shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164
 Post subject: Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:37 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
That's compile for you. Congrats on 1cc'ing it, I gave up after my first experience of the difficulty spike.

Spriggan I enjoyed much more though.

Spriggan was a blast, and I love Zanac, MUSHA and many other Compile games. BL though ended up being a tedious slog. Once you know how to collect the glowing orbs for restarts (and which weapon to have when) it's more of an endurance test than something super tough, but I won't be back to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:13 pm 

Armed Police Batrider Shorty B Normal Course ALL 1CC.

So, I believe I almost did this once before, but caused a second boss (the really hard red mech) to appear on the Highway stage. I read the ST on this forum, and learned how to avoid that. Anyway the clear came easily after practicing the bosses using the boss rush mode. Not so much because I learned to play with them like the pros on YT, but because in trying to do so I learned which patterns are doable and which ones I should bomb. That being said I did die to Boredom during this run. I died somewhere else too, but forget where now, I think somewhere stupid on Airport. I got my one extend shortly after, which I understand is optimal from a rank management perspective. That's the cool thing about games with rank is whenever you die you can tell yourself "yeah that was intentional, needed to get the heat off" lol.

Anyway really cool game. I like to think of it as a really well designed RPG in disguise. I refer mainly to the way you "build" your party (through the team edit, power ups and the autofire settings) and how the game reacts to what you do (rank, boss triggers). It also feels a bit like a pinball game with all the scoring targets and the fact that you're meant to hit them with your aura or bomb.

Sewer and Airport seem to be all about managing the zako threats to open positional windows for the scoring, with brief moments of tension against midbosses. Not that I was doing much of either zako management or scoring, due to using Shorty B with her beefy homing missiles and trying to stay purely survival focused.

Sky High is all about those two midboss planes and Boredom.

Finally, I found Highway to be a very tense midboss rush, and I imagine it would have been doubly so if I were trying for the extend tricks. I guess this sort of boss rush is what console games like Soldier Blade, MUSHA and Elemental Master were going for in their final stages, just didn't do as well.

When I was first learning about the genre, Batrider was the shmup that attracted me the most. But whenever I played I'd get stonewalled by Confrict. So meager were my abilities. Now, having slowly worked my way up the difficulty list, I found Confrict a cakewalk, and the normal course clear being discussed quite breezy too. Notable is the fact that at first I mixed vertical and horizontal clears working my way up at first, before getting stuck on a vertical rated a 10. I actually dropped down to this one (a 9), thinking I'd fare better, but it was not to be. I realized even though my highest clear was an 8, my highest vertical was a 5. So my last 6 clears were all about re-climbing that ladder with verts, and I've found it to be very smooth so far. My conclusion is that the skill set for being good at horizontals doesn't generalize perfectly to being good at verticals.

I also realized that my initial impressions just reading about shmups have been fairly accurate so far in predicting which games I'd enjoy. There have been some surprises, of course, e.g. Same Same Same, which I didn't think I'd like at all, but now it's probably in my top 5. So is this game. Probably my top 3.

Spoiler: show

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:33 pm 

Congrats. The true greatness of Batrider IMO is that it's one of those rare shmups everybody can get a good time out of; no matter the level of commitment or skill, it always has something to offer. I hope you try playing with different characters and scoring at some point - it's very easy to work bite-sized improvements into your play, but very hard to be consistent at everything in full runs. I recommend trying out Bakraid too if you haven't already, the chaining is bizarre and it doesn't have Batrider's immediate charisma but it's still an appealing game with a similar play feel.
Licorice wrote:
That being said I did die to Boredom during this run

Ironically much less of a problem in Batrider than some other games. (Unless we're talking Gob-Robo. Then it's a problem.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 am 

Silpheed (Sega CD) stage 1-4 no damage, took one single hit on stage 5.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:35 pm 

Hello again, everyone! :)

As of a couple hours ago today, I got my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2! :D I even managed to beat the score of Azinth's 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, which was, incidentally, 2,748,600! :)

I played as Tavia for this one, in-case anyone was curious about that.

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome | Discord ID: VioletHatPurple#3086

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:37 am 

Zeroranger 2-all type c 2-4-6

Bad score, but some fun strategies with this setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:31 am 

Woah, that's a tough one! Great clear!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm 

Finally cleared the second loop of SideLine for MS-DOS. It seems to loop infinitely since it went into a third loop with no TLB triggered in loop 2, and the main difference was bullets got even faster, like sniper speeds. Very nuts. Managed to get quite far on limited resources too, made it all the way to Loop 3, Stage 7:

The previous rank 2 score was one that gameovered on the final boss during loop 2, so I'd say I did pretty darn decently. Also discovered a new 1UP location and that there's two bombs to obtain during the final boss!

Video of run on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/624033525

Thanks to Plasmo, BPZeBanshee, viewtyjoe and other folks for stopping in and sayin hi, cheerin me on, etc, appreciate it.

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:13 pm 

Holy fuck those are some nice GRAFX, thought I was looking at an IREM/Nazca game at first!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:15 pm 

Someone yesterday in the stream commented that it looked like it could've been a Neo-Geo game, the graphics are that good. For an obscure Taiwanese shmup from 1996 only released there and in Poland, it's literally the best MS-DOS shmup ever made, far, far ahead of the likes of Euroshmuppy stuff like Tyrian 2000.

Also, updated post with video link on Twitch. Will have to upload it to Youtube at some point too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 pm 

That's great! I'm glad someone knuckled down and did Sideline - I spent a bit of time with it then wandered away. Such a great find.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:40 pm 

I couldn't possibly let the mystery of how many times it loops go unsolved! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:51 am 

I'm embarrassed at how long this took, but after playing off and on for about five years (127 hours according to Steam) I have now FINALLY beaten Mushihimesama on Normal.

I can now cross 1cc'ing a Cave Shmup off of my bucket list.

I can't believe it took me so long. My heart feels like it's about to explode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 am 

Nice job twotone. No worries; some games take longer than others! Was it Original, Maniac, or Ultra mode! I've cleared Original myself.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:19 pm 

Just original. I never thought it would take so long. I have noticed that it has made other cave shmups that much easier, so hopefully I'll be able to manage a bit better in other shmups now that I've buckled down on one of them. There's still a few bosses that I was never able to master and just have to bomb through them. I'm very very sick of playing through those first two levels though, as I can do them in my sleep by now.

I may give maniac a try on 1.5.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:21 pm 

I DID IT! Salamander 2 ALL clear after roughly 10 days of failed runs. My heart starts uncontrollable as soon as I reach 2-6, and I even no-missed loop 2 until Doom.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:04 pm 

Got my first 1CC! All Cleared the novice mode of Crimzon Clover WI. Maybe not impressive, given it's only the novice mode, but I'm pretty happy about it. It was actually the first time I got to the final stage of the last boss too. Time to move on to the actual arcade mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 pm 

I've not played the novice mode in Crimzon Clover but isn't it supposed to be pretty legit? It's not like a CAVE free 1CC novice mode I don't think.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164