Which shoot 'em up game have the best soundtrack?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

zimeon wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:everyone who did NOT say Apidya obviously never played the game
You're really getting me interested. Format? Only arcade?
No, only Amiga. And the game is very worth playing, as not only the music's outstanding.

[shameless self-advertisement]

There's a review of the game at shmups.com.

[/shameless self-advertisement]
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I hope we do agree here that Apidya is not Hulsbeck's greatest work. If you like what you hear, definitely play Turrican II and Jim Power on Amiga. Jim Power Duo is another must for Hulsbeck's fans.

As much as I worship him, I do think Michiru Yamane and Miki Higashino do rank higher with their Twinbee and Gradius/Salamander works. Sakimoto's Radiant Silvergun is also a serious competitor.
X - P - B
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Turrican wrote:I hope we do agree here that Apidya is not Hulsbeck's greatest work.
We definitely agree here, but Apidya is certainly his best work on a shmup.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Herr Schatten wrote:We definitely agree here, but Apidya is certainly his best work on a shmup.
Yeah, it most certainly is. You know, I would have liked more Apidya music and less "random stuff" on that OST :lol:

Although I admit I do like "Crazy Lover" quite a bit :D
X - P - B
elbarto

Post by elbarto »

Turrican wrote:You know, I would have liked more Apidya music and less "random stuff" on that OST :lol:
You and me both, heh.
Was there a Turrican II OST CD?
"I LIKE SHOTS BULLITS AT BAD MAN"
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

elbarto wrote:
Turrican wrote:You know, I would have liked more Apidya music and less "random stuff" on that OST :lol:
You and me both, heh.
Was there a Turrican II OST CD?
Grr... :evil: No, there isn't a single "proper" OST for Hulsbeck games. There's the Turrican Soundtrack CD, but it's remixes. I do love some of the remixes, but the original game soundtrack is just superior in any way.
X - P - B
zimeon

Post by zimeon »

blip wrote:The music of Apidya.
Thanks for the link.
Great music, but as far as I am personally concerned, I stand uncorrected. I love Hüelsbeck's music (anyone who knows me knows that) but Zun's music is just a bit more catchy.

These are not his best, but is at least available on the net:
http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/mp3/th1_04.mp3
http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/mp3/th3_05.mp3
Enthusiasm without skill
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, Tyrian and the high-but-not-the-highest-score music from Thunderforce V :lol:
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
DarkWolf7

Post by DarkWolf7 »

zimeon wrote:Thanks for the link.
Great music, but as far as I am personally concerned, I stand uncorrected. I love Hüelsbeck's music (anyone who knows me knows that) but Zun's music is just a bit more catchy.

These are not his best, but is at least available on the net:
http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/mp3/th1_04.mp3
http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/data/mp3/th3_05.mp3
For the PC-98 Touhou games, it is fairly easy to rip the music straight from them. The music is in PMD format, which there exist a variety of players, and is stored in a .DAT file in each game. I have archived of all the 86 board PMD music -> http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~fehlaude/[P ... n_(86).rar They all make use of the YM2608 rhythm set ( http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~fehlaude/YM ... hm_Set.rar )

For a player, I recommend MDXWin ( http://home.att.ne.jp/blue/moonlight/do ... tml#mdxwin )
King Slime

Post by King Slime »

Einhander
G-Darius
Super R-Type
Gradius5
R-Type Final
Life Force
R-Type Delta
R-Type(Boss theme)

Not in any specific order.
"If capcom must crank a new game every 3 months, it's your duty to keep on top of the new developments in your fanfic script, no matter how not fun it is."
-The silly wisdom of DJ Incompetent
kemical

Post by kemical »

NebulasRay !! the first level's music is awesome + the dialog.. really crazy back when I first played it. 'exeo' is the song name i think.
*edit* found a link to a midi version of the song that somone made, not as good as the real thing though :) http://www.gmgiga.com/mididata/oldmidi/ ... l01xgz.lzh

ranger-x on genesis, although most genesis music is great due to the FM synth and stuff, well only japanese-composed music is great on genesis :D ..thunderforce etc..

the ibm-pc shooter 'Overkill' by epic megagames, had really good music from what I remember. Actually it probably relates to more of the demoscene musicians and stuff since other games by epic featured tracked/mod music.

raiden 2 / dx / etc

there are a couple pce/tg16 games with great music, i think it might have been Soldier Blade, maybe lords of thunder too, I'm not sure.. plenty of others but I just can;t think of them.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I will put in a plug for Platypus :D though I'm only up to Area 2 so far...
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I'm gonna say Einhander because it is the only game I have ever played that made me consider buying the sound track. Other than that, Psyvariar 2 is great and Darius Gaiden and Life Force have some really memorable songs. I've been playing music over my video game soundtracks lately, wishing that more games would include the ability to turn the soundtrack off and keep the sound effects loud. Favorite combination right now is Ikaruga+Venetian Snares 'Winter in the Belly of a Snake'.

EDIT: Clips of this Venetian Snares record can be found at this addy, if you've never heard them. http://www.planet-mu.com/ziq066.html
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Blast Wind (especially the songs for stages 3-5 and their bosses)
Thunder Force IV
G-Darius ("Adam": best final boss theme of all time. I know some of you, like Jp, will weigh in for Blast Wind's "The Justice Ray", but I still favor "Adam"'s vibrance)
Tatsujin-Ou
Zero Wing (Genesis version)
Raiden II
Raiden D/X (PSX version)
Strikers 1945 II
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

Skyknight wrote: G-Darius ("Adam": best final boss theme of all time. I know some of you, like Jp, will weigh in for Blast Wind's "The Justice Ray", but I still favor "Adam"'s vibrance)
I love Adam too! Too bad they used the music during the Attract mode, By the time you get to the final boss, It seems almost anticlimatic...

Still my second favorite from G-darius(Favorite being Kimera II)
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Ah, hi there again. It's ol' Fenrirkun (I had no time to read the forums so I was a bit out
until today...I had some free (in cash) time in the net to post).
Well...Pulstar had a nice soundtrack...and I have nice memories of the first Mahou
Daisakusen...specially the ruins stage. Games by ZUN (Perfect cherry blossom, etc) have
nice musics too, and I liked some Cotton tunes (I don't remember which ones now). Esp.Ra.De
had some good musics too, I loved the boss theme.and the ending. There are many more,
but those are the first ones to come to my mind...Oh, Thunderforce V was quite good too!
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'm putting a bid for these:

Arrow Flash (who doesn't like Sega-type music?)
Zero Wing (of All your Base Fame, but the Legrous stage is good music)

And does Zone of Enders count as a Shmup???
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Hi, folks. Always a good thread.

I agree with most of the above games mentioned, so I'll include my favourites from the less-mentioned, commonly overlooked games:

Recca (Famicom): driving rave music out of the NES!
Gyruss (FDS): the best version.
Falsion (FDS): great Konami tunes!
Red Alarm (VB): a borderline shmup, but nice techno from a weak sound chip.
NEXZR (Duo): the first stage music (among others) is really driving and catchy!
Shubibin Man 3 (Duo): yes, it's a platformer, but it has a shooting stage, and some of THE BEST music on CD.
Terraforming (Duo): I didn't expect it, but this game has some really nice synthy-rock music!
Elemental Master (MD): isn't this considered a shooter? Great music.
Steel Empire (MD): the first stage's music stuck in my mind for years.
ASO II / Alpha Mission II (Neo-Geo): GREAT, driving FM music.
Magical Chase (PCE): cute but wonderful arpeggiated songs.
Kyukyoku Tiger & Tatsujin (PCE): they're arcade games, but I think the PCE versions sound best.
Silpheed (MD-CD)

That's all I can think of for now...
Blade

Post by Blade »

zimeon wrote:Great music, but as far as I am personally concerned, I stand uncorrected. I love Hüelsbeck's music (anyone who knows me knows that) but Zun's music is just a bit more catchy.
I'd like to know a little more about this Zun game, I've never played it, the music is great!
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I can think of 50+ shmups I enjoy the music in - to save us all time I'll just post 10 of the most important

Thunderforce V
Ray Crisis
Whip Rush
Psyvariar
Blast Wind
Axelay
Xenon II: Megablast
Thunderforce II
G-Darius
Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus
Last edited by Thunder Force on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
k2

Post by k2 »

It's got to be Battle Garegga in arrange mode.

k2
Ord

Post by Ord »

1. Guwange
2. Esprade
3. Batsugun
4. Espgaluda(arrange)
5. Shikigami No Shiro II
6. Ikaruga
7. Ketsui
8. Gradius V
9. Psyvariar 2

That is all.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

All of the Raizing games

R-Type Delta

Ikagura (very epic)

Gradius V (when I am in that generic techno mood)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I agree that Apidya is not Huelsbeck best work - This indeed goes for Turrican 2 (Hell, Turrican 2 has the BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER, nothing can compete with it), and both Jim Power and Turrican 3 also has a better soundtrack.

Still, being the "4th best soundtrack by Huelsbeck" still makes it the best soundtrack ever in any shmup.

I like some of Zuntata work (Mainly in Raystorm, I love the music of Raystorm), but IMO it's not good as Huelsbeck work.

And Apidya is a fine game. It's my fav horizontal shmup ever together with Space Manbow and Gradius Gaiden. It's only available on Amiga, and everone should check it out
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Shatterhand wrote:I agree that Apidya is not Huelsbeck best work - This indeed goes for Turrican 2 (Hell, Turrican 2 has the BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER, nothing can compete with it), and both Jim Power and Turrican 3 also has a better soundtrack.

Still, being the "4th best soundtrack by Huelsbeck" still makes it the best soundtrack ever in any shmup.

I like some of Zuntata work (Mainly in Raystorm, I love the music of Raystorm), but IMO it's not good as Huelsbeck work.

And Apidya is a fine game. It's my fav horizontal shmup ever together with Space Manbow and Gradius Gaiden. It's only available on Amiga, and everone should check it out
That's exactly the reason why I'm reluctant to give Apidya first prize for shmups category: It basically would mean that Hulsbeck wins all, even when he doesn't surpass himself.

And, another thing with Apidya's music is that really just a bunch of tracks are awesome. The intro is nothing special, the first two stages are excellent, and the credits theme is truly one of Hulsbeck's best.

I have no problems with the game, however. Truly a gem, and the best shmup on Amiga by far.
Shatterhand wrote:(Hell, Turrican 2 has the BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER, nothing can compete with it)
So true.
X - P - B
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Turrican wrote: It basically would mean that Hulsbeck wins all, even when he doesn't surpass himself.
Well... I think that's the point really. I try not to be a "Huelsbeck fanboy", but thing is, he made some of the most memorable gaming soundtracks ever. I can't remember any soundtrack made by him which is not at least excellent.

What's funny is that I had lots of his games as my "fav soundtracks" , but didn't know they were all made by the same guy (I only aknowlodged his name after I met Internet :D)
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

For me it's a tie betweenh Radiant Silvergun and Soukyugurentai.

Radiant's music is as epic as the game itself and would make a fine soundtrack for a sci fi/anime movie. Imagine it done in a full orchestra!

Souky has excellent moody tracks that sound futuristic without being too techno. I especially love the soundtrack for stage 2 (the booming dramatic music as you gradually descend down through the clouds) and stage 4 (the gritty asian sounding techno beats as you fly over the harbor/ocean dodging ships and little gray mechs, too sweet)
aurang

Post by aurang »

Sky Shark (personal fav)

Honorable Mentions in no order
Area 88
Task Force Harrier
Gradius (pretty much any)
Twin Cobra
Turrican (any)
Macross Scramble Valkyrie
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Soukyugurentai
Carrier Air Wing
In space, no one can sink your battleship!
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Okay, here we go again...

Dangun Feveron 8)

The composer/composers broke the traditional "okay, we either need some good crotch-rock tunes or some euro-techno trance tunes" attitude.
The songs on this OST sound so much more disco than the disco tunes of the 70's do themselves. (did that make sense?) :?
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

1. MUSHA
2. Thunderforce 4
3. Thunderforce 3
4. Forgotten Worlds
5. Elemental Master
6. Darius 2
7. Gakujo Parodius
8. Rayforce/Layer Section
9. Armed Police Batrider
10. Gradius V