9th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bee Cool

Re: 9th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

Post by Bee Cool »

Rob wrote:One is a quote from an imaginary man.
But it is the essence of the argument presented by people who want to have rules restricting votes are making. Saying a list that does not fit their criteria implies too little experience (and who knows what sufficient experience) is a huge leap in logic. Why would we want a list where people are forced to pick some games from the 80's that they hate? It makes no sense. It would be just as bad if we forced somebody to have a least one Takumi and one Raizing game in their list, if they absolutely hated modern style shmups. All we are doing is creating a poll that will produce results that make the rule creators happy. Deciding who is worthy of voting or enforcing rules change how someone can vote fundamentally alters what the poll was ostensibly designed for, to take a snap shot of the board's taste each year.
RIP in peaces mjclark and Estebang
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bee Cool wrote:But it is the essence of the argument
No, it's really not.
Bee Cool

Post by Bee Cool »

Care to explain your reasoning then? Writing one line responses that don't contribute or that are just flippant doesn't make a good case.
Zombisaurus

Post by Zombisaurus »

Out of the games on this list, which are good for a relative newcomer to play? (That person being me. :)

Im thinking Gradius V, Mushihimesama Futari, and maybe one or two more to get a better broad taste of the genre.

Any thoughts? (360/PS3/PS2 preferred)
Last edited by Zombisaurus on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Batsugun Special and the original Espgaluda are great introductions to bullet hell games. R-Type is one of the finest terrain-based horizontal shooters, and Gradius V is one of the fanciest. Raiden DX is an excellent example of the Toaplan/Raiden style of old-school vertical shooters. And of the Psikyo games listed, Strikers 1945 II is probably the easiest to get into.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I'd also suggest Raiden Fighters and Deathsmiles from that list as learning tools. Both have highly adjustable difficulty, and are reasonably cheap on 360.

In the Raiden Fighters games, you can independently adjust bullet density, speed, etc. Start low and work your way up. It will also give you a taste of a several scoring systems found in other games (quick kills, medal chaining, simultaneous kills, secrets, etc).

In Deathsmiles, you can adjust the difficulty of each level. Start them all on level 1, then when one particular stage seems too easy, turn up the difficulty on just that one stage. Repeat until you can clear them all at level 3. Only add in the extra stage when you feel more confident (it has a serious difficulty spike).
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Oh, for the record, I do think Bee Cool is right. Limits on a list of your favorites, aside from how many in total there are, is completely absurd. However, I do agree with the idea that if your top 25 is almost entirely CAVE, you're probably Doing It Wrong (tm).
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I remember making a personal rule last year to not put a single Cave game on my list. I remember this making Bee Cool very, very, very angry. I don't know why - if I'd put some Cave games on I would've just picked the bad ones!
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Zombisaurus wrote:Out of the games on this list, which are good for a relative newcoming to play? (That person being me. :)

Im thinking Gradius V, Mushihimesama Futari, and maybe one or two more to get a better broad taste of the genre.

Any thoughts? (360/PS3/PS2 preferred)
IMO, Deathsmiles is the ultimate beginner game. It has adjustable difficulty levels per stage, and its pretty much designed with shmup newbies in mind. It should be pretty cheap these days, probably around $15 new.
Bee Cool

Post by Bee Cool »

Drum wrote:I remember making a personal rule last year to not put a single Cave game on my list. I remember this making Bee Cool very, very, very angry. I don't know why - if I'd put some Cave games on I would've just picked the bad ones!
You have a poor memory. I wasn't mad about the list, I was disturbed by you just yelling out of the blue that you wanted to vote simply because you don't want to choose Cave games (which is a strange reason, regardless of developer) and then acting like I'm a bully because I wanted to know why. It eventually ended up with you saying: 'because I'm a trolling dick' and then blabbering on about how I'm mad at you and that you dislike Quake III and how I must be upset by it.

Most of your responses are just calling me mad.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

oh, ok
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bee Cool wrote:fundamentally alters what the poll was ostensibly designed for, to take a snap shot of the board's taste each year.
No one wants to take this snapshot anymore, so maybe altering it a bit is a good idea.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I say we remove Batrider, maybe the price will go down a bit.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
chum

Post by chum »

I for one am excited to see a top list by the current members of this community. Who knows, maybe there will be 12 Cave games this time around, rather than 11?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

chempop wrote:I say we remove Batrider, maybe the price will go down a bit.
Hmm ... That's not a bad idea. Next time we have one of these, I'm voting straight Soldner-X.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.