I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
nesrulz

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by nesrulz »

DoDonPachi.

For the second time in a couple of days @ easy.

I should finally do 1CC @ normal... :/

mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

is there a significant difference between easy and normal? congrats in any case.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Klatrymadon wrote:Congrats, EmperorIng! I cleared Original last week too, and am slowly working on improving the run a bit (every attempt has involved 2-3 extremely easily avoidable deaths). By the way, if you're having trouble getting the replays to work in Steam, I found making sure not to pause the game/hit an inconveniently-assigned menu button at any point during my last 1CC did the trick. Every run before that seemed to desync at different points, and I figured it was for the same reasons others have reported and that I was simply out of luck, but going for an unbroken run might be worth a try...
Thanks for the tips! I don't usually pause in my full recorded runs anyway, but I am glad to know that the dreaded desync can be avoided. Now if I can figure out how to get that 50mill score...
Ythundyth

Post by Ythundyth »

Got a No Miss on 1.5 Hibachi in DaiFukkatsu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IaHFWuvGyQ

1.5 Hibachi is definitely harder than most of the other TLBs, I think I only spent more time on HIVAC since I had to come up with my own strategies for that one. The final attack is definitely the hardest out of all the TLBs to No Miss (or potentially No Bomb as well), simply because of how it works.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

mycophobia wrote:is there a significant difference between easy and normal? congrats in any case.
Thx.

Difference between easy and normal...

There are differences for me. :)
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

got a 2-ALL no miss of the japanese version of R-Type 2 on hardest (although the difficulty setting doesn't really matter all that much)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfh8cLmFW5Q
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Absolutely mammoth achievement - well done!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed, one hell of a run! Good intel on the max difficulty setting, too!

I'm woefully under-experienced with IREM's arcade STGs, but I've put some time on Saigo no Nindou lately, briefly trying out its highest setting. Other than a bit of stage 1 boss danmaku (easily shut down with the chain weapon, with crushing slowdown to boot), it seemed like a quasi-Euroshmup mode tbh. Big enemies get just enough of an HP boost to be annoying, not really worthwhile outside of maybe as a training aid.

The only arcade game I've found to have a really notable max difficulty is Elevator Action Returns, which deletes enemies' overly generous delay between spotting you and firing. Feels almost Rolling Thunder in spots. However I suspect my usual character Edie might be EZMODE with her smothering firebombs and blistering shot rate making it all too easy to dominate the screen. I only picked her cos her hair purdy! :oops: Slightly more IREM-related, there's Metal Slug 3 whose max difficulty seemed imperceptible until st4 boss SOL DAE ROKKER's already-harrowing Angry Golden Needles became a goddamn random Psikyo pattern, and I swiftly returned to defaults.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

tahnk you guys. i really appreciate the support. ^^

oh, also, saigo no nindou/ninja spirit is a fuckin' bitch. a close friend of mine was able to 1cc it three times.
I tried messing around with it some too, but got put off by the last two stages 'cause of how much random stuff can happen. stage six of that game is all kinds of fucked up with the samurai spawns x~x
I want to go back to it eventually for a no miss, but I hate those last two stages so much lol

That's pretty neato about Elevator Action Returns.
and ya, the metal slug games have pretty significant difficulty changes for sure. my friend who 1cc'd saigo no nindou plays slug x on max difficulty sometimes
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stage 6 of Saigo is my most loved/hated example of one-man sidecroller war ever, it's murderous and utterly capricious - getting easy RNG will cause survivor's guilt. :lol: Incredible rush when you use the game's AI quirks and weapons to overcome a nightmare scenario.

Stage 7-2's pit is a genuine tragedy though, true memoriser bullshit. I recommend excising it with extreme prejudice. :twisted: (apologies if that link doesn't work - at work with aggressive net nannying, won't let me bust out the ninja sidescrolling words :o)
Last edited by BIL on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BIL wrote:Stage 6 of Saigo is my most loved/hated example of one-man videogame war ever, it's ridiculously cruel not only at killing you but also letting you survive - will cause survivor's guilt. :lol: Stage 7-2's pit is a genuine tragedy though, I recommend excising it with extreme prejudice. :twisted: (apologies if that link doesn't work - at work with aggressive net nannying, won't let me bust out the ninja sidescrolling words :o)
god, that fuckin' ninja pit, man. just hell memorizing.
I remember making a route for it, but it's been a couple of years since i've played, so i lost it now and gonna have to learn it again whenever i pick it back up :[
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

My new Pb in Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Arrange A, breaking 10 Trilion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcoO_0K-apA
Ythundyth

Post by Ythundyth »

No Miss Zatsuza in DaiFukkatsu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXwCJH ... e=youtu.be

It's finally done...

So, Zatsuza... It's been a bit of a dream of mine to No Miss or even beat some CAVE bosses, and this is one of them. I'm pretty happy that I was able to No Miss this boss.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Cleared first loop of Last Resort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLl_unAEYe4
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ythundyth wrote:No Miss Zatsuza in DaiFukkatsu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXwCJH ... e=youtu.be

It's finally done...

So, Zatsuza... It's been a bit of a dream of mine to No Miss or even beat some CAVE bosses, and this is one of them. I'm pretty happy that I was able to No Miss this boss.
Congratulations! I have an ambition to face down Hibachi in Black Label, but that seems very distant to where I'm at right now. This was some really clutch play, especially since the stretched-out aspect ratio would have made my eyes go cross!

Since this was in MAME, was this more of a 'practice the boss' specifically type thing, or was it the cap off of an exceptionally-exhausting run? :mrgreen:
Buffi wrote:Cleared first loop of Last Resort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLl_unAEYe4
Nice job! I cleared the first loop for the last TRP-STGT, and the game provides some nice challenge. The second loop was a little harder than I thought so I never managed the 2ALL. Clearing loop 1 is an accomplishment to be proud of!
Ythundyth

Post by Ythundyth »

EmperorIng wrote: Congratulations! I have an ambition to face down Hibachi in Black Label, but that seems very distant to where I'm at right now. This was some really clutch play, especially since the stretched-out aspect ratio would have made my eyes go cross!

Since this was in MAME, was this more of a 'practice the boss' specifically type thing, or was it the cap off of an exceptionally-exhausting run? :mrgreen:
Thanks. It was more of a "practice the boss" specifically type thing. It still took a while to No Miss Zatsuza, and I would need some more consistent strategies to do it in a full run (apparently some have better strategies and have runs recorded, but they're not going to distribute it because of copyright concerns). Beating Zatsuza though, isn't really that hard with 5 extra lives. Getting there is the hardest part. Definitely very hard to no miss, however.

Regarding the aspect ratio, I get that a lot. I'm pretty used to it by now since that's how I've been playing the game, and personally I think it makes it easier to see the gaps between the bullets, especially in the most dense attacks.

And good luck with your ambition to fight Hibachi in Black Label. A while ago I didn't really think I would be No Missing Zatsuza and every other TLB in the game, and now I have. I think you'll get there with practice.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Regarding the aspect ratio, I get that a lot. I'm pretty used to it by now since that's how I've been playing the game, and personally I think it makes it easier to see the gaps between the bullets, especially in the most dense attacks.
I would recommend weaning yourself off of this for a few practical reasons:

a) If you ever are fortunate enough to play the actual arcade game (or any other vertical arcade shmups for that matter) you won't be used to playing the game at the proper aspect ratio. You'll find your ability to see the gaps will be just fine with practice, and you won't need to worry about potentially having to compensate for the unusual appearance of movement where you appear to move faster horizontally than vertically due to the screen stretching.

b) People who see the footage without being familiar with the game may not be aware Aspect Ratio stretching is being done, which isn't good for educating people about the games in general.

c) It looks objectively bad. Really honest-to-goodness bad. There was a poor guy who once did a review of Mushihimesama and was sadly clueless about why the game looked so bad when he stretched it to fill the screen because he wasn't familiar with arcade games that were designed for vertical orientation screens, and it reminds me of that. I feel bad for the guy for being unfamiliar with how the game was meant to look (maybe if the games had a warning when you stretch to non-aspect ratio resolutions that the game won't look as good?).

It's worth noting that there are plenty of games where when stretched to the 4:3 screen aspect that pixels were not truly uniformly square pixels, but stretching a vertical 3:4 aspect game to fill a widescreen monitor is way, way too distorted to look good. If you're determined to emulate DDP DFK BL at a stretched aspect ratio I'd still probably recommend re-scaling it back to the correct aspect ratio before uploading footage of it just for the sake of watchability.

The title of the video should also probably specify "Black Label". Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu is the name of the original release that had Hibachi as a boss, whereas Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label is a totally different game using the original's art assets and enemy layouts/patterns, but with massively altered mechanics. People familiar with the game will notice it's clearly the Black Label version due to the red mode gauge and the combined bomb/hyper meter, but people who haven't played the game before may not.
Ythundyth

Post by Ythundyth »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: I would recommend weaning yourself off of this for a few practical reasons:

a) If you ever are fortunate enough to play the actual arcade game (or any other vertical arcade shmups for that matter) you won't be used to playing the game at the proper aspect ratio. You'll find your ability to see the gaps will be just fine with practice, and you won't need to worry about potentially having to compensate for the unusual appearance of movement where you appear to move faster horizontally than vertically due to the screen stretching.

b) People who see the footage without being familiar with the game may not be aware Aspect Ratio stretching is being done, which isn't good for educating people about the games in general.

c) It looks objectively bad. Really honest-to-goodness bad. There was a poor guy who once did a review of Mushihimesama and was sadly clueless about why the game looked so bad when he stretched it to fill the screen because he wasn't familiar with arcade games that were designed for vertical orientation screens, and it reminds me of that. I feel bad for the guy for being unfamiliar with how the game was meant to look (maybe if the games had a warning when you stretch to non-aspect ratio resolutions that the game won't look as good?).

It's worth noting that there are plenty of games where when stretched to the 4:3 screen aspect that pixels were not truly uniformly square pixels, but stretching a vertical 3:4 aspect game to fill a widescreen monitor is way, way too distorted to look good. If you're determined to emulate DDP DFK BL at a stretched aspect ratio I'd still probably recommend re-scaling it back to the correct aspect ratio before uploading footage of it just for the sake of watchability.

The title of the video should also probably specify "Black Label". Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu is the name of the original release that had Hibachi as a boss, whereas Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label is a totally different game using the original's art assets and enemy layouts/patterns, but with massively altered mechanics. People familiar with the game will notice it's clearly the Black Label version due to the red mode gauge and the combined bomb/hyper meter, but people who haven't played the game before may not.
Regarding the title of the video, I didn't put Black Label since Zatsuza only appears in Black Label. I understand that people who haven't played the game may not know that.

For (a), I'm used to the normal aspect ratio, I play on that too. It's just that sometimes I play with this aspect ratio for fun and and I also always do it when I'm recording. Although I still think it's just a bit easier to see the gaps with the different aspect ratio, even if I have a lot of practice on both.

For (b), I guess that's kind of true. I was mostly disappointed by the low quality of most videos on youtube, which is also why I wanted to do something like this.

For (c), not sure how bad it looks, since I always thought it looked fine. If enough people complain I guess I'll change it.

I'll consider what you said. Thanks for the advice.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I was mostly disappointed by the low quality of most videos on youtube, which is also why I wanted to do something like this.
No-missing Zatsusa in savestate practice is definitely an admirable accomplishment, so congratulations to you for accomplishing that. I do worry though that the aspect ratio will be main thing DDP DFK BL players will immediately notice and comment on, thus distracting a bit from and potentially overshadowing your accomplishment somewhat. Play however you find makes it fun though, that's the important thing.
Ythundyth

Post by Ythundyth »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: No-missing Zatsusa in savestate practice is definitely an admirable accomplishment, so congratulations to you for accomplishing that. I do worry though that the aspect ratio will be main thing DDP DFK BL players will immediately notice and comment on, thus distracting a bit from and potentially overshadowing your accomplishment somewhat. Play however you find makes it fun though, that's the important thing.
Thanks. I thought it was fun, but I'll think about what you said.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I got my first blind 1CC on Blue Wish Resurrection Plus. Score is nothing, I know, but pleased to get through it.

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It's been a month, but I got another 1cc for my 'collection.' 8)

Finally managed to clear a Raizing game. And it's not even one of the popular ones, ho ho. But still, I might as well note my 1ALL in Mahou Daisakusen!

This achievement is tinged in melancholy though: not only was I too weak from successive deaths to kill the two final bosses in stage 5 (Bashinet and Goblin King), my score was significantly lower than my non-clear attempts earlier today! This puts a dent on the accomplishment. I am hoping that I can bounce back, now that I've made it to stage 6 four times over the course of on-and-off practice this afternoon/evening. I'll be back, with a dead pair of bosses next time. And who knows, maybe even surviving a little further into loop 2!

This game, sheesh. What a pain in the balls. The fact that every boss's attacks are randomly picked means your survival is entirely up to the random-number-generating gods. Maybe SkullHoward (st2 boss) decides he wants to be on the bottom half of the screen the whole time? Death. Maybe the junk wizard's turrets and skull hadoukens activate at the same time? Death. This is a game whose ethos is entirely "expect the worst," because you will most lose your run because of it.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Hey, good job pulling off what I failed to do even on an easier version, and good luck ripping the game a new one for all the suffering! Really painful when the score works incomprehensibly like that, but saving some resources for the second loop should see you through, right?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's my plan. I've been working on minimizing my resource use on stage 6 as much as possible. Ninja is a wild-card (LOL). But if I am powered-up to 4-way shot, I should be good enough to kill Bashinet and the Goblin King. By my tally I need maybe 1 bomb for Bashinet (for the two claw arms), 2 or 3 for the Goblin King once his eyes are destroyed. If I am still decently powered-up (big if), you don't even need bombs for the final Bashinet showdown on the next stage. Just park yourself just to the left of his center, hug the bottom of the screen, and none of his bombs or lasers will even hit you. With enough power, and maybe a bomb if you are nervous, he won't even get the chance to walk down and ice you.

I've ruefully appreciated the in-joke of Mahou Daisakusen as the Slot Machine or Gacha of shmups. Except instead of rolling to get jpg's of your waifu, you win life, or get death.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Stanshall wrote:I got my first blind 1CC on Blue Wish Resurrection Plus. Score is nothing, I know, but pleased to get through it.
Good job on the clear! The art aesthetic of the player ship and enemies is kinda ass using like low-poly prerendered 3D as sprites, but the gameplay and music are top notch. A feels like a great little mix of Dodonpachi-lite aesthetic with Mushi Futari scoring.
EmperorIng wrote:I've ruefully appreciated the in-joke of Mahou Daisakusen as the Slot Machine or Gacha of shmups. Except instead of rolling to get jpg's of your waifu, you win life, or get death.
Hah. Congrats on the win, it's a tough game. I didn't realize how much RNG is actually involved. Makes sense I guess for an early Raizing game to have some weirdness like that.

---

My last major victory was finally clearing SideLine, but as it has what appears to be at least one more loop, I have to clear that to see if the game has a TLB, infinitely loops, or whatnot (if I'd credit fed when I finally died I woulda been denied high score entry ;_;).
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Got the 1cc on Prehistoric Isle 2 today.
I initially thought it was pretty garbage, but after playing it a bit more, there's actually a pretty ok and enjoyable shmup somewhere in there.
Happy to move on to something else now though.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Not much to brag about, but for a low-skill player I am sort of proud that I got a 1CC of Devil Engine on Very Easy (har.)
I was surprised that it resulted in 15th place on the Steam leaderboards.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Hi all.

I just 1CC'd Sylphia on the default difficulty. On retroarch.

I recognize this isn't much of an achievement, but it is for me. It's my first 1CC of anything.

You see, I grew up gaming on a PC, not at the arcades or on consoles, where 1CCs aren't really a thing. There I built a disdain of adventure games, a confused relationship with RPGs, and a love for strategy both turn based and real time.

Later in life, when looking for good new games to play, I naturally came across reccommendations for the arcade (and console) action classics. When I gave them a try, I found myself making much less progress per unit of time then I was used to. The main impediment was, from my then perspective, my lack of superhuman reflexes. In order to make up for this deficiency, I simply used save states. After making it to the end in this way, only to be met with a loop or a difficulty unlock, I considered things done and dusted and the experience a short, shallow one. Sure the games might have been impressive aurally and visually, but this was all they were. The kind of cereberal engagement I loved from strategy and tactics games was simply not there. Being a bit of a snob and a bit of a nerd, I concluded these were games for the physically gifted but mentally lacking.

I found slightly greater reward with action adventure games and RPGs, but also a lot of disappointment. The activities I enjoyed doing in games (in the briefest and most general terms, making decisions) often took a back seat to lots of repetitive filler motions or, worse yet, passive experiences where no input was required from myself, the player, at all.

After thinking about it, perhaps triggered by becoming more informed about the historical and social relationships in game design, I realized that the action games I so arrogantly dismissed actually provided the some of the most meaningful decision making per unit of player input. *If* you took the tool assisted super human reflexes away (if you have them, then pretty much anything you do that moves you somewhat towards your goal is fine, cause no matter how hairy of a situation you wind up in, you can tool assisted super human reflex your way out).

Impressed with this realization I decided to try and enjoy these games. Having little experience, I am finding it difficult, but now I realize it's OK to spend 10 hours to no-miss your way through 20 minutes, because that's 10 hours of no filler. It's like 10 hours of some random RPG but condensed. No, 10 hours of your average RPG doesn't actually have that much meaningful decision making at all. It's more like 100 turns of something like Fire Emblem (a game series I really love by the way). From this perspective, I find immense enjoyment in this difficulty.

Specifically, on my road to 1CC Sylphia (it didn't even take me 10 hours, more like 8), I palpably and genuinely felt like I was unravelling a puzzle. The exact same learning and creative experience I feel when I play a good turn based game. "Oh so this kind of motion is good for this pattern" "I want to make sure to switch to the blue weapon before I get to the next boss, but stick with green on the way there" "Sweep left here, then stay still, that works.". It was great.

Next up another easy one, Battlemania 2.

Huge shout out to Perikles for compiling that 16-bit and arcade shooter difficulty list so a scrub like me can slowly catch up and one day maybe enjoy the genre greats, and to everyone here for their in depth discussion that helped me pick a concise and informed selection of games to start out with and look forward to.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm rather ashamed to say it took me this long to finally 1cc Deathsmiles as well as Deathsmiles Mega Black Label. Once you learn the layout of the last stage it's a lot easier since it has very fast enemy appearances where knowing what to expect helps and is the hardest level in a non-Canyon/Ice clear. You've also got tons of resources at your disposal, so using them aggressively is really handy.

I never realized how easy the Cake item was to get off Jitterbug. I think I kept hanging on to a Power Up waiting to bullet cancel with it, but if you use it right at the start of the fight you can kill him before he gets super nasty, and unlike DaiOuJou, this game's equivalent of a hyper does not appear to make enemies harder while it's in effect.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Forgot to post it earlier, but a few days ago, I managed a 1st loop clear of the NES version of Legendary Wings. Been about a decade since I had done it, and thankfully, it wasn't that difficult or time consuming. There's a spot in stage 4 that is quite difficult to get through without taking any hits. Even if you are at full power in "phoenix mode" you only take 3 hits before you're down a level, and your giant hitbox means you are an easy target in places with tight quarters and ground targets that are hard to hit accurately. The Gradius syndrome is real with this game. If you make it to the final side-scrolling area, though, you can power all the way up, and be ready to take on the final boss, which is a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLFTnky ... .be&t=3441