I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
blazinglazers69

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Been having a great time shooting lately. In the past two weeks I cleared Gradius Galaxies for the GBA, Slap Fight MD Special Mode, and Thunder Force IV.

Gradius Galaxies was my 2nd foray into the Gradius series after the first game for the NES. I used to avoid Gradius like the plague because of it's "syndrome," but as I've learned to suck less to the point where it's not too overwhelming, the series is starting to grow on me. I'd say a game changer for me has been finally getting comfortable using an arcade stick. It's weird because I didn't really force myself too hard to make the switch...I genuinely feel like as I learned fundamental/efficient movement better, I was just able to put down my M30 controller and pick up my stick and it just felt way more intuitive one day. Suddenly tight squeezes in Gradius were super easy. I have an LS-32 and LS-56 lever and while the former seems a bit more popular online, I prefer the LS-56. It barely has a deadzone and every movement feels deliberate and good.

But yeah, Galaxies was easy for the first 2/3rds of the game or so, and then you get to some challenging parts near the end including an organic stage where these dangling arms have super inconsistent physics and will one shot you even with the force shield if you aren't careful squeezing by them. I found a dude on youtube ranking like 20+ Gradius games who said he considered stage 6 of Galaxies one of the most frustrating in the series, so despite the overall lower difficulty it was validating to see other people shared my struggle.

Thunder Force IV. Man. Not a ton to say. It seems pretty much perfect to me. Obviously personal preference varies and it's not above criticism, but just based on presentation this has gotta be tied with like Contra Hard Corps and Streets of Rage 2 as just PEAK cream of the crop Genesis. I love it. Less cheap "gotcha" crap than in III. I also like in general how the Thunder series deviates from Gradius and R-Type by saying yes you have to memorize the game, but here's a bunch of lives so it's much more bearable and your ship being powered down isn't always as big a dealbreaker going for the clear. It makes it feel like you always have a fighting chance and can focus less on strict memorizing practice and more on actually playing. It's a fine line between practice/play with shooters though and very subjective.

Slap Fight MD Special Mode does indeed slap. So cool that you would have gotten the awesome vanilla Slap Fight plus a WHOLE OTHER GAME in one cartridge back in the day. Special Mode just seems like a misnomer...it's not an alternate Slap Fight version/mode...it's a whole new Slap Fight game. Anyway, I loved the fast pace and the weapon system where you can blow your wings up for a bomb at the cost of power, but then you're smaller and dodging is easier. Great dynamic there. Short loop too which is cool, especially after slogging through Gradius Galaxies which is about a 40 minute slog. My first loop clear took just under 13 minutes since I didn't die. But yeah really good stuff. I'd recommend Slap Fight Special Mode to anyone averse to console shmups (like Compile) who wants something more balls-to-the-wall. Both Slap Fight games are very much "shooting games" verses more bullet hell "dodging games." This is especially true since most of the shot types have limited range thus forcing you to constantly be aggressive. It works very well.

Thinking I might tackle Gradius Gaiden or Thunder Force V next. Good times.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

BIL wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Something I forgot to mention was that I had a bunch of old roms about two or three computers ago and there was definitely a version of this game with a third button to eject your front weapon. Anyone remember this?
That sounds amazing :shock: But sadly no, can't say I've seen that before. Maybe a MAME cheat? Or are you thinking of Image Fight II (PCE-CD)? That one has a dedicated Pod Shoot button for your options, much like the PS1/SS Arcade Gears and PS4/NSW ACA versions of the first game.

Christ, the thought of hitting a button and having the equipped Weapon just blast off to catch the boss square in his fuckin mouth for a one-shot kill is givin me beast wood. Image "RELEASE TEH RESTRAIN DEVICE" *FWOOSH* **PON** GRINDAN POINT TALLY SFX + OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD STAGE CLEAR JINGLE Image
More like "drop" than "eject". And I remember dicking around with a huge archive of roms my bro put on my computer without being asked - having not really learned the game at all, not realising how useful it would be to drop your front weapon if you wanted to grab a different one. I swear this was a thing!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now you frame it that way, I could swear I've actually done that in Image Fight II - only it's been forever since I played that. I wonder if it's some obscure mechanic carried over from the first game. Faaack! Must investigate.
Sly Cherry Chunks

^Never played Image Fight II - although, I'm interested in the Irem Collection Vol. 1 now - even just as a collector's piece. Initially avoided the ACA Image Fight as I wanted to play it on PC, on my tippy monitor.

Really should've set the scene with my initial 1CC post in this thread: Nova Scotia is literally on fire right now. Pre-primary teachers and care staff have been on strike for about a month here, so I'm stuck at home with my little'un, practicing Image Fight on my lunch break while the world burns around me. She loves to watch the ambulance come and pick the player ship at the end of the game - on this and R-Type Final 2. Sometimes it blows up before it can be collected though!
BIL

Post by BIL »

That does indeed appear to be Thunder Force III's lava stage, JFC m8. :shock: Take care of yourselves, you are the only person on here besides me who knows what a Ken Penders is!

Image Fight II's alright. Nowhere near a console-exclusive killer ala Delta, but acquits itself pretty nicely. Can't recall if it nicks the ambulance from IF1, but it sure blags a bunch of other stuff! You can tell they heard the wails of "JFC M8 DESU" from the PCE port's audience. HuCard is comically zoomed-in headcrusher-style, only instead of a rollicking good time ala MD Kyuukyoku Tiger, which is left to kinda do its own thing, they actually repositioned the furniture to match the chopped screen, which results in a parade of surprise bummings of your gigantic orange backside. 3; On top of all the expected ones!

IFII is nearly as claustrophobic, AR-wise, but its hitbox is SEXY N SLIM AN TING, plus the Pod Shoot button is nice, so it's overall a deceptively comfy game. Pretty tough too, got nothing on the dread JP IF1 2ALL, but it's well above console norms. At least IIRC! Been a while.

I will happily double up, assuming Granzella do not shit the bed somehow! Image
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

didn't get the clEar yet, but i started doin' very hard rank nO-miss run attemptz of dangun feveron a couple of dAyz ago, and i got to stage 4 of 5 on 1 life =D
so, yAy, hopin' i'll get the clear sOon ^-^

i posted this prematurely b/c i'm excited abOut getting this 1 since i'll have the novelty of clearing my 1st cave game X3
BIL wrote:Now you frame it that way, I could swear I've actually done that in Image Fight II - only it's been forever since I played that. I wonder if it's some obscure mechanic carried over from the first game. Faaack! Must investigate.
i dOn't recall it being a gameplay feature of image fight II since i don't think i ever used or saw it when i clEared it on hard a few yearz ago, but i have a dipsHit habit of not being aware of certain mechanics in games until it'z either too late and i've finished the game or i find out abOut it waaaaay into learning the game (thankfully it'z usually the latter, and so it avoidz me from lookin' like a high skill level airhead...or maybe i am??????) @~@
BIL wrote:That does indeed appear to be Thunder Force III's lava stage, JFC m8. :shock: Take care of yourselves, you are the only person on here besides me who knows what a Ken Penders is!
i gOt enough of the autizmo, so you can make tHat two on this forum tHat you know :B
ken penderz' comicz are the ontological prime source of autizm
BIL wrote:Image Fight II's alright.

IFII is nearly as claustrophobic, AR-wise, but its hitbox is SEXY N SLIM AN TING, plus the Pod Shoot button is nice, so it's overall a deceptively comfy game. Pretty tough too, got nothing on the dread JP IF1 2ALL, but it's well above console norms. At least IIRC! Been a while.
you thought image fight II wAs just alright? maybe it'z b/c i'm a huge iremtArd and eat up their shmupz like a fat guy munchin' at a buffet, but i thought it was a pretty kickass lil sequel :33
the claustrophobic design actually made it a bit mOre of a nerve-racking experience. the bosses are pretty vicious (the 1'z tHat don't have classic irem safe spotz anyway), and the level design is fukken solid. tOugh game on itz own, and definitely 1 of the hardest pce shmupz (rayxanber II probably still winz tHat title), but i agree tHat it definitely isn't as much of a bitCh compared to a 2-ALL of the 1st 1 on arcade. part of the challenge of the 2nd 1 is how limited the movement in those crAmped 'n claustrophobic environmentz will make yOu feel, but the ship'z tiny hitbox makes up for tHat, i think =o

also, the pod shootin' thing in the image fight games is an example of something tHat i didn't realize existed for the longest time. i never used it in my rUn of the 2nd 1 b/c i wOuld do it accidentally sometimes, but i never figured out how to do it when i wanted to do it, sO i never bothered using it to dodge or blast up sHit ^^;;
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:^Never played Image Fight II - although, I'm interested in the Irem Collection Vol. 1 now - even just as a collector's piece. Initially avoided the ACA Image Fight as I wanted to play it on PC, on my tippy monitor.
get a six pack o' beer + some amphetamines and play tHat sHit, sOn
Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

I suspect I rove IFII a lot more than I'm letting on tbh, out of deference for the venerable OG. 3; It's the kinda thing that, if its arcade forebear didn't exist, I'm sure would be regarded with comparable renown. Iconic hell labyrinth vert. It'd certainly be regarded as an uncommonly balls-hard console STG with some nice tunes and stunning cutscene art. :o

I am relieved to hear SCC-san and myself are not the only ones aware of the questionable gift from the universe that is Mr. Penders! :cool: When I want to ponder just who hit Sally The Cartoon Squirrel first, I know OL' KP is the man to ask! :shock:
Shmupking22

Post by Shmupking22 »

Finished Seirei SenShi Spraggan on PC Engine. Such a good game, I really enjoyed it. Stage 4 was very tough, particularly with those robotic worm type creatures. Kept getting nailed every time, but I kept with it and defeated the boss. 5th stage was good as well, my favourite overall, really like the art style and the boss design was good. I found it easier with ship configuration Green Yellow Green, also Blue Red Blue.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Sagaia for the Gameboy
1CC'ed the slightly harder -hard- setting of the 1991 gameboy title Sagaia, which is an unique game of the Darius series but has the most in common with the original Darius of 1986 including a mix of the awesome soundtrack. I have beaten the game after around 5 hours of training so its one of the easier STGs around. But never the less you will find some very good designed boss fights and of course enemy designs.

Technically it runs nearly perfectly with very little slowdown and flickering even though you will find basic parallax scrolling and animated backgrounds (1st level), which is very rare on the system. Collision detection is great as well. Even if its a bit reduced in many points, it teaches even inexperienced playes many basic genre skills. I really recommend playing this one.

(Sadly you dont see your score after clearing it)

https://youtu.be/q1GO7OiwZ_M
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Shmupking22 wrote:Finished Seirei SenShi Spraggan on PC Engine. Such a good game, I really enjoyed it. Stage 4 was very tough, particularly with those robotic worm type creatures. Kept getting nailed every time, but I kept with it and defeated the boss. 5th stage was good as well, my favourite overall, really like the art style and the boss design was good. I found it easier with ship configuration Green Yellow Green, also Blue Red Blue.
I avoided blue like the plague, whatever weapons it produced only seemed to make everything harder to deal with. But the green/yellow wave combo and the fireball weapons for bosses saw me through everything. If you haven't yet, be sure to put some time into the caravan modes. They're some of the best out there.
Shmupking22

Post by Shmupking22 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Shmupking22 wrote:Finished Seirei SenShi Spraggan on PC Engine. Such a good game, I really enjoyed it. Stage 4 was very tough, particularly with those robotic worm type creatures. Kept getting nailed every time, but I kept with it and defeated the boss. 5th stage was good as well, my favourite overall, really like the art style and the boss design was good. I found it easier with ship configuration Green Yellow Green, also Blue Red Blue.
I avoided blue like the plague, whatever weapons it produced only seemed to make everything harder to deal with. But the green/yellow wave combo and the fireball weapons for bosses saw me through everything. If you haven't yet, be sure to put some time into the caravan modes. They're some of the best out there.
Yeah there was a couple of times where I had naff weapons and couldn't get anywhere so I got Blue, but yeah they are not the greatest.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

1CC'd Infinos Gaiden on Arcade Difficulty. I expect a Hard 1CC coming soon because it does not changes that much.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Was amused to recall that Image Fight actually has an onboard stage select cheat. It's in the ACA version too, OFF by default. Hold [speed] and [start], then boof! [up/down] to select, [left/right] to start! I'd forgotten each stage has its own name. Choose ENDING for Loop 2 start! Surely handy for practicing. Clever IREM!

st2 SENKAN = Battleship, even I know that.
Spoiler

Also recalled that the Daedalus is one nippy little bastard at max speed. :shock: I always think of Garegga's Miyamoto B and Dangun, for "fast ships," but I'm pretty sure the OF1's a hair quicker than the former. Might be biased though. ImageFight and Dangun have glorious locked vertical pan, Miyamoto has to deal with screen scroll. And raising property values in an especially hostile marketplace.

MY SHOTS R FAST (`ω´メ)
(■`W´■) MY SHIP IS FAST 2

NANIIIIII (◎ω◎;)

Spoiler

Go tank go! GREAT PROPERTY VALUE is coming soon! Image

Oh yeah, RF's Judge Spear. That's another fast prick!
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

CLEAR List (LOG)
CLEARS
GameShip/Route/Mode NO-MISSClear TypeVersion
19XX: The War Against DestinyLightningNo(Rewind)PS4
Air GalletNoMulti-CCARC
Air DuelHelicopter only in Stage 3Yes(Save States)ARC
Batsugun SpecialAlteenoNo1CC (1-All)PS4
Batsugun SpecialAlteenoYes(Rewind)(2-All)PS4
Batsugun SpecialAlteenoYes(Rewind)(3-All)PS4
Batsugun SpecialAlteenoYes(Rewind)(4-All)PS4
Blazing StarPeplosNo2-CreditsPS4
DariusBurst: Chonicle SavioursADH/ADINo1CCPS4
Darius GaidenRoute A-B-D-H-L-Q-VYes(Save States)PS4
Eco FightersYes(Rewind)PS4
GG AlesteYes1CCGame Gear
GG Aleste IINo1CCGame Gear
Ghost Blade HDGhostNo1CCPS4
Giga WingRubyNo(Rewind)PS4
GleylancerYes1CCPS4
Progear No ArashiRing + NailNoMulti-CCPs4
Sonic Wings 2Mao MaoNoMulti-CCPS4
Strikers 1945 IIFlying Punkcake (Child)No1CC (1-All)PS4
Xevious 24-StagesNo1CCPS3 (in RR7)
Under Defeat HD1-ALL, ReverseNo1CCPS3

SAVE STATES: just before the boss or immediately after the fight.
REWIND: Rewind function in the game.
Difficulty: "Normal" if not specified.
ARC: Arcade games, if without auto-fire, played as intended.
Last edited by Lemnear on Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Sly Cherry Chunks

From the fastest ships - to the slowest ship ever, painfully dodging slow-moving bullets with a hitbox larger than the player sprite.. I 1CCed Xenon on the Amiga today via WinUAE. 1988 sure was a year!

Nice little 20 minute thing, this one loops every four levels with no noticeable difficulty increase after the fourth. I got a feeling the Atari ST version might play a little nicer, still - kind of a cute game. Fun tank-morphing gimmick and nothing beats a good old fashioned Image
Lander

(^_^;

Post by Lander »

Cho Ren Sha 68k, Day 3: Labbed 1-5 through 2-0, then managed to almost double my best and crack the 1-ALL on a throwaway last credit! :mrgreen:
Spoiler
Feels good man - it wasn't so long ago that the idea of 1CCing any arcade STG seemed out of reach.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

After 20+ years I decided to finally give DoDonPachi a real go. This one took me about 35 hours of practice, but I finally did it! This was by far the hardest 1cc I've gotten, mostly due to my crazy schedule these days. Feels great!!!
Last edited by mirkvid on Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Z-Out! As a massive eurotard, I've wanted this one for a long time. Got quite far about a year ago, sat down this week and practiced until I got the clear.

My thoughts:

Collision detection did feel janky at times. I've died more from micro-skimming the scenery than from anything else.
The spinning orbs weapon drops twice during the game. On stage two, the orbs fire their own shots. If you pick it up on stage four, they do not.
A bunch of other weapons drop only once during the entire game. The three-way shot on the final stage shoots three shots for only a few seconds before reverting to two shots. I actually try to stick to the laser/wave for the whole game. The weapons do seem kind of tacked-on, like they had to put in more variety just to make it like other shooters of the time when it would've been fine with just a straight shot to power up, more like Thunder Cross. The stages are extremely well-designed, just not with that kind of smart weapons management in mind that I prefer.

Overall great game, would love to discuss where all the secrets are.

And there's a Ball Shot too!
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

Damn, balls AND taint? :shock: That's a rare combo!
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Nahar wrote:1CC'd Infinos Gaiden on Arcade Difficulty. I expect a Hard 1CC coming soon because it does not changes that much.
And is done. I 1CC'd Infinos Gaiden on HARD. A bit disappointed with myself as I didn't beat the normal run score...
DGR114

Post by DGR114 »

GG Aleste
Normal Difficulty
High Score: 1,473,830
This is a fairly old run before I made my acc. Done in Oct of 2022. I beat GG Aleste 2 a week later but I didnt screen cap my score. I would post an actual pic but I dont have a micro sd card to transfer photos from switch to pc atm.
Blue Wish Resurrection Plus
Heaven Difficulty
Ship: Blue Hope
Guard: On
Score: 17,872,910
Date: 6/28/2023
I beat this on my first try. I was surprised since I'm terrible at bullet hell games. (And most shmups for that matter..)
I had a few deaths since I couldnt get my stick to work and I had to use a keyboard instead.
I've also started practicing recently for a novice 1cc of Mushihimesama and I also played a bit of Daioujou White Label to get myself hyped for the M2 Shotriggers port.
Steven

Post by Steven »

A few days ago I no autofire no missed to Kyuukyoku Tiger's stage 9 boss after not playing the game at all for almost 2 weeks. No autofire no miss 1-ALL coming soon...?
DGR114

Post by DGR114 »

Mushihimesama Futari Arrange
Version: Novice
Mode: Original
Character: Reco
Score: 207,756,941
This was my 1st attempt at playing Futari. I’m surprised that I got a 1cc on my first attempt. I very nearly got a no miss run but I died once on Larsa’s final form. I probably should have bumped the difficulty up to maniac since It felt a bit too easy.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Just got the clear in Akai Katana origin mode. And in true to form fashion I finished the run with a sliver of health left and no more bombs. And although my score is far from something to write home about, I did put in the effort to play a bit for score. It definitely makes the game that much more fun.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Z-Out! As a massive eurotard, I've wanted this one for a long time. Got quite far about a year ago, sat down this week and practiced until I got the clear.

My thoughts:

Collision detection did feel janky at times. I've died more from micro-skimming the scenery than from anything else.
The spinning orbs weapon drops twice during the game. On stage two, the orbs fire their own shots. If you pick it up on stage four, they do not.
A bunch of other weapons drop only once during the entire game. The three-way shot on the final stage shoots three shots for only a few seconds before reverting to two shots. I actually try to stick to the laser/wave for the whole game. The weapons do seem kind of tacked-on, like they had to put in more variety just to make it like other shooters of the time when it would've been fine with just a straight shot to power up, more like Thunder Cross. The stages are extremely well-designed, just not with that kind of smart weapons management in mind that I prefer.

Overall great game, would love to discuss where all the secrets are.

And there's a Ball Shot too!
Spoiler
good sHit, dude =D
i ended up having pretty much almost the same opinion of it as yOu do. i think unlike r-type, the force orb thingy in z-out is sorta more awkwArd to use too. i usually only ever switched it from front tO back if it was really ever completely necessAry.
aside from tHat though and the wonky fukken fatass rectangle of a hitbox, i definitely agree tHat it is super well-designed. stage 5 was the most fun level to learn. snd i thought the boss fight and the sprite work for him were both pretty bAdass. along w/ io, apidya, and katakis, z-out is mOst likely my favorite euroshmup.
do you have a replay? nOt enough clearz of this 1, so i'd dig watchin' it you got it up anywhere

alsO, i never nOticed the giger asshole + ball sack combo. tHat's sOme sharp eye-ball-sackin' right there
Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Yes, bring on that Z-Out love! It’s a brilliant game that is woefully underappreciated.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

It's taken just over 20 years, but last night I finally managed to get an S++ rank in Chapter 3 of Ikaruga on Normal:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Kiken wrote:It's taken just over 20 years, but last night I finally managed to get an S++ rank in Chapter 3 of Ikaruga on Normal:
Good job, that’s the hardest chapter in the game by far.
Sly Cherry Chunks

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:do you have a replay? nOt enough clearz of this 1, so i'd dig watchin' it you got it up anywhere
Yeah, if I can cobble together a decent enough run I'll upload it somewhere. I seen yours. There's a bunch of secrets that I don't see in any of the other replays, hidden pickups that help you recover from some of the more awkward spots - So I think my run would be genuinely worth sharing with anyone interested in the game. You can also move your options around Thunder Cross style, I might incorporate that too.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

My return to G-Darius has born fruit: I’ve successfully no-missed Lambda route! Only a 19.7 million score, so I’m just painfully a little shy of my 20 mil+ goal, but the elation from going deathless well makes up for that (curse you, going bottom route in Stage 2 instead of top…).