I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Randorama

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Randorama »

Darius II 2-screen mode (Route: A-B-D-G-K-Q-V, final boss "Bio Strong"), and Darius again (extra version, another Route: A-B-D-G-K-Q-W, final boss "Green Coronatus-W"). Awful scores, but another grudge solved (i.e. Darius II 2-screen mode, and I never beat "Bio Strong": a 34-years grudge!).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

OmKol wrote:Raiden II 1-ALL. Did it literally first time after reaching stage 6 without miss so it was an insanely lucky clear. I mean I've practiced every stages but I've planned to practice them more because I kept dying in the first five stages and didn't remembered later stages very well. I've died on stage 7 boss and somehow cleared final stage with low power. What...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQKJUmSBOs
The fact you did this in less than 2 weeks is mental! GGs for clearing such a mean game, will watch the replay when I get the time to do it.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I wanted 1CC #150 to be a special one. I've wanted a Psikyo clear for many years, and it was one of my shmup new year's goals for both 2022 and 2023.

I've been playing Samurai Aces on and off for a few months. I practiced the more static back half of the game first, and got it memorized real well, then dealt with the randomized starting stages after that. I also realized some of the randomized stages are much easier than others. The river stage in particular is nasty if you get it at level 3, while the Cherry Blossom stage never really gets that difficult.

I got the Turtle Boss stage, the Cherry Blossom stage, and then the Farm on this run. Stage four has a random stage boss. I wanted to get the purple boss, since there is a safe spot in the bottom right corner. After that, I was taking a whole lot less risks, with planned bomb usage for anything that was dangerous.

I thought this was going to be one of those games where you needed to maximize every bomb and life, but I actually had a spare life in stock when I cleared it.

Made it to 2-2

Nahar

Post by Nahar »

I did it!!!

I 1CC'd ZeroRanger!

I attained enlightenment.
To Far Away Times

Nahar wrote:I did it!!!

I 1CC'd ZeroRanger!

Congrats, ZeroRanger is one of the finest STGs out there, IMO.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

To Far Away Times wrote:
Nahar wrote:I did it!!!

I 1CC'd ZeroRanger!

Congrats, ZeroRanger is one of the finest STGs out there, IMO.
I'm just beginning in this journey of 1cc'ing games, but yes. I found it stunningly good.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Got the no-miss on Gradius PCE. Man, was that a ride. I can't remember the last shmup I played where I felt like survival was so dependent on luck. So many runs ended by random nonsense, I'm glad it's not a longer game. But it feels good to have such a massive classic checked off. Fantastic port too, it wasn't until I went to watch video of the arcade that I realized just what an upgrade the PC Engine version really is. Especially in the music department, wow.

I also beat R-Type I on PCE...which is to say, I beat stage 4 of R-Type. I don't have II yet, Suruga-ya wanted $50 for it when I made my last order and I'm quite sure I can find it cheaper than that. Probably at Suruga-ya; I paid ¥1200 for a copy of Dragon Spirit that arrived with a ¥200 price tag on it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Surugaya is weird. When I bought my Slap Fight PCB they had it on the website for 55000 yen. When I went to the store to check it out in person they gave it to me for 44000 yen.
Sengoku Strider

Got the Final Soldier 1CC! W00! I'm on fire this week!

Absolutely loved this one to death. Like, it shot right up my all-time favourites list. I've actually been playing it for a couple of years, but couldn't get over the hump until I moved from Wii U Virtual Console to real hardware. This game is the dictionary definition of a fast, hyper-kinetic mind-meld-with-the-dpad shooter, and will absolutely reward you for every bit of lag you remove from your setup. It's making me wish I had a way to record footage off my PCE; it's one of those rare games that challenges you while also somehow making you look really good, it's constantly got you pulling off epic moves at high speed. I really think this one's had a raw deal from shmupworld reviewers who treat it like the black sheep of the PCE Soldier games. On a pure gameplay basis it might well be the best of the whole series.

But I'll hold off on making a rant thread until I've got them all under my belt. I got a copy of Soldier Blade in that last Suruga-ya order (yes, I paid through the nose for it), so I'll try & knock that one off next. That's another one I've been playing for a couple of years on Virtual Console, but have been capped out at stage 4 or 5.
To Far Away Times

You're in for a treat with Soldier Blade. If I had to pick one game to represent the "PC Engine Style" shmup, it would be that one.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

I thought Final Soldier was great. It was my first 1cc. I think it gets a bit of a wrap since it gets compared to Soldier Blade and Super Star Soldier which are even better. Those two are definitely on my list of 1cc attempts. They are quite a bit more difficult than Final Soldier so that has prevented me from really digging into them.
To Far Away Times

Part of the problem is that Final Soldier was released after those games. In a vacuum, Final Soldier is perfectly fine as a stand alone game. As a follow up that's supposed to build and improve upon Soldier Blade... eh.

Super Star Soldier I have mixed feelings about. It looks nice and sounds even nicer, but I wish the gameplay was a a little more polished. The final boss is basically unbeatable if you lose your powerups (it copies itself faster than your firepower can shoot it down, leading to an inevitable defeat.) There's also a few spots where enemies come from behind, but the level design doesn't try to pull you away from the enemy spawn point.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

To Far Away Times wrote:Part of the problem is that Final Soldier was released after those games. In a vacuum, Final Soldier is perfectly fine as a stand alone game. As a follow up that's supposed to build and improve upon Soldier Blade... eh.
The naming scheme is pretty misleading, Final Soldier was actually released before Soldier Blade (1991 and 1992 respectively) :P
BIL

Post by BIL »

copy-paster wrote:
OmKol wrote:Raiden II 1-ALL. Did it literally first time after reaching stage 6 without miss so it was an insanely lucky clear. I mean I've practiced every stages but I've planned to practice them more because I kept dying in the first five stages and didn't remembered later stages very well. I've died on stage 7 boss and somehow cleared final stage with low power. What...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQKJUmSBOs
The fact you did this in less than 2 weeks is mental! GGs for clearing such a mean game, will watch the replay when I get the time to do it.
Seconding, holy fuck! :shock: Bravo!

Final Soldier's biggest shortcoming versus SSS and Blade (and Nexzr) is, while they all have balls-hard (and balls-entertaining!) max difficulties (SB's on the lower end to be sure), Final just inflates everything's HP. If a game's gonna parameter tweak, rather than redesign stage layouts, upped bullet frequency and/or speed are perfectly acceptable... turning popcorn into gravel, oof. Still a very likeable game, I just consider it the junior member of that set.

I've still not played GunHed properly, but it has to get a nod for difficulty settings POOR BODY, NORMAL DOG, and GOD OF GAME.

Speaking of jawbreaker zako, it's not a problem if you're given a suitable nutcracker. Got a 1LC of Phelios just in time for today's release of ACA Grobda, which I've got a reet heavy-metal bonner for m8. Image Image Dem Ikari chainsplosions Image Titular deathmachine's screw-drive treads look fukken hawt too!

Vrroom vroom, blap blap blam! (all credit to the great YOU.SHINO!)

I suspect I could've nabbed said 1LC at least a week earlier, but being both stubborn and lazy, I wanted to see if I could manage a three-Option run. It's so much more enjoyable, but sadly, it gives the final boss insane HP. 2xOption is a stiffer, less resoundingly triumphant run, but said bigbad will die reasonably. Like a dumbass, I eventually conceded to the nerf, then distractedly powered up at the literal last minute. Worst of both worlds. :lol: (he's not quite as Tonka-tuff; I guess Rank ticks up once you max out, ala Gradius II's Option Hunter)

Particularly enjoyed the climactic vision of the underworld's lowermost depths as not flameh flamewrrld, but primeval haunted vacuum - excellent stuff. Super cool game with Rank in need of a little sanding down, but said issues are handily exploited/controlled around, so all's well that ends well, and AFORON-SAMA can enjoy some classically Olympian twincest with his sisterwaifu LEMY-HIME. Image
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

All Soldier games on the PCE are great. If I had to rate them it would go like this: Soldier Blade > Super Star Soldier > Final Soldier. I'd argue, though, that the best game in this style, Nexzr, isn’t actually part of the series, much like Gate of Thunder is the best Thunderforce-like game.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Darius extra version (A-B-D-H-M-S-Y, "Cuttle Fish-Y" Boss) and Darius II (A-B-D-G-K-Q-W, "Little Stripes" Boss). The Y stage in Darius is quite fun, given that it involves ultra-tight manoeuvring through ultra-narrow corridors. Both were 1-LC's, actually. I am half-tempted to 1-LC one more route per each game, but maybe I could just move on to further titles in the series (revisit G-Darius before tackling the 21st century games?).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

After around 55 hours I got my 1cc in Raiden IV Arcade (original) in the original difficulty. Its great that it has so many difficulty settings so you can nearly seamlessly give you the pain you can stand. Very glad I achieved this and can put this game back to its box. If I look at the playtime, I guess its the second hardest game Ive played so far after Tatfujin in its Mega Drive version

https://youtu.be/bpwKzRt1wBo

The fact that it is designed and has to be played differently compared to the games I played so fare was very interesting and it was (mostly) fun to learn it but the kinda "soulless" graphics and design of the world and enemies just wont give it a warm place in my heart.
It was my first game with this much focus on aimed shots, which is even now a bit odd for me and it sadly wont give me the skills needed for the earlier Toaplan games because the bullets are not that precise in these games and of course the room is much smaller.
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

After much dawdling, buckled down for the Mushi 1CC (Normal), my first arcade-standard clear of any kind. Thanks to the Forum for being a welcoming and encouraging place.

Edit: added the 1.5 Normal clear for good measure. It's a little easier -- slower bullets, but with heightened enemy activity in certain areas -- and the enemy bullet patterns are same or similar, so I recommend bagging it right after Normal Original.
Last edited by dojo_b on Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcass

Post by bcass »

That's a good place to start, well done. In fact, I think it's definitely one of Cave's best games. You're going to love Futari if you enjoyed Mushi.
Agt2018

Post by Agt2018 »

Managed to beat Gradius III (Arcade) on PS2 port last time after probably months of trying. The feeling of satisfication is so amazing there. Oh yeah you have to beat this game 1cc because the game kicks you out to the title screen if you lost all of your lives
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Well:

1. Darius extra version (A-B-D-G-K-Q-V, Boss "Strong Shell-V");
2. Darius II (A-B-D-H-M-R-X, Boss "Little Stripes": fourth final stage from the top);
3. Mahou Daisakusen (Miyamoto, H attack; cleared the first loop, died at 2-4).

The Mahou clear was surprisingly fast, but the game is generally easy except for the final stage boss rush. I may go for the full ALL clear, though I wonder if I have the stamina for it. It's a 1+ hour marathon, after all, but the OST is glorious. I'd have a full set of 1-CC's on the series, since i also 1-CC'ed Shippu Mahou Daisakusen (both loops, Yashiki stage on first loop and Kobold tower on second loop) and Dimahoo (of course).
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Darius Extra Version (A-B-D-H-N-S-Y, Final boss "Cuttle Fish-Y") and Darius II (A-B-D-H-N-S-Y again, Final Boss "Little Stripes-Y"). Horrible runs both, I must say (I was down to my last life in the second case). I may try to 1-LC the remaining routes, but "Great Thing" is one hell of a final boss. Else, it's "So long, and thanks for all the fish" for these two classics :wink:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Congrats!! That's a lot of dead fish
Spoiler
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thank you! More oceanic genocide: Darius Extra (A-C-F-J-P-U-Z, Final Boss "Great Thing-Z").

I had a small epiphany when fighting the boss via save states and realised that with missiles and a risky, aggressive approach the magnificent bastard is doable. In a nutshell: I stopped powering up at missile lvl 7 (always do this), then reached this boss with tons of shield, and then kept a relative close range aim of its mouth to immediately destroy the small shrapnel bullets and render them near-innocuous. With lvl 7 missiles, it is possible to constantly eat the mouth and the head, the boss' vital point. Still, I was hit 7-8 times, so there are margins for improvements.

I am missing two routes on this one (top-most, bottom-most) and two on Darius II (bottom ones) to clear all arcade/original series routes and put the ultimate grudge to rest (1986-2023, dammit). I will move to the Burst series afterwards...and join the Darius love thread :wink:
Steven

Post by Steven »

I finally beat fucking Kyuukyoku Tiger.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Steven wrote:I finally beat fucking Kyuukyoku Tiger.
1 cc? Jesus, congrats!!! wish I could do it, that would be a 1cc dream :) on a good run I can make as far as stage 5 and thats with a lot of sweat and plenty near deaths. Incredible game!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Darius Extra (A-C-F-J-O-U-V, Boss "Hard Shell-V"), Darius II (A-C-F-J-O-U-V, Boss "Bio Strong"; (A-C-F-J-O-U-Z, Boss "Mother Hawk").

All final stages on both games; I also tried Darius New Version to compare with the EX version. Definitely easier, and one game I could 1-CC (well, 1-LC) on demand. R.I.P./Q.D.E.P. fish-driven grudge about beating all final stages in the "original" Darius arcade series (1986-2023). I will probably put together some ruminations in the relevant thread, when ready.
Sengoku Strider

Isn't EX just so freaking good? It just feels so...visceral, like a boxing match against 1000 robot space fish or something. I had a great time with that one. Darius II was also a strong effort, but the devs didn't quite have the time or chops or ROM space to turn out the same level of polish.
GothamBeauty

Post by GothamBeauty »

Hey there,

Decided after many years to actually start saving my 1 cc runs - https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEMH ... 0KEDwda4sj

So far 1CC on Original and 1LC on novice mode in Graze Counter GM.
Sengoku Strider

Got the 1CC on Soldier Blade. It's not arcade hard, but it's not a pushover either. The last 2 stages are so boss-heavy that it just takes time to learn them. What a kickass game though, it's one of those rare shooters that I was able to go at for hours without wearing out

I wrote previously here that I got the Final Soldier 1CC. I don't own Super Star Soldier but I do have Star Parodier coming in the mail. But until then, I guess I'll tackle Gunhed/Blazing Lazers in my PC Engine Soldier-like 1CC quest. I know I beat it back in the day, but I can't remember if I did it in one go. Probably not, so I'll just try & make it official.