Shmups irc

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
The n00b

Shmups irc

Post by The n00b »

So which irc server does everyone connect to? I keep ending up in TNL's shmups chat and they insist that room is not the room for www.shmups.com people btw. Please dumb it down for me so I don't end up in some bizarro shmups room.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

from the www.shmups.com front page:
Shmups IRC Chat: Efnet server, channel #shmups
Neon

Post by Neon »

I don't think they want us shmups dot commies in there. From my understanding clickstick forums and shmups IRC are for people who don't want the stupid stuff that goes on here.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Neon wrote:I don't think they want us shmups dot commies in there. From my understanding clickstick forums and shmups IRC are for people who don't want the stupid stuff that goes on here.
If you join and speak about shmups, you will be appreciated and we can discuss for hours. If you join and only write random rants and off-topic stuff, you will pass unobserved...i doubt a good half of the people idling on the channel even knows what a shmup is. This is not meant to be a trolling rant, it's just that sometimes it sounds like we ( #shmups usuals) spend time only speaking about ultrahardcore stuff...i mean, it's IRC, hence the off-topicness is the norm :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Well, I use the #shmups in Efnet for some time. I don't stay there for too long usually, but when I'm there, and there's conversation about anything, I've always been treated well, even when I ask questions about stuff I've never heard about, people usually are kind enough to answer. And conversations there are usually nice

So... I personall recommend the #shmups channel in Efnet, if you are interested on it.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

MOD EDIT: message removed for inappropriate flaming content... -TF
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

I remember seeing you there Shatterhand. So I guess that really was the shmups chat.... There was alamone and a couple other cool people there but there were a lot of idiots too. One dude just hated Ikaruga because "it was from Treasure." Really most of them just kept going off on each other for the indycred of a shmup rather than actually discussing anything of real importance.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

OmegaFlareX wrote:<snip>
We aren't elitist. I can't speak for everyone, but some of us just don't like relating ourselves to -some- of the crowd here.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I used to cruise over there a LONG time ago.
It was always hard for me to connect. Also, at that time it was mostly the "old shmups.com crowd", and there were no bad/hard feelings of any kind.

Personally, I moved on, and never held any grudges...but I cannot speak for certain others. The shmups community IS devided.

MOD EDIT: no "board wars" here. edited message to remove disparaging remarks toward another shmup community forum... -TF
system11

Post by system11 »

It's a mostly friendly channel as it happens.

There are two points:

1) People who like shmups, and generally aren't childish/loud/irritating are accepted easily, even if they came with a rucksack full of newbie questions.

2) Fools are not suffered gladly.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Cool, maybe I'll drop by sometime, although lately my internet has been messed up and I can't stay connected to IRC for more than a few minutes before my connection gets reset..
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:I used to cruise over there a LONG time ago.
It was always hard for me to connect. Also, at that time it was mostly the "old shmups.com crowd", and there were no bad/hard feelings of any kind.

Personally, I moved on, and never held any grudges...but I cannot speak for certain others. The shmups community IS devided.

MOD EDIT: no "board wars" here. edited message to remove disparaging remarks toward another shmup community forum... -TF

Great, now everyone will think I was simply talking shit and was silenced for it. There were no "flames" or "board war" type material in my previous post...

Personally, I should just delete this whole post now, as its makes no sense, but I don't feel like.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:MOD EDIT: no "board wars" here. edited message to remove disparaging remarks toward another shmup community forum... -TF
Great, now everyone will think I was simply talking shit and was silenced for it. There were no "flames" or "board war" type material in my previous post...

Personally, I should just delete this whole post now, as its makes no sense, but I don't feel like.
OK, sorry if the moderation comments this time seemed to be too harsh compared to your post's tone. However being scathing (and what you said was fairly scathing) about people on another shmup board who you probably know are reading your post is divisive and is practically "calling out" people to defend themselves, and mud slinging can only end with everyone getting dirty. I don't see topics on that board dissing Shmups Forum, so I'm returning the favor by deleting such topics in kind here. What people say in private (or semi-private like IRC) is 100% up to them (and we've been gradually addressing some of those people's original complaints anyway). Whether you intend your public posts as a friendly jibe or not keep in mind it's hard to read tone from text only. Further replies on this, please PM me or anyone in the mod/admin team for clarification.

Best regards,

TF
system11

Post by system11 »

Heaven forbid people should say things that might upset other people.

Got news for you guys - that's life, unless you want to turn the board into something it never ever was - a nanny state type deal where we all frolick in the dreamy meadows with Barney hugging trees and comparing spine cards, except for those evil evil people who just speak their mind without even using bad language.

And you'd run the very real risk of splintering it too.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Thunder Force wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:MOD EDIT: no "board wars" here. edited message to remove disparaging remarks toward another shmup community forum... -TF

OK, sorry if the moderation comments this time seemed to be too harsh compared to your post's tone. However being scathing (and what you said was fairly scathing) about people on another shmup board who you probably know are reading your post is divisive and is practically "calling out" people to defend themselves, and mud slinging can only end with everyone getting dirty. I don't see topics on that board dissing Shmups Forum, so I'm returning the favor by deleting such topics in kind here. What people say in private (or semi-private like IRC) is 100% up to them (and we've been gradually addressing some of those people's original complaints anyway). Whether you intend your public posts as a friendly jibe or not keep in mind it's hard to read tone from text only. Further replies on this, please PM me or anyone in the mod/admin team for clarification.

Best regards,

TF
Scathing? Seriously, I wasen't "scathing" anyone. What I basically said was that some people have their own small "group", and they like to keep it that way. Thats not flaming/scathing/trolling,whatever, its the simple truth.

Don't take this reply as I'm pissed, or anything. I just don't want to see things get, all "stupid again" for the wrong reasons. This isn't a good reason.
Nor is it really of any importance.