I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by To Far Away Times »

pegboy wrote:Finally joined the DDP 2-ALL club after all these years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yxwGQtqH-Y
Watched it and even though I knew it was a 2-ALL going in I was still getting nervous at that end there. That final pattern is insane. What a kick-ass achievement.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Wow, congrats on the 2-ALL, what an impressive clear! That Hibachi fight was intense, loved your reaction when you beat it! :D

I enjoy playing shmups on my cabs but move more percisely using a controller as well.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congrats on getting the 2-ALL of both Donpachi and DDP, really damn good job!
kamadoma715

Post by kamadoma715 »

https://youtu.be/2ZSgQ97jd6E

My first 1CC of Raging Blasters on Hard Solo!
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

Blimey! :shock: That's bloody awesome.

Puts my 'got to level 4 on Psyvariar 2 (xbox) today' into perspective :lol:
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Strikers 1945: graduated to a "Child"-level 1cc. :| The ZeroDiv PC port's lack of even stage-select, along with the Psikyo stage-scramble (and my own mediocrity) have made my training especially plodding. I have to wonder whether it's time to just embrace ShmupMame + savestates. I'm capable of close observation and learning but it really drags to see the crucial bossfights only infrequently.
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

Rolling Gunner Overpowered, 1CC True All on 'casual' with the RX frame-
Spoiler
kuze

Post by kuze »

Really excited to finally have gotten my first 1CC in DFK 1.5!
Spoiler
Those damn rotating lasers in area 5 are infuriating! Great game though. I'm going to give Black Label a spin next on the 360 release.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Got the 1cc in GG Aleste 3. I guess no 2nd loop? Love this game!! I'll take a break from it for a bit, but I'd like to come back and try it with no slowdown.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

G Darius HD No miss 8)

https://youtu.be/L1iI-B8t5xI
Last edited by Blinge on Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
To Far Away Times

I remember you were working on this from G Darius HD thread. Good job! Planet Darius has been saved thanks to your efforts.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Gamer707b wrote:Got the 1cc in GG Aleste 3. I guess no 2nd loop? Love this game!! I'll take a break from it for a bit, but I'd like to come back and try it with no slowdown.
What weapon have you used?
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Angry Hina wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:Got the 1cc in GG Aleste 3. I guess no 2nd loop? Love this game!! I'll take a break from it for a bit, but I'd like to come back and try it with no slowdown.
What weapon have you used?
Started out using F, but ended up liking C more. Ended up doing my clear with C
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

To Far Away Times wrote:I remember you were working on this from G Darius HD thread. Good job! Planet Darius has been saved thanks to your efforts.
Long may it last...

In other saving-darius-news. My bud came around today for another session of us trying to co-op clear the top/easiest route in DariusBurst CS.

we did it!
it's his first shmup 1cc
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Gamer707b wrote:
Angry Hina wrote:What weapon have you used?
C is probably the best weapon in general for score. It's really effective. Ever since I got my Xbox 360 Hori stick working on my Switch I've been playing this like crazy and going for no slowdown 1ccs. Super fun collection.

F is a far cry from the napalm weapon in GG1 and GG2; it's ranged and cancels bullets in a wide area, but it doesn't have much range, isn't tremendously powerful... it's not horrendous, but it's not great. D is better for shielding purposes and is the easiest type to clear with (your main shot is more than sufficiently powerful to handle bosses in this).

R is useful and hits harder than in GG Aleste 2, but covers less area and doesn't help as much on bosses (who don't seem to take much damage from it, possibly due to smaller hitboxes). It also is slow in keeping up with you as you move left and right, so it's not as useful at sweeping enemies as you might expect (the beams aren't locked in place relative to your ship and they follow as you move).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:
C is probably the best weapon in general for score. It's really effective. Ever since I got my Xbox 360 Hori stick working on my Switch I've been playing this like crazy and going for no slowdown 1ccs. Super fun collection.

F is a far cry from the napalm weapon in GG1 and GG2; it's ranged and cancels bullets in a wide area, but it doesn't have much range, isn't tremendously powerful... it's not horrendous, but it's not great. D is better for shielding purposes and is the easiest type to clear with (your main shot is more than sufficiently powerful to handle bosses in this).

R is useful and hits harder than in GG Aleste 2, but covers less area and doesn't help as much on bosses (who don't seem to take much damage from it, possibly due to smaller hitboxes). It also is slow in keeping up with you as you move left and right, so it's not as useful at sweeping enemies as you might expect (the beams aren't locked in place relative to your ship and they follow as you move).
Thanks for the info on the weapons. What adapter did you use for switch? I have the Mayflash NS adapter, which seems to work very well.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BrianC wrote:I have the Mayflash NS adapter, which seems to work very well.
Same, mine just came in on Friday and I'm very impressed with how little input lag there seems to be. Like, 2-3 frames tops in the Aleste Collection, I'm shocked.

I was having a very bad time with the stock Joycons and Pro Controller, so I'm really glad I found an inexpensive option that works with the sticks I have rather than requires me to buy a Switch dedicated stick. The Joycons have awful analogs, the separate buttons are unusual for me for its "d-Pad", the pro controller can't be set to have a wider deadzone for analog use in twitchy games (hits diagonals easily) and the d-pad isn't precise enough (pressing left or right also accidentally hits diagonals easily).

I really envy the Xbox One controller. Its Dpad is clicky and perfect, it's hard to be satisfied with any other Dpad. Apparently it doesn't use microswitches either, it's just a special membrane that gives it its microswitch-like feel. It'd be almost as good as playing on a stick if it were placed higher up where its analog stick is.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Speaking of weapons, since I'm pretty in love with GG Aleste I might as well quickly go over them all:
Spoiler

GGA1

Your normal shot: starts off thin, but at higher levels splits into two separate bullets with a bit of spread and a LOT of damage. Each one seems to do the same or almost the same as one shot of previous shot levels? It's really handy to get your shot level maxed out ASAP which seems to naturally happen thanks to the bonus levels. NOTE: the bonus levels DISABLE COLLISION DAMAGE so you can get on top of the enemies as they spawn to hit them if you're having trouble remembering their flight patterns.

D (Defensive fire ring): It cancels bullets and it therefore very handy, particularly in Special Mode where everything fires revenge bullets. The shots it fires forward are occasionally decent too. It's nowhere near as good as high level N is for both bullet cancelling and damage, but think of it as a nice compromise for bullet cancelling if you find using N makes it too easy.

L (Laser): It's really strong, but this isn't the sort of game that requires its strength as many of the wider weapons work just fine in terms of damage. The shots fired backwards are helpful, but not essential. Pick it if you'd like a challenge or if you know you're right before a boss.

H (Homing): The best homing weapon in the series. This mows down everything on screen quickly and easily, and the only reason it's not the best weapon in the game, at least for Normal Mode, is because N exists. It's trickier to use in Special Mode where everything fires revenge bullets though.

N (Napalm): Not super impressive at low power, but when maxed out it's the best weapon in the game. It cancels bullets and does a lot of damage as it travels forward with good spread. It's incredibly powerful as a result and as one of the two bullet cancelling weapons it's the easiest weapon to clear Special Mode with, though D is decent too for cancelling bullets.

S (Spread): Fires a large shot forward that then splits into five smaller bullets. It has more spread than the L / Laser weapon does while still dealing a lot of damage... but its lack of coverage on the sides of your ship isn't worth the damage in this game. Not a bad weapon, but not good compared to how useful the other weapons are.

W (Wave): Pretty useful. It's not quite as useful as Homing is I think, but it's still damn good. It's actually more useful than Homing in certain situations, namely against the enemies that come from the bottom corners of the screen as the waves you shoot come out just low enough to hit them as they come beside you. It's a risky weapon in Special Mode where kills spawn revenge bullets though, so plan accordingly.

GGA2

Normal weapon: It doesn't seem to get much stronger when maxed out, honestly. The shield you get as well as extra bombs are the most important part of collecting P items.

The bomb: Startup does NOT provide invulnerability, however once it explodes you seem to have invulnerability until the explosion disappears. Extra bombs appear to be carried over if you die, so if you have 4 bombs it might be best to save them for a really tough boss and eat a death? If you die with 0 bombs remaining you get 1 bomb when you respawn though.

D (Delta Form): Decent because it's one of the two weapons that can bullet cancel... but it's perhaps the weakest weapon in terms of raw damage due to firing infrequently. The pods also have an unusually tight triangular flight path, making it perhaps the worst shield type weapon out of the three GG Aleste games. Not recommended, stick to one of the piercing weapons in the game.

H (Hammer Hawk): Homing missiles. The damage takes a startling jump at max power where the number of missiles you fire doubles from 4 to 8, but it still pales in terms of damage output compared to N and R because it lacks piercing. Note that unlike most homing weapons, these missiles do not lock on at full screen distance and can only track enemies that are actually near the missiles, so you'll still need to get in front of enemies to maximize your damage with them. Also, because of how enemies are designed in this, the two piercing weapons are generally much more effective. Not recommended.

N (Neo Napalm Gun): The best weapon in the game by a considerable margin. It cancels bullets, it fires in a wide spread when maxed out, it pierces through all enemies... it's incredibly useful and should be the weapon of choice unless you're deliberately challenging yourself.

R (Rising Masher): The spread is quite wide when it's maxed out, and many bosses have big enough hitboxes that getting in front of them allows you to deal a lot of damage with this. It's quite strong, though it does sometimes seem to have trouble reliably hitting popcorn enemies compared to GG1 and GG3's laser weapons. The lack of bullet cancelling is the only reason it's not as effective as the N weapon is. It's a fun weapon to use if you'd like to avoid bullet cancelling weaponry for the sake of a challenge.

GGA3

The normal weapon: Doesn't feel quite as strong as GGA1 at max power but is quite wide and fires a consistent stream. It doesn't drop in power too much if you die once or twice when at max power, but it loses width with any deaths after that.

A (All-Range): I used to be fond of it, but I've sort of grown to hate it. It tends to fail to hit anything as you're moving around, making it a nuisance to use. If it worked like Dodonpachi Type B where only one ball would aim to attack as you moved while the rest fired forward that might've been nice, or if as you move left and right it'd aim the balls at a 45 degree angle so you're always firing sort of forward...

It's a decent weapon for bosses and for stages because it cancels bullets, but it's very awkward to use effectively because ALL four balls it fires go in the direction opposite to where you're moving. Potentially useful if you're really skilled, but from what I've seen Chain Chaser or Turret Gun can clear stages better, and Defense Bits can block bullets MUCH better. Not recommended.

C (Chain Chaser): The scoring weapon of the game for the most part. It's really good at wiping the screen of enemies. I think T / Turret Gun also has serious potential for this but I haven't gotten too deep into scoring. The only downside to Chain Chaser is that it triggers lots of revenge bullets from enemies in Special Mode, so use with caution there. I also don't feel it adds a lot of damage against bosses compared to what your main gun already does.

D (Defense Bits): The survival weapon of the game. The pods cancel bullets, and deal effective damage as they spin around to any enemies that fly close. For bosses, your main weapon will get very acceptable kill times, so don't worry about trying to get close and ram bosses with the bits.

F (Firewall): Seems to be deliberately designed as a nerfed version of the N weapons from the previous games. The range is greatly reduced, as seems to be the damage. It cancels bullets in a wide spread area which is handy, and it's a bit better for direct offense than Defense Bits are, but generally speaking D is the survival weapon of the game, particularly for Special Mode.

R (Rising Laser): Quite strong, but the width is considerably reduced compared to GGA2's laser at max power. It's handy for getting the Perfect bonus on Stage 6, and is handy for killing the pods the final boss spawns in its first couple of phases. Its piercing effect is handy for some minibosses such as the purple diamond "snake"-like one, but because your ship isn't super fast and because the width isn't super wide, it's not all that effective for scoring compared to Chain Chaser or Turret Gun. Fun, decently effective gun. Use it if you want an alternative to Chain Chase or Turret Gun without resorting to a bullet cancelling weapon.

T (Turret Gun): Despite "turret" in the name, it actually just fires spreadshots straight forward. It's not bad really, and is a decent alternative to the Chain Chaser if you find the huge blue balls it fires are too distracting. Very effective spreadshot weapon for dealing with stages and is probably good for scoring. It doesn't cancel bullets though, which can be a survival concern, particularly for Special Mode where everything fires revenge shots.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:

You found D to be the easiest?! Its A for me. The impotant bullet cancelling (without slomo at least) imo is far more reliable with a than with D.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I found that bullet cancelling with A is trickier in GG Aleste 3 than it is in the original Aleste with maxed Weapon 1, particularly when moving side to side since you fire away from the direction you're moving. If you hug the bottom of the screen you can fire diagonally upwards with it... but that's about the extend of its advantages.

The Defense Bits not only maintain a constant, very effective 360 degree double orbit of bullet cancelling no matter what direction you move, it also has a useful property: it pierces. It's one of the three piercing weapons alongside R and F, which means no matter how many enemies or bullets it has to travel through it'll punch through them all just as effectively. A on the other hand loses damage whenever it has to shoot through dense bullet swarms. These aren't super common in GGA3, but it's still a consideration for survival purposes.

A is by no means a bad weapon though, so nobody's going to fault you if you prefer it for bullet cancelling.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BrianC wrote:I have the Mayflash NS adapter, which seems to work very well.
Same, mine just came in on Friday and I'm very impressed with how little input lag there seems to be. Like, 2-3 frames tops in the Aleste Collection, I'm shocked.

I was having a very bad time with the stock Joycons and Pro Controller, so I'm really glad I found an inexpensive option that works with the sticks I have rather than requires me to buy a Switch dedicated stick. The Joycons have awful analogs, the separate buttons are unusual for me for its "d-Pad", the pro controller can't be set to have a wider deadzone for analog use in twitchy games (hits diagonals easily) and the d-pad isn't precise enough (pressing left or right also accidentally hits diagonals easily).

I really envy the Xbox One controller. Its Dpad is clicky and perfect, it's hard to be satisfied with any other Dpad. Apparently it doesn't use microswitches either, it's just a special membrane that gives it its microswitch-like feel. It'd be almost as good as playing on a stick if it were placed higher up where its analog stick is.

I've had the adapter for a while and love it, but I don't really use it for "console" shmups. I use it for the Switch Cave Live Wire arcade games. I use a pad for the "console" shmups and a stick for the "arcade" shmups. Yea, I'm weird like that. Lol.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:

You know what? I didn't really choose on the C weapon because it was best for scoring. My method was less scientific. I simply liked the way it looked and I just stuck with it till the clear. F was good though for canceling bullets, but yea, it didn't have much range. Been in a Alleste mood lately and just got Super Alleste not too long ago. Looking forward to starting that.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I found that bullet cancelling with A is trickier in GG Aleste 3 than it is in the original Aleste with maxed Weapon 1, particularly when moving side to side since you fire away from the direction you're moving. If you hug the bottom of the screen you can fire diagonally upwards with it... but that's about the extend of its advantages.

The Defense Bits not only maintain a constant, very effective 360 degree double orbit of bullet cancelling no matter what direction you move, it also has a useful property: it pierces. It's one of the three piercing weapons alongside R and F, which means no matter how many enemies or bullets it has to travel through it'll punch through them all just as effectively. A on the other hand loses damage whenever it has to shoot through dense bullet swarms. These aren't super common in GGA3, but it's still a consideration for survival purposes.

A is by no means a bad weapon though, so nobody's going to fault you if you prefer it for bullet cancelling.
With D it felt the way for me that you cannot really tell if a bullet will be cancelled or it will fly though the crystals. A seems to be more reliable protecting at least if you dont move your ship. Everytime I took D by accident, I died some time after :D
bobhasashotgun

Post by bobhasashotgun »

I just cleared Gradius 3 snes. I played this one a lot a decade ago, but I think this is my first time beating it without continues.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Holy shit, I actually did it! I 1CC’d Ikaruga for the PS4 on the hardest difficulty!
To Far Away Times

xxx1993 wrote:Holy shit, I actually did it! I 1CC’d Ikaruga for the PS4 on the hardest difficulty!
Oops all suicide bullets mode. That's a sweet achievement.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

To Far Away Times wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Holy shit, I actually did it! I 1CC’d Ikaruga for the PS4 on the hardest difficulty!
Oops all suicide bullets mode. That's a sweet achievement.
It's too bad I don't know how to save replays on my PS4, but I can't believe I actually managed to pull it off after all these years!
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Got the G-Darius clear on the Steam port last night. Lightning Coronatus made sure I wasn't getting out of the run deathless, but otherwise I'm happy enough to have gotten through it with a 15 mil score at the end.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

xxx1993 wrote:It's too bad I don't know how to save replays on my PS4, but I can't believe I actually managed to pull it off after all these years!
Ikaruga's incredibly tough, especially on Hard mode. Well done.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It’s very tough! And this was a one in a million.