I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by xxx1993 »

Beaten the Dramatic Mode of Sol Cresta!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I finished Life Force NES today.

A couple weeks back I got a clear of the Arcade version of Life Force and then Salamander shortly thereafter.

Life Force NES is a neat little game. Much like Contra, the NES couldn't replicate the arcade experience 1:1, so the port was treated like a director's cut, with lots of additions and changes, basically making it a whole new game. Life Force NES is nearly twice as long as the arcade version. There are some familiar parts, but so much of it is remixed, or has new enemies, or has entirely new levels that it really is worth it to play both the Arcade version and the NES version as they are two separate games IMO. It is fun to see how they are similar, yet different.

One of the best parts of the NES version is the stage four from the arcade version becoming a remixed stage two here, with the frustrating elements taken out. The invisibullets from stage four are replaced by volcanoes here, and simply slow the game down when there's a lot of sprites on screen - a much better compromise. The infamous stage four boss is much improved here, to the point where I would just improv it every time instead of trying to nail a safe spot. The battle then continues with a brand new second phase.

Stages four and five are all new, and some of the better levels in the game. Stage four has a body theme, and eases off the gas a bit, allowing you to regain your power ups after the intended difficulty spike on the stage three fire level. Stage five takes you from a space cavern to an Egyptian temple. It doesn't fit with the theme of the game, but it is cool. And rule of cool always prevails.

Stage six tries to stay fairly close to the arcade original (The 3x big core fight is absent, having been moved to a horizontal format in stage five), but the final boss is improved a bit, as it is no longer defenseless.

Overall, an easy game with a couple difficulty spikes (stage one and stage three). I first played it last night for about three hours and less than two hours this morning and got the clear.

The NES versions of Life Force and Salamander share the same power up system and as far as I can tell are identical to each other, other than the Head's Up Display being slightly different. So unlike the arcade versions of Life Force/Salamander, I don't see a need to play through both.

I really don't know if I prefer the Arcade version or the NES version. Most people were introduced to the series through the NES port. The arcade version is better on a technical level a little more challenging, but the NES version is so different, with some things being sorted out and improved upon despite not being technologically on par, that it's really hard to pick a winner. Really, I would just recommend playing both.
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

1cc'd Crimzon Clover WEx Arcade Original mode
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Scramble Formation. OK, OK, it's Tokio, JP version, but I wanted to clear this version as well. Sort of a half-baked 36-years old grudge :lol:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

To Far Away Times wrote:The NES versions of Life Force and Salamander share the same power up system and as far as I can tell are identical to each other, other than the Head's Up Display being slightly different. So unlike the arcade versions of Life Force/Salamander, I don't see a need to play through both.
FC Salamander is slightly more optimized and allows for a third option. It also has some additional graphical content during the end credits. Small changes, sure, but still worth playing if you've spent time with the NES release.
To Far Away Times wrote:I really don't know if I prefer the Arcade version or the NES version. Most people were introduced to the series through the NES port. The arcade version is better on a technical level a little more challenging, but the NES version is so different, with some things being sorted out and improved upon despite not being technologically on par, that it's really hard to pick a winner. Really, I would just recommend playing both.
The arcade version has a dreadful rank system that'd make most Yagawa games blush. You should give the PC-Engine port a try. Much closer to the arcade original in overall technical terms but with some much needed retooling to the rank system.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

1cc for Raiden Fighters 2 (X360) + TLB on arcade difficulty.

Much easier than Raiden Fighters, because the fairy is OP.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

got Gm below 10 minutes in tetris the grand master 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrXnixnv6kI

was one of my long term goals along with tgm2 master gm which i got last year, feels nice to have gotten it finally. going to go for tgm2 death gm now, which might take a while
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

A Metal Black 1CC with autofire (ACA).

Great game. I don't feel that autofire trivialises the game on the whole, but it does kind of mangle the bosses (who may be... a bit on the easy side anyway?). Either way, took me a while between launch and now to get it, dipping in and out.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Definitely on the easier side overall, MB's boss roster - it's no Darius Gaiden, even sans autofire. About the only major undertaking is st4/Amazo, if you want all his loops. Congrats on the 1CC!
To Far Away Times

Metal Black has some challenging stages. I remember the stage with the mines (stage 2?) being pretty tough. Bosses do tend to be easier than the stages, but I don't necessarily mind that. Happens a lot in old school hori's. R-Type follows that pattern for the most part.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Cheer BIL. In honesty I found Daio, stage 3's dung beetle, the most troubling. I tend to try and take down his great balls of shit as they descend the screen whilst backing to bottom-left, and end up taking a purple squiggly in the eye. Amazo though, yeah I don't like to hang around that guy too much either.

Far Away - agreed, the stages are what it's all about here. Even with autofire you can't just tear the screen up. Positioning and early kills are key. Stage 2 is nasty, especially the boss approach.

Edit: I mean Daio stage 3 boss... not stage 2 :mrgreen:
To Far Away Times

The dung beetle is one of my favorite shmup bosses.

He's kinda cheap, but there is nothing else like that fight in shmups. It's so cool.
BIL

Post by BIL »

st2 boss approach is the game's hardest segment hands-down, I always try to no-bomb it only to experience authentic spacefish terror. :cool: Prime spot for a long-lived Beam.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

It's the one spot in the game where your pattern recognition, anticipation, ship placement and reaction really have to come together in sweet harmony. I usually bomb it :mrgreen:
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

just looped hishousame today which is only the 3rd game I've looped including muchi muchi pork (1.01) and batsugun special (does this count? lol)
got decimated by the stage 3 battle ship at the end of the stage in the 2nd loop after I couldn't recover from the lost powerups
a creature... half solid half gas
faxedasto

Post by faxedasto »

I'd love to work on Batsugun Special but am sort of holding out to grab the Saturn version. I've played a bit of Air Gallet and actually had a fair amount of trouble with it. I've been playing Truxton 2 at the local arcade, I enjoy it but it's SO LONG I can't really see myseslf actually getting the clear, I'm not sure I've even seen the stage 2 boss yet lol. I have been meaning play more Psikyo.
https://get-mobdro.com/home/
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got my first CAVE clear and my first new clear of this year: Saidaioujou novice mode. Rather than feel like I played a game and enjoyed it, I feel like I performed work instead. My score is so terrible that I am hesitant to submit it, but it is progress of some sort.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Samurai Aces, first loop on normal. Sweet!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

1cc'd Darius Gaiden on Saturn. I know everyone says it's supposed to be a cakewalk, but I'd always run out of resources at the last boss and had to continue until now. I had a miracle run where I suddenly merged with the matrix and only took one death, to a hail of bullets near the beginning of Zone V.

So far I've 1cc'd:

Darius EX(MD)
Darius II (MD)
Darius Gaiden (SAT)

I want to tackle Darius Twin next, just as long as I can get the cart working. It's been cranky.
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

Akai Katana Shin 1cc on Switch

Absolutely love this game, its so well designed and so fun to learn and master.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Got the 1cc in Override for the PCE. Man this game is frantic, but probably one of my easiest 1cc's. Knocked it out in about 2 or 3 days. You get a ton of extends which really contributes ro the easiness. But overall it was an enjoyable experience and kind of an underrated game I think. What really shines though is the OST.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Got the 1cc in Override for the PCE. Man this game is frantic, but probably one of my easiest 1cc's. Knocked it out in about 2 or 3 days. You get a ton of extends which really contributes ro the easiness. But overall it was an enjoyable experience and kind of an underrated game I think. What really shines though is the OST.
I've heard it's basically Blazing Lazers, just with kinda bland art design.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Override could've really used a second loop and/or Hard mode. One of the all-time best charge shots ever (not on PCE or even on console - outright genre shortlist material), but little to use it on with real urgency. Would've been rad busting it out while facing some real downforce. Having said all this, I still need to try out its X68k expanded remake Last Battalion, which might've addressed exactly this for all I know.

Great time for what it is though, kind of ImageFight via Compile with its weapons suite. The "flying tank" ship design is really cool, especially later on in the ground-based stages, which have some pretty nice use of terrain. It also helps to play by Elemental Master rules, I think - ship blows up = one credit used. It's easy enough they could've gotten away with hardcoding it that way, but the PCE was generally a feelgood-first STG platform.
Sengoku Strider wrote:I've heard it's basically Blazing Lazers, just with kinda bland art design.
Way more concise than BL/Gunhed. I wouldn't call it bland at all aesthetically, just classically earthy/metallic. Pretty nice take on the classic parallaxed metal canyon at one point. Puts a ton of action onscreen with virtually no slowdown or breakup, too. Not a bad game at all, if you're into the platform's Compile/Soldier games.
To Far Away Times

You know, I think Override might have been a little better if you actually were a tank on the ground. You kinda look like a tank, but you fly, at quite a high speed too, and I thought it made the game feel just a little loose.

Override feels like it's close to nailing it, but I don't think it quite sticks the landing. I've never been able to play more than a few credits without bouncing off and playing something else.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

There actually is a second loop which is noticably harder. I only had a few lives left and just burnt through them in the first stage of the second loop. Although at that point I wasn't really trying
Sengoku Strider wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Got the 1cc in Override for the PCE. Man this game is frantic, but probably one of my easiest 1cc's. Knocked it out in about 2 or 3 days. You get a ton of extends which really contributes ro the easiness. But overall it was an enjoyable experience and kind of an underrated game I think. What really shines though is the OST.
I've heard it's basically Blazing Lazers, just with kinda bland art design.
It kind of falls in line with the speedy caravan shooters. And it isn't quite the looker, but it is not terrible. It is not the worst I have seen, but yeah there wasn't much memorable about the art.
Last edited by Creamy Goodness on Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Creamy Goodness wrote:There actually is a second loop which is noticably harder. I only had a few lives left and just burnt through them in the first stage. Although at that point I wasn't really trying.
Was there? :shock: I'll have to go back and try it out, I'd resigned myself to just the one. Maybe I was charge-shotting everything to death. :lol:

EDIT: oh yeah, I remember now, looking at my old posts. Loop 2 start was what I wanted back then.
To Far Away Times wrote:You know, I think Override might have been a little better if you actually were a tank on the ground. You kinda look like a tank, but you fly, at quite a high speed too, and I thought it made the game feel just a little loose.
You are on the ground for one of the later stages. :smile:
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Darius, extra version, A-B-D-H-M-Q-X (...I think: up-up-up-down-down-up-down, Octopus-X route). I stopped at lvl 7 missile, but I maxed out arm and bomb. Just in time for the 35th birthday? Anyway, I am pretty sure that I never 1-CC'ed this version so I can claim yet another 36-years old grudge (1-LC'ed it, even: but then again, it's the only option if using missiles).
Last edited by Randorama on Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

After 2 months of fairly relaxed practice, I got the 1CC of In the Hunt on the PS4. Unfortunate deaths left me with the wrong weapons for the final level, but I managed to improvise and get over the line. This is actually the first 1CC of a shmup that isn't too easy (my others include Thunderforce III and Mushihimesama Futari Black Label original), so I'm satisfied. I'm going to try and achieve the same feat on the PS1 version before moving on to R-Type Delta I think.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I finally cracked 300000 in Monolith!
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Raiden II 1-ALL. Did it literally first time after reaching stage 6 without miss so it was an insanely lucky clear. I mean I've practiced every stages but I've planned to practice them more because I kept dying in the first five stages and didn't remembered later stages very well. I've died on stage 7 boss and somehow cleared final stage with low power. What...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQKJUmSBOs