More to GunHed than just a shmup?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SFKhoa

More to GunHed than just a shmup?

Post by SFKhoa »

I saw some kind of movie for GunHed, but I have no idea what the movie itself has to do with the shmup (even though the title LOOKS the same).

Anyone here know?
system11

Post by system11 »

Strange low budget Japanese (I think) sci-fi film. It's actually quite watchable but I'm not aware of any relation to the game aside from name. It's possible they are both inspired by the same thing.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There's also a Famicom Gunhed game that has nothing to do with the TG-16/PC Engine game. It seems to be a strategy game of sorts, telling from screenshots.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Gunhed is a PCE licensed shmup tie-in for the Japanese movie of the same name. But the game is nothing like the movie, they seem to have just slapped the name on it.

Much the same situation as when the license for Van Damme's movie "Universal Soldier" was bought by some Genesis publisher in the early 90s and instead of making a game around it, they just published a version of Turrican 2 (!) with slightly re-edited sprites and artwork and changed the title screen to read Universal Soldier.

Incidentally if you've ever seen Frontline Assembly's music video "Mindphaser" (classic video in the underground music scene), you'll notice all of that footage is highlights from the Gunhed movie.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thunder Force wrote:Gunhed is a PCE licensed shmup tie-in for the Japanese movie of the same name. But the game is nothing like the movie, they seem to have just slapped the name on it.

Much the same situation as when the license for Van Damme's movie "Universal Soldier" was bought by some Genesis publisher in the early 90s and instead of making a game around it, they just published a version of Turrican 2 (!) with slightly re-edited sprites and artwork and changed the title screen to read Universal Soldier.

Incidentally if you've ever seen Frontline Assembly's music video "Mindphaser" (classic video in the underground music scene), you'll notice all of that footage is highlights from the Gunhed movie.
Actually, that Universal Soldier game was also made for other systems, not just Genesis. There is a game boy version of it too (I really hate how the game boy versions of a game get left out of a conversation. Many GB versions of games are very sweet, though this isn't one of those games). A SNES version was planned, but cancelled. The publisher was a devision of THQ, a company known for publishing crappy games.
Last edited by BrianC on Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Hey, THQ published G.Darius... ._____________.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

iatneH wrote:Hey, THQ published G.Darius... ._____________.
True, not all of THQ's games are crappy. They published some good Micro Machines games for GBC too. I like WWE No Mercy too. I was just talking in General with their crappy lincensed games and stuff like that. They also published some pretty good SEGA games on GBA.

In fact, I really want to get G. Darius. I almost got it, but the store I tried to get it from only had the case on display. The people who work at the store forgot to get rid of the case when someone bought the game.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

BrianC wrote:I really hate how the game boy versions of a game get left out of a conversation.
I did not know there was a Gameboy version.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I really hate how the game boy versions of a game get left out of a conversation
it might be due to the fact that quite a few people don´t play handhelds at all.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I have a GunHed comic, I don't remember what its about, but it does have a tank on the cover.
dbd

Post by dbd »

Gunhead, the live action movie, got a Manga video UK release back about 10 year ago when Manga started up.

I still haven't seen it,

the PCE game is fantastic, and highly recommended. Fast, many power ups that do different things, great blaster.