Jamestown Lives!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TrevHead (TVR)

Re: Jamestown Lives!

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

(i know this doesnt really belong in this thread but what the heck)

That reminds me I forgot to mention that I played XOP ultra for the first time a couple of days ago, I much prefer it to Black that I played awhile back, Apart from all the cool weapons in XOP it seemed more colourful to me than Black from what I remember. Thanks for making such a cool game Udderdude
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Did someone already note that the game has been selected as one of the highlighted indie games at the next PAX Prime? Either way, congrats to the developers! :)
louisg

Post by louisg »

Udderdude wrote:
StarCreator wrote:
Udderdude wrote:It was overpriced at $10. $5 sounds about right, really.
I think it's pretty callous to call something that three people worked on for over two years full-time without pay overpriced.
Oh, poor babies. Let me throw a big pity party for the devs who decided to scrap most of the work they had done on it and start again from scratch.

And if they were that worried about funding, they could have put something on kickstarter.
How's it a pity party? This is a game with real art and music in it that takes a lot of time to develop, not "Bob's Shmup" with graphics made in MS Paint or something. I think $10 is a pretty cheap asking price for that, also considering that the gameplay is reasonably tight and the concept is pretty original.

But I realize a lot of people will be adverse to buying any downloadable game for over $4 when that's the average price for an iPhone game. Gone are the days that you could sell a decent shareware game for $30, I suppose, unless it's carefully targeted for a niche audience ala Fast Striker.
Humans, think about what you have done
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Thought it was well worth either price. I only noticed it cause it was on sale honestly :oops: However, it'd easily be worth the $10 IMO. It's better than some of the doujin stuff I've played that costs $20-30....
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Some of the best stuff I've ever touched has been bought for under $20. Castlevania HD is a good example, which I've easily played for over 150 hours. I'm likely to do the same for the PS3 version, eventually.

Bomberman Live and Ultra are also the same. Castle Crashers is another. Take a basic game and add leaderboards or online co-op or pvp and the replay value becomes endless. You have literally thousands of people playing Touhou stuff, which are what, all under 2000 yen? I think Jamestown was well worth $10.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

What I meant is that it was overpriced compared to other indie games on Steam. Also, as soon as it was $5, it hit the top of the sales charts. So there. :P

Also the game could have easily been done in a year (or less) if they had a better plan.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

Udderdude wrote:What I meant is that it was overpriced compared to other indie games on Steam.
Like what? These are probably the most highly rated indie games on Steam and if you ignore their current sale prices, very few go for less than $10;

>$10 - Frozen Synapse, Super Meat Boy, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, SpaceChem, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Aquaria, Revenge of the Titans, Trine, AI War: Fleet Command, Zeno Clash, Monday Night Combat

$10 - World of Goo, Braid, Audiosurf, Machinarium, Terraria, Shatter. DEFCON, Darwinia, Mr. Robot, Critical Mass, AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard For Gravity, Defense Grid: The Awakening, Osmos, Gish, Capsized, Altitude, Trials 2: Second Edition, Space Giraffe

<$10 - Time Gentlemen, Please!, Toki Tori, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, VVVVVV
You cannot stop me with Paramecium alone!
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

ITT Udderdude thinks that being a successful gamemaker gives him a right to be an asshole.

Sorry man, I generally like your posts but that's just not cool. Final Form have spent a good deal of their time on programming and art design, and no matter your personal opinions on the final product it's not OK to denigrate their work.
ncp

Post by ncp »

I actually don't think Udderdude is out of line with his comments even though I disagree with them, but...
RNGmaster wrote:...Udderdude...successful gamemaker...
dohoho

edit: that was actually pretty mean, sorry udderdude rofl
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

RNGmaster wrote:ITT Udderdude thinks that being a successful gamemaker gives him a right to be an asshole.

Sorry man, I generally like your posts but that's just not cool. Final Form have spent a good deal of their time on programming and art design, and no matter your personal opinions on the final product it's not OK to denigrate their work.
Agree with this. If I remember rightly, Udderdude was making disparaging comments about Jamestown months before anyone even played it: "I'm not sure these guys know what they're doing" was one comment. So I was always expecting him to come up with a list of reasons to dislike it.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Those comments were about the 4 player mode being worth playing for score.

Which I don't think anyone here has even tried since it was released, so .. whatever.

And if anyone's looking for disparaging comments towards myself and good towards Final Form, if anything, Jamestown is a better game than XOP and XOP Black originally were :P

If they learn from this project, which I hope they do, they can make something even better.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Udderdude wrote: And if anyone's looking for disparaging comments towards myself and good towards Final Form, if anything, Jamestown is a better game than XOP and XOP Black originally were :P
If they learn from this project, which I hope they do, they can make something even better.
I don't think anyone was looking for disparaging comments towards you, just some helpful input from someone who clearly knows what they're talking about.
And there it is... so thank you :D
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The actually helpful info was back here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p698675

As for other doujin shmups I'd reccomend ..

BWR+, XF-R, Crimzon Clover, War on Bugs, Patriot Dark, Kamui are all good. I'm sure there's plenty more I could reccomend.
louisg

Post by louisg »

DocHauser wrote:
RNGmaster wrote:ITT Udderdude thinks that being a successful gamemaker gives him a right to be an asshole.

Agree with this. If I remember rightly, Udderdude was making disparaging comments about Jamestown months before anyone even played it: "I'm not sure these guys know what they're doing" was one comment. So I was always expecting him to come up with a list of reasons to dislike it.
I think being skeptical of the project before it was out is fair, just given the long string of independently developed shooters which are, frankly, terrible. It turned out really well though imo, and I hope they can continue to make new games.
Humans, think about what you have done
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I don't know shit about STEAM. I downloaded jamestown a few weeks ago and just started it up to see if it ran. Tonight I sat down ready to play it and I can't. I try to start the game and it makes me login to Steam. Why the fuck do I have to do this to play a game that's on my fucking hard drive?

So I log into Steam and it says that "this game is not available at the moment. Please try again later?"

WTF!
The whole fucking CAVE catalog could come out on Steam tomorrow and I wouldn't buy it if this is the type of shit that I have to go through. Fuck I'm pissed.

Can anybody help me out here?
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Ive never had that problem myself, its been a couple of weeks since ive played the game so it might have been recently patched. Do other steam games work? Also verify the games cache (In the Libary page, r-click on Jamestown and select properties) Also try reinstalling the game or steam. If you havnt posted on the JT steam forum page ild do so as you will be better help there.
I try to start the game and it makes me login to Steam. Why the fuck do I have to do this to play a game that's on my fucking hard drive?
I know your pissed over the game not working but the login system is there to stop somebody stealing your account, given all the hacking thats going on atm its a feature I personally welcome.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Ive never had that problem myself, its been a couple of weeks since ive played the game so it might have been recently patched. Do other steam games work? Also verify the games cache (In the Libary page, r-click on Jamestown and select properties) Also try reinstalling the game or steam. If you havnt posted on the JT steam forum page ild do so as you will be better help there.
I try to start the game and it makes me login to Steam. Why the fuck do I have to do this to play a game that's on my fucking hard drive?
I know your pissed over the game not working but the login system is there to stop somebody stealing your account, given all the hacking thats going on atm its a feature I personally welcome.
I already downloaded the game. That should be the end of story. But whatever.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it worked fine. but this message "this game is currently unavailable, please try again later" sent me through the roof. I HATE digital distribution.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I can't say I've ever had that problem, but I'm signed in to Steam 24/7.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

StarCreator wrote:I can't say I've ever had that problem, but I'm signed in to Steam 24/7.
Same here although I dont let windows save my login password, I feel more secure keeping my important PWs in a book and doing it all by had.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Digital distribution is coming. Gonna have to learn to accept it. I don't love it either, but at least Steam means that the old stuff I buy runs on my current OS once I get it. My old DOS versions sure don't. At least not easily.

As for the Steam login thing, apparently once you've done an initial login through Steam, you can set any game in your Steam library to run while disconnected. Security measure I'd imagine. I've never bothered, as it defaults to running Steam and it isn't a big deal for me, but I'm told it can be done if you prefer it that way.
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
T-hawk

Post by T-hawk »

Well I finished doing full combo runs on all the stages on the hardest difficulty, so here's something a bit different. Double Play video of stage 1, with me controlling both ships on Legendary (medium) difficulty. One ship holds a chain combo all the way through. #1 ranked score for a two-player team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewpl4zCZT28
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Some nice 2 player strategy going on there. Yay teamwork! :P

Do the bosses have a time limit?
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I don't know shit about STEAM. I downloaded jamestown a few weeks ago and just started it up to see if it ran. Tonight I sat down ready to play it and I can't. I try to start the game and it makes me login to Steam. Why the fuck do I have to do this to play a game that's on my fucking hard drive?

So I log into Steam and it says that "this game is not available at the moment. Please try again later?"

WTF!
The whole fucking CAVE catalog could come out on Steam tomorrow and I wouldn't buy it if this is the type of shit that I have to go through. Fuck I'm pissed.

Can anybody help me out here?
You can use Steam without being connected to the net. Just set it to offline mode.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I HATE digital distribution.
I can understand this. Owning what you buy (or owning the rights to use what you buy) is a fundamental part of our society...

...However, you can "blame" big-time game companies for hiccups like this. Because no matter how big or how small a budget goes into a game, all game players judge games by the same yardstick: what appears in front of them. Digital distribution is absolutely necessary for smaller development teams to compete with billion-dollar, hundred-man development teams with advertising budgets the size of Wyoming. Otherwise, every game dev might as well submit their resume and first born to EA to become a proud part of the cult of Madden 2046.

And that's not cool.

I believe there should be a sticker somewhere on the box that states the development team size. It would be the ethical thing to do. Because when a guy with $80 to burn looks up Eschatos by accident on Play-Asia and sees an $80 price tag, he's not going to go, "oh, that's reasonable!" unless he knows what the hell is up.

Currently, we live by the law of the jungle, but I was hoping to see some 21st century behavior in the 21st century.
T-hawk

Post by T-hawk »

Udderdude wrote:Do the bosses have a time limit?
The first phase of the first boss does, because of those milkable waves of popcorn enemies. After 5 waves of that, the boss skips to its second phase. I think there's no time limit on any other boss or phase in the game. I haven't really tried to find out though since nothing else provides endlessly milkable points. The stage 4 boss has those respawning red buttons, which drop gold only the first two times they're killed so it's not milkable after that.

Edit: Here's a double play of stage 5 too. Some nice teamwork is possible on that level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNfpvRactV0
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

help anyone please?

i click on play game and it says its loading then nothing happens. ive tried uninstalling/reinstalling to no effect. I didnt have a problem before when it first came out i played it a bit then just thought id have a quick blast and its not working grrr....

ok so ive just noticed when i click on play game the little grey box appears saying loading jamestown.... and then the cancel button is immediately pressed. Does help shed any light on whats going on?
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Have you tried putting steam in offline mode? Most of my steam games act as you describe unless I'm in offline mode. No idea why, but there it is.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
T-hawk

Post by T-hawk »

Double play Gauntlet 1CC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whIE7IYQLjY

It's on Legendary (medium) difficulty, I tried for a while on Divine but couldn't get consistent on playing stages without deaths (Lady of the Lake of course being the biggest problem.)
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

ZacharyB wrote: I can understand this. Owning what you buy (or owning the rights to use what you buy) is a fundamental part of our society...

...However, you can "blame" big-time game companies for hiccups like this. Because no matter how big or how small a budget goes into a game, all game players judge games by the same yardstick: what appears in front of them. Digital distribution is absolutely necessary for smaller development teams to compete with billion-dollar, hundred-man development teams with advertising budgets the size of Wyoming. Otherwise, every game dev might as well submit their resume and first born to EA to become a proud part of the cult of Madden 2046.

And that's not cool.

I believe there should be a sticker somewhere on the box that states the development team size. It would be the ethical thing to do. Because when a guy with $80 to burn looks up Eschatos by accident on Play-Asia and sees an $80 price tag, he's not going to go, "oh, that's reasonable!" unless he knows what the hell is up.

Currently, we live by the law of the jungle, but I was hoping to see some 21st century behavior in the 21st century.
what is this crap supposed to even mean
HalfEmpty

Post by HalfEmpty »

only question I have at this moment is 'is there network play via steam?' IE, if I grab this on steam and my buddies have it can I play w/ them online?

I'm probably gonna start a steam account to buy this game, no shit. I'd been anticipating it since the trailer and am glad you guys got it out to the public as quickly as you did
5Hit Club