I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bcass

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by bcass »

UD2 wrote:Finally got nomiss perfect on loop 1 of V-V (arcade)! Still need to work on my nerves. Any suggestions on where to go next for someone who really liked this game?

Well done. I've been chipping away at Batsugun Special and am very close to the 1-ALL. V-V is on my list of Toaplan shmups to beat next. Does anyone have a suggested difficulty hierarchy of the Toaplan shmups?
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

UD2 wrote:Any suggestions on where to go next for someone who really liked this game?
Batsugun is a Toaplan game designed around the same time and has a similar feel to me. Cho Ren Sha 68k is heavily influenced by that era of Toaplan, and is a really top notch game. Both of these have a more straightforward power-up system (rather than the Gradius style one), and only one type of shot for the entire game (though Batsugun has 3 ships to choose from). I don't too much know the differences between Batsugun and Batsugun Special other than that Special has 4 loops, with a much easier first one, and a smaller hitbox.
bcass wrote:Does anyone have a suggested difficulty hierarchy of the Toaplan shmups?
I don't have this, but I think Vimana is probably one of the easier ones if you're using autofire (though not as easy as Batsugun Special).
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
NMS

Post by NMS »

bcass wrote:
UD2 wrote:Finally got nomiss perfect on loop 1 of V-V (arcade)! Still need to work on my nerves. Any suggestions on where to go next for someone who really liked this game?

Well done. I've been chipping away at Batsugun Special and am very close to the 1-ALL. V-V is on my list of Toaplan shmups to beat next. Does anyone have a suggested difficulty hierarchy of the Toaplan shmups?
The exact hierarchy will always be debatable so I'm going to break this down in tiers, they're supposed to be roughly equivalent within each tier.
Using this thread and that one (the second one is very wonky at times, the Same! Same! Same! rating for example is a joke) and my knowledge of the games as a reference (not cleared all of them yet but I'm working on it), I would say :

Very hard : Tatsujin Ou, Same! Same! Same! (1p)
(huge difficulty gap)
Hard : Tatsujin, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Dogyuun
Intermediate : Daisenpuu, V-V, Fixeight
Normal : Out Zone, Hishouzame, Batsugun, Hellfire, Zero Wing, Tiger Heli
Easy: Slap Fight, Batsugun Special (1-ALL), Vimana

Some may also argue that the easier games of each tier would actually belong in the tier right below and vice versa (especially for normal/intermediate), but I believe that no game is 2 tiers above/below its proper ranking.

I found Slap Fight to be much harder than Vimana but still below normal, it would actually be somewhere between Normal and Easy but I didn't want to make a tier for that. But that's also due to the fact that I didn't use autofire for that one, as it turns some bosses into a joke. Vimana is definitely an easy clear if you want to try it, especially with autofire. Without autofire it's still easy, but it requires a lot of mashing.

Regarding regional differences:
- Twin Cobra is much easier than Kyuukyoku Tiger and would probably be in normal, but I don't like playing it and prefer the original, so I can't have a firm opinion.
- Fire Shark is A LOT easier than Same3. There's also a so-called 2P version of Same3, which is much easier and close to Fire Shark (I don't know the exact differences compared to FS, I only ever played Same3 2P seriously). FS and Same3 2P would be in intermediate or normal.
- Twin Hawk is apparently harder than Daisenpuu, but that's because it has spongey enemies and it feels a bit unfair and unbalanced (never actually played TH and I don't plan to, but that's what I gathered)
- Truxton II is noticeably easier than Tatsujin Ou but it's still very hard because the original is really hard. It would probably be in its own tier between hard and very hard.
- I think Tiger heli US is harder than JP, but anyway the default settings on mame are messed up. My settings were completely different from what was said in this thread and several people had this issue. My "normal" rating is taking into account the japanese defaults described in the thread.

For other games, US/world version is usually slightly easier, but the difference is not extremely huge unless I'm forgetting something.
Out Zone also has a set on mame where the rank is completely broken, it makes the game harder.
UD2

Post by UD2 »

LordHypnos wrote:
UD2 wrote:Any suggestions on where to go next for someone who really liked this game?
Batsugun is a Toaplan game designed around the same time and has a similar feel to me.
bcass wrote:Does anyone have a suggested difficulty hierarchy of the Toaplan shmups?
I don't have this, but I think Vimana is probably one of the easier ones if you're using autofire (though not as easy as Batsugun Special).
Funny, despite Batsugun being developed around the same time and by a similar group of people, it really never clicked with me. Something about it just feels unpolished to me, whereas V-V feels much more methodically designed.

CRS68K rules, you can definitely feel the Toaplan influence in the bullet patterns and enemy formations.

Vimana is super boring IMO, probably among Toaplan's worst. Outzone, on the other hand, is definitely on the easier side but may be my favorite arcade game ever, really fun stage designs, rockin' music, and nice art. You can't go wrong.
NMS wrote:Out Zone also has a set on mame where the rank is completely broken, it makes the game harder.
I believe that set is the version that shipped on reconfigured Zero Wing boards. IIRC it effectively starts on loop 2 of the normal set, but someone else here might know more?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Thanks for the info NMS. I'll be taking all that into account when I select my next Toaplan challenge.
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

Ice Beam wrote:This month, I 1cc'd Akai Katana Origin, Climax, and Shin on the 360.

It took me a long time to wrap my head around how the play the thing. I would get through the first level in Shin with only 5mil points and wonder what I was doing wrong. Strategy posts here and youtube videos showed me the way, though. Strangely, one of the videos (for Climax) I had put in my playlist went private a couple of days later. Big thanks to Iconoclast for his AK videos, which were quite helpful.

I made over 800mil on a Shin playthough, though my 1cc was only 600mil. The discrepancy was mildly disappointing. Also, achievements don't unlock on Climax, for some reason. I used type 1 for that one, and didn't get the 'Learning type 1' and 'Marigold' achievements.

The d-pad on my Hori fighting commander controller stopped working while playing Shin, so I had to take the thing apart and clean the sensors with a q-tip and alcohol. I learned that the plastic on the controller would flake after continual use and clog up the sensors. It also cramped the hell out of my hands when I first used it, but I got used to it.

Playing this game was quite the adventure.

I'm thinking of trying the 360 version of Guwange next.
The 360 Afterglow pads have a really good d-pad for shmups and the Retro-Bit Saturn usb pad works on a 360 through a Brook adapter.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

sunnshine wrote: The 360 Afterglow pads have a really good d-pad for shmups and the Retro-Bit Saturn usb pad works on a 360 through a Brook adapter.
I didn't know that about the Afterglow pads. And they're cheap, too. Thanks for the recommendation.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

I feel like this board tends to lean more towards arcade than console shooters, but I still have an easier/funner time with console games for the moment. I really love Compile. Shmup Junkie did an awesome video on them and as far as I'm concerned Space Megaforce is the best SNES shmup. It's amazing what they did with that hardware.

Lately though I've been focusing on PC Engine. Just got the 1cc for Gate of Thunder.
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

blazinglazers69 wrote:I feel like this board tends to lean more towards arcade than console shooters, but I still have an easier/funner time with console games for the moment. I really love Compile. Shmup Junkie did an awesome video on them and as far as I'm concerned Space Megaforce is the best SNES shmup. It's amazing what they did with that hardware.

Lately though I've been focusing on PC Engine. Just got the 1cc for Gate of Thunder.
I have to say I find console shoot 'em ups a bit... friendlier? Same with fighting games too, like I'd rather play the Saturn port of Marvel Super Heroes than emulate the arcade ROM. I think it's a throwback to when a go on Nemesis or R-Type cost 10p (or 50p :shock: if you wanted to play Sega Rally or Daytona!) so you had to make that credit count for something. There was pressure, man, pressure :lol: I still get sweaty palms and a dry mouth when I start Sega Rally up in the Model 2 emulator :lol:
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

nOthin' fancy. just an abadox no-miss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEJMuV3cdk
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

<3 Abadox, it's like Side Arms and Salamander and X-Multiply doing a violent horror gangbang Image Also it does a pro horror gaming move by scrolling DOWN :shock: That shit is unnerving!
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BIL wrote:<3 Abadox, it's like Side Arms and Salamander and X-Multiply doing a violent horror gangbang Image Also it does a pro horror gaming move by scrolling DOWN :shock: That shit is unnerving!
tHat's a pretty accurate description =o

also yeah, i like tHat it scrolls down. makes for a nice change of pace ^^
Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

another easy baby sHit clear

darius twin nO-miss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB7MGB2fOfE
bcass

Post by bcass »

Switched from playing Batsugun Special on Saturn to MAME, and got the 1-all without too many issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohmkupsNoo

Was close to the no-miss, that I will probably try and get before moving on to the next Toaplan game.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

bcass wrote:Switched from playing Batsugun Special on Saturn to MAME, and got the 1-all without too many issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohmkupsNoo

Was close to the no-miss, that I will probably try and get before moving on to the next Toaplan game.
Congrats! I wonder if there's a difficulty difference or lag difference or something in the Saturn version
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
bcass

Post by bcass »

I was (idiotically) trying to play the game with a squashed display on the Saturn version, as that version doesn't stretch the screen nicely like MAME does in yoko. It makes the game significantly harder, but I almost completed it that way. On the plus side, the few weeks I played on the Saturn version was really good training and made the arcade version easier to complete. I had a few attempts at V-V afterwards, and at the moment it feels like a big step-up in difficulty.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

R-Type Final 2: I finally got the single-ship 1CC on normal mode with the standard R-9A Arrowhead, on the x.2 path. Could have been a no-miss even, if I hadn't inexplicably messed up in the middle part of stage 3. In exchange I aced both the stage 5 and stage 6.2 bosses until time out. I bombed twice, once in stage 4 at the spot with the bunch of turrets and the hanging pupae, the second time in stage 7.2 at the spot between the first pair of blue jets and the big green one.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the stronger ships now, and exploring the other two paths.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Cleared the first loop of the original R-Type via PS1 R-Types this evening. Been working on this one for about 2 weeks now. I really cleared by the skin of my teeth because I got clipped by a stray bullet in 6-2 leaving me with no choice but to time out the final boss. Very exciting experience and a deceptively difficult clear that I'm pretty proud of. I had a lot of trouble getting into R-Type in the early days of my shmup "career" but I think I've finally fallen in love with it.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

ACSeraph wrote:Cleared the first loop of the original R-Type via PS1 R-Types this evening. Been working on this one for about 2 weeks now. I really cleared by the skin of my teeth because I got clipped by a stray bullet in 6-2 leaving me with no choice but to time out the final boss. Very exciting experience and a deceptively difficult clear that I'm pretty proud of. I had a lot of trouble getting into R-Type in the early days of my shmup "career" but I think I've finally fallen in love with it.
Nice! I love the original R-Type. That seems like a very difficult clear. The route I came up with requires both bits in stage 6 and 7, without it it's an implicit game over.

Lot's of excellent games in the series too. R-Type Delta is a certified classic, R-Type II is very good, and R-Type Leo is criminally underrated.

R-Type III is pretty good too. It's hilariously difficult stage 4 lava maze is certainly full of character and personality - probably the hardest stage in the entire series - and it's near the mid point of a console exclusive game no less. The game plummets in difficulty after that, with the final two stages being much easier. It's certainly memorable, if not a bit uneven.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Thanks!

Interesting you bring up R-Type 3, it was actually one of the first games in the series I seriously tried to clear and the Lava stage is exactly what killed it for me. That stage is utter lunacy. I do actually want to go back to it eventually, but I'll probably get some of the other clears first. Leo looks really cool, is there an ACA release by chance?
BIL

Post by BIL »

No ACA for Leo yet, sadly. 3; That beautiful Kaitei Daisensou release needs some followup M92 goodies, goddammit. I hope they eventually blow up the system the way they have with Detana Twinbee's TMNT board (that game appearing right around Kaitei in late 2019, as their first non-NeoGeo 90s STGs).
bcass

Post by bcass »

Went back to Batsugun Special Ver. and got the 1-All No-Miss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K7fuCw9ZjY

Admittedly I saved all my bombs for the final boss. I wasn't going to take any risks as I want to move on to practising the next game, which will be vanilla Batsugun. Already had a few attempts and it fees like a major step-up in difficulty compared to Special Ver.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Hopping on the Batsugun Special 1cc train. Didn't really expect it to happen as I was kind of half paying attention playing before I had to hop on my laptop to do some work. Not going to bother with the second loop as I'm just going to give original a run since it seems the second loop is very close to original in the level of difficulty. First couple of tries the increased difficulty was definitely noticable, but not sure how much of that can be attributed to simply having to unlearn muscle memory that doesn't carry over from Special.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Finally got around to clearing G Darius for the first time (λ-U). I never could get into it much before due to the less than stellar home ports and buggy MAME support, but Cosmic Revelation has changed my outlook on the game completely. It's a lot easier than you might expect when you know what to do.
CIT

Post by CIT »

I just 1LC'd Curse on Mega Drive — a title that has all the hallmarks of a kusoge, but yet somehow I found oddly compelling (I think it's the cover art and the nice music).

I think I'm gonna tackle some of the other Mega Drive also-rans now (stuff like XDR, Arrow Flash, Whip Rush, etc)
BIL

Post by BIL »

I find Curse weirdly likeable too. Bizarrely erratic aesthetic, if nothing else - can't recall another aggressively gunmetal "space shooter" where you're mowing down hordes of rainbow-plumed Flickies. I think it's the choppy framerate that really marks it down. Feels more MSX2 than MD... I thought the final stage suddenly implementing checkpoints was a bit daft, too. It's still not particularly hard, just makes the devs look unconfident. What a killer sleeve art, though! My rule is, when the presentation is that good, the game can get away with being merely passable. This goes for OSTs too, of course. :mrgreen:

I couldn't believe how great Raiden Densetsu came out on MD, being published by the same guys (Micronet, IIRC?). Then I learned it was from Seibu themselves, explained a lot. :lol:

Whip Rush is actually really good imo, I'd put it well above Curse and XDR. Some inspired stage/weapon design, great tunes too (recently discovered the composer has quite the resume). Admittedly, its killer Yuji Kaida sleeve art helps, too. :wink:

XDR reminds me of Assault Suit Leynos, with its little sprites and garish colours. Feels like an escaped Mark III game. Nowhere as unique as Leynos, to be sure, just a middling Gradiuseque for the STG console without any Gradiuses. Which helps it out a bit. :cool:
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

On the one hand, XDR's lame art and tectonic pace makes my brain's visual processing centre read it like it's all paper cutouts on popsicle sticks pretending to fly around.

On the other hand, XDR stands for X-Dazedly Ray, which is important to think about.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

CIT wrote:I think I'm gonna tackle some of the other Mega Drive also-rans now (stuff like XDR, Arrow Flash, Whip Rush, etc)
I like Whip Rush a lot, tried to get into it not long ago. What killed it for me was that it's impossible to speed up the continue countdown if you want to restart instead of continuing. Maybe I should return to it, it's possible that I find waiting 10 seconds much more acceptable now after spending so much time with the Switch port of R-Type Final 2.

Arrow Flash I have fond memories of. Just be aware that the game gets ridiculously easy if you put the super weapon in auto-charge mode.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Another case of lava induced PTSD.

I remember getting go what was the mid point and I breathed a sigh of relief before uttering "fuuuuuuccckkkkk".
My lord, I have come for you.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:I find Curse weirdly likeable too. Bizarrely erratic aesthetic, if nothing else - can't recall another aggressively gunmetal "space shooter" where you're mowing down hordes of rainbow-plumed Flickies. I think it's the choppy framerate that really marks it down. Feels more MSX2 than MD... I thought the final stage suddenly implementing checkpoints was a bit daft, too. It's still not particularly hard, just makes the devs look unconfident. What a killer sleeve art, though! My rule is, when the presentation is that good, the game can get away with being merely passable. This goes for OSTs too, of course. :mrgreen:

I couldn't believe how great Raiden Densetsu came out on MD, being published by the same guys (Micronet, IIRC?). Then I learned it was from Seibu themselves, explained a lot. :lol:

Whip Rush is actually really good imo, I'd put it well above Curse and XDR. Some inspired stage/weapon design, great tunes too (recently discovered the composer has quite the resume). Admittedly, its killer Yuji Kaida sleeve art helps, too. :wink:

XDR reminds me of Assault Suit Leynos, with its little sprites and garish colours. Feels like an escaped Mark III game. Nowhere as unique as Leynos, to be sure, just a middling Gradiuseque for the STG console without any Gradiuses. Which helps it out a bit. :cool:
Yeah, man, Micronet... I don't think they made a single good game, ever. :lol:

I'm a sucker for anything 80s Japanese Cyberpunk though, so that knocks Curse up at least 2 points for me.

Curious about trying Whip Rush again now. Played it years ago and remember not being too impressed. Although it is Vic Tokai developed, so that usually speaks for quality.
Sengoku Strider wrote:On the other hand, XDR stands for X-Dazedly Ray, which is important to think about.
:lol: