I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by To Far Away Times »

Futari Black Label and DDP Resurrection are roughly on par with each other in terms of difficulty. If you can clear one you can clear the other.

Futari Black Label has less room for mistakes since it doesn't have autobomb, but it also asks a lot less of the player (no bullshit lazer wheels, for example). DDP is more forgiving in that you can make little mistakes and it doesn't matter. Though in Futari Black Label I've been able to clear that game with three lives remaining with my kuso play, which is way more than I've cleared any other CAVE game with, including DDP Resurrection. I guess it depends on how consistent your runs are.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Resurrection felt like there was a huge amount to remember, even for a scrappy run like mine.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

bcass wrote:............. I found this a lot more difficult than DS1 & DS2, which a lot of players compare to in terms of difficulty. MFBL Original is next on my Cave list, hopefully I have an easier time of it than I did with Resurrection. I've completed games placed much higher than this on the Japanese STG Difficulty Wiki list, so I'm not sure why I struggled with it so much. Eitherway, definitely glad to be moving onto the next game!
Because I don't think it is that easy. For example, DS-1 on easiest routes (selecting all 1's and no extra stages) is substantially easier than this. And hence there really is no comparison between DS-1 (on easiest routes) and Resurrection.

Don't want to criticize the difficulty list yet one more time (since the list seems reasonable overall if one just consider difficulty of survival clear ....... at any rate, I find it a useful reference). But yeah, this seems to be placed a little lower than one would expect.
One can speculate that one reason might be the "autobomb" since that means one just has to play reasonably consistent "overall" and not worry much about timing of bomb usage. So that takes away some of the apprehension in full runs.

Another thing, as I re-call, is that stage-5 seemed to have some level of memorization required. So, as usual, it also depends on the details of practice modes available (which I don't know about).

I got 1-All of this back in 2018 but I don't remember which version was it (and which style/ship-type I used). It was some mobile version of this game.
bcass

Post by bcass »

wiNteR wrote:Because I don't think it is that easy. For example, DS-1 on easiest routes (selecting all 1's and no extra stages) is substantially easier than this. And hence there really is no comparison between DS-1 (on easiest routes) and Resurrection.
Sorry, I should have been clearer - I meant the arcade modes in DS1 and DS2. In DS1 arcade mode, you can not go through the whole game at just rank 1 (level 1), you have to select an equal distribution of rank 1s, rank 2s and rank 3s. Xbox 360 Mode is easier, as you can go through all stages at rank 1.

Looking back at Resurrection, it's clear that for a quick 1-all, you need to save all your resources for the final stage (which is what I did). What makes that stage really difficult is the fact that the rotating lasers force you away from the bottom third of the screen, which is where you would ordinarily spend most of your time in most shmups. That in turn means that you are being bombarded from all directions by masses of bullets + lasers, again, something that is not something you would need to worry about in most shmups. To make matters worse, you'll likely be using hypers a lot on this stage, which increases rank, making an already difficult situation worse. Purely on the basis of stage 5, I think I'd rank it higher than it's current position. It's currently way below R-Type. R-Type took me a weekend to no-miss, while I spent almost a month practising Resurrection ver 1.5.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I just cleared the PC Engine version of Dragon Spirit. That might not sound like much but there's a huge difficulty spike right at the end, took me a lot of attempts to get it.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

God, Bcass was really hammering out those clears. X-Multiply is HARD.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Been a while since I've posted here, but I finally counterstopped Mars Matrix AC (without even having to clear it 8)). Was playing it for Calice Cup.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

XoPachi wrote:X-Multiply is HARD.
-pOps arm out from sewer drain and grabs yOur ankle- ACSHULLY!!!

x-multiply isn't really all tHat bad. it's a lot mOre accessible than the majority of irem's output in terms of difficulty (r-type II, image fight, gallop, etc)
it's a decent challenge, but nOthing really too sinister. it's prObably one of irem's eAsier clears tbh. you cleared darius gaiden, sO i'm sure a 1-ALL of x-multiply isn't outside the realm of yOur ability ^^
(x-multiply 1-ALL could be a bit hArder than darius gaiden's v-rOute on default dips, but i dOn't think it would still be tOo bad)

-vanishes baCk into the sewer-
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
bcass

Post by bcass »

Mushihimesama Futari Black Label Original (Xbox 360) All-Clear Reco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTklmq52wlQ

This took me 9 days to complete (playing in the evenings after work), so I think I'd rank it easier than DDP DFK 1.5. Apart from a silly mistake at the stage 3 boss (easily the most difficult stage) and another on stage 4, I think I played a lot better in this compared to my DFK 1.5 1-All. The dodging at 21:20 is hilarious, and the inevitable hit fully deserved! I think this is a better game than DFK 1.5 and one that I might come back to at some point, maybe to try Maniac and/or try for a 1-All with Palm. When I was practising full runs, I kept resetting when I died at stage 3 (so a lot!) but eventually gave up on that tactic to see if I could get to the end and finish it, which I did. So my tip is to not get too bogged down with reset syndrome if you're just going for a 1-All!

Next I'm thinking of either Akai Katana (X360), Futari Original (X360), Pink Sweets (X360), or Mushihimesama Original (Steam). For anyone who has cleared those, which one do you think I should try next? I'm working my way through all the Cave games, roughly in order of difficulty, so the gentler the difficulty curve (compared to the game I just completed) the better!
To Far Away Times

Nice! I totally agree. Stage 3 is the hardest part of Futari Black Label and it gets easier from there.

I've cleared all those other games except pink sweets which, I dunno, I'm not the biggest fan of that game except for it being a curiosity due to the infinite lives glitch. The visual style is such a turn off. Less bad than MMP, but not by much.

Mushihimesama is probably a tiny step up in difficulty from Futari Black Label, but its easier than regular Futari. Akai Katana rocks (especially the slash mode), and I would put it in roughly that same level of difficulty as Mushihimesama.

All those games are well worth playing in any order though.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Which Akai Katana (Shin/Slash) character would you recommend?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

bcass wrote:Next I'm thinking of either Akai Katana (X360), Futari Original (X360), Pink Sweets (X360), or Mushihimesama Original (Steam).
Mushihimesama has some very tricky patterns, and the shot types aren't as powerful relative to the sequel, Futari. Akai Katana is quite manageable too; it's more complex mechanically but you have a lot of resources to work with.

Futari Original clear with Palm Abnormal or Reco Normal would be a good next step as you're already familiar with Black Label Original. Akai Katana will take more learning but isn't too bad, certainly not for someone who's already got some significant clears. The yellow plane's a spreadshot character and the green plane's got a lock-on shot, both are ideal for beginner clears. The ship with the thinner shot doesn't seem to deal that much more damage than the others that it's worth using it, but use whoever you enjoy.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try Akai Katana next as I want to keep things varied, plus I've never completed a Yagawa game before.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

It might be a stretch to call Akai Katana a Yagawa game. Of course he did work on it as programmer, but it doesn't really have much in common with his other games that have that signature Raizing style.

It's confusing though bc sources like Wikipedia and hard core gaming 101 list him as the director of Akai Katana for some odd reason. The arcade version lists Tsuneki Ikeda as director and 360 version lists Hiroyuki Kimura.
Yagawa: In my case, I’ve been a part of this game since the initial conception of the arcade version. So the contents and the playability of the game had never been my concerns while doing the programming design. To explain my work assignment - I worked on the internal coding parts of the software and the others dealt with the parts which more directly have to do with the visual parts of the game.
Yagawa: This time around I didn't participate in the initial planning at all, but rather worked on realizing the concepts developed by the main designer Mr. Nomura.
Oh and without having cleared all of the games above, I'd still say you can't go wrong with Futari original.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Got the 1cc in Battle Garegga's Premium mode using the October. Already had the platinum trophy, but this really feels like a win. Still have no idea what the announcer is saying when you get an extra bomb though.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Still have no idea what the announcer is saying when you get an extra bomb though.
Clearly he says wabble brabble up.
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:Clearly he says wabble brabble up.
I hear WEPPEN ZEPPEN UHP
trap15

Post by trap15 »

For a serious answer, it's Weapon Level Up (the game canonically calls bombs "weapon").
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sengoku Strider

trap15 wrote:For a serious answer, it's Weapon Level Up (the game canonically calls bombs "weapon").
I thought it might be this, but 'represent it up' and 'weapon set is up' were the only other things my ears could come up with.

The jump to arcade is pretty good from premium, they balanced that mode well as a stepping stone. Premium puts up a fight but only seems to calculate rank between stages, which lets you get a way with a lot, and has auto-bomb, which changes up the game completely. Suddenly collecting all those weapon fragments becomes much more desirable.

I went from 1cc on premium with a Grasshopper variant, to "even the fast version of this ship is too slow here." I'm trying with Flying Baron before resorting to the more normcore choices; after about an hour of play I'm able to hit stage 4 consistently with a rank under 10.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

If you're up for it, give Silver Sword a shake before you move on to cheesing the game with Snail/Miyamoto. By far the best representative of the "intended" survival experience, moreso than the default ships in many other games are.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

New PB in SideLine. Old was 5.7 million at Loop 4, Stage 5, new one is just under 10 million. Loop 6, Stage 5. Gameovering at Stage 5 again is totally expected and not a coincidence. The first 4 levels are MUCH easier because few of the enemies are actually affected by loop rank and the ones that are affected are easy to deal with.

Stage 5 however is always brutal because there's like 3 different non-trivial enemies who are affected by loop rank and it turns into Raiden snipe speeds, with the worst being the spiky balls that teleport in and flood the screen with shots. It's straight up a resource dump level in the later loops, and even though it's relatively easy to go in with a full 7 bombs and full shields it's a nightmarish level. I have a couple of new strategies for the downward sections where the pipes explode with debris to minimize how many bombs are needed though. Hiding in the bottom left works for the first one and the second one may potentially be doable by turtling at the bottom right for most of it. I would have hit 10 million and potentially cleared Loop 6 had I not had an absolute mess of a run in the last level of Loop 5 where I died a good 8 times or so, thus losing all my resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOFWbk08zA

I also really need to upload a thumbnail because all three of Youtube's default suggestions are from in-between level cutscenes. :lol:
Sengoku Strider

I've never seen that game before, it puts out so many Euroshmup vibes but seems rooted in Japanese sensibilities. I had to look it up...Taiwan, huh? Interesting.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Whatever the graphics may lead you to believe, unlike many MS-DOS shmups of its era it has absolutely zero euroshmup in it. It's got a very small hitbox, no inertia, no health bar, full invulnerability bombs, full invulnerability shield (which can take 3 hits including terrain damage, hitbox doesn't increase when active) and a Battle Garegga style option adjust button. The design is essentially modern, top tier arcade style gameplay. It's a very cool game and is a very achievable difficulty for a 1CC (of the 1st loop): https://sideline.ghegs.com/
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Wow game looks great. I've never heard of it even though I was a huge DOS gamer BitD. I will definitely try it some time. Congrats on the loops. 4 hours what a marathon!

EDIT: Anyway not much of an achievement but I got the G-Darius beginner mode clear (from the normal start) on my first real attempt.
Spoiler
It's very easy cause you can just beam every boss with a captured mid boss. I did mess up beaming the last boss as he just rekt me with his own beam of some kind.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I decided to try and hit 10 million. I managed to get as far as Loop 8, died on the final boss's last form (my own fault, was getting tired and had a few chaindeaths that sucked resources, started playing bad). I think difficulty tops out at loop 6? Something like that, anyways, someone with perfect play may be able to do a counterstop. I ended up getting 14 million.

But the game somehow glitched out and didn't show me the score screen to enter my initials when I hit N to not continue. Gah! It did enter my score on the table... but as the default "AAAA". Pretty sure I didn't hit enter by accident afterwards or anything...

I retire from scoreplaying this. At least for now =3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkYVD2nyRs
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

It's been a while since i've posted anything here and possibly longer still since i've cleared anything... but i did just clear crimson clover arrange/normal difficulty (score 5,154,159,954,330).
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Yay, got the Axelay 1CC on Normal, and then made it to 2-2 where I played way too aggressively and needlessly ran into too many enemies. I've gotten to 2-4 before from a 2CC of the first loop yielding less lives at the start of the 2nd. My understanding is the 2nd loop is just the "hard" difficulty, so I look forward to revisiting the game on that setting. From what I've seen so far, it's much more busy and there's a lot more slow down. There's some new Boss patterns too you don't see on normal, maybe because certain boss attacks can now force you into defensive positions you did not previously need to assume (on normal, I mean).

I guess I'm getting to the point where these "easy" 1CCs do indeed feel quite easy. That being said, they're less psychologically taxing than setting a 1CC goal for more demanding games, so I don't feel like I've quite outgrown them yet.

Some more thoughts on the game:

Stage 1 feels very calculated on the part of the game designers. For one, they decided as the opener it should be one of three vertical stages with a visually unique cylindrically scrolling background, which I assume would have had a certain wow factor at the time, and still looks pretty damn cool if using a CRT shader and presumably a real CRT too. Two, the first few enemy formations are geared around the round vulcan, probably the most important tactical weapon in the game. Struggling with these formations teaches the player that they can shoot in a circle, and that they can tap rhythmically to maintain an angle of fire. The stage also loops on the horizontal axis, a Konami signature. It's a bit hard to decipher the decision to make Stage 1 the only stage that does so, especially because unlike say Gradius Moai stages, it's not something that the player will do naturally trying to avoid obstacles or enemies, staying centered suffices here, but rather something they might notice messing around on subsequent runs. If scoring weren't broken, it could be a fun means of wracking up more points, so maybe this was the intent - something for players to aim for after they've already mastered surviving the stage. The first part of Stage 6 also loops, but vertically, as it's a horizontally scrolling stage.

That said, stage 1 IMO is not an ideal opening stage. First of all, it also introduces you to the fact that hitboxes don't distort along with the graphics. Now that's both a good thing, and a bad thing. It's a good thing cause once you get used to it, it's simple and easy to deal with. It's a bad thing because you expect the hitboxes to match the graphics. Like if the floating island laser battery is only 20 pixels tall or whatever cause it's distorted, you don't expect the hitbox to be 40 pixels tall cause it isn't, doubly so cause you can't actually see hitboxes, just the graphics. The other part of Stage 1 that I found annoying is that part where you need to take a hard left and hard right through the narrow passageway between floating islands. It's very easy, but if you don't know that you shouldn't try to adjust your ship under any circumstances (the exploding mines suggest maybe you should) during the passage you'll lose a life. Paired with the fact that in Stage 1 you'll also learn the formula 1 obstacle collision = 4 bullets swallowed, you'll learn to steer well clear of anything chunky looking and it all kind of feels a bit kusogeish.

Anyway I remember when I first made it past Stage 1, Stage 2 was like a revelation. Everything was much tighter and as a result more tense. It's also quite a well designed obstacle course where you have to time your movement through moving platforms and find good angles of attack under cover. The round vulcan really shines again here, but also the new bombs you get, which make short work of the boss (and without which said boss can be quite a test of patience).

Stage 3 also taught me something, which is that you need to crank the autofire up in the options otherwise you might not be able to destroy the pipes (?) blocking your way.

Anyway once I'd had a bit of experience with all 3 of the game's vertical stages, I grew quite fond of them. For one, all their bosses are amazing. Mid bosses less so, but stage bosses definitely. They have manageable RNG (although I still don't understand how to dodge Stage 5 boss' fire breath so I just hope he doesn't use it too many times) that both keep you moving and focused. At the same time, the bosses' patterns don't pose high execution requirements and they dish out quite a bit of score, often giving you the extend, as so happens, in case you got a particularly difficult fight. Also, the bosses are just really quite spectacular. Stage 1's robot spider maybe the least, but Stage 3's shape shifter (I find its 2nd form especially pleasing) and Stage 5's fire giant are incredible. Finally, just like their bosses, these vertical stages are quite varied with what they ask from the player and the kind of patterns they throw at you. Nothing feels especially "puzzly", at least on normal and hard (keep in mind I can't speak for Stage 5 on hard yet), but you have to have a some strategy, e.g. knowing to switch to a certain weapon, or to hold a particular position. There are some gotchas with getting hit from behind by straggling enemies or obstacles you thought you'd already cleared, but even those I grew to appreciate as a another fount of play complexity.

I really like the game's weapon system. I found a use for all the weapons except the one that replaces the round vulcan, which is a really unique and versatile weapon. Some people might complain that the round vulcan overshadows all the others, IMO that's not necessarily true (e.g. I found I used the needle cracker just as often in the stages I equipped it), but even so, it deserves to be the most used weapon, it's just that enjoyable to use. Another especially nice thing is that the early weapons remain viable throughout. Only the final pod weapon ("Wind laser") makes the others redundant. I also like the game's power down system. Eating a bullet scuttles the weapon you were using, which both punishes the mistake, and forces you to improvise and learn the other weapons too. On the other hand, losing all your weapons and then eating a bullet results in a lost life which restores them, and thus avoids the "spiral of death" and difficult recovery issue some other games have. It's really quite a great balance.

Other people have sung the praises of Stage 6. I must concur whole-heartedly. One of the best stages I've experienced in a shmup so far. The first half is an amazing loop scrolling space battle with capital ships, and the second half is a tense crawl through an obstacle filled mechanical mothership corridor up there in quality with the last two stages of fellow SFC hori shooter Biometal, whose final boss has a similarish design philosophy. I found Axelay's one a bit less of an endurance test, although the second phase also RNG spams you to keep you moving around frantically. Shame shame shame that the manipulable mirrors of your ship that make up the final phase of this fight give score, and thus break scoring! Easy infinite milk using cluster bombs. On the plus side, it seems like it would be an easy fix, just change their score value to 0. Probably even a cheat could do this.

Anyway great game. I rate it quite highly. After the 1CC, it's still my personal favorite 16-bit original shmup, right next to Biometal. Biometal's even more unique player capabilities are even better incorporated than Axelay's (levels designed squarely around the shield slam vs levels accommodating a swiss army knife of weapons (the premier being the aforementioned round vulcan)), but Axelay has greater variety of play.
Spoiler
Last edited by Licorice on Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
To Far Away Times

Axelay's a good time. Like you said, the vertical stages are a bit of a kusoge and but then you figure out how they work and they grow on you and they're a lot of fun.

The "taking 4 hits mechanic" still keeps the tension and stakes high but drops the difficulty way down.

And yeah, the bosses are some of the most impressive graphical showcases on the SNES. The fire boss especially was mind blowing for me.

Still waiting on that Axelay 2, Konami.
Spoiler
And no, not in pachislo format...
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Licorice wrote:Yay, got the Axelay 1CC on Normal, and then made it to 2-2 where I played way too aggressively and needlessly ran into too many enemies. I've gotten to 2-4 before from a 2CC of the first loop yielding less lives at the start of the 2nd. My understanding is the 2nd loop is just the "hard" difficulty, so I look forward to revisiting the game on that setting. From what I've seen so far, it's much more busy and there's a lot more slow down. There's some new Boss patterns too you don't see on normal, maybe because certain boss attacks can now force you into defensive positions you did not previously need to assume (on normal, I mean).
Technically, Axelay has 4 loops:
Easy -> Normal -> Hard -> Hard 2

So if you want to stock up on extends and don't mind doing a marathon session, as it were, start on Easy, which will then loop to Normal and then to Hard.

Completing Hard 2 causes the game to soft lock after the ending (shades of Dogyuun... get four loops in and watch the game crash).

Also... just got my first All Clear in Normal Mode of the Switch version of ESPGaluda 2: https://youtu.be/7aNHP9sO53c
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Just knocked out Lords of Thunder for the PCE-CD. I know this game gets a lot of praise and I can see why, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I felt like although it is on the easier side, the challenge that was there felt pretty frustrating. The lack of challenge mainly comes from being able to replenish resources after every stage. But it seems like in so many parts of the game it is almost impossible not to get hit to some degree. This coupled with haphazard enemy placement and environmental hazards it just didn't really jive with me. And in a way it felt like a platformer where you are flying rather than a shmup. And I liked a couple of the tracks of the OST, but overall wasn't too big into the whole power metal soundtrack. But in the end I was into it enough to stick with it for the 1cc. Took me about a week and a half playing for about 45 minutes a night.