I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Licorice

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Licorice »

Soldier blade 1CC.

My first real pattern oriented clear.

Difficulty really ramps up in stage 5. I think on my very first credit I got to the stage 3 boss, second credit to mid stage 5, where I was stuck for ages.

Anyway did a whole lot of save state practice there and especially the stage 6 boss, then almost 1LC'd everything on my subsequent run, but melted down after I died and didn't pick up the power ups against the mirror laser boss. Limped to the last stage of the last boss, dying 9 times in the process.

After that I practiced those last 4 bosses what felt like a million times, and learned the speed kills from YT. I subsequently forgot how to stage 5 (those screen spanning platforms get me every time) and almost melted down there. Somehow beat the boss with 0 lives in tow but yeah after that it was just doing what I'd done a million times and came pretty easy.

Hardly ever used the shift speed feature except for speed kills (does it actually do anything? I think just one player I watched did that, but he also seemed the most dedicated), and for the mentioned stage 5 falling platform bit when I anticipated it correctly.

When I tried getting into shmups some time ago, I played some Batrider and Touhou, and concluded that I prefer slow moving pattern oriented games to games with speeding bullets aimed at your face, however I was also way out of my league with the former, and for some reason didn't stick with the latter. In any case, studying the genre more closely and experientially now, I see the split between the approaches happened really early. Comparing Slapfight with Soldier Blade mirrors the difference I saw in the more modern games above. However, in terms of these older games, I think if I had to choose, I'd choose the bullets aimed at my face, although both approaches are very very fun.

EDIT:

Some more thoughts. I have mixed feelings on stage 6 and the final stage. On the one hand they are too long. On the other hand, I guess the slower pace is good to get your nerves in order when doing a full run. The rehash boss in stage 6 (the second mid-boss), is a good example I guess this was meant to be a comic relief boss? These problems are exasperated when you learn how to speed kill, cause then the ratio of dead air with fancy choreography to gameplay tilts even further in the wrong direction.

Anyway, onto Biometal!
Last edited by Licorice on Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Got a Armed Police Batrider Advanced 1cc on PCB.
Played single character, Shorty C.

I get really frustrated on that medal spawning design...
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

i almost 1cc'd the Raw Thrills Jurassic Park game while I was on a cruise over the last five days; I've done each of the three missions individually and did all but one and a half stages in one go. I actually played it quite a bit on the last cruise I went on a year ago, and just a little bit when I went to a Dave and Buster's in Nashville earlier this year. third mission is a bitch, and i didnt have quite enough time and energy between vacationing to pull it out this time. but a very solid game, much much better and more fair than one would normally expect from a western light gun-ish game despite the fact that you can only take 3-4 hits and there's no health pickups (even though you see one in the attract...what's up with that I wonder). No hits in any of the stages seem absolutely necessary to take so it's just a matter of memo and accuracy. Game looks pretty damn good too, with a lot of great set pieces. I kind of want to seek out a local machine so I can finish it off...
BIL

Post by BIL »

mycophobia wrote:there's no health pickups (even though you see one in the attract...what's up with that I wonder).
Difficulty setting, maybe. Quite a few games I can think of offhand where HP restores are reserved for lower levels. Or maybe just good ol' cut content, haha.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i made it to the second loop and Golden Disaster in Dai-Fukkatsu novice mode! made it through with Type B-Strong. might be the first time i've ever made it to the second loop in a SHMUP, lol :mrgreen: not bad for only 2 weeks of practice!

next step is to aim for 1CC and make it to Hibachi. i'm starting to understand the scoring system a iot more too and it feels hella good to see my scores steadily increase the more i play.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

no miss hard clear of M.U.S.H.A./Musha Aleste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HInInB9i-o
was kinda bummed with it overall 'cause of a lot of sloppy design things, so i'm hopin' that Robo Aleste on the sega cd will be better and more polished.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Mills

Post by Mills »

1CC Truxton F2P mobile, on Very Hard difficulty, no miss, no bomb. Recorded the run up 2nd loop, final checkpoint before the 1st Stage boss. Ended the recording because I made a few errors going for 2nd loop clear.

Not happy with the audio playback after reviewing the replay so will try another attempt. If I fail on this, I'll just upload the run I have as it hard enough already after so many attempts.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Good job to Charlene to making a lot of progress on DFK. A 2ALL on Novice is no small accomplishment, especially in such a short amount of time. I agree with you - as you get better you can trigger your first extend, earlier and earlier... that's a great feeling.
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: was kinda bummed with it overall 'cause of a lot of sloppy design things, so i'm hopin' that Robo Aleste on the sega cd will be better and more polished.
First off, nice on the clear! I haven't played MUSHA in ages so rewatching here, there were lots of things I completely forgot about in the game. That love of spectacle certainly carried over when this team made Mahou Daisakusen.

As for gameplay, a few people on this forum swear by Dennin Aleste/Robo Aleste being the best of them... In my own personal experience (since I haven't given Dennin more than a few plays over the years), Seirei Senshi Spriggan is also a bit snappier and fun to play than MUSHA. Maybe the CD Compile games had a little more spark?

===

I wanted to share that I managed to get a no-miss of DariusBurst's EX mode. Even better was that I was testing OBS' recording, and managed to have video evidence of the clear as well! You can watch my 'clutch' play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhSs3VznbrQ

A pretty good score (my best with this ship, the Next). It's pretty fun to learn this game.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Also posted on General YouTube thread. Didn't want to post this 1CC no miss no bomb run until I downloaded a better screen recording app for a 2CC run. Used Google play for this run and the audio is pretty terrible.
https://youtu.be/UDcnHkcy1dM
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

EmperorIng wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: was kinda bummed with it overall 'cause of a lot of sloppy design things, so i'm hopin' that Robo Aleste on the sega cd will be better and more polished.
First off, nice on the clear! I haven't played MUSHA in ages so rewatching here, there were lots of things I completely forgot about in the game. That love of spectacle certainly carried over when this team made Mahou Daisakusen.

As for gameplay, a few people on this forum swear by Dennin Aleste/Robo Aleste being the best of them... In my own personal experience (since I haven't given Dennin more than a few plays over the years), Seirei Senshi Spriggan is also a bit snappier and fun to play than MUSHA. Maybe the CD Compile games had a little more spark?

===

I wanted to share that I managed to get a no-miss of DariusBurst's EX mode. Even better was that I was testing OBS' recording, and managed to have video evidence of the clear as well! You can watch my 'clutch' play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhSs3VznbrQ

A pretty good score (my best with this ship, the Next). It's pretty fun to learn this game.
taHnk, glad you enjoyed watchin' the MUSHA clear ^^
Sick DariusBurst run too =D
Gave a like and subbed

Also, taHnk for suggesting seirei senshi spriggan. heard of it, but i'm completely unfamiliar with it, so I'll have to give that one a try sometime soon.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Arino

Post by Arino »

mycophobia wrote:i almost 1cc'd the Raw Thrills Jurassic Park game while I was on a cruise over the last five days; I've done each of the three missions individually and did all but one and a half stages in one go. I actually played it quite a bit on the last cruise I went on a year ago, and just a little bit when I went to a Dave and Buster's in Nashville earlier this year. third mission is a bitch, and i didnt have quite enough time and energy between vacationing to pull it out this time. but a very solid game, much much better and more fair than one would normally expect from a western light gun-ish game despite the fact that you can only take 3-4 hits and there's no health pickups (even though you see one in the attract...what's up with that I wonder). No hits in any of the stages seem absolutely necessary to take so it's just a matter of memo and accuracy. Game looks pretty damn good too, with a lot of great set pieces. I kind of want to seek out a local machine so I can finish it off...
Isn't it one of those games where you are Game Over after the stage you've selected, even if you clear it perfectly? At least the cab I played was configured that way.
A lot of those newer arcade games are made like that, very shitty. Can't take those games seriously at all.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

Contra: Hard Corps 1cc

Only my third ever run'n'gun clear after Gunstar Heroes and Cuphead. Really enjoyed this game for the visuals and music ('splosions THE GAME). Interested to hear how it stacks up difficulty-wise with other Contra games if anyone has any thoughts?
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Arrange A Ura 2-All 17 Trillions.
link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9aenTsGVbA
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You're an unstoppable monster at DFK Arrange A.
PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:Interested to hear Contra Hard Corps stacks up difficulty-wise with other Contra games if anyone has any thoughts?
It's pretty tough from what I'm aware. Everything feels just a touch cramped on-screen. The Japanese version with health (where you can take a few hits before dying) is obviously a good deal easier though.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Metal Slug 3 no miss which I did last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLOu_ofxp8
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Arino wrote:
mycophobia wrote:i almost 1cc'd the Raw Thrills Jurassic Park game while I was on a cruise over the last five days; I've done each of the three missions individually and did all but one and a half stages in one go. I actually played it quite a bit on the last cruise I went on a year ago, and just a little bit when I went to a Dave and Buster's in Nashville earlier this year. third mission is a bitch, and i didnt have quite enough time and energy between vacationing to pull it out this time. but a very solid game, much much better and more fair than one would normally expect from a western light gun-ish game despite the fact that you can only take 3-4 hits and there's no health pickups (even though you see one in the attract...what's up with that I wonder). No hits in any of the stages seem absolutely necessary to take so it's just a matter of memo and accuracy. Game looks pretty damn good too, with a lot of great set pieces. I kind of want to seek out a local machine so I can finish it off...
Isn't it one of those games where you are Game Over after the stage you've selected, even if you clear it perfectly? At least the cab I played was configured that way.
A lot of those newer arcade games are made like that, very shitty. Can't take those games seriously at all.
It might be a setting on the machine, but all the Jurassic Parks I've played let you keep going as long as you're still alive
BIL

Post by BIL »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:Interested to hear Contra Hard Corps stacks up difficulty-wise with other Contra games if anyone has any thoughts?
It's got a harsher learning curve than most of them, due to some mean patterns (this holds exponentially more true for the 1HKO US version*). However, outside of a few standout boss duels (DR CRAB) it's largely rote, so it's less dangerous than Contra III's Hard difficulty in the long run (not the fairest comparison - CIII Hard is a second loop in all but name, complete with cheapshots only a Normal clearer could possibly see coming).

I always note that the JP Hard Corps, despite being easier to learn on account of its hitpoints, is otherwise 100% identical to US. So if you can no-miss one you can no-miss the other.

Anyway, congrats! For a fourth 1CC, have you considered Metal Slug? It's a relatively easy 1CC, but having just gotten my first clear recently, I recommend it unreservedly. Some of the purest entertainment I've had with an ostensibly hardcore arcade game. This entirely apart from the artwork, which remains utterly world-beating.

EDIT: Metal Slug 3 no miss, on the other hand, is...
third_strike wrote:Metal Slug 3 no miss which I did last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLOu_ofxp8
Hard as all hell. You rock, bud. Image

MISSION ALL OVER
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

BIL wrote:
Anyway, congrats! For a fourth 1CC, have you considered Metal Slug?
I've played a little Metal Slug over the years, but never really dedicated any time to learning it. I think now might be the time.

Just to clarify, this was the US version of Hard Corps. None of that health bar nonsense for me!
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Regdren C.

Post by Regdren C. »

I have this len'en 2 playthrough. Turn on captions for text commentary.

Get Spell Card Bonus!!

I was hoping for a No Miss run but I still pull off some things that I haven't really seen on Youtube. I hope you enjoy it.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

well, after nearly 10 years of playing akai katana, yesterday i finally fought and beat the TLB (shin/slash mode) 8) i'd never actively tried to no miss the game up until that point, but instead did it by accident. Unfortunately i didn't beat my personal record score but i'm still pretty happy!
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Biometal 1CC. I removed flicker using one of retroarch's snes9x cores.

Came into stage 5 (penultimate) with 7 lives, quickly gained an 8th and then lost 3 due to bad RNG against the midboss (well 1st life anyway, the other 2 might have been panic). Then melted down due to nerves and lost another 3 on my way to the stage boss, where I lost one more. With 1 life in tow I limped my way to the last boss, and beat him dying once. I didn't gain any lives in stage 6, I guess due to reaching the extend limit.

On the practice run just before (starting from stage 3) I got the clear with 3 lives remaining.

I love the battering shield mechanic. I love the level design, with stages 3, 4 and 5 being high points, and 2 being the only not so amazing one. It must be said that strategy and routing helps a lot, definitely the strictest I've experienced so far in terms of timing. Nevertheless the routing is broad e.g. target the yellow bombers as soon as they appear in stage 4, but the other ships and the ground enemies you can improvise, as long as you keep in mind when they become a real threat (e.g. the spawner at the beginning of the beam shooters in the last stretch of stage 4) and eliminate them before that.

The bosses had really high potential, but were ruined by RNG combined with obvious safe spots, especially the last boss, or just being trivial. I have a love hate relationship with the stage 3 midboss, and the stage 2 boss and stage 5 midboss (they're the same, except the 5 can cheap shot you after dying) I found annoying cause the optimal strategy is to hang back and shield batter them, and hope you don't get a tentacle to your face. The last boss would be fine if the tail pattern was in some way more predictable or he didn't have so much HP. If the stage 4 boss was slightly more aggressive with the missiles, it would have been a more entertaining version of the stage 3 midboss (track and ram, but make sure to have the shield close or dodge at certain points).

Can definitely see why it's held in high regard by so many knowledgeable members of this forum, even though for some reason I can't bring myself to love it. I more like respect it. I can also see how it brought some less skilled players I saw on YT to great rage. Perhaps I find the reliance on slowdown jarring (which I also tried removing via emulation, realizing quickly that the game is really really hard without it), and detrimental to the pace. I also don't quite like some of the gotchas! like that baby alien spinner that spawns from offscreen in stage 6.

EDIT: Also when I say reliance on slowdown, I mean also as a player, you learn to rely on it cause you can quite reliably induce it with your shield, especially in parts that are busy anyway. It's like a bullet time mechanic. The only other game I've played with a bullet time mechanic, from another genre no less, was F.E.A.R. There it's faux bullet time afaict, as the bullets are still hit scan. Can't really compare the two so I don't know why I mentioned it.

EDIT 2: What's everyone's thoughts on the Saturn (Dezaemon based?) sequel(s?)

Onto Same!x3 (MD).
Last edited by Licorice on Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Jonst wrote:well, after nearly 10 years of playing akai katana, yesterday i finally fought and beat the TLB (shin/slash mode) 8) i'd never actively tried to no miss the game up until that point, but instead did it by accident. Unfortunately i didn't beat my personal record score but i'm still pretty happy!
Good work
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Licorice wrote: EDIT 2: What's everyone's thoughts on the Saturn (Dezaemon based?) sequel(s?)
I've only dabbled with it, but imo I was disappointed because, unlike in the SFC BioMetal, BioMetal Gust on Dezaemon 2 doesn't allow you to shoot the shield at enemies - you can only spin the shield (holding the button moves them away from your ship to spin faster). It's decidedly less visceral. As you would expect, it's more a tech-demo for the engine than a full-fledged sequel.

Congrats on clearing the SFC game though. I find that to be a pretty pleasant experience though I haven't beaten the game myself.
SpryteMix

Post by SpryteMix »

First ever 1cc happened back in 2018, DDP DFK 1.5 on Steam, been hooked on scoring and survival ever since.

https://www.twitch.tv/sprytemix/clip/Be ... &sort=time
InFireX

Post by InFireX »

I got a 1cc this week in Ikaruga on Normal. It was done on the PC version.
https://youtu.be/NFaIc9WuLtE
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The Barfer Sickmess are horrendously RNG heavy Christmas kusoges. I'm not sure why I played them, but I did.

1st game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-AyIkbEyU

Second https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71sJXmHVat0
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:The Barfer Sickmess are horrendously RNG heavy Christmas kusoges. I'm not sure why I played them, but I did.

1st game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-AyIkbEyU

Second https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71sJXmHVat0
Thanks to your vid, I gave the 1st one a try & 1ccd it on arcade/boss mode (despite having performance issues on a few attempts where the game would stutter to a halt out of the blue & would only advance if I mashed the fire button). Turbo mode looks like an rng joke for 1cc tho.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Arcade Mode for the first game is RNG heavy but it's not too hard. The second game though is far more heavily RNG dependent in arcade mode to get through some sections smoothly, and the final boss has two literally undodgeable attacks (unless you use a full belly to cancel them but they're both attacks where the final boss moves offscreen, also stupid).

Most of the second game's unlockable modes are RNG jokes and are really awfully balanced to 1cc them solo. Hyper Boss Mode is dumb and impossible to 1cc unless you're psychotic or tool assisting it. The ship is simply too slow for some of these gigantic bosses. Turbo Mode might be somewhat doable but there's still some really dumb stuff in there.

Challenge Mode isn't realistic to 1cc unless you restart over and over and get lucky with getting optimal drops every single time at exactly the spots you need them. You'd basically be relying on RNG for speedkills when the bosses start showing up. If you don't speedkill bosses pretty much immediately, you get walled in and unceremoniously murdered by stuff because you have neither the damage output or the spread unless you're lucky enough with the drops to be able to keep a wide spread going. Stuff like Santa Claus's laser and Saint Nick's lightning can wreck bosses, but that's basically begging for RNG to give you the special attack items at exactly the right time repeatedly (since you can't save the special attack for when you need it and use it immediately).
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label 262 millions with A-S (Died at stage 1-5 boss)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJQLg9B0aL4&t=1009s
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hello, everyone! It's been quite a while since the last time! :)

As of a few hours ago today, I got my 1st ever 2-ALL of DoDonPachi DaiOuJou White Label (or DOJWL for short)! :D

I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome