I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Starfighter

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Starfighter »

Over Horizon!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

GWG is very impressive, congrats!
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Thank you! :)
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Got the 1cc in Sorcerer Striker. Started out playing Mahou Daisakusen on the PS4, but man that game is frustratingly brutal. So I practiced there and fired up the old RetroPi to do my runs on Sorcerer Striker. It allows me to delude myself that I was not playing the game on essentially easy mode since technically I played it on default difficulty. I will still attempt the 1cc of Mahou, but will probably give up once my copy of the Capcom Fighting Collection comes in.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Today I finally did something I never thought I'd do: I finished an arcade game in an actual arcade. It's just Hishouzame, and it took me 4 separate tries, but I made it. Almost got the 2-ALL, as well. They only have manual fire and 30Hz auto on the Hishouzame cabinet, so I didn't use the auto much.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

yeeee
Man this took me a while. a lot of rage

I enjoy the counter-burst laser mechanic when it works, and only when it works.
it's the all or nothing nature of this little technique that really sours the whole game for me.

I would go from nearly getting the clear to failing the first counterburst on stage 1 and restarting 10 times in a row before turning the damn game off and getting in a genuinely shitty mood.
but I still refused to drop the mechanic or use a different ship...

I took week-long breaks because my usual psychological shielding hasn't been there :oops:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Congrats!

I love the three stage format of Dariusburst AC. I've missed it since selling my PS4.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Starfighter wrote:Over Horizon!
I just got it too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVhJmUlHcU

Review: In the words of a random youtube comment, Over Horizon is "like R-Type, but playable by humans." I'm inclined to agree. This is sort of a mini R-Type/Gradius style scroller where there's less emphasis on masterfully dodging fast or dense bullets, and more emphasis on light memorization and having a general game plan for the later stages.

What I love about Over Horizon is that it's one of those games that pushes its original platform, in this case the NES, to its absolute limits--like Space Megaforce on SNES or Sapphire on PC Engine. The sprite work in this game is AWESOME. There's a little slowdown here and there, but it's not terrible. Often times the screen is black during boss fights, and there's no player UI to show your lives, speed, and score unless you press pause. It seems like Hot-B (who also did the equally awesome Steel Empire) really did everything they could to squeeze out every bit of power that the NES had to offer. The result for this late '91 NES title is a game that sometimes looks more like an early 16-bit game.

Like Hot-B's other game, Steel Empire, you can shoot backwards and forwards at will by simply pressing A or B. Some other cool features are how much control this game gives you. By pressing select you can choose several speed types, from a Cave-esque focused speed for tight corridors, to a PC-Engine-esque zip-around-a-boss speed. But perhaps the coolest feature is your options. The game lets you customize TWO of your option arrangements around your ship with the ability to go back and forth between your two choices on the fly. Because your options can absorb smaller enemy bullets, I chose to keep them right against my ship for defense in a horizontal and vertical set-up. With my horizontal set-up, the bullets are constantly flying past my ship and making it flicker constantly, which I found to be an adorable and endearing display of the NES's limitations. You can also control your weapon type behavior and customize factors like homing ability vs power with a limit of 5 points to allocate to each.

Although Over Horizon does have a bit of Gradius-syndrome, it's really only an issue during the last two levels and during boss fights which are a ridiculously long slog to deal with you if you're at your base power. I had a really stupid death in this run at stage 3 and had no problem building myself back up. I'm bummed, because without that random mistake on a level I had no issues with prior to recording, I would have had a No Miss run.

Lastly, the level variety in this game is very, very nice. Stage 1 is sort of a basic "here's a million power-ups, figure out how things work" level with a very R-Type looking organic stage and boss. Stage 2 to be honest was by far the weakest stage where you have all these sort of egregious, Compile-at-their-worst pauses where you're just floating for 4-6 seconds doing absolutely nothing. It has these gates you have to open with your ship and....that's about it. Stage 3 however has these really cool ice-obstacles where you have to carefully shoot giant blocks of ice and weave between them--you definitely wanna lower your speed for this stage. You will, however have to jack it back up for the boss which is this cool robot in a giant ice cube that bounces all over the place in a nail-biting dance.

Stage 4 to the end is where things start to get spicy. Stage 4 feels like a classic Gradius stage where there's a little slowdown and a lot of stuff on screen forcing you to maintain sharp situational awareness and carefully maneuvering through tight corridors rather than panicking and impulsively rushing through. Losing a life and therefore your powerups at this point makes things much dicier.

Stage 5 is where the game really starts to shine. There are waterfalls everywhere the push you down, forcing you to crank your speed all the way up to get through them, but be careful since coming out of the water too hot at that speed can make you collide into walls or enemy fire. I thought between this stage and the ice, the game did a good job throwing in unique obstacles that made up for the lack of bullets.

Stage 6 is the final stage. Not a ton to say. It's a well-done, classic big-ass enemy battle ship you navigate through to a final R-Type looking organic section and final boss who's mostly a pushover with high ship speed and full-power. This stage is mostly about anticipating some "gotcha" moments where enemies zip on screen so that you do not die and lose your power on this generally heavier enemy area.

So that's it. Good, soulful game with cool mechanics, lots of customization, solid stage variety and comfortable difficulty. It averts Gradius-syndrome by having the difficulty low enough that losing power can be very difficult and inconvenient, but not insurmountable. I give it a solid 8/10.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Dodonpachi [Arcade] [JPN ver] Type-C Laser 1-ALL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm9S-NF2Q6E

Very proud of all the fluke dodges on stage 6 with only a single life left! Not sure whether to keep going-up the Cave-difficulty chain (in which case Progear, Guwange, Esprade, or DOJBL is next) or to go back and complete some alternate modes in some of the easier titles I've cleared (Futari Original v1.5 or DFKBL).
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
pja

Post by pja »

Finally got the clear on Gradius 1, NES, after a couple of days of attempts. I mostly had to space them out because my fingers hurt from mashing (and I didn't invest in an autofire controller :P)
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

Got what I think is my first ever 1CC (new to shmups), Strikers 1945 on MONKEY :lol: Gotta talk myself into doing it on CHILD now.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I finally got the 1CC in Nexzr (Special) on the PCE-CD. Brilliant game, but some of the checkpoints are a pain to recover from. It’s good that the game is so generous with extends, because after no-missing until then, I lost half of my lives at the penultimate checkpoint in stage 6 (you know which one I’m talking about), then the other half bar one at the final boss. My score was just below 2,5 million.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Chalk another up for MUSHA. Love that feudal japan meets Gundam vibe. It is pretty easy, and I suppose the bosses are not that exciting, but I can't complain when the presentation is so good, and it's a fun 30 minutes.

Comparable of course to Spriggan, including it's curious lack of enemy bullets over all. Having said that, not tried hard mode yet, maybe that's where they put the bullets.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Cleard Start Soldier Vanishing Earth on normal mode with the red ship. The first 1cc was worth around ~311 mil but I didnt captured it because I thought I would not beat the game just yet. The second time there was only ~296 mil :(

Bit its a fun and easy game anyway. you get countless extra live in this game so you can die really often which feels a bit low skilly on the player and on the viewer side i guess :D

will try to improve a bit and find out how the level jounts work
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

After a couple of weeks I took down Darius MD for the 1CC. Yeah, it's a tough game, but it's a fun tough, it never felt like struggle or grindy boredom. I really liked it, top echelon STG on the system for sure imo.

I immediately went right to Darius II MD next. That one only took me 3-4 days of going at it 3-5x per day. There are for sure some nightmare stages & bosses, and the power-down is utterly ruthless. But since it basically forces you to do a no-miss run, when I met my first death early on the final stage I had 9 ships and could just spam my way through for the 1CC.

It's maybe unfair to compare games made 30 years apart, but since Darius II was a full-blown corporate effort and Darius I was an indie labour of love, I think it's valid. And I'd certainly rank Darius I a notch or two up on Darius II on Mega Drive. But they're both certainly a good time, and Darius II would have been absolutely excellent value for money back in 1990. This series with its branching paths really does have the best answer to avoiding shooter fatigue and the typical lack of longevity critiques.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Darius 1 MD above 2 MD... I should probably check that out then. I kinda wrote it off as "well its just Dairus 1."

I liked Darius 2 MD quite a bit.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

To Far Away Times wrote:Darius 1 MD above 2 MD... I should probably check that out then. I kinda wrote it off as "well its just Dairus 1."

I liked Darius 2 MD quite a bit.
I did as well.

I recommend going back & forth a bit, comparing them side by side. The differences in quality will make themselves apparent. Dar I has been beefed up to 26 unique bosses. They're not as complex as Gaiden bosses, but I thought they were well done and only one or two seemed kinda cheesy (I'm not sure how it's possible to consistently beat the wonderfully named but vicious MyHome Daddy as intended without ever taking a random hit). It has multiple rates of autofire to choose from, and 6 button support so you can have different rates of fire available during play. It has several different modes/versions and a Darius Alpha style boss rush mode. The ROM size is clearly much larger which shows through in the audio quality - the soundtrack is practically a 1:1 recreation of the arcade, and audio samples are orders of magnitude clearer than Dar II. The sound of firing & enemies dying is really visceral I find.

Darius II is clearly well made for its era. But there are things in II that appear to run at lower frame rates. Certain elements seem a little less polished. The smaller ROM size means a bit less variation overall. I think enemy sprites are a bit smaller. The colour palette isn't quite as masterfully managed as it is in Dar I MD. Again, good game, it's that all of that stuff adds up to putting Dar I a notch above.

The first stage of Darius MD is way too difficult for an intro level, so you'll need to soldier through that. And they went for arcade faithfulness, which means a lot of flat backgrounds where some line scrolling would have been welcome. But on the whole I kept coming back to it again and again, I enjoyed it as much as any MD shooter I own.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I finally fucking did it. Touhou 15 - Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom 1CC.

This game has two infamous bosses in stage 5 and 6, and they live up to the hype. Clownpiss and Junk-O. They do not mess around.

Fuck this thing:

Fuck this thing in particular:

This game just utterly broke me. I felt like I couldn't play it for shit. Dying everywhere and dying early. Touhou's not normally like this. The level of precision and execution required felt out of reach. I stopped playing Touhou games for a while. I was really looking forward to this game and when it came out and I just couldn't do it. I went 7 years without playing Touhou because of this game and how frustrating it was.

There are so many "gotcha" moments where if you're in the wrong spot when a pattern starts, you're dead. Everything about this game is hard. Your hit box is bigger. The bullet patterns are much more dense. There's more RNG because Zun is an asshole. The last boss has speed rings with hitbox sized gaps you have to squeeze through.

Here's an example of the speed rings:

I found a practice mode patch, THPrac, which I cannot recommend enough. It patches the game on the fly with lots of bite sized chapters and it can really help you isolate the trouble spots. It's honestly even better than using mame and save states. One file works for all mainline Touhou games and some spinoffs. Just put the exe in the game's folder and launch the patch instead of the game file. Incredible, really.

I finally got back into the swing of things with some of the easier, newer Touhous which were quick clears, but I always knew Touhou 15 was going to be the really hard one I'd have to get back to. And I finally did it. So now I've accomplished my goal of 1CC'ing all the mainline Windows Touhou games. I'm very proud of this one.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Pulled out my old Futari disc and popped it in, intending to just play a couple credits of the different modes. Got a quick 1cc on Futari Arrange. The shield is very strong and there were large portions of levels where I could coast. It's not just the way the shield protects you. The added damage it gives by reflecting enemy bullets massively reduces the amount of time dangerous enemies spend onscreen. I found that the best strat was to blow my shields on (difficult) stages and then use bombs or (((honest dodging))) for the boss fights. Ended with 2 spare lives at the end, having nomissed most levels. Pretty easy mode, honestly, but extremely fun. Definitely recommended to new players. I'd consider Futari Arrange comparable to the other cave release "novice" modes. I didn't check to see if it had the usual Mania and Ultra modes though. If it did, then consider what I said only valid for "normal" difficulty.

Replaying Futari (I also popped a couple credits in 1.5) just reiterated in my mind what a fantastic game it is. Having played quite a bit of standard Mushi, I'm not sure if I'd say I like Futari more or not. The cancels in Futari can be excessive and I like how Mushi standard makes you work for cancels. But the music, visuals and gameplay are all still fantastic. I hope Live Wire get a chance to port this one.

I should track down other shmups with shield mechanics. I always have a good time with them.
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Cleared Espgaluda II, Nintendo Switch port. Fun game, will play it more.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Raiden II cleared aggresively. Almost 2 months of playing and so far this is the most demanding shmup I've ever played and the longest shmup I've put time into, check my twitch for the VODs.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Congrats, that one's a monster!
bcass

Post by bcass »

Progear no Arashi 1-ALL Bolt & Nail:

https://youtu.be/NcS2hD12_Dk

This didn't take me longer than Dodonpachi to clear but it definitely felt a bit more challenging. I lost a lot of runs to the final boss, not something that has happened much in any of the other Cave games I've cleared. Great game, but not a big fan of the scoring system, and not a fan of the absence of boss health bars either. One of the weaker Cave OSTs too, but awesome art direction, especially boss designs. Love the little boss portraits that appear after defeating a boss.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Finished R-Type Final 2 on R-Typer 3 difficulty without dying once.
First and last time, hope I don't have to do that again (until I pick the PS4 port)

Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

Got my first 1CC ever in Crimzon Clover Novice! So hyped. Thanks to this forum for providing the resources to figure it out. These games are so special.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

bcass wrote:Progear no Arashi 1-ALL Bolt & Nail:
Great job! It's such a different game in terms of how it feels, it can be pretty tricky.
beer gas canister wrote:Got my first 1CC ever in Crimzon Clover Novice! So hyped. Thanks to this forum for providing the resources to figure it out. These games are so special.
Congrats! That first one's always really satisfying.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Mushi Original. AT LAST!! Only 9m. Should have been 29m - lost two IDIOTIC lives on the lvl5 mid boss. Still....a 1CC. Haven't had one in ages. Steam port.

Last edited by davyK on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

1-all for Tiger Heli (M2 Toaplan Garage, PS4). Bullets firing the same instance a tank appears makes me mad.

So a chapter from my youth is finally closed, when my ADHD-addled self didn't know what 1ccs or 1-alls were. I'd flit from machine to machine, dumping tokens until I got bored, and then off to the next machine, ignoring the stink-eye the boomers at the pinball machines gave me as I ran around like a nut.

Decades (and medication) later, I can sit down at Tiger Heli and finally finish the thing.

As primitive as it is, I enjoyed it. The checkpoint system didn't bother me, because I don't lose power-ups like in Gradius or R-Type. Recovery was always possible, no matter what. That's how to make a checkpoint system that isn't self-immolatingly frustrating.
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol yeah, those tanks in Tiger-Heli will absolutely brutalize you if you don't know where they spawn. Good thing Toaplan figured out (invented?) bullet sealing for Slap Fight and later STGs. Getting insta-point-blanked by an enemy the moment it spawns is frustrating as hell.