I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Blinge

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Blinge »

YO

G-Darius No-miss all down route

GUREATO THINGUUU
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Z-Warp - Hardcore 1CC

I have no idea if this is even an online leaderboard, though I assume it is with that bullshit score at the top position. It seems to be combined with all difficulties anyway.

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Just scrubbed my way to a 1cc in DDP Resurrection v1.5. Strong style seemed like it might be too easy so I went with Bomb style. They call it DDP: DFK, but it feels more like DDP:RNG. The bullet patterns are less patterns and more just a bunch of random stuff thrown at you from all angles especially on the last stage. And those rotating turrets on the last stage can go straight to Hell. Not sure who thought those would be a good idea. All in all though a fun game, but I can see why the other DDP's are held in higher regard. I think DDP and even Donpachi are still better.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Just scrubbed my way to a 1cc in DDP Resurrection v1.5. Strong style seemed like it might be too easy so I went with Bomb style. They call it DDP: DFK, but it feels more like DDP:RNG. The bullet patterns are less patterns and more just a bunch of random stuff thrown at you from all angles especially on the last stage. And those rotating turrets on the last stage can go straight to Hell. Not sure who thought those would be a good idea. All in all though a fun game, but I can see why the other DDP's are held in higher regard. I think DDP and even Donpachi are still better.
I really like DFK, probably because it is a bit messy and chaotic.
I scrubbed through my first clear of it last New Years Eve, then started the new year with a 2-all of Novice mode.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Still playing Dariusburst EX+. Managed to get about 230 Ranking No.1s against the Japanese players on the massive Chronicle Mode. Will play for a while longer. Probably stopping at the 1 year point.
Won't be going to Stunfest (sadly). France still doesn't accept purebloods.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Super R-Type SA-1 Hack (SNES) - 2-ALL - Hard & Pro - NoMiss

idk if this was dOne already or not (i haven't seen any 2-ALLs of this hack floating around), but anyway, this hack remOves all the slowdown from super r-type mAking it much harder than the original.
Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Mon May 23, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jesus, that sounds mean... on the other hand, I always thought Super's low-altitude HYUUGE BATTLESHIP stage (kinda like the later Pulstar's, now I think about it... and Delta's too! :shock:) woulda been rad without the geriatric slowdown. Formidable resolve as always from you, either way. Image
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Jonpachi wrote:Z-Warp - Hardcore 1CC

I have no idea if this is even an online leaderboard, though I assume it is with that bullshit score at the top position. It seems to be combined with all difficulties anyway.

Congrats on the clear. How is this game, anyway? I've not seen much, if any, discourse on this. Caught my eye when it released, but fell off my radar since, being busy with other games
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BIL wrote:Jesus, that sounds mean... on the other hand, I always thought Super's low-altitude HYUUGE BATTLESHIP stage (kinda like the later Pulstar's, now I think about it... and Delta's too! :shock:) woulda been rad without the geriatric slowdown. Formidable resolve as always from you, either way. Image
yEah, super r-type's battleship stAge is fukken rad. my favorite of the battleship levels in the series is the one frOm final 1 though. tHat level feels immense. delta's is pretty siCk though too.

also, glad yOu enjoyed the run, dude. the compliments are alwAys appreciated
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

Managed to 2-All clear Raiden IV a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihMlyBB5qFI
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

BEAMLORD wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Z-Warp - Hardcore 1CC

Congrats on the clear. How is this game, anyway? I've not seen much, if any, discourse on this. Caught my eye when it released, but fell off my radar since, being busy with other games
It's a fun little memorize-em-up. It's very short, maybe 15 minutes long. It's all about just memorizing a route, and then you could run it blindfolded. Worth the $5 or so it goes for.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I got a weird shit clear of Touhou 17 - Wily Beast and Weakest Creature tonight. Not the hardest game, but the UFO like system makes it hard to be consistent. I kept hitting a wall in stage 5, and then with my first trip to stage six I cleared the game. The last stage is surprisingly easy. Maybe the easiest final stage in a touhou, as far as I've seen. The final two patterns are freebies with all the animal spirits given to you. I think the trick to learning this game is learning how to abuse the animal spirit system and knowing that you don't need to stockpile resources for the end. I did better when I took less risks and just grabbed what I could get for the invincibility, even if it wasn't opitmal. This clear was done with Reimu Otter. All told, it took me about 20 attempts with expiramenting with various characters and shot combinations and just messing around with things, some attampts were more serious than others. Not my smoothest clear, but I'll take it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I honestly stopped playing the newer Touhou games once UFO came out. The UFO system was really distracting and I found myself either smacking into stuff trying to manage the UFOs I had, or ignoring them entirely and having few resources. Shame, cuz the shot types are quite fun. I just wanted to shoot and dodge stuff. :(

And yeah, UFO's system also can be heavily broken if you're good at grabbing them, there's a massive upper limit to how many resources you can get, but you also have to disregard them if you're playing for score since you generally want Blue UFOs for score. :/
To Far Away Times

I made a new year's resolution to get back into Touhou, so I've been trying to clear at least a few of the newer ones. The first three windows games are some of the first shmups that I really sunk my teeth into (Imperishable Night was my first 1CC). I do think the newer ones are not really up to par with the old ones. Zun put a lot of effort into the graphical presentation of Wily Beast and Weakest Creature, and there's many more backgrounds, and the artwork has taken a noticeable step forward, but I don't know, it feels like Zun already did everything he wanted to with these games and the games are just kind of going through the motions now.

But I can't help but feel the series started losing some of it's magic with Mountain of Faith. I really couldn't tell you any of the characters from the games past that point and I don't listen to any of the newer songs. Meanwhile, the first three windows games (Touhou 06, 07, and 08) are a little rougher around the edges, but damn do those songs slap so hard and the games are full of memorable moments and characters.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Cleared Drainus.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

*ahem* No big deal guys, but I just One Continue Cleared a little walk 'em up called Elemental Masters. Don't worry--I'll save some ladies for the rest of you 8)

Yeah, but for real what a fun little game. Good ol' Technosoft.
BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol: Ladies love LORD RAIDEN :cool: It's a shame his bro wanted to be H4RDCOR3 and set up one of the more tragic STG plots 3; Bangin credits BGM though! Bangin BGM in general from Toshiharu Yamanishi.

Easier shooting done right, is EM. Firepower and maneuverability are generous... but stage designs are aggressively thorny, and the enemy pincer attack is relentless. You could very easily create a harrowing intensity simply by instituting a hidden "Inferno" difficulty with Gun.Smoke-style 1HKOs and checkpoints. Taken entirely as-is, "dominate or else" is a fine ethos for easier STGs. A mild 1CC that'll chase you all over the screen every time regardless.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

BIL wrote::lol: Ladies love LORD RAIDEN :cool: It's a shame his bro wanted to be H4RDCOR3 and set up one of the more tragic STG plots 3; Bangin credits BGM though! Bangin BGM in general from Toshiharu Yamanishi.

Easier shooting done right, is EM. Firepower and maneuverability are generous... but stage designs are aggressively thorny, and the enemy pincer attack is relentless. You could very easily create a harrowing intensity simply by instituting a hidden "Inferno" difficulty with Gun.Smoke-style 1HKOs and checkpoints. Taken entirely as-is, "dominate or else" is a fine ethos for easier STGs. A mild 1CC that'll chase you all over the screen every time regardless.
Yeah, the difficulty was very comfy. I had to go through the game a few times just to figure it out and then just hold it together. Took me a few (very fun) hours. But yeah, I like how the game is very fast paced and thorny/busy. I know Compile shmups and other easier games rightfully get criticized for having lulls here and there and EM really seemed to circumvent that while still being very approachable.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Wes112 wrote:Managed to 2-All clear Raiden IV a few days ago.

Great job! I love this game. I failed countless times at a 1cc on my ps3, but had a lot of fun trying.

Someday, I will get back to it.

EDIT: Great channel btw.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Mon May 30, 2022 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Whoops, sorry wrong thread.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Sun May 29, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
To Far Away Times

blazinglazers69 wrote:
BIL wrote::lol: Ladies love LORD RAIDEN :cool: It's a shame his bro wanted to be H4RDCOR3 and set up one of the more tragic STG plots 3; Bangin credits BGM though! Bangin BGM in general from Toshiharu Yamanishi.

Yeah, the difficulty was very comfy. I had to go through the game a few times just to figure it out and then just hold it together. Took me a few (very fun) hours. But yeah, I like how the game is very fast paced and thorny/busy. I know Compile shmups and other easier games rightfully get criticized for having lulls here and there and EM really seemed to circumvent that while still being very approachable.
Oh yeah. Elemental Master is real good. You have to be really active in that game, so even though it isn't the hardest shmup out there, it feels good to play and beating it feels earned.

A couple of real bangers in the soundtrack too.
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

BurlyHeart wrote:
Wes112 wrote:Managed to 2-All clear Raiden IV a few days ago.

Great job! I love this game. I failed countless times at a 1cc on my ps3, but had a lot of fun trying.

Someday, I will get back to it.

EDIT: Great channel btw.
Thanks! Yes, you should definitely give it another shot some time. Very fun game despite the occasional frustrating moments :)
To Far Away Times

Got the 1CC on Touhou 18 - Unconnected Marketeers last night.

This game's a rouge-like with a shop system inbetween levels. Seems like everything is rouge-like these days. Anyway, this game in particular is really built around you using the cards. Whichever character you pick, you start off noticeably weaker than in other Touhou games. Patterns are also pretty hard. The game really wants you to use the cards to level the playing field.

By default, you start with one starting card (the miracle mallet), and any clear gets you a second starting card (doesn't have to be a 1CC). I had some reservations about starting with 1 or 2 cards since I wasn't sure if it would be a clear on default settings. But I ultimately went with using starting cards because it was hard to find replays online without people using them (unless it was specifically called out as a no card challenge, like a Lunatic No Bomb). Using starting cards seems to be the accepted way of playing. I looked at roughly 8 1CC replays on youtube just to confirm, and all but one had starting cards. Another point in favor of starting cards being okay is that you choose them on the character select screen, not in a separate options menu.

With that out of the way, I started with the wolf card that gives you more power and auto deathbomb that takes two bombs.

I had a pretty good run with the cards, first buying the idol that gives you an extra life plus a small life fragment every stage, then on stage three I bought a second extra life. On stage four I got the card that gives you a rechargeable R-Type like shield for a short time, and lastly I got the card that powers up your bombs. All told, I had maxed out my lives in stage four, and then the difficulty ramps up quite a bit and I started burning through those lives and bombs.

I did have one of my better days dodging stuff, so that was good, but I was also not taking too many chances on hard patterns and was just bombing them away. Anyway, it's a fun little game, but like all the newer Touhou's I'm not sure I like it was much as the old ones. As a shmup, it's a fine game and a decent touhou game. As a rouge-like, I don't think it's up to par with a game like Monolith.

I like the stage 3 music a lot. Anyway, those are my thoughts on it.
To Far Away Times

Got another 1CC, this time in Touhou 16 - Shining Star in Four Seasons.

I kinda cheesed it with Reimu - Autumn, and abused the seasonal releases and strong bombs. However, yesterday I had four seperate 1CC attempts crap out on the very last pattern, including one that was about a second from timing out. That shit is hard. The final boss' last attack takes away your seasonal power and is immune to bombs. The game kinda reminds me of Espgaluda with its difficulty balancing; its quite easy to get very far in the game but the end is briefly very difficult. Anyway, came back and got it on my first attempt today. So that's three touhou games cleared in about 2 weeks!
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Made a 1-all of Gradius (Hamster's PS4 version). Auto-fire enabled. I wish Hamster's arcade archives had an option to save a replay.
I felt more frustration than enjoyment toward Gradius (I hate duckers, I hate that the hitbox seemed to extend past the ship) but I kept playing because I didn't want it to beat me.
Now I never have to touch it again.
To Far Away Times

Ice Beam wrote:Made a 1-all of Gradius (Hamster's PS4 version). Auto-fire enabled. I wish Hamster's arcade archives had an option to save a replay.
I felt more frustration than enjoyment toward Gradius (I hate duckers, I hate that the hitbox seemed to extend past the ship) but I kept playing because I didn't want it to beat me.
Now I never have to touch it again.
I know that feeling. I've definitely finished some games just so that it didn't get the best of me. If you want to give another Gradius game a chance, I fould Gradius III SNES to be fun and easygoing. I even blind cleared a few levels. I never got frustrated with that game.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I recently cleared arcade Gradius on MAME and was surprised how difficult it was, having not completed it for over 20 years. I'm also surprised at its relatively low ranking on the JPN STG Wiki.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

To Far Away Times wrote: If you want to give another Gradius game a chance, I fould Gradius III SNES to be fun and easygoing. I even blind cleared a few levels. I never got frustrated with that game.
Oh yeah, I loved the SNES version. I also got the Gradius III/IV combo for the PS2 because of happy memories of the SNES Gradius III, and was stunned at how difficult it actually was.

Next up is Hamster's Salamander/Life Force release, which so far seems less frustrating than Gradius.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Promptly cleared Grand Cross: ReNovation without any deaths.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Giga Wing Generations!