I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dojo_b

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by dojo_b »

1CC of (Novice mode) Mushihimesama on PC, my modest first shmup clear! Some background in action-platforming---why I'm here on the Farm usually, skulking around all fraudulent-like---but this definitely burned new neural pathways, fluorescent pink in color. I'm gratified to notice some quickening in sight-reading bullet patterns as I poke around other games.

Suggestions at a comparable difficulty are welcome. I like classic and Cave-likes equally. There could be a Deathsmiles clear in my future if those punk-ass last bosses comply.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good going. :smile: Kamui (on Steam) is an excellent easier clear on Normal difficulty - lots of resources, but you have to use them well. Vertical STG heavily influenced by Soukyugurentai's lock-on attack, and Raizing in general, though the godlazor is all its own. If consoles are an option, Elemental Master (MD) is a model example of accessible intensity, too. Simple, fast-paced topdown shooting - leverages its two-way firepower for a high intensity level, and its on-foot action for intricate terrain design. Press A+Start at the title to access the Options, good to know if you want button config or the excellent uppermost difficulty, Mania.

For arcade clears, Batsugun Special's 1-ALL is a popular starting point (nicely done, Hypnos :wink:). Much friendlier than the Toaplan norm, introduces the monster firepower and tiny hitboxes that Tsuneki Ikeda would uphold at Cave. All three of these have killer soundtracks too. :cool:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

BIL wrote:For arcade clears, Batsugun Special's 1-ALL is a popular starting point (nicely done, Hypnos :wink:). Much friendlier than the Toaplan norm, introduces the monster firepower and tiny hitboxes that Tsuneki Ikeda would uphold at Cave. All three of these have killer soundtracks too. :cool:
As I haven't played any games for like 3-4 years, I appreciated the way that it starts out with patterns that can mostly be macro'd (which I would say I'm generally more comfortable with), and kind of eases you into the concept of micro-dodging really gradually.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It also helps that Batsugun Special has a considerably smaller hitbox than the normal game (as well as the shield), and its bomb is the special, more powerful double bomb you get in the normal version if two players bomb together, making it for a very approachable "console-like" shmup experience, a great one to derust with if you've not played shmups in a while.

I beat Darius Gaiden for the first time today! Got to see two endings, tried a few other routes, got brutalized by some very difficult bosses. There definitely is an "easy" route in this game once you find what it is...

First clear: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/992191566

Second clear trying another ending boss (first time on this boss and it shows): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/992195359
pja

Post by pja »

Beat Darius Twin today - I think it's one of the more reasonable console shmups I tried so far. Last stage is bullshit though
Spoiler
which is why I don't feel bad for cheesing it with a safe spot in top right :P
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

x-multiply japan version 2-ALL nO miss on hard (i dOn't think any of irem's arcade games are very different on harder settings, but w/e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKJ6FHm79U8
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:It also helps that Batsugun Special has a considerably smaller hitbox than the normal game (as well as the shield), and its bomb is the special, more powerful double bomb you get in the normal version if two players bomb together, making it for a very approachable "console-like" shmup experience, a great one to derust with if you've not played shmups in a while.

I beat Darius Gaiden for the first time today! Got to see two endings, tried a few other routes, got brutalized by some very difficult bosses. There definitely is an "easy" route in this game once you find what it is...

First clear: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/992191566

Second clear trying another ending boss (first time on this boss and it shows): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/992195359
nice jOb on darius gaiden, dude =D
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:x-multiply japan version 2-ALL nO miss on hard (i dOn't think any of irem's arcade games are very different on harder settings, but w/e)
Superb :shock:
the second boss on loop 2 can be very aggressive. sometimes he'll blast out like five fukken lasers tHat'll chase you all over the screen then ram right into you like a jackass.
I hate that creepy assclown. You can tell he's enjoying himself too! 3: UNLIKE this poor dude:

Image :shock:
anyway, yOu should play this game. the tentacle sHit is cool + fun 'cause you can smack and knock enemies around makin' 'em your bitCh. plus the art style is fukken siCk 9.5/10
Image STILL the state of the art in teabagging STG technology.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BIL wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:x-multiply japan version 2-ALL nO miss on hard (i dOn't think any of irem's arcade games are very different on harder settings, but w/e)
Superb :shock:
taHnk :>
the second boss on loop 2 can be very aggressive. sometimes he'll blast out like five fukken lasers tHat'll chase you all over the screen then ram right into you like a jackass.
I hate that creepy assclown. You can tell he's enjoying himself too! 3: UNLIKE this poor dude:

Image :shock:
yA the poor third boss is stuck in the wall and left practically defenseless with tHat safe spot. idk how irem overlooked tHat one lol
anyway, yOu should play this game. the tentacle sHit is cool + fun 'cause you can smack and knock enemies around makin' 'em your bitCh. plus the art style is fukken siCk 9.5/10
Image STILL the state of the art in teabagging STG technology.
hEl yea
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

pja wrote:Beat Darius Twin today - I think it's one of the more reasonable console shmups I tried so far. Last stage is bullshit though
Spoiler
Reasonable? I Think its one of the most bland and uninspired shooters Ive played so far. Much weaker than for instance Darius II on Mega Drive which also has some flaws.The music is aweful, the backdrounds are aweful, the enemy pattern are aweful, the bossfights and so on.

I guess the Taito guys thought, consoleplayers are a bit of another species. A far less evolved one. At least it is one of the few STGs which do work well in coop mode.
Have done last year three Darius Twin 1cc runs as well on all routs. The underwater world is by far the hardest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TT4kaP ... 672hHeVAhO
What rout did you choose?

Anyway: yesterday Ive managed to get my 1cc für Tatsujin/Truxton on Mega Drive :

https://youtu.be/zLvZPOMQ2A0

What a ride.... ^^
pja

Post by pja »

Angry Hina wrote:
pja wrote:Beat Darius Twin today - I think it's one of the more reasonable console shmups I tried so far. Last stage is bullshit though
Spoiler
Reasonable? I Think its one of the most bland and uninspired shooters Ive played so far.
By "reasonable" I mean "not that hard to beat" :D
Angry Hina wrote: Much weaker than for instance Darius II on Mega Drive which also has some flaws.The music is aweful, the backdrounds are aweful, the enemy pattern are aweful, the bossfights and so on.
I do agree that the patterns are a bit simplistic and occasionally repetitive, but music is great! Certainly made me want to keep going.
I'll certainly check out Darius II at some point, but I went for Twin since I do actually have a Super Famicom.
Angry Hina wrote: What rout did you choose?
I don't remember the exact route (I found that most choices don't actually matter anyway :P), but I didn't go underwater, but one of the levels with Dark Coronatus. I don't remember if the winning run went through the stage with the turtle or the whale, which is the only other significant route difference I spotted.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Ah, ok^^
Angry Hina wrote: What rout did you choose?
I don't remember the exact route (I found that most choices don't actually matter anyway :P), but I didn't go underwater, but one of the levels with Dark Coronatus. I don't remember if the winning run went through the stage with the turtle or the whale, which is the only other significant route difference I spotted.[/quote]

You are right, the stages are very close to each other except for the underwater one. And if you go the downwards route, you meet the Great Thing from Darius 1 with a remix of the original music theme.

The music in Darius II is really amazing, hopefully you can try it out someday. Its a bit harder but not too complicated when it comes to bulletpatterns and such. There are also much more divers levels (but not so much, when compared with later Darius titles)
bcass

Post by bcass »

Here's a bunch of my most recent 1CCs:

Vulcan Venture 1CC Type 4 (PS4 Arcade Archives)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vzxSMHVRx0

Darius 1CC No-Miss [A-C-F-J-O-U-Z] Great Thing-Z (PS4 Arcade Archives)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00DGkp_95DU

Darius 1CC No-Miss [A-B-D-H-M-R-X] Octopus-X (PS4 Arcade Archives)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JadlNLu07y0

Darius 1CC No-Miss [A-C-F-J-O-U-V] Strong Shell-V (PS4 Arcade Archives)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dccfFawdiPs

Thunder Cross JP ver. 1CC (Anniversary Collection Arcade Classics - PC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSg6EoIfN7s

And here's one just for fun ~

Nemesis GameBoy No-Miss 1CC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTQuHX-Djx0

I played and completed all these games back when they were first released in the arcades in the 80s (except GB Nemesis), which is why I've been playing them all again to see if I can still complete them. I'm currently working on Batsugun Special as I've never completed a Toaplan shmup. Currently reliably getting up to stage 4.
Jasonbartfast

Post by Jasonbartfast »

Got my first real 1CC this weekend! ZeroRanger, type B, I III V. Not a great score as I've been focusing on the clear over milking points, but I'm proud anyway :)

(Sorry for the crap image quality.)

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Super Spy Hunter/Battle Formula (no miss 1cc)

This was almost entirely due to BIL's help for the jumps in stage 6. For the first, go at full speed and then tap down to move ever so slightly slower (so you move down like a pixel) then take the rest at full speed. The lava jumps are Left, Left, Right, Left (stay left and take them at full speed, this skips a few unnecessary right hand jumps). Did the final boss on first try too... it did NOT go well though, barely made it through.

I didn't bother with loop 2. It's awful. It's full of revenge bullets that can't be sealed at close range so it's not even about shmupping so much as it is tanking with your lifebar. Congrats to BIL for getting a 2-loop clear, I don't like this game enough to go for it. At least not yet with other games to play.

Also got this:

Crisis Force - Hard mode 1cc (no miss)

Quite possibly my fave NES shmup. I had a serious screwup before the Stage 6 boss, and a few very lucky saves during Stage 7. When you're at full power you're very strong and can carry a huge number of bombs (you can carry over 9 bombs, the counter just shows 9). However, getting hit even once puts you in real danger since you're super weak at minimum shot power.

The second phase of the second boss was what I tried to hoard my bombs for. It fires laser spreads that are insanely hard to reliably dodge. It might be sorta possible without bombs using the shield ring, but why bother? Just dump bombs on it. Either the black hole bomb, or better yet repeatedly teleport bomb on it until you telefrag it.

Orange weapon's extra spread, the shield it gives, and the seeking lasers make orange weapons by far the most useful over blue. Blue doesn't even seem to deal that much more damage.
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

Shmup-adjacent here, but I finally cleared Blaster Master after picking it back up for some serious play. Call me Ahab, 'cause this was one of my white whales, perhaps even the biggest one from childhood. Got the 1CC, but not a 1LC, as I died once (in the Sophia, of all things). However, I believe it could be done rather easily.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Been playing shmups consistently for a little less than a year and have 1cc'ed the following in order:

1. Final Soldier - PCE
2. Stahlfeder - PS1
3. Thunder Force 3 - Genesis
4. Darius Twin - SNES

First one I attempted was TF3. Was actually playing it on my phone in the hospital while waiting for my son to be born. Couldn't understand how people were saying it was so easy as it was handing me my ass. Got down a solid practice routine and picked it back up 2 months ago and 1cc'ed it in like 4 days. Almost no missed it, but the last two bosses are serious PITA's. But by then I had so many extends I could just point blank their weaknesses and not worry about dying. No missed the whole game, lost six lives on just them. Tried TF4 and man is that a whole different beast.
Spoiler
There are a few times in the game where I did that especially with the bosses. I think most of the bosses have a way to where you really don't need to dodge anything. Literally the only time I really felt threatened in that game was with the hermit crabs. Those things are cheap af.
BIL

Post by BIL »

StudioMudprints wrote:Shmup-adjacent here, but I finally cleared Blaster Master after picking it back up for some serious play. Call me Ahab, 'cause this was one of my white whales, perhaps even the biggest one from childhood. Got the 1CC, but not a 1LC, as I died once (in the Sophia, of all things). However, I believe it could be done rather easily.
Haha, I know that feel - never quite settled the score back in my rental-only NES days. Congrats, it's quite a long haul for the 1CC - not an exceptionally hard game, but a very unforgiving one. Difficulty spikes hard near the end, too (dreadful spike pun intended :cool:).

Out of curiosity, have you played the Blaster Master Zero games? Zero 1 is merely ok imo, but Zero 2 is exactly the kind of beefed-up sequel I could imagine Sunsoft themselves creating, had they held together in the subsequent gen. Zero 3 is supposed to be out soon, I'm looking forward to it.
Last edited by BIL on Sun May 09, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Finally got the elusive "Survive 25" trophy in Nano Assault NEO-X
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

BIL wrote:
StudioMudprints wrote:Out of curiosity, have you played the Blaster Master Zero games? Zero 1 is merely ok imo, but Zero 2 is exactly the kind of beefed-up sequel I could imagine Sunsoft themselves creating, had they held together in the subsequent gen. Zero 3 is supposed to be out soon, I'm looking forward to it.
Oh yes, I have BM0 1 and 2, and looking forward to getting through those as well. I imagine having defeated the OG that those should be a lot more approachable, if at least more forgiving! Looking forward to getting 3 as well!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Dangun Feveron B-Roll ALL2. Decided to finally get this over with this weekend. I'll upload a video later. Edit: video

Scoring was kind of shit (1CC nerves for you) but I beat Seldia at least. I can potentially go up to 12.6-ish with my current routes, after that point it comes down to the bomb bonus which is theoretically another 800k. Most likely I'll only be able to manage three spare: I'll have to float the last bomb item into the stage 5 boss, 2-bomb it for the safe Jaimers setup and then no-bomb the final pattern for 600k. I could get away with 1-bombing it at some risk. I really don't want to learn the full no-bomb dismantle.
Last edited by Lethe on Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Wow, congratulations!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Thanks... I had a real slump with this game for a while since there's no individual part of it I find particularly hard, but getting a run that put it all together took some effort. I think it's because it's so tempo-heavy; the moment you start slipping off route you have to be very assertive about how you're going to try to recover or things tend to go south extremely fast. Anyway there's no way I'm satisfied with this PB yet, 13 million feels like a real thing that could happen! Sometime. Not now.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Superbly done. :smile: You describe the game's fury perfectly.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Congrats! Don't forget to post the score in the hiscore topic too!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Awesome job Lethe! I can only dream of getting a true ALL of Dangun Feveron; by stage 3 it just becomes too much to handle. Kudos to you for sticking through and getting the clear!

Recently I just pushed the ceiling for the lowest-scoring character in Sisters Royale to new highs - a year ago, getting over 3 billion as Lale was seen as a major feat. Then Mero, here, pushed the score to 3.4 billion. The other night I got a clear with 3.7b, and then again at 3.8. The big question is, will I break the 4 billion barrier?

Also happy to report that I 1cc'd the Cotton Reboot. Don't sleep on this one guys! It's surprisingly fun and racking up the multiplier bonuses to visually-crazy levels is both fun and addicting!

Jonpachi, you should add your score to my scoreboard thread! You'll be in good company. :wink:

To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Not much of an accomplishment but I 1CC'd Kingdom Grandprix.

I went from having only played a cursory credit or two a long time ago to playing for an hour and half and 1CCing it.

Protips:
Pick Miyamoto
Collect H powerups
Bomb on every boss after the second stage. Don't dodge anything even remotely dangerous.
Collect your freebie 1CC.

Probably the easiest Arcade shmup I've ever played.

Kindgom Grandprix is a cool game however. Very easy, but awesome. Lots more to do in this one and a lot of reasons to return to it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Finally beat Deathsmiles via the scrub route. I really enjoyed this game way more than I expected to.
Spoiler
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
UD2

Post by UD2 »

Finally got nomiss perfect on loop 1 of V-V (arcade)! Still need to work on my nerves. Any suggestions on where to go next for someone who really liked this game?

sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

I did Novice mode in Espgaluda II on 360 last weekend. I was playing for survival rather than score but I'm still chuffed I was able to beat it!
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

This month, I 1cc'd Akai Katana Origin, Climax, and Shin on the 360.

It took me a long time to wrap my head around how the play the thing. I would get through the first level in Shin with only 5mil points and wonder what I was doing wrong. Strategy posts here and youtube videos showed me the way, though. Strangely, one of the videos (for Climax) I had put in my playlist went private a couple of days later. Big thanks to Iconoclast for his AK videos, which were quite helpful.

I made over 800mil on a Shin playthough, though my 1cc was only 600mil. The discrepancy was mildly disappointing. Also, achievements don't unlock on Climax, for some reason. I used type 1 for that one, and didn't get the 'Learning type 1' and 'Marigold' achievements.

The d-pad on my Hori fighting commander controller stopped working while playing Shin, so I had to take the thing apart and clean the sensors with a q-tip and alcohol. I learned that the plastic on the controller would flake after continual use and clog up the sensors. It also cramped the hell out of my hands when I first used it, but I got used to it.

Playing this game was quite the adventure.

I'm thinking of trying the 360 version of Guwange next.