Jamestown Lives!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bsidwell

Re: Jamestown Lives!

Post by bsidwell »

Veracity wrote:Might be worth including a ship type filter for solo high scores - initial impression was that gunner's potential wipes the floor with the other three's, beam is at least easy, and the other two are worthless, if you're ranking their scores as equivalent.
I actually quite like the charge ship. It's fast and the secondary does a lot of damage if you aim it weel, plus you can use it like the dangun float bombs and park it on one side of the screen while you shoot stuff with the primary on the other side.
Bomber, however, seems like utter trash even with the buff it supposedly got in the patch. No damage, no coverage, no point unless you want to use a Dan-tier ship.
BeruBeru

Post by BeruBeru »

Whoa, the new patch fixed all my issues. Great job guys!
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I just unlocked Judgment difficulty.
green bullets
YOU GUYS ARE EVIL.
ebarrett

Post by ebarrett »

Bought it, but unfortunately it won't even launch. :?
MauJustice

Post by MauJustice »

The challenge level where you have to survive 30 seconds against the plants is making me rage.

I've died twice now with .42 and .38 seconds left...
renardqueenston

Post by renardqueenston »

i got one of those after getting to level 3 and then starting over on level 1 on legendary difficulty.

other than that this game is really great. it's a bit sluggish on my 1.6ghz dual core machine with ion chip though, unfortunately, which is a bit weird considering the not-very-demanding presentation. does this game use its own engine, or was it created with a tool like game maker?
westquote

Post by westquote »

Just checking in, glad to see people are starting to chip away at the challenges and Judgement mode. :)

As for the latest wave of issues, anyone having crashes or chronic performance problems, please send a dxdiag log to support@finalformgames.com. If you don't know how to do that:

1. Open DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button, typing dxdiag in the Search box, and then pressing ENTER.
2. Click the "Save All Information..." button at the bottom of the window that comes up.
3. Send us the DxDiag.txt that you save.

This will let us know what your full hardware configuration is. Also, if you have a file called ErrorLog.txt from My Documents/Saved Games/Jamestown, please send that as well. Once we have both of those things, I'm hopeful we'll be able to figure out what the problem is and fix it in the next patch.

Thanks, everybody!
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

I ought the game today. VERY impressed! I haven't run into any glitches so far. Kudos!
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

I'm loving it, no probs here, good job lads
T-hawk

Post by T-hawk »

Jamestown is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. It really rewards putting in effort to learn. I know this isn't a high scores thread, but I just put up 7,404,847 in Gauntlet mode, the #3 solo ranking on Steam.

Gunner is totally the ship to use for scoring. Spend 10 minutes getting the hang of it and then every other ship feels like a kiddie toy with zero speed. The last level in particular is totally designed for the Gunner, with its ability to shoot past corners at any angle. It's a lot of fun that way, though I agree that with any other ship that level is a mess. But give that level a few tries with the Gunner and you'll see how everything links together. Also note that only moving walls can kill you, you don't die if you push into a regular stationary wall.

Demetori wrote:Normal is just a walk in the park, Difficult is easy, Legendary feels like the normal difficulty most STGs would have. Divine and Judgement are seriously balls to the wall hard..
Yeah, they're just named funny. If it was "Very Easy" that ended after three stages, "Easy" after four, and "Normal" to go all the way, nobody would complain and that would be a completely standard shooter difficulty progression. Bit of an odd choice by the designers. It seems a tongue-in-cheek way to claim that the game is super hard. But it's backfiring a little bit for players that are going "why is there no easy mode? I have to play two levels above normal just to see the whole game?"
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Since im a sad man who is somewhat lacking in having RL friends who are still into gaming. What about the rest of you guys? Is it good at getting your non shmup friends into the genre?
Me too! I persuaded my son to play Jamestown a bit and it is a whole new experience as multiplayer.
The way that you revive the other player makes it a qualatitively different experience from single player and really different from most other multiplayers. Working as a team actually makes the game easier too so I understand why people are saying it was designed for multiplayer.
Soon enough though, Call Of Duty wins the day and i'm left with Jamestown on my own.
If ever there was a need for online co-op it's here, eh?
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I'll be playing this with some friends and doing a tandem stream - give everyone a microphone, make witty banter, die a lot. Probably alcohol involved. I predict a smashing success.
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

-Bridget- wrote:I'm using a 360 controller, and aside from the fact that it WONT LET ME USE THE TRIGGERS

I cannot, right now, use the face buttons on the controller quite fully; I can USE them, but if I have to apply constant pressure
I'm using a 360 controller with the game and everything works fine. The triggers work without any configuring, AND you don't have to apply constant pressure on the A button to shoot, you can tap it.
I wonder if you are using custom drivers for the 360 controller like XBCD?
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Ok, new patch out and I had little time to test it but so far this is what I've to say:

Still, "Story - Farce" and "Hardcore Mode" don't get saved on restart. Then again, it smells this is on purpose.

It says they've updated the credits but actually they're worse IMHO. I mean, I've been unable to tell what the update actually did but what I've indeed noticed is that now all text stop before the stage scrolling reaches New Madrid mines. Therefore "The End...?" isn't synchronized with Conquistador's glowing red eyes anymore, which I think it's how it should work. Maybe it's because all text start now on Playtesters.

And another thing: if you watch the credits from the Options menu there's no music when you return to the main menu/options screen.

Well, time to see if I can get that (supposedly fixed) Centurion Card achievement now. 8)
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

Really enjoying this so far, although I tend to only play the beam and charge ships. The gunner is obviously useful on the 2nd level if you're playing on your own, but I can't see any use for the bomber ship. Has anyone figured out a strategy for using it?
westquote

Post by westquote »

Thanks Zosite! The credits bug is a small (but significant!) typo that we will fix ASAP.
renardqueenston

Post by renardqueenston »

monoRAIL wrote:Really enjoying this so far, although I tend to only play the beam and charge ships. The gunner is obviously useful on the 2nd level if you're playing on your own, but I can't see any use for the bomber ship. Has anyone figured out a strategy for using it?
i'd be interested to know how exactly to use the bomber ship as well. it probably fares best in a 3/4 player multiplayer game as a backup unit and is great for boss rushdowns, but i've only had the chance to player 2 player so far.

i'm enjoying the gunner so far myself!
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

This game will rule this forums as soon as the devs enable the online multiplayer feature that is missing. i've played this one some, and am impressed for the quality i can grasp from it. LOVE the graphics, and am dying to give it a go online with 3 more folks, cuz i dont have RL friends that likes to play shmups! T_T.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

Kaspal wrote:This game will rule this forums as soon as the devs enable the online multiplayer feature that is missing. i've played this one some, and am impressed for the quality i can grasp from it. LOVE the graphics, and am dying to give it a go online with 3 more folks, cuz i dont have RL friends that likes to play shmups! T_T.
is it actually confirmed that there will be a patch for online play? That would be fucking amazing! 4 player coop is gonna be insane
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
joeboto

Post by joeboto »

please please please,
WASD keyboard for ship navigating. :(
It is to us a sufficient body in which, fairies and it is packed and can group of play.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:Is it actually confirmed that there will be a patch for online play? That would be fucking amazing! 4 player coop is gonna be insane
Yes it would! Persuaded an old friend of mine into some multiplayer when he came round earlier, but I want it 24-7!!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

For 360 pad issues I highly recommend Xpadder, though it's not free, it goes a step further than JoyToKey but it's money well spent if you game on your PC regularly.
http://www.xpadder.com/ I use it for all kinds of things from flash games to emulators to older PC titles.

I saw the trailer for this and it looks great, even if I lack friends into gaming to play co-op, think I'll still take a punt on it.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Observer

Post by Observer »

By all means do so. It's still pretty damn solid even in 1 player mode. And never I've seen so much support on a PC shooter. It was something extremely needed. It's a pity Rockin' Android couldn't capitalise on the same wave and went for the PSN route (and we saw what happened to PSN...) and left us wondering if there are going to be more releases on PC.

Like I said before, as someone who just doesn't have the time to game that much, games like Jamestown are mana falling from the sky. I can be calling customers or arranging meetings and the next minute I can be blasting Jamestown at full volume during lunch breaks and have an audience wondering wtf is that game.

So, yea, another thing I found funny is how many here (including myself) think the last stage is underwhelming yet I noticed in the Steam forums people praise it. I praise the music and the boss of the stage but, really, the obstacle course... mmmm...

edit: and still waiting for the OST. Just do like the people at the Steam forums said: go the Shatter team route and release a digital version via Bandcamp and a physical version via CDBaby. MUST HAVE EXTENDED ORCHESTRAL AWESOMENESS.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

So Judgement difficulty is really difficult. Has anyone else tried it yet? Definitely seems like it's meant to be for more than one player. It seems impossible to cover that much screen quick enough even using the gunner.

I'm liking the game a lot. I'm still having trouble getting used to not having extends in 1 player mode. Something just feels off about it.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Well, IIRC, both Gigawing and Mars Matrix do not feature any kind of extends. Although I could be wrong. I always felt stuff like that is wrong. If the game is difficult enough, one or two extra lives via score never hurt and give some extra margin for error.

The thing with Judgment is that the screen literally fills with bullets but most are aimed so randomly there is literally no room or pattern to read, especially noticeable right from the go on the first stage with the small betentacled tanks. It's less noticeable in later stages but it's ridiculous that the first stage becomes the hardest!
Last edited by Observer on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Observer wrote:Well, IIRC, both Gigawing and Mars Matrix do not feature any kind of extends. Although I could be wrong.
Technically GW has a 1-up in it, but it only appears at a certain spot if you perform a particular (though not exactly tricky, if you know what it is) action if you're on your last life.
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

Observer wrote:Well, IIRC, both Gigawing and Mars Matrix do not feature any kind of extends. Although I could be wrong. I always felt stuff like that is wrong. If the game is difficult enough, one or two extra lives via score never hurt and give some extra margin for error.

The thing with Judgment is that the screen literally fills with bullets but most are aimed so randomly there is literally no room or pattern to read, especially noticeable right from the go on the first stage with the small betentacled tanks. It's less noticeable in later stage but it's ridiculous that the first stage becomes the hardest!
Never noticed that about Gigawing or Mars Matrix. I guess I never cared about either of them enough to realize that. *goes to play Mars Matrix*

You're definitely right about the first stage. I figured I would start with the first stage since that is usually the easiest. I saw how difficult it was and didn't even try the other ones. I'll give the others a try later. I'm thinking that if you carefully aim the gunner and use the vaunt and extra vaunt in the right places you might be able to get through it. It's br00tal no matter what you do though.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Br00tal, indeed, and then some! Judgement is brutal, unfair, cruel...

While Normal was just a silly joke.

It reminds me of Mushi Futari 1.5 Ultra (or 1.01 for that matter) vs. Novice Original. So in the end it suits both the master who's able to face Pink Sweets rank on scoring and the poor fella who's still trying to beat Imperishable Night on Easy.

And then there's that achievement about no-missing Gauntlet Judgement. It makes Yagawa's 2nd loop requirements to look funny. :P
MathU

Post by MathU »

Observer wrote:Well, IIRC, both Gigawing and Mars Matrix do not feature any kind of extends.
Mars Matrix has two extra ships that it practically hands to you. You get one for reaching level 4 shot power and another for destroying the miniboss at the beginning of stage 3.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Zosite wrote:Br00tal, indeed, and then some! Judgement is brutal, unfair, cruel...

While Normal was just a silly joke.

It reminds me of Mushi Futari 1.5 Ultra (or 1.01 for that matter) vs. Novice Original. So in the end it suits both the master who's able to face Pink Sweets rank on scoring and the poor fella who's still trying to beat Imperishable Night on Easy.

And then there's that achievement about no-missing Gauntlet Judgement. It makes Yagawa's 2nd loop requirements to look funny. :P
I mean, that's brutal hardcore. In short, you have to 1LC Judgment to become the FINAL FORM. I already smell so much bitching and craziness. "C" of Cthulhu and his betentacled offspring will be happy.

I want to see someone achieving this using a keyboard...

MathU> That's why I said I could be wrong. I knew at least one didn't have extends, at least not in a traditional way. It was Gigawing. I need to play more Mars Matrix. (Well, one can never play enough Mars Matrix)