I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Angry Hina

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Angry Hina »

Yes. Will start with it next week :)
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

You get two different levels in the Genesis version, and while they are a little bit cheap with their memorization, the levels are also really quite memorable and they contain two absolutely legendary songs, and I think you'll like them. So good I had to figure them out on a piano and I don't even play piano. Thunderforce III was one of my first 1CC's and its a special game for me. In the early days it was actually in the shmups forum's Top 5 of all time!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The C-2 hardware TFAC uses has some advantages like a speech synthesiser, but also a couple bottlenecks like the sound being CPU driven due to no Z80. It also uses the 3438, like the model 2 (though later models use an improved implementation of it and sound very nice. From what I heard from the C2 games, I'm under the impression that their Genesis counterparts have superior music, though).
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I've played TFIII some years ago but haven't 1cc'ed it. I really hold it high because of its great leveldesign and of course its soundtrack (which is noch on that level in AC). But its a bit ago and will see how much I like it nowadays. You don't think that its a top Shooter anymore?

Quite odd, that they changed the Levels in AC despite TFIII was such a perfect package. But AC Temple stage is awesome as well.

@BrianC: But the C2 could have been used for superior graphics, right?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Angry Hina wrote:I've played TFIII some years ago but haven't 1cc'ed it. I really hold it high because of its great leveldesign and of course its soundtrack (which is noch on that level in AC). But its a bit ago and will see how much I like it nowadays. You don't think that its a top Shooter anymore?

Quite odd, that they changed the Levels in AC despite TFIII was such a perfect package. But AC Temple stage is awesome as well.

@BrianC: But the C2 could have been used for superior graphics, right?
The Temple stage of AC is great, but also just a mash-up and asset-reuse of some TFII levels, so it feels a bit of a cheap change when the original two were so good. I love St 4 of AC though, so my perfect version of Thunder Force III would have all the original 8 levels, and St 4 of AC before the original St 4 of TFIII. Give the bosses more health (especially phase 1 of the final boss,) and you've got yourself perfection.
The Thunder Spirits two additional levels look nice but lose a lot of what makes Thunder Force so great. They are both slow and plodding while you wait for enemies to appear, before going off the other end of the spectrum with the barely dodgeable asteroids in St6. Definitely the weakest Thunder Force levels of the whole series in my opinion.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Played the unique Thunderspirits stage yesterday the first time and I think the asteroid section and the boss are the weakest spots of the "Thunder Force III series". Its quite unusual to have a so long lasting boss. Smells a bit like TF IV...

Stage 4 of AC isn't bad but surely weaker than the rest (except the spaceship stage. I think this one lacks as well a bit).

For perfection there are some sections where just not enough happens. The two wall like midbosses of the second last stage for instance. In Thunderspirits these two guys are a bit more interesting. In AC you don't really have much to do there.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah Thunderforce AC has a weird difficulty curve. That big battleship stage is an absolute cakewalk if you hold on to your homing weapon. Kind of odd for a late game stage when actually even stage 2 provides a bit of challenge. It works ok bc I think anyone playing Thunderforce AC is looking for a laid back difficulty anyway. After a long hiatus from shmups where I played only fighting games, this was the first game I cleared to get back into it and shake off the rust.

Saw you asking about the revision of the Switch version in the high score thread. M2 labels the roms Old and New with Old being the Japanese and New being the World rom. It defaults to Old and if you change to New you will get default border art that looks very western as well as be locked out of the online arcade leaderboards.

Kind of confusing bc on the the splash screen at start up where it normally says, "this game is to be used only in Japan" the word Japan was changed to Earth. Maybe just to avoid any confusion?
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Ahh, many thanks to you. So there is no real reason to play the new version, right?
I will mention it in this thread.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Pretty sure there are some balance changes to the World/New version, but to be honest I don't know much about them since I stuck with the Japan rom on my clear.

One of the things I like about the Switch version is the different ships. Any chance you'll try them now that you got the 1LC?

To me the most interesting new ship is the one that has damage from the rocket blast that comes out when you switch speeds. You can use a technique like on Image Fight where you apply autofire on the speed switch button, giving you a constant high damage reverse point blank attack. (You can set this easily in the options). You get more points using this method so it's a bit more potential to figure out scoring tricks than the standard ship. IIRC you can do the same in TFIV.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I believe TFIII old version (the original Japanese release) has the highest boss health out of all the various iterations of the game. For example I was surprised when G-Lobster lasted more than a couple of seconds and started showing a whole different attack phase. Definitely the best way to play the game as blasting a boss to smithereens in seconds isn't as satisfying as learning to confidently dodge their various attack patterns for a short while....before blasting them to smithereens!
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

At the moment I try the much harder "hard" setting (there is a hardest setting as well) but after that a video with the TFIV ship would be cool as well. But I'am not so much into scoring and there are other games to play (TFIII and thunder spirits for instance ;) ) so I guess I will miss that.

I am surprised by the hard mode. Even in stage 1 there are much more bullets to be aware of. In stage 2 you have to take other routs and it seems that there is not even one of the shield Items, if you haven't dyed till then.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I actually managed to 1CC Gun Frontier's arcade version. I'm still shocked, and I ended the game with like 4 extra lives stocked due to a shockingly good run of Stage 5's really nasty section at the end with all the tanks in the buildings. Apparently the Saturn release is far easier due to no rank, so I've been told?

I got the good ending but it was a pyrrhic victory because when I finally landed the shot on the TLB we both died, but apparently that doesn't result in a bad ending.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, the Saturn version is very much a reconstruction, by none other than future Triangle Service man Toshiaki Fujino. It's really no substitute for the arcade version, even by the "arcade imperfect" standards of that generation. Still a helluva experience aesthetically, though. :cool: Congrats on the arcade clear!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I actually managed to 1CC Gun Frontier's arcade version. I'm still shocked, and I ended the game with like 4 extra lives stocked due to a shockingly good run of Stage 5's really nasty section at the end with all the tanks in the buildings. Apparently the Saturn release is far easier due to no rank, so I've been told?

I got the good ending but it was a pyrrhic victory because when I finally landed the shot on the TLB we both died, but apparently that doesn't result in a bad ending.
Really? I thought when you died against the final boss it resulted in a bad ending, usually. How could the game treat it like it’s no big deal?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

If the true last boss results in both of you getting killed, it still counts as a good ending apparently. I didn't know about that either when I got the 1cc.

It makes sense; in the English version the ending says "THE BRAVE'S NAME WILL BE IMMORTALIZED FOREVER". You don't have to be alive for that to happen, you still killed the boss of the Wild Lizards and all his lackeys, so you saved the world, even if you ended up dead in the process. There's tons of stories out there where the hero dies in the end. :D

Or, if you don't like that explanation, as I told the folks watching when I got the 1cc, let's just pretend I managed to eject just as I fired the last shot. (ง ^ w ^)ง
BIL wrote:Yeah, the Saturn version is very much a reconstruction, by none other than future Triangle Service man Toshiaki Fujino.
That's really interesting to know! Kudos to Rastan78 for digging up that info.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I see. I still prefer to stay alive since you still show up in the good ending.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Here's my latest clear - Mushihimesama Original (Steam) All-Clear S-Power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwcnQZZSms

Can't decide if this is easier or harder than my other recent Cave clears. If anything makes it harder it's enemy bullet speed. Next up is Espgaluda. What's the best way to play this? I'm guessing not the PS2 port.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Next up is Espgaluda. What's the best way to play this? I'm guessing not the PS2 port.
The PS2 port is excellent. Just like DOJ it was handled by Arika. Can't go wrong especially if you are going to play on CRT since it has pure 240p output that will look very similar to the PCB. Some of the other PS2 ports like Mushi and Ibara have issues with their image quality for those who are sticklers for that sort of thing.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Rastan78 wrote:Some of the other PS2 ports like Mushi and Ibara have issues with their image quality for those who are sticklers for that sort of thing.
Ah yes, I think that's what I'm mixing the Espgaluda port up with. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a CRT. I'm guessing it'll be fine using PCSX2? I have an original launch model PS3 (NTSC CECHA 60GB) on very low firmware that I can softmod otherwise.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

https://twitter.com/tinotormed/status/1 ... 7269970944

Return of the king, boys and girls! Final Star Force no miss clear! Replay video with commentary shall be coming up sometime early next month as an early Christmas treat for you all!
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
To Far Away Times

After watching the Bullet Heaven episode on Steredenn: Binary Stars I decided to pick it up after their glowing review. And what a fun game it is! For the uninitiated, this one's a rougelike that plays like a shmup with lots of randomization.

I hit a wall on the stage 6 boss for a while, but once I figured that out it was smooth sailing all the way to the end and the 1-ALL. I prayed to RNGesus, and was rewarded with the devistating combo of the Ninja Bots and Flamethrower. I actually did the first loop without getting the shield, which was pretty surprising. Then I managed to get a number of defensive powerups early in the second loop and managed my first ever 2-ALL of anything. So that was pretty cool. I ended up dying on stage 5 of the third loop. Fun little game. On sale for ~ $5 on the Switch eShop currently.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Forgot to mention:
Thunder Force AC in Hard and Hardest as 1LC. Interestingly the Battleship stage got the needed difficulty push in hardest.
https://youtu.be/Gcm5BktbR9E
https://youtu.be/lpRtpe2j0oc

Later I've cleared Gynoug. Was really close to get a 2nd loop clear... If I just had one life more... Was kinda surprised because this run was my first 1cc try. Before that I've trained some of the stages separately or used every now and then the rewind feature of the switch version. Recorded the run on the MD:
https://youtu.be/ryUvhgxvLdw
The hard mode sadly seems to be a little too uncoordinated in the bio stage.
To Far Away Times

I 1CC'd Razion Ex tonight. 8)

Not the hardest game out there, but it took me a surprising amount of tries to conquer it. More than most people would take, I would assume. I've really come around on this game the last few days. I thought it was decent; but as I uncovered the scoring system I really started to like it a lot. You can get three extends via score instead of the usual two, and if you score well enough you can get all the extends before the end of stage 3. The score system here is really great, and has that Nintendo-like "layers upon layers" to it's design and how the game mechanics are woven in. Maybe my favorite scoring system in shmup ever. At least dabbling in the score system makes a 1CC much easier, since if you don't engage with the score system you probably won't reach the third extend, maybe not even the second one in a full run.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

MUSHIHIMESAMA MANIAC 1CC

Took me 120 hours hardest video game shit i ever did
To Far Away Times

Nice. Mushihimesama Maniac is way hard.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I as well had a lot of fun with Razion. Its really good on the harder difficulty too. Sadly the bosses do not scale with these settings.
And I know the feeling, that the next step (1cc in a harder difficulty) should be doable in no time but then.... you need 12 hours more to do so ^^
SPM

Post by SPM »

To Far Away Times wrote:I 1CC'd Razion Ex tonight. 8) Not the hardest game out there, but it took me a surprising amount of tries to conquer it. More than most people would take, I would assume. I've really come around on this game the last few days. I thought it was decent; but as I uncovered the scoring system I really started to like it a lot. You can get three extends via score instead of the usual two, and if you score well enough you can get all the extends before the end of stage 3. The score system here is really great, and has that Nintendo-like "layers upon layers" to it's design and how the game mechanics are woven in. Maybe my favorite scoring system in shmup ever. At least dabbling in the score system makes a 1CC much easier, since if you don't engage with the score system you probably won't reach the third extend, maybe not even the second one in a full run.
GG! You can get all 3 extends on the first stage (at least on maniac) in case you want to dive deeper into its scoring system. :) And a maniac clear is right there if you already cleared normal :wink:
Angry Hina wrote:I as well had a lot of fun with Razion. Its really good on the harder difficulty too. Sadly the bosses do not scale with these settings.
And I know the feeling, that the next step (1cc in a harder difficulty) should be doable in no time but then.... you need 12 hours more to do so ^^
Bosses do scale, but not much (for instance, first boss's smaller missiles will explode in all directions when you destroy them on maniac and not on novice/normal, as shown on the clip above). They may also have more HP, like it happens with regular enemies, but I don't remember.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
To Far Away Times

Thanks for the kind words. I need to check out Razion EX Maniac at some point. It looks quite good.

Consistency is tough in this game. I think in nearly every run I got clipped atleast once by something I didn't notice. Those little pink diamond bullets are just subtle enough for me to ignore them while looking at the cubes. I hate those little diamond bullets in gradius, and I hate them here too. The patented "invisa-bullet."
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Don't think the bosses have more HP. They die or get into the next phase in the exact same moments. Some protecting objects like the Astroids could appear more often ore have more HP like the rockets from the Lv 1 Boss.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Holy crap, I just beat Einhander on Normal mode without losing a single life!