I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dunpeal2064

Re: I DID IT

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I find early Psikyo games much easier to get far in than their later ones. I can usually manage a stage 6 run in gunbird, and I never really put much time into it.

Being a fan of Sonic Wings, I am totally used to the automatic power down. I kinda like not being at full power constantly, especially when they make you so strong at max power.

I wouldn't say they are nearly as good as their later stuff, but I still have a lot of fun with Gunbird. Nice, quick bullets, but not quite as many of em.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

finally beat darius gaiden

well that was easy(Z')
Deca

Post by Deca »

Yeah I know a lot of people whine about memorization but in a Psikyo game I don't really have a problem with it. Guess I just have to knuckle down and check out some replays while I'm at it.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I do less memo in Psikyo than anything else. The patterns are fairly sight-dodgable, and the levels change up enough that I don't really find myself following memo, at least not as much as Cave.

I looped a game finally! But its probably the easiest game to loop (Batsugun Special)
nZero

Post by nZero »

dunpeal2064 wrote:The patterns are fairly sight-dodgable
Second loop says:
"You cannot dodge what you cannot see!"
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I do less memo in Psikyo than anything else. The patterns are fairly sight-dodgable, and the levels change up enough that I don't really find myself following memo, at least not as much as Cave.
I think this is a pretty limiting strategy, to be honest. I'd be surprised if you made it past the 5th stage of one of their harder games without memorizing a safe spot or two.

It can feel like work once you start to really memorize patterns, but it's also satisfying to put effort into a game and see it pay off.
azinth

Post by azinth »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I do less memo in Psikyo than anything else. The patterns are fairly sight-dodgable, and the levels change up enough that I don't really find myself following memo, at least not as much as Cave.
Sightreading a Psikyo pattern isn't always impossible of course, but I don't see how one can be consistently good at a Psikyo game without utilizing memorization as much as possible. It's not just about being able to dodge a pattern once, it's about being able to dodge it every time you see it, without fail. I personally couldn't imagine myself being able to no-miss a Psikyo first loop consistently(a requirement if you want to get anywhere in the 2nd loop) without having a well-practiced route through pretty much everything.

Speaking of which, I just did this. :D
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

azinth wrote:
Sightreading a Psikyo pattern isn't always impossible of course, but I don't see how one can be consistently good at a Psikyo game without utilizing memorization as much as possible. It's not just about being able to dodge a pattern once, it's about being able to dodge it every time you see it, without fail. I personally couldn't imagine myself being able to no-miss a Psikyo first loop consistently(a requirement if you want to get anywhere in the 2nd loop) without having a well-practiced route through pretty much everything.

Speaking of which, I just did this. :D
Congrats man! 2nd place ain't too bad? Mind if I ask how many hours it took you?

Also, you should play Dragon Blaze next if you don't have any plans. :3
azinth

Post by azinth »

Hard to say. I played it on-and-off from 2009-2010, then took a break from the game until about three weeks ago. I saw the loop for the first time and was like 'hey, this isn't actually all that bad. I can do this.' Since then I've been practicing the game several hours a day, since I have the free time to do so. I think it was a mistake that Gunbird 2 was the first Psikyo game I ever looped. That game's loop is an absolute nightmare compared to S99's, which is much more manageable. Also, I abused the hell out of savestates to practice things I had trouble with. This most definitely sped up my learning process a lot.

I also suck ass at Dragon Blaze. :P If I do any more Psikyo-related things in the future it'll probably be trying to score better in S99 and GB2
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Holy shit. Nice work on the 2-ALL. Here, have a Guile's Theme!
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ha ha, I think I put that the wrong way.

I don't think I could no-miss a psikyo game without any memo. The harder games definitely require it to an extent.

I just don't agree that they are more memo heavy than Cave. I don't get why "memo heavy" is always brought up with psikyo.

I use some form of memo in everything I play, but to me that is just learning. If the lazers in stage 6 kill you, dodge em next time! Thats not memorization, thats just thinking.

When I think of memo, I think of patterns that leave me thinking "... Was that possible?"

I never feel that way in first loop psikyo
Deca

Post by Deca »

dunpeal2064 wrote:When I think of memo, I think of patterns that leave me thinking "... Was that possible?"
While I obviously know that it's all possible, I definitely get that feeling when I credit feed to the last stage or two of Strikers 1999 and Strkers 2 :S I dunno seeing some of the stuff near the end really kills my motivation. Seeing some replays will probably help with that however.

It seems to me like Psikyo endgame tends to involve bosses getting VERY CLOSE TO YOU very quickly and covering most of the screen in bullets as they do.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I've never been to the last stage of a psikyo game, so I'm probably wrong.

I think the reason I feel they are more fair is that they have good pacing, and usually 7 stages.

In a 5 stage Cave game, I feel overwhelmed as early as stage 3. In Raizing/Psikyo, I can usually make it to stage 5.

NTSC-J is right, my approach isn't too great. I just am not used to watching replays. I like trying to get as far as I can on my own, but that usually isn't too far.

I'm working on learning a shmup the proper way, with scoring tricks and safespots, so maybe I'll start giving you guys some competition. :wink:
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Bananamatic wrote:finally beat darius gaiden

well that was easy(Z')
Now beat it again without autofire!
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Deca

Post by Deca »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I'm working on learning a shmup the proper way, with scoring tricks and safespots, so maybe I'll start giving you guys some competition. :wink:
Wanna pick a game and be rivals or something, help keep me motivated? :p I say either Gunbird or Strikers.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Deca wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I'm working on learning a shmup the proper way, with scoring tricks and safespots, so maybe I'll start giving you guys some competition. :wink:
Wanna pick a game and be rivals or something, help keep me motivated? :p I say either Gunbird or Strikers.
I'm totally down for that, I could use some motivation myself. You are probably gonna stomp me though :lol:

I'd be down for anything I can play on the Saturn or DC. I'm waiting on Gunbird to come in the mail, but I have the 2nd one sitting here. Strikers, I need to get a TATE'able version of 2, and have yet to pick up the first. I'd be down for anything Raizing too.

Just let me know, I have money sitting in paypal if I need to pick up something new :)
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:finally beat darius gaiden

well that was easy(Z')
Now beat it again without autofire!
buy me a decent controller and sure
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

So does this mean you aren't interested in improving your Dragon Blaze score?
Deca

Post by Deca »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I'd be down for anything I can play on the Saturn or DC. I'm waiting on Gunbird to come in the mail, but I have the 2nd one sitting here. Strikers, I need to get a TATE'able version of 2, and have yet to pick up the first. I'd be down for anything Raizing too.

Just let me know, I have money sitting in paypal if I need to pick up something new :)
I'm actually looking to Psikyo as a bit of a break from Raizing. I've been drilling on Batrider and Garegga for years, currently hitting stage 6 or damn close to it on average in both. If you're close to there I could shift focus back and maybe you can push me over the edge :P

I don't own any Psikyo games yet, I was thinking about snagging Gunbird or Strikers though...They're not too expensive. Wonder if anyone around here is selling, I generally prefer to hit the marketplace rather than ebay.

I've put a moderate amount of work into Layer Section since I picked it up a month or two back. Have a copy of Kingdom Grand Prix as well that hasn't been played much.

I'll leave the ball in your court, I'm open to anything (preferably easier than APB or Garegga) to fill the gap clearing DDP has left in my life :lol:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

RNGmaster wrote:So does this mean you aren't interested in improving your Dragon Blaze score?
Serious competition should arrive tomorrow
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

My body is ready.
Deca

Post by Deca »

Just got the first loop of Kingdom Grand Prix 8)

Not quite as excited about that as DDP as it required almost no effort, but it's always nice to clear a game regardless haha. I feel like I could eventually get the 2-All.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

So, I shouldn't pick KGP then :lol: grats.

I'm down to play some Gunbird though
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

I think most people associate Psikyo with memorization because for some reason Gunbird 2 and the Strikers (and out of those, II and 1999 are the most played ones) series are the most popular of their games. Those games are a bit odd for Psikyo since they have a lot of fast fixed patters, whereas in Dragon Blaze, Gunbird 1, Strikers 1, Sengoku Ace and Blade 99% of the patterns are aimed.

While this may seem a trivial difference, fast static patterns mean you can't be as aggressive as you can be in a game with mostly aimed stuff, so the staple "get in close and kill big enemies fast before they can fire" strategy that works in DB, GB1, Strikers and the Sengoku games isn't that good for GB2, Strikers 2 and 1999.

In the older games + Dragon Blaze, you'll notice that the best characters are usually the ones with the best close ranged attacks (Yuang Nang and Valnus in GB1, Jane in Ace, Katana and Aine in Blade, Quaid in DB, etc).

The "automatic" power downs in older games were meant to encourage aggressive play too IMO, especially in GB1 since you don't power down if you use charge shots (just another reason why Valnus and Yuang are so good). You can easily get around them using charge shots as I said or just not shooting when you don't need to, plus you don't need to grab every power up as soon as it appears (plus GB and Ace give a lot of power ups).

More people should play Sengoku Blade and Dragon Blaze. If you play them killing the bigger enemies fast you'll see you won't have so much problem dodging stuff.
captpain

Post by captpain »

azinth wrote: Speaking of which, I just did this. :D
nice! any chance of encoding that and throwing it up on youtube? i'm one of the unfortunate who can't get shmupmame 3.0b to work consistently and i'm sure there are others in a similar situation who'd like to see it.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Deca wrote:Just got the first loop of Kingdom Grand Prix 8)

Not quite as excited about that as DDP as it required almost no effort, but it's always nice to clear a game regardless haha. I feel like I could eventually get the 2-All.
Good luck. You need to arrive first in the grand prix part. Then, you will play the stages you didn't choose in the first loop. When you die, you lose all your power-ups. Also, there are no extends.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Deca

Post by Deca »

Randorama wrote:
Deca wrote:Just got the first loop of Kingdom Grand Prix 8)

Good luck. You need to arrive first in the grand prix part. Then, you will play the stages you didn't choose in the first loop. When you die, you lose all your power-ups. Also, there are no extends.
I got the second loop on my clear, didn't know about no extends in the loop...that's the part that concerns me the most. Still, with some practice I feel like I could potentially no miss the first loop. It's just a matter of learning all the other stages I suppose.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Might as well join in. I beat Futari Black Label today on Original. Being that I bought it last week it makes me feel slightly better than a complete scrub. Since I'm not much into the scoring thing with shmups just yet I might take a stab at Maniac now.

Gus

Post by Gus »

Wait until you play God, man. It combines the best aspects of BL Original and Maniac scoring with reworked versions of Ultra's beautiful patterns.
Deca

Post by Deca »

Futari Maniac scoring may be my favorite Cave scoring system. So much fun, so many numbers.