the top of the screen and a big rank-up if you try to equip 4 shields. Theres enough extends for you to recover from most mistakes, maybe this was meant to be played at high loops. Theres a nice counterstop on Youtube.
Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Having my internet cable outside the house damaged since before xmas has meant I haven't been able to stream or do online gaming or much of anything... However it did give me an excuse to focus on shmups, in particular Blazing Star which I got back into in a big way. And, after busting my ass learning stage 6 and the final boss, I ended up getting a 1CC! And a nomiss at that! The score sucks, but whatever, it was the end of a long day where I was sick of the boss milking and just wanted to get a damn clear of it. It'll go on Youtube eventually, assuming my internet ever gets repaired.

Stage 6 is the major hurdle stage for a clear. The stages and bosses beforehand are tricky, but Stage 6 has a ton of obnoxious and outright memorize or die sections including:

• The pink enemies that fragment into scrap metal, encountered with the bouncy ball firing worms
• The fanblades you have to squeeze through quickly
• The tanks that drop down you have to quickly rush past
• The second after a screen transition where suddenly enemies come in to ram you from behind, if your ship can't fire backwards there's only a tiny space at the top left just under the top row of ships to hide
• All of the stage 6 boss, seriously, there's at least one spot early on where a giant orange ship will squish you if you don't move to the bottom left in time
• Knowing you can kill the S6 boss's second homing laser turret before it fires makes things massively easier, the first one only fires an actual lock on laser every few shots whereas every shot fired from the second turret above the ship's giant thruster is aimed at you

The final boss is tricky, but you can hide at the bottom right during BABY HAS A GUN phase to avoid everything, and the final phase is mostly about speedkilling the two protruding things ASAP before they start firing because they're next to impossible to dodge. The giant energy balls look scary but they form a gap at the bottom left to squeeze through.

I tried showing my mame autofire settings before entering my name but while doing that apparently it timed out without button inputs or I hit start by accident and it denied me name entry. ;w;

WELL FINE THEN `w`

I also discovered thanks to this site's character profiles that there's a third ship colour you can select by pressing button C an D at the same time, neat.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Having my internet cable outside the house damaged since before xmas has meant I haven't been able to stream or do online gaming or much of anything... However it did give me an excuse to focus on shmups, in particular Blazing Star which I got back into in a big way.
As much as it sucks (had to have the cabling yanked out of my flat recently), I've noticed the same distinct trend in my own gaming when the internet's down. :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It also helps that I got the itch to take up Blazing Star again when lockdown bubble friends were showing off a Neo-Geo Mini they picked up. It's a terrible way to experience a tiny smattering of the Neo-Geo library (Blazing Star on a bad controller with no rapid fire sucks ass, tons of good games absent), but I can't get enough of Blazing Star's design aesthetic (the visible destruction to the O'Neill cylinder space station in the background in stage 2 is gorgeous). Not to mention the charming Engrish.

Also, today I discovered someone was actually tasteless enough to make a mod of the game that removes the Engrish. As if anyone would want that. :lol:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:I'm nowhere near memorising the speed section at the end of the game so my plan was to no-miss past Zelos and then close my eyes and hope for the best.
This is how I play any of the Gradius-like games that have an escape sequence, hope I have enough lives stocked up and say a prayer, haha. 'grats of the clear.
To Far Away Times

I've been wanting to get back into Blazing Star. I 1CC'd it about a year ago with the Peplos ship but I've wanted to do another run with the Windia ship.

It's really neat how much the game changes from ship to ship. I also can't recall another game having an R-Type style ship selectable among other non shield based ships. Its pretty neat to have as an option. And the Windina definately makes the earlier stages easier and intoduces cool new strategies; but I really, really want the extra firepower and movement speed for the final boss.

Graphics, music, atmosphere, hilarious engrish... its all there and its top tier. Gameplay is solid but not spectacular but I think the presentation boosts the whole package a bit, along with the more meaningful ship selection.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

I know it's a pretty easy 1CC in the grand scheme of things, but I just did GG Aleste 1 on the dang Game Gear Micro! I'm pretty proud of this, since the d-pad isn't the best, the screen is super small, and it cramps my hands just playing on something so small, but what an excellent little game. Gonna try for GG2 and 3 tomorrow as well.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
BIL

Post by BIL »

Horeh shiet, it's been a good week for the Psikyo 2-ALLs (■`ω´■) Especially nicely done with the return revengeance 2-ALL!
MachineAres 1CC

Just also got the GG Aleste 2 1CC after a few tries. There's some tricky stuff that'll get you off-guard but not much that's too crazy. The last 2 bosses have a few patterns you need to memorize but it's definitely pretty obtainable with a little bit of practice.
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Got my first Battle Garegga Rev. 2016 Arcade 1CC, Golden Bat, 7.07M. Had many mistakes during run like broken medal chain and some rank control mistakes but also had insanely good and lucky Glow Squid fight.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good going, that first "Completed!" is a huge milestone. :smile:
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Power Strike 2 1cc’d today. Did GG Aleste 2 last week as well. Really loving this compilation. I had previously only owned Aleste, Robo and Super before.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EBDbkOy
MachineAres 1CC

Finally got a Normal 1CC in Star Soldier PSP after all these years. Still one of my favorite portable shmups, period. A little bit of a long haul as far as verts are concerned, but most of it feels good anyway.

ImageImage
pja

Post by pja »

Finally got 1CC in Radiant Silvergun, in fact I registered here just to post it 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21uXwZjWXQ
Tried on and off since 2018, really happy to have this completed, easily the hardest videogame thing I've done. Maybe Stage 3 route next...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Congrats, Silvergun is a beast! That Stone-like fight must have been tense with no lives.

Don't forget to drop by the High Score thread to add your clear. Or give us a visit at Restart Syndrome. :)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Got the Salamander no-miss.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

I have decided to start actually posting some thoughts about every game I 1cc from now on, so here goes.
I just got the 1 life clear of Fire Shark Genesis on normal mode, and it was a pretty good game overall. It certainly has some of the characteristics that I typically complain about in old shmups like a very serious case of Gradius syndrome and that most of my failed attempts came from being sniped by tanks the second that they scroll on the screen. However, I actually quite enjoyed the way the bouncing power ups forced you make decisions about when you felt like you could safely avoid them and when you might as well switch to red or green and find a way back to blue when you get a chance. Because of this, I actually used all 3 weapons at least a little and I was always tense when I was accidentally stuck on green for a while.

It was also quite enjoyable to use the generous amount of bombs the game gives you after building them up in the early game. They are worth a lot of points so you don't want to use them to early, but by the end I didn't care and just started spamming them the second I felt threatened (especially when I had the green weapon).
Stage 7 was interesting for being the only memorization heavy stage. Planes constantly fly in from the bottom but there are only a few parts where they fly up in the middle so it never gets too difficult to learn so gives the stage its own identity without being overly annoying. It honestly made me fear stage 8, 9, and 10 but thankfully the developers knew how to show restraint and mostly made it a one time gimmick.

It isn't really my kind of game, but I still enjoyed the short time I spent with it.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Do you guys consider a game a 1CC if you don't trigger the TLB? I guess so... Since you complete the run with one credit, even though it's not the "complete" run... hmmm... any thoughts?
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

SPM wrote:Do you guys consider a game a 1CC if you don't trigger the TLB? I guess so... Since you complete the run with one credit, even though it's not the "complete" run... hmmm... any thoughts?
People usually distinquish between 1cc and 1cc+TLB in games where a 1cc doesn't automatically trigger the TLB, but they are still both considered 1 credit clears in most games.
SPM

Post by SPM »

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:
SPM wrote:Do you guys consider a game a 1CC if you don't trigger the TLB? I guess so... Since you complete the run with one credit, even though it's not the "complete" run... hmmm... any thoughts?
People usually distinquish between 1cc and 1cc+TLB in games where a 1cc doesn't automatically trigger the TLB, but they are still both considered 1 credit clears in most games.
Yeah makes sense.

In games where the TLB is triggered automatically I think it's required to get the 1CC. You either beat it or won't see the credits.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
To Far Away Times

So I did a very lame 1CC of Contra Spirits by farming a half dozen lives in a lucrative spot for 5 minutes or so.

It's pretty stupid to tie lives to score and then either not have a time limit or have the enemies not repsawn.

It does seem to qualify as a 1CC as best as I can tell though. On defaults, no cheats, one credit. Just abuse of a really dumb scoring system.

I definitely want to upgrade my 1CC by not doing that though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Spirits is one of those console games that gets around being quasi arcade-tough by allocating tons of extends, bombs and time. Gimmick! (FC)'s another. Chop the extend rates and add a timer, and both could go straight into a cab. I don't mind this approach, really. The pressure is no less real for being self-imposed. Go for a Hard no-miss with Shin Contra-style S-Rank rules. :cool: (all set spawns and boss parts destroyed - I would also stipulate no bombs, but that makes st3's wall snipers impossible to kill with C+C, the only combo worth using :wink:)
To Far Away Times

BIL wrote:Spirits is one of those console games that gets around being quasi arcade-tough by allocating tons of extends, bombs and time. Gimmick! (FC)'s another. Chop the extend rates and add a timer, and both could go straight into a cab. I don't mind this approach, really. The pressure is no less real for being self-imposed. Go for a Hard no-miss with Shin Contra-style S-Rank rules. :cool: (all set spawns and boss parts destroyed - I would also stipulate no bombs, but that makes st3's wall snipers impossible to kill with C+C, the only combo worth using :wink:)
Gimmick! is hand's down the most impressive FC game I've ever played.

There are unique sprites that only appear once in secret areas (limted cartridge space, what's that?), slopes, and a seemingly real physics system based on momentum like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also great music and sprite work.

It feels a generation ahead of it's 8 bit contemporaries.

That game is perfection.
To Far Away Times

Well, I went back and upgraded my Contra Spirits 1CC to a 1CC without any farming.

I had an excellent stage 4 and 5 which made all the difference. Stage 6 I did pretty decent at the roulette and got the brain most of the time. I kept the flame thrower closely guarded as it makes a huge diffence on the final boss and the very last section. I ended up finishing the game with four lives in reserve.

So that's three Contra games down in about a week, and its time to take a break from 1CCing games and playing something a little more relaxing.