ProM's "DDP PSX and Saturn ports are garbage" rant !

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PROMETHEUS

Re: ProM's "DDP PSX and Saturn ports are garbage" rant !

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Deca wrote:I'm very curious about how mame can be optimized, what do I need to do to get it set up well?
If you want there's a quick guide to that in a paragraph of my Full Extent of the Jam guide (link in sig). It's a quick setup and unless your computer is slow (you don't need an expensive computer but need to make sure it's not full of hidden running programs that slow it down for instance) or your display isn't the best (I use only CRT screens), then you might get some sort of input or framerate lag, but on both my desktop computers games run perfectly. There may be ways to further optimize things such as picture quality (?) but I don't care much for that myself, game looks and sounds very good already and for STGs I only really care about performing.
captpain wrote:
ancestral-knowledge wrote:I have one question for you Prometheus:

Let's assume CAVE would release Dodonpachi for the XBOX360 tomorrow and it's an arcade perfect port of the game like let's say Futari. It would have an XBOX mode with better graphics, an arrange mode and an arcade mode plus a replay/training option and tons of the neat stuff we are used to today. Would you buy one copy?

everyone would
Well for me such a version wouldn't be too interesting since :
1) I prefer playing on my computer where it's easy to put my own music on.
2) Can't play with keyboard on XBOX360.
3) Level select sucks in comparison to save states.

So I would probably buy it if I had an XBOX just to support Cave, but I would probably not play it at all (I personnally don't care much about arrange modes). That's what I did with Futari, bought the port to support them and then played a little bit on my roommate's XBOX and quickly stopped because the absence of those 3 points damaged the fun and seriously slowed my progress.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's pretty easy to put your own music on on an X360 too :)
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

isn't that only vista or 7?
captpain

Post by captpain »

Bananamatic wrote:isn't that only vista or 7?
it's 2011
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

XP is master race
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Sumez wrote:I said, I don't want to discuss it. If you guys can't respect that I want to respect the law and play my games legit, fine with me, but the fact that you're trying to convince me that I'm totally off track with that approach is just bizarre.
I agree that there's no black and white, but once you start exploiting grayzones there's no telling where one ends and the next begins, get my point?
And I didn't frown upon anyone here for pirating the games, in fact people frowned upon me for preferring to play the games legit. Like I said, that's bizarre to me.

PROMETHEUS wrote:What makes you think that it's more ok for companies to milk people's wallets with absurdities like this, than it is to play emulated versions of their games after having bought one legal copy ?
I've been known to buy games legally so I can play them emulated, that stuff is fine with me, but this is the last time I admitted to that, cause what I do in said gray zone is my own business.
Sorry but I couldn't resist the urge to make one more point with regards to emulation and piracy. It is all a grey area. If you were to buy a PCB of Dodonpachi, when you boot it up for the first time, the very first screen states "THIS GAME MAY NOT BE SOLD, EXPORTED OR OPERATED WITHOUT PROOF OF LEGAL CONSENT BY ATLUS CO., LTD."

If you want to respect the law, then you cannot legally play the arcade version of Dodonpachi in any way, shape, or form unless you fly to Japan and play in an arcade. It seems kind of silly, but that is what they claim.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Huh, that is a pretty good point jepjepjep.

The ports usually say this too, but I think thats more for the authentic feel than anything else.

I definitely do not see pcbs as something that was created for home use. However, getting the chance to play some pcbs on some candy cabs at Dave K's, its definitely a superb way to play these games.

Since I have MAME temporarily on the pc for STGT11, I'll probably snag a DDP rom and compare it to the Saturn port. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that, since I bought the game.

I am thinking that I suck enough at the game that I probably won't notice too much of a difference, aside maybe the speed the game is moving at.

Personally, I prefer DOJ anyways
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

jepjepjep wrote: If you want to respect the law, then you cannot legally play the arcade version of Dodonpachi in any way, shape, or form unless you fly to Japan and play in an arcade. It seems kind of silly, but that is what they claim.
Like I said, you have to put down your own borders for what you consider legit, in order to avoid getting lost in grey zones, and I follow these two:
1. I stay on the right side of the law
2. I buy original, legit versions of the games (this is generally a given via point 1, but not always)

What you do, is your own sake.

As for the text about where I play the game, that is NOT a law. It was the company's original wish at the time the game was produced, but they can't actually legally dictate that. Same thing with the deal about selling promo copies.
If I were to follow only the developers' wishes, I wouldn't buy second hand games, ever. My "rules" are based on my ideals as a game collector.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

How can you be prosecutedt to the full extend of jam if there is no such jam

cave you so silly
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Bananamatic wrote:How can you be prosecutedt to the full extend of jam if there is no such jam

cave you so silly
:D

Cave is pretty silly. The leave the "Warning use in Japan only" screens in their 360 ports and then they release them region free for us Westerners.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

jepjepjep wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:How can you be prosecutedt to the full extend of jam if there is no such jam

cave you so silly
:D

Cave is pretty silly. The leave the "Warning use in Japan only" screens in their 360 ports and then they release them region free for us Westerners.
I'd assume thats just to give it an authentic arcade feel. I like it there.

But yeah, might confuse people
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Code: Select all

WARNING

THIS GAME IS ONLY FOR USE IN AUTHORIZED
BLAH BLAH, NOBODY READS THIS CRAP ANYWAY.
IN FACT, THIS MESSAGE IS ENTIRELY POINTLESS
AND A CLUMSY ATTEMPT AT EVOKING SOME LAME
NOSTALGIA OF SEEING COPYRIGHT WARNING SCREENS
IN VARIOUS ARCADE GAMES.  SINCE THIS GAME
IS A PORT, IT DOESN'T EVEN FUCKING MATTER.

ALTHOUGH, IF YOU TRY TO PUT YOUR 360 IN AN
ARCADE CABINET AND SELL IT ON eBay FOR
$5000, I WILL BE VERY UPSET.

THAT'S JUST TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT!

12/03/08 MASTER VER.
captpain

Post by captpain »

nnno... m... my comfort....
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Those silly warnings only apply to public use, and operating the game for money. They are kept on the ports for that reason.

Nearly all of them have some clause that state it's okay of the comany says it is, regardless of all other circumstances.

Buying your own import PCB for private use is 100% legal. You just can't legally operate it for money. You are supposed to get the version for your country. Not that that EVER stops anyone, as I routinely saw warnings like that mentioning japan while in US arcades.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

zaphod wrote:Those silly warnings only apply to public use, and operating the game for money. They are kept on the ports for that reason.

Nearly all of them have some clause that state it's okay of the comany says it is, regardless of all other circumstances.

Buying your own import PCB for private use is 100% legal. You just can't legally operate it for money. You are supposed to get the version for your country. Not that that EVER stops anyone, as I routinely saw warnings like that mentioning japan while in US arcades.
Especially if their isnt a us version of a game..
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

AntiFritz wrote:
zaphod wrote:Those silly warnings only apply to public use, and operating the game for money. They are kept on the ports for that reason.

True is the above statement. Some USA based arcades do charge to play for instance if they have a PCB of DDP-DFK ver. 1.5 in and there's only the JPN region version, at best, to play with. It'd sure be nice if Cave allowed an option to select either Japanese or English language in their Operator's Menu screen prompts on their SH-3 powered shmup PCB titles -- wouldn't be that hard to implement during the development stage for a new arcade shmup PCB release. How about it, Cave?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
AntiFritz wrote:

True is the above statement. Some USA based arcades do charge to play for instance if they have a PCB of DDP-DFK ver. 1.5 in and there's only the JPN region version, at best, to play with. It'd sure be nice if Cave allowed an option to select either Japanese or English language in their Operator's Menu screen prompts on their SH-3 powered shmup PCB titles -- wouldn't be that hard to implement during the development stage for a new arcade shmup PCB release. How about it, Cave?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Yeah, i know for a fact some japanese only releases like blazblue continuum shift have the entire game available in english (selectable from the service menu).
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

I like PSX DDP. Nice option for noobs is L1 button - slow down the entire game. Nice for bosses.

ePSXe + Pete's audio/video plugins + CDR Mooby2 plugin. Great emu combo!

btw...

Music: PSX port have better music quality.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

I was curious about DDP ports as the pcb was so expensive and often had bad sound.
Tried PSX and saturn versions.....then bought the pcb and never looked back.