Console versions of Strikers 1945 II differences?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kiel

Console versions of Strikers 1945 II differences?

Post by Kiel »

I was thinking about getting Psikyo Shooting collection #1 for Strikers 2 but I heard that its not that great of a port and that the Saturn version is really good.

So, whats the deal?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Actually, IIRC, the PS1 version of Strikers II (the Japanese one anyway, not sure about the domestic release) is supposed to have less slowdown than the Saturn one. In any case, I own the Saturn port, and regardless am having an unexpectedly good time with it, though perhaps part of that is due to the fact that I got it at a really good price.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

I got Strikers 1945 II for the PS2, the game plays great, just like the arcades.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

BulletMagnet wrote:Actually, IIRC, the PS1 version of Strikers II (the Japanese one anyway, not sure about the domestic release) is supposed to have less slowdown than the Saturn one. In any case, I own the Saturn port, and regardless am having an unexpectedly good time with it, though perhaps part of that is due to the fact that I got it at a really good price.
Actually I do own Strikers 2 for the Saturn but I dont have a Saturn and I cant remember who I borrowed it to. I also got it for a killer price. I won a whole lot (Strikers 2, Y's 4, dreamcast link cable, 4 issues of Neo Geo Freak, 4 issues of Gamest, and 2 dreamcast magazines) for $36.

I am just wonder if the PS2 version is worth getting.
Neon

Post by Neon »

psone>saturn>ps2 is the general consensus.

I prefer the saturn port of 2 because it has TATE and better sfx-to-music balance, and the slowdown instances are rare.
Berty

Post by Berty »

I really really dislike the PS2 port. For some reason the sprites used for large explosions don't match up; i.e you can see a noticable gap between the tiles. Plus for some reason the colours look like crap on the PS2 version even though i have my PS2 hooked up through RGB. Everything seems to have a real green look to it. I have tired other games and it is fine, it just seems to be this port.

I would go with either the PSone or Saturn version.
raiden

Post by raiden »

every jp. version has tate, only the US PS1 version hasn´t. Even the Pal versions have tate.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

The best port of Strikers 1945 II would be the PSX. The Saturn version is good and playable, but it does suffer from much slowdown. (moreso than GigaWing1)

The PSX and Saturn all feature Tate.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I haven't seen the PS2 version (would be nice if there was more commentary on it here), but the ps2 version of blade/ace has a raw look to it that is not quite so nice and smooth as the standard home ports I'm used to; however game play seems to be perfect without slowdown. My suspicion is that the PS2 port of Strikers is the same way, with a somewhat ugly presentation but probably arcade perfect play. I suspect if you don't own either of the Strikers games, this might be the way to go.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
sffan

Post by sffan »

I think I read that the PS2 version of Strikers 1 & 2 can't save high scores. Is this true? I'm not sure.
TVG

Post by TVG »

whatever you do, dont buy the pal version, its utter garbage, words arent enough to describe how much it sucks.

not only you cant save your scores, youll be lucky to see them at all.

once you loose all your lives, the shot button coults as start to continue, so if you shoot ONCE after dying, no score for you.
the only way to see them is to have superhuman reflexes and stop shooting AS YOU DIE, or knowing you're going to die.

the hitbox is bigger than the arcade too, and i mean much much bigger, wich is retarded.

the game of course is slow as fuck, since theres no 60hz.

the graphics looks like garbage, neutered colors, everything is too dark.

missing frames of animations.

dont mention big explosions, wich, when they do not look like pixellated pigeon's shit, glitches and appear as big squares.

this is only talking about strikers 1945 II part of the thing.

the first one, while a bit better, is for some reason so ridiculously easy its a joke.

i was toying with the last boss patterns while touching myself.

so if you really want to try it, borrow it from someone, steal it, download it, BUT DO NOT BUY IT
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

sorry there is no debate here the saturn version is superior, psx version is not as polished, the only thing its got going for it is the lack of slow down compared to the saturn version. To be fair tho its only at one place that its noticable in the sat ver on the level with all the ships.

must admit to not having played the ps2 version tho, but if its true about the lack of highscore saves then i'd avoid it - afterall whats the point in playing it if not for score!?!
raiden

Post by raiden »

sorry there is no debate here the saturn version is superior, psx version is not as polished, the only thing its got going for it is the lack of slow down compared to the saturn version.
do you want to play the game, or do you want to look at it? Btw. the Saturn version also has a larger hitzone than the PS1 version, but you can´t figure that out by just looking at it, of course.
To be fair tho its only at one place that its noticable in the sat ver on the level with all the ships.
that´s simply not true. The Saturn version is slower over long periods of time.
must admit to not having played the ps2 version tho, but if its true about the lack of highscore saves then i'd avoid it - afterall whats the point in playing it if not for score!?!
you never played in an arcade, did you? I mean, those cabs don´t save your scores, so what´s the point in playing them?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

The biggest gripe I have with my PSone PAL Strikers 1945 II is that the disc does always spin at maximum speed. It scares me, it's like if I play it for more than ten minutes, my playstation is gonna die. Has anyone noticed this too?

I mean, there are games like the first Tomb Raider or Raiden DX, that you barely hear them spin at certain points. And then there are games like Vagrant Story, that access to the disc at any time, and this isn't healthy for the system.

Strikers 1945 II is by far the most dangerous example of this. I haven't tried it on PS2 though.

P.S. here's a useful hint to save highscores: a pen and a piece of paper. And keep that piece of paper somewhere safe. :lol:
X - P - B
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

What do you mean, it doesn't save scores?
I own the originals for the Sega Saturn (Strikers 1945 I&II) and CDR copies for the PSX(import Japanese versions). All versions save settings and scores. All versions have Tate, everything else you could want.
Only difference between em, is that Strikers II suffers from noticable slowdown on the Saturn...although still playable.

The PS2 "collections"...I don't know anything about em, but from what I've heard, I'm not missing out on anything there.

If you want to play Strikers 1945 I&II, get the PCB. If you own a Saturn, then get those...in other words, get whatever you can.
All others are the same and fine. Although the best home port of StrikersII is on the PSX Japanese (NOT PS2 Collection)

Just realized now, that you guys are refering to the PS2 version collections about lack of "saves".
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Dont get/play the saturn version, it's bloody awful. The slow-down on the sea satge and 1-7 is SO bad it almost stops. Go with the PS1 version i would, or maybe the PS2 version whatevers cheaper now.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

I got the PS1 version. 8)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

good for you Kiel, cause it is awesome. i went through this same mess some time ago (couple months on the temps), and i have been very pleased with my decision. oh and not to start anything, mannerbot is still wrong... strikers vol II is better than vol I :P
I have no sig whatsoever.
Neon

Post by Neon »

do you want to play the game, or do you want to look at it? Btw. the Saturn version also has a larger hitzone than the PS1 version, but you can´t figure that out by just looking at it, of course.
Seriously? I didn't put much time into my psx copy (no tate :( ) but if that's true I'll have to import the psone one...
raiden

Post by raiden »

Seriously? I didn't put much time into my psx copy (no tate ) but if that's true I'll have to import the psone one...
seriously. They probably increased the hitzone in the Saturn version to balance out the slowdowns, which somehow worked, the difficulty is roughly comparable. Btw. it´s not like the PS1 version doesn´t have ANY slowdown, it´s just much less than the Saturn version. Btw2: the PCB is even more radical, faster bullets and smaller hitzone than the PS1 version, although the latter difference is minimal, while PS1 vs. Saturn is easily noticeable.

Both observations aren´t mine alone, haven´t read them here yet, but several people I know (longtime Strikers 1945 II players) noticed them independently, too. The only real advantages the Saturn version has are better sound (PS1 is muffled), explosion graphics and auto-saving highscores. The PS1 version requires you to save manually.

Graphically, both versions aren´t 100% arcade perfect, but come very close. Missing are things like the alpha-blended cloud layers, water animation quality at a boss or render-animation phases.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

Raiden:

playing in the arcade and playing on console is a different experience in terms of playing for score, but since making smart arsed comments is your game then i bow to your superior wit :roll:

i just think in terms of the most rounded gameplay experience i prefer the saturn ver. the psx just seems quickly cobbled together and a nastier experience. Admittedly i've only got the pal version. But for me no saving of highscores is a cardinal sin.