I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zaphod

Re: I DID IT

Post by zaphod »

Battle Bakraid is relatively unique in Yagwa games in that it doesn't punish you for playing it wrong the way the others do. You can actually play it for a single life clear without worrying about rank management or unorthodox playing techniques. Just catch those medals, power up, and try not to die. You can just pick it up and play.

But if you want to score big points, then suddenly it becomes a very difficult game, using tactical suicides to extend multiplier chains to get large scores so you can die more for more chain extending... or so i'm told. It's even worse than garegga in that way. but you don't have to do that to clear the game on one credit.

But yeah, advanced course is harder.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Dave_K. wrote: IKD wut!? Yagawa looks at you with disrespect! :wink:
Arrgh! I meant Yagawa! Sometimes what my brain thinks and fingers type are completely different. :oops:

Thanks for the correction. :mrgreen:
Deca

Post by Deca »

zaphod wrote:Battle Bakraid is relatively unique in Yagwa games in that it doesn't punish you for playing it wrong the way the others do. You can actually play it for a single life clear without worrying about rank management or unorthodox playing techniques. Just catch those medals, power up, and try not to die. You can just pick it up and play.

But if you want to score big points, then suddenly it becomes a very difficult game, using tactical suicides to extend multiplier chains to get large scores so you can die more for more chain extending... or so i'm told. It's even worse than garegga in that way. but you don't have to do that to clear the game on one credit.

Yeah, I find Bakraid fairly enjoyable to play for survival, but any attempts I've made to figure out the scoring system have ended poorly...maybe it'll click at some point, but of all games I've played I have the hardest time understanding the intricacies of Bakraid. How much harder is the Advanced course just for a 1CC though? I'm not sure how much the difficulty picks up after the cloud stage.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

zaphod wrote:Battle Bakraid is relatively unique in Yagwa games in that it doesn't punish you for playing it wrong the way the others do. You can actually play it for a single life clear without worrying about rank management or unorthodox playing techniques. Just catch those medals, power up, and try not to die. You can just pick it up and play.

Advanced Course is FAR harder than can you imagine at the end. Plus... you are approaching the game wrong way, the game actually gets harder way way faster when you have a stack of lives/bombs in reserve. Final boss becomes impossible this way (Stage 8 boss that is). Just play it safe, only 1 life in reserve, don't collect powerups once you powered up and ignore the medals. Sounds rough but it will make the game easier in the long run. PLUS when you die with that one reserve life, rank noticeably drops. Took me months to realise this without any guides (lol)
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
CIT

Post by CIT »

Espgaluda is another Cave game with a similar difficulty level to DDP's first loop. Plus it has arguably Cave's best scoring mechanic. Very fun stuff.

Batsugun is also highly recommended. Moderate difficulty, but super fast pace and great visuals.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Kaiser wrote:Advanced Course is FAR harder than can you imagine at the end. Plus... you are approaching the game wrong way, the game actually gets harder way way faster when you have a stack of lives/bombs in reserve. Final boss becomes impossible this way (Stage 8 boss that is). Just play it safe, only 1 life in reserve, don't collect powerups once you powered up and ignore the medals. Sounds rough but it will make the game easier in the long run. PLUS when you die with that one reserve life, rank noticeably drops. Took me months to realise this without any guides (lol)
Then seems i was misinformed. I remember reading on here that you can't really manage rank in the game, and that it simply steadily goes up until you die. I really haven't played much advanced course at all, but i did manage to clear the normal, and i felt that all deaths were my own fault.

Perhaps the rules are different on advanced course?
dex

Post by dex »

BPzeBanshee wrote:I vote Raiden Fighters JET, mainly because I'm working on it now myself. :P

Think Garegga, but faster bullets and you can't do shit about rank, that said it's not as hard either.
You can do a bunch about rank. You can die in Phase One purposefully to lower rank. You can avoid picking up the X-MEDAL mode for a long time. Basically, score less, your rank will be lower.

That's just assuming you want an ALL3. ALL1 and ALL2 are even easier.

RFJ is really a shmup that shines when you try to score in it, it's not that great just for the 1cc. Because if you score well, then hoo boy, you are in for a world of hurt in the real battle.

Congrats, by the way.
Last edited by dex on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

But you don't get the TLB if you die on phase 1. Which means an instant loss of 9 million points + the fairy after normal final boss + points from the TLB.
dex

Post by dex »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:But you don't get the TLB if you die on phase 1. Which means an instant loss of 9 million points + the fairy after normal final boss + points from the TLB.
I know, but I'm just saying, if you don't care about the score, you can make the ALL3 (relatively) easy on yourself.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

deca had his shmup cherry popped

grats Image
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Annoyboy

Post by Annoyboy »

Congratulations Deca!
So, are we expected to turn our TV on its side?!
Game Collection | 1CCs
Deca

Post by Deca »

Twiddle wrote:deca had his shmup cherry popped

grats Image
Thanks, but does my 5th 1cc really count as popping my cherry? :P
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Deca wrote: Thanks, but does my 5th 1cc really count as popping my cherry? :P
If you haven't 1cc'd a giant laser cock, you're still a virgin.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

On topic: Image

This is the best 1cc ever.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Yeah it is, congrats man.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

RNGmaster wrote:
This is the best 1cc ever.
congratz, now I have to ACTUALLY TRY AGAIN
fuck
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Awesome job, man. :mrgreen:
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

I'm sure it'll take you about a week, Sapz. But yeah, this one was on my bucket list.

I think I'll keep going with it, too. Might try to make at least 2-5.
Deca

Post by Deca »

OK I'm sort of considering Progear as my next target, how does the difficulty actually compare? I think it'll either be that or a Psikyo game if I can find one that isn't quite as demoralizing as Strikers 1999 gets towards the end.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

This should be a ""I DID IT" Achievement General thread." Just saying, we could use one of those threads. 8)
Deca

Post by Deca »

I think that's a great idea honestly. The 2dx board over at bemanistyle has had a stickied Achievements thread and it's constantly active. I'd think most people want to share achievements they're proud of, but may be hesitant to make an entire thread dedicated to it.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Deca wrote:OK I'm sort of considering Progear as my next target, how does the difficulty actually compare? I think it'll either be that or a Psikyo game if I can find one that isn't quite as demoralizing as Strikers 1999 gets towards the end.
Progear is tougher than Dodonpachi by quite a stretch, but the scoring system is gloriously fun.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ratikal wrote:This should be a ""I DID IT" Achievement General thread." Just saying, we could use one of those threads. 8)
Well, there is the 1CC list thread.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

BulletMagnet wrote:
ratikal wrote:This should be a ""I DID IT" Achievement General thread." Just saying, we could use one of those threads. 8)
Well, there is the 1CC list thread.
Most people just edit their posts and link it to their signatures as a list. It's not as fun bragging about your achievement in the general chat.
Deca

Post by Deca »

Skykid wrote:Progear is tougher than Dodonpachi by quite a stretch, but the scoring system is gloriously fun.
Would you recommend going for the US or JP version? I've just been messing around a bit with the US version experimenting with the scoring system, I really hated this game until I figured out what was going on with scoring and now I feel really compelled to play it. It's getting me almost as bad as Ketsui with stupid deaths due to focusing on scoring, however. I have a way of cornering myself on boss patterns trying to set off a big diamond chain.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

JP is the original one

afaik it doesn't take much effort to 1cc it
the entire game basically revolves around "memorize the entire damn stages because enemies will spawn behind you and ram you without mercy"
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Progear is way too hard for me. Have no plans to try to 1cc it. I just can't read the patterns horizontally. I can deal with slower horis because I can actually see the bullets coming, but there's a lot of time where it's just me getting lucky because I have no idea what I'm doing. Still, if I grinded it, I could maybe get better, but I don't care much for the game due to the awful scoring. I do like the setting and style though.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

don't forget about the magical turrets that always seems to appear close to you before you get sniped
Zengeku3
Banned User

Post by Zengeku3 »

Progear. Never have a Stage 3 been so much trouble. Things pretty much pop out of nowhere and shoot you from some blind angle.
@Deca. If you feel up to Progear then by all means do so. I'd personally recommend EspRaDe instead if you haven't done that already though.

Never actually 1cc'd that. I think I could get to Stage 5 without any hazzle but then I suddenly stopped playing it. And its really a game you have to re-learn everytime you go back to it. Reasons being: that hitbox.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Zengeku3 wrote:@Deca. If you feel up to Progear then by all means do so. I'd personally recommend EspRaDe instead if you haven't done that already though.

Never actually 1cc'd that. I think I could get to Stage 5 without any hazzle but then I suddenly stopped playing it. And its really a game you have to re-learn everytime you go back to it. Reasons being: that hitbox.
if you feel like dealing with weird hitbox placement play Homura

...or Progear