Jamestown Lives!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MrChiggins

Re: Jamestown Lives!

Post by MrChiggins »

Kewne wrote:
Avatar Ignis wrote:I remembered the 10th of november!

Any one get the DLC? Does it have anything besides 4 ships?
Apparently... no. And it's really only 3 ships.

It's out now at $2. Doesn't seem to be working yet, though.
Whew good so it's not just me.
Last edited by MrChiggins on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Avatar Ignis »

Kewne wrote:
Avatar Ignis wrote:I remembered the 10th of november!

Any one get the DLC? Does it have anything besides 4 ships?
Apparently... no. And it's really only 3 ships.

It's out now at $2. Doesn't seem to be working yet, though.
Only three?
The website has Gunpowder, Treason, Plot and Fortune. Unless they replaced that worthless bomber with gunpowder maybe one is unlockable?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

No new levels? Just 3 new ships? What's up with that?

What would be nice (and certianly doable within their framework/budget) is a new scoring system that gives the player some flexibility as to how they approach scoring, and maybe some new/alternate bullet patterns to go with it.

Oh well.
Kewne

Post by Kewne »

The website has Gunpowder, Treason, Plot and Fortune. Unless they replaced that worthless bomber with gunpowder maybe one is unlockable?
From what I understand, Fortune is effectively just a random ship option. I can't really count that as new.

As another side note, the soundtrack's up on Steam for $5. Shame it (update as of one hour later - WAS, it's 320kbit now, love you guys long time and all that :)) 128kbit MP3. I'm not an audiophile by any means but when you can extract better quality stuff from the game archives... well, something's kind of wrong.
Last edited by Kewne on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrChiggins

Post by MrChiggins »

My guess is that Fortune is going to randomly change ships between stages on Gauntlet but we'll see what happens. If that is the case, I'd count him as half a ship/character... plus: that would be cool. ;)
MrChiggins

Post by MrChiggins »

It's live! Everyone go now!
MrChiggins

Post by MrChiggins »

Aaaannnddd it crashes before the level even starts... with every character. And the update fucked up the sound effects. :(

Post by Avatar Ignis »

MrChiggins wrote:Aaaannnddd it crashes before the level even starts... with every character. And the update fucked up the sound effects. :(
Damn man, sucks to hear its bad right now. Thanks for being the guinea pig!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Boom goes the dynamite.
mortified_penguin

Post by mortified_penguin »

Uh, works fine for me. Just tried all four ships out with no issue.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Any of them particularly worth getting? I.e., are any of them fast?
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Kewne

Post by Kewne »

MrChiggins wrote:My guess is that Fortune is going to randomly change ships between stages on Gauntlet but we'll see what happens. If that is the case, I'd count him as half a ship/character... plus: that would be cool. ;)
It's on death or stage swap.
Moniker wrote:Any of them particularly worth getting? I.e., are any of them fast?
Powder is the fast/slow ship you're looking for. Fast when not charging special, slow when charging special. Seems pretty weak at first glance though.

Last day's reveal is up. To the surprise of nobody who's played, there's new sound effects that sound better. Also, they ninjafixed the soundtrack problem I complained about earlier, it's proper 320kbit instead of 128kbit crap now.

As for other changes, the Gunner rapidfire damage increase thing seems to have been fixed. Probably for the better. At least some enemies seem to stop firing when near the bottom of the screen now, I don't remember any of them doing that. Lots of new bugs all over the place though... crashes, collision against moving walls killing you in Croatoa (could be intentional?) and I'm not getting any gauntlet extends.
Observer

Post by Observer »

So the new sounds are done by the guy from Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac??? I f----- HATED both! How could they do this? I thought the original sounds were just fine. Nothing to write home about but they did their job.

So this update broke it all? They kept talking about the "arms facility" or something like that in the DLC update so I assumed there was going to be an Extra Stage or something. If it's just new ships, I can live without them really. Only thing I wanted is the OST, but I'm not buying some shitty mp3. Give me hi-fi, dammit. Put a CD, FLAC or something, jeez!

I hope they fixed the horrid motion sickness-inducing scrolling of Stage 2. It's awful at the beginning.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

Kewne wrote:the Gunner rapidfire damage increase thing seems to have been fixed. Probably for the better.
Ha, that invalidates my scores and my Judgement Gauntlet run. Justice is served!
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Well this is fairly disappointing. I'd be all over it if there were even a single extra stage with reused assets. Ah well. Might pick it up in a month after they've worked out the kinks.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
westquote

Post by westquote »

MrChiggins wrote:Aaaannnddd it crashes before the level even starts... with every character. And the update fucked up the sound effects.
So sorry to hear about this bug! We didn't run into this during testing - it sounds like something specific to certain machines. If you haven't already, please email us at support@finalformgames.com and we'll get more info from you and squash this bug. Thanks, and sorry again for your trouble.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Moniker wrote:Well this is fairly disappointing. I'd be all over it if there were even a single extra stage with reused assets. Ah well. Might pick it up in a month after they've worked out the kinks.
And I think there is a lot to work on...

Performance-wise, it's worse than ever. I mean, most doujin soft runs better than this, even Exception with like 4k cubes on screen. I don't know what they are touching but it can't lag this much. Unless they were trying to emulate Cave slowdown, which I don't think it's the case. I wonder if it's the Vsync option or something. Also, the game's window icon still has a question mark, come on.

And don't get me started with the Gauntlet not having a proper restart option, forcing you to go through like three menus just to get back to stage 1. I was hoping they would fix that for this. It's the only thing I hate with passion in this game.

All this comes from the fact that I don't see a Bandcamp link or anything to buy the soundtrack properly. The music is awesome, yes.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Judging from that crash message, they accidentally pushed a debug version to the live Steam servers.

Oops.
Observer

Post by Observer »

hahaha, I was about to post the same screenshot! :P Yeah, just got the game crashing like that a moment ago.

By the way, you have to disable Vertical Sync from the video card settings to get this working at a proper speed.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

westquote wrote:
MrChiggins wrote:Aaaannnddd it crashes before the level even starts... with every character. And the update fucked up the sound effects.
So sorry to hear about this bug! We didn't run into this during testing - it sounds like something specific to certain machines. If you haven't already, please email us at support@finalformgames.com and we'll get more info from you and squash this bug. Thanks, and sorry again for your trouble.
You guys should get me to make an arrange mode of your game, I promise it will be awesome .. >_>
westquote

Post by westquote »

Observer wrote:So this update broke it all? They kept talking about the "arms facility" or something like that in the DLC update so I assumed there was going to be an Extra Stage or something. If it's just new ships, I can live without them really. Only thing I wanted is the OST, but I'm not buying some shitty mp3. Give me hi-fi, dammit. Put a CD, FLAC or something, jeez!
Observer wrote:I wonder if it's the Vsync option or something. Also, the game's window icon still has a question mark, come on.

And don't get me started with the Gauntlet not having a proper restart option, forcing you to go through like three menus just to get back to stage 1. I was hoping they would fix that for this. It's the only thing I hate with passion in this game.

All this comes from the fact that I don't see a Bandcamp link or anything to buy the soundtrack properly. The music is awesome, yes.
Hi Observer! Sorry to hear you're feeling frustrated. That said, we really do appreciate your feedback, and almost all of what you mentioned is in our short-list of things to fix. Expect a Bandcamp version of the soundtrack within a few days. The 128 kbps MP3's appear to have been caused by a mixup on the Steam servers that led to a weeks-old lo-fi test version of the soundtrack to be pushed to some people. The 320 kbps version is what we put in the depots for launch. Also, we totally agree about the Gauntlet retry button. Expect it in the next patch. :)
Udderdude wrote:Judging from that crash message, they accidentally pushed a debug version to the live Steam servers.
Hah! Actually, the increased verbosity is a change we made to the error logs. We decided that the best policy would be to provide more full error messages so we can better track things down bugs people report. If you get a crash, please send us your ErrorLog.txt! On a related note, that crash bug should be fairly easy to track down, given that log. Thanks for passing it along!
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

So what's this about changed sound effects? I actually bought the game at launch but I haven't even installed it yet... ^^;;;
raiod

Post by raiod »

I really like Jamestown, i bought it day 1 on Steam! Are there any plans to port it to XBLA or IOS? This would be REALLY perfect!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I've been playing with the new ships a bit, and so far I've got to say that Treason is probably my favorite of the three. I'm having a little trouble figuring out Ghost (there seems to be a way to recombine the ghost back into your ship once it's been dispatched, but I can't seen to figure out what it is) and haven't messed with Gunpowder enough to really understand how it works yet (it does appear that the spinning barrels do damage to enemies while around the ship though.)
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
mortified_penguin

Post by mortified_penguin »

Double tap the special button to bring back the ghost ship.
Observer

Post by Observer »

I just got a small Jamestown download. Did this fix the missing extra extends in Gauntlet? I would really appreciate getting 1 extend per 2 moons and one extra for max moons (total = 5 lives, quite a usual) so at least aiming for the 1cc on Divine is more manageable... Maybe it was already implemented and I missed it.

I managed to clear the game on Divine, spending all my credits and with 1 life left, heh.

Are there any tips for Judgement mode? It's like the most hilariously ridiculous mode ever. The vertizontal approach only worsens the effect. Seriously, suicide bullets spawning at full speed no matter the distance (I would expect point blanking to at least grant a breather considering most enemies fire without pause) combined with those bloody green ones is just horrible. Either reduce the amount of green shit (not even asking to reduce the amount of flak) or take it out altogether (not much of a fan of this, some patterns could definitely use the green bullets but, as it is now, I feel the shield is pretty much pointless) because rather than Judgement, this is more like Punishment.

Ok, waiting for the OST @ Bandcamp. Come on, give me a Francisco-signed CD, I'm right next to Chile! :P
Last edited by Observer on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westquote

Post by westquote »

Hi everyone! We pushed a new patch today, with the following changes:

* Fixed a bug where the game was crashing at the beginning of levels for players with certain audio configurations
* Fixed a bug where some users weren’t hearing any music at all
* Fixed a bug where trying to play the game caused some users to hear dark whispers from beyond space and time never meant for mortal ears
* Fixed a crash bug that cropped up sometimes when defeating the Lady of the Lake
* Treason and Ghost DLC ships can now properly target and kill Jack-In-A-Box enemies in New Madrid
* Added a ‘Try Again’ button to Gauntlet Mode for quickly getting back into the action.
* Fixed bug where gauntlet moon extends were not being given
* Blocks in Croatoa are now much less likely to crush you erroneously
* Fixed small timing issues on some sounds
* XBOX 360 triggers now correctly bind again
* Keyboard bindings now persist between rounds again
* Attempted fix for users needing to set CPU affinity to 1
* Restored OpenGL 1.5 provisional support
* Fixed audio skip in one of the tracks on the soundtrack

Thanks for all the help everyone gave in tracking down and reporting these issues. If you find any more please email us at support@finalformgames.com! :)
Observer

Post by Observer »

westquote wrote:* Fixed a bug where trying to play the game caused some users to hear dark whispers from beyond space and time never meant for mortal ears
Chapter X

Where the Martian Spirits soar to the surface and

Provide incredibly mysterious and ominous messages

To the warmongering spanish army

Wondering what were people hearing...
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Mmmm... there we go: it seems this new DLC isn't available in offline mode which shouldn't be the case AFAIK. Whenever I launch in offline mode it defaults to normal Jamestown, including all DLC spamming within in-game menus.

Not good... especially if my ISP decides to go nuts for a week all of a sudden. :?

I better e-mail the sinister balloon-girl guys about this and I'll also include yet another request for them to fix that problem of your ship being stuck on respawn until your release-press again a direction.

Apart from this I think this is quite a nice DLC for just 2 bucks and that last update has indeed fixed a number of annoyances being that "Start Over" button just what I've been waiting for.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Ouch! And it seems that using the "Start Over" new option gets you to the beginning of Gauntlet Chapter I, no matter if you're playing a single separate Chapter. It would make sense for it to get you back to the beginning of that particular Chapter in this case (*sigh*)...