Jamestown Lives!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jinki

Re: Jamestown Lives!

Post by Jinki »

HalfEmpty wrote:only question I have at this moment is 'is there network play via steam?' IE, if I grab this on steam and my buddies have it can I play w/ them online?

I'm probably gonna start a steam account to buy this game, no shit. I'd been anticipating it since the trailer and am glad you guys got it out to the public as quickly as you did
No, the co-op play is local only. Still, it's a wonderful game that is worth every penny of the $9.99 it cost.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-JTLLC/ja ... ost-colony

Gamersgate are doing a 50% off sale atm
NZA

Post by NZA »

I got it from steam at a slight discount near launch. It's a wonderful game, well worth $10 if there are no more sales available.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

^ true, plus im intrested in the new content the devs are working on http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2034674
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I picked up a copy of this at PAX this weekend (the devs were on hand demonstrating this as part of the PAX 10.) For people who bought copies direct from them on the show floor they had an interesting way of distributing the codes. Maybe if I get a chance I can get some pictures and post them.

Still need to get used to this a bit more, but definitely enjoying it so far. The soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in quite a while.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
dpful

Post by dpful »

I bought it at pax. I've never used steam before-- I can't figure out how to use the code! Can anyone help me?
The game ruled.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Go to "Games > Activate a product on Steam" and enter your code there. That should do it. Print the recipe if you want as well.

They were selling physical copies of the game or just keys?

edit: and what about the soundtrack? Is it finally out?
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Observer wrote:Go to "Games > Activate a product on Steam" and enter your code there. That should do it. Print the recipe if you want as well.

They were selling physical copies of the game or just keys?

edit: and what about the soundtrack? Is it finally out?
Thanks! I'll try it. They were just selling keys in little wax sealed packages. don't know about soundtrack
dpful

Post by dpful »

hell, I've been busting my ass trying to figure it out on the steam website, rather than the steam program I'd downloaded :roll:
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

The copies sold at PAX were, as noted above, Steam keys that came in little wax-sealed envelopes, which came with a nice little "letter" to Sir Walter Raleigh (the protagonist of the game) from the benefactor who helped him escape from the Tower of London. Again, I'll try to post some pictures later, it's kind of an interesting little piece on its own.

No soundtrack, but I attended the PAX 10 panel one of the Jamestown devs was involved in, and he said that it is still in the works.
NZA

Post by NZA »

Definitely looking forward to the DLC.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

As promised earlier, I took photos of the card I got for the copy purchased at PAX:

The front of the card (click for larger version)

The back of the card (click for larger version)
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Are there any buttons I can press during the continue screen to accelerate or skip the countdown timer? It just uses a continue no matter what I press.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Reutan

Post by Reutan »

Vexorg wrote:(snip)
Heh... Steam-ship. I see what they did there. Neat way to do physical copies, especially with such a small game; you really don't need a CD or anything.
alastair jack

Post by alastair jack »

Jeneki wrote:Are there any buttons I can press during the continue screen to accelerate or skip the countdown timer? It just uses a continue no matter what I press.
Why is there even a continue screen? Can you turn off continues like most arcade games?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

alastair jack wrote: Why is there even a continue screen? Can you turn off continues like most arcade games?
I wondered about that as well. If they're going to force you to use continues anyway (3 credits with 3 lives) and not even reset your score when you continue, it may as well be a 9-life game to begin with.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
TastySoil

Post by TastySoil »

Hoping they port this to the MAC someday....looks awesome, I wanna play it!!
Kasbe

Post by Kasbe »

I just bought the game. I'm having a blast, and this afternoon the gf is coming over to play it too. :P
TastySoil wrote:Hoping they port this to the MAC someday....looks awesome, I wanna play it!!
I've never had a MAC, but Im sure I've seen people running Windows programs in a Virtual Machine.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

I need some help with this game. I'm trying to run it on my PC that's in my cab. It's got a decent video card, the only thing that might be a little unusual is that I'm running in 640x480 resolution. When I try to run it crashes with this error:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error
Program: C:/P...
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
[something about contact the application's support team]
Also I really need to run this without Steam. It just causes too many pop-ups even with everything disabled that I can possibly disable in the settings. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

I finally 1cc'd this on Legendary. That goal was just about perfect for me - it was a challenge, and it took practice, but it didn't overwhelm my limited attention span and free time.

The biggest improvement in play early on was a Glengarry Glen Ross tip: ABV. A...always. B...be. V...vaunting.
Kasbe

Post by Kasbe »

what ship did you use?
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

I just bought this on Steam too. Fantastic game!
dsheinem

Post by dsheinem »

I just posted an hour long interview I did with Final Form Games (who created Jamestown) over on the Racketboy website. I don't usually spam the podcast here, but I thought this one might be of some interest: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2011/09/ ... games.html
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

DLC is slated for Nov. 10 release.

http://www.finalformgames.com/jamestown/treason/

Looks like at least one new ship with a special that launches explosive barrels that can be detonated at will (sorta like the bomber in vanilla JT). I would be surprised if there weren't a whole new set of levels too.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Great news. That ship looks fun to use and hopefully itll be faster than the slowass beam ship as this was my biggest gripe with the game, and I wasnt too keen on the other shiptypes.

Saying that I played this game after picking up my new arcade stick, and the gunner ship is now fun to play as I hated it with the dpad. I need to check out the charge and bomber ship types with my stick.
Still the game could do with a faster spread shot ship for the hardest difficulty
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

dmauro wrote:I need some help with this game. I'm trying to run it on my PC that's in my cab. It's got a decent video card, the only thing that might be a little unusual is that I'm running in 640x480 resolution. When I try to run it crashes with this error:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error
Program: C:/P...
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
[something about contact the application's support team]
Also I really need to run this without Steam. It just causes too many pop-ups even with everything disabled that I can possibly disable in the settings. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Can't help you with Steam, but the Runtime error implies you might not have the latest Visual C++ Runtime libraries. You'd be looking for the "Visual C++ Runtime Libraries Restributable Installer" or something similar to install. Microsoft's website will have it.

Post by Avatar Ignis »

I know I really haven't spoken too highly of this game, but i really did love those challenge events. Hopefully the DLC will provide some more

Post by Avatar Ignis »

I remembered the 10th of november!

Any one get the DLC? Does it have anything besides 4 ships?
MrChiggins

Post by MrChiggins »

It's not out yet! I thought it'd be coming at 1 p.m. EST on Steam like a lot of games do but no luck. :(
Kewne

Post by Kewne »

Avatar Ignis wrote:I remembered the 10th of november!

Any one get the DLC? Does it have anything besides 4 ships?
Apparently... no. And it's really only 3 ships.

It's out now at $2. Doesn't seem to be working yet, though.