GMOSSE MK-V - Needs testers!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BPzeBanshee

GMOSSE MK-V - Needs testers!

Post by BPzeBanshee »

ImageImageImageImage

GMOSSE MK-V is out!
And I need your help testing it. :D

Download MK-V (15/8/11) here - http://www.mediafire.com/?ujp9nt48z1qu52s

You can find the development thread for GMOSSE here - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35075

I also uploaded a video for what MK-V looked like a couple of hours ago (as of time of writing) and that can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgAqHLlMvXY

For those who aren't familiar with this project, G.M.O.S.S.E stands for "Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine". It's purpose is to serve as a game template for those wanting to make shmups/shoot-em-ups/scrolling shooters/arcade games within Game Maker. It's also geared for performance - Game Maker has a bad stigma for having games where it's all about good graphics and low compatibility, and this template goes against that "norm" by being thoroughly tested to run fullspeed on a Pentium III legacy PC. The game is approaching its fifth official revision since it was given its namesake and I figure it's about time I make a bit more shameless plugs anyway.

I'll get straight to the point - one of the next things I want to tackle is getting some widespread testing done for it. I'm testing this around various places including my own school, and I want to find any immediate bugs and get them solved. That's why I'm posting this in Shmups Chat, that way all you nuts cna know about it and pull it to pieces. ;)

The other thing I want to eventually tackle is the scoring which I suspect may be a bit dodgy, so for this I've started a High Score thread which can be found here - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37926

Finally, if you'd like to support the project with banners or whatnot, I don't have any long banners but if you'd like to use the player ships for avatars or make a banner of your own here are some of them:
ImageImageImage

Please provide good feedback if you can, either in the comments, on YouTube or and posting at the development thread!
And if you just play GMOSSE for the game, enjoy!
Observer

Re: GMOSSE MK-V - Needs testers!

Post by Observer »

Well, well, I can confirm it works on my side. In fact, I'll test this and make it my bitch from now on to see if I can start coding from here and build a schmukmup. I can't for the life fathom to even start with the whole ground work needed to even start developing the slightest things... argh. Translation: I suck at coding.

I'll get my friend to test this too, she's been wanting to make a Touhou-like shmup with shiny graphics and colourful patterns.

Ah, you put homing missiles too. I think I'll study that function and tweak it until I can get the Macross/Panzer Dragoon locks for the win, heh. :mrgreen:
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

All hands on deck BP! Count me in :D
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Observer wrote:Well, well, I can confirm it works on my side. In fact, I'll test this and make it my bitch from now on to see if I can start coding from here and build a schmukmup. I can't for the life fathom to even start with the whole ground work needed to even start developing the slightest things... argh. Translation: I suck at coding.

I'll get my friend to test this too, she's been wanting to make a Touhou-like shmup with shiny graphics and colourful patterns.

Ah, you put homing missiles too. I think I'll study that function and tweak it until I can get the Macross/Panzer Dragoon locks for the win, heh. :mrgreen:
Great stuff!

The homing missiles are still a bit of a work in progress, there's like three versions of it in the code itself. I've still yet to figure out how to get them to properly "lock-on" as opposed to just checking every step but S20's version of them do just that using alarm timers and stuff (apparently his missiles causes step skipping but I've never actually seen that happen myself).

Current issues withstanding it seems the only real issue with MK-V is something odd with the highscore function. Sikraiken got something ridiculous scoring with Busterhawk, along with pointing out that the highscores apparently get submitted twice at times. Furthermore his screenshot shows 12 objects or something in the High Score board but there's only meant to be 7/8. Not sure where the problem is so if anyone can actually narrow down what the cause of that might be it'd be very much appreciated. :)

If there's anything you need in regards to this project just let me know. ;)