Doujin Shmups (games) thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TrevHead (TVR)

Doujin Shmups (games) thread

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Anyone who read a thread about doujin games a while back might remember me mentioning that there should be a special thread created for doujin shmups and other genres, just so folk can post whatever titbits of news they have and to help raise awareness for doujin in this forum considering just how Cave and 360 focused it is here.

So I invite anyone to post any news and discussions on doujin in this thread :) Anyone know what games are due next comiket?

Ill start, I appears that another company Active Gaming Media (a Japanese localisation company) is planning on localising doujins for the western market, it wont happen just yet as they appear to be primarily concerned about bringing western PC indies into Japan but hope to bring doujins to the west once they get on their feet. Heres the story.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/12/pl ... -overseas/

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/13/do ... o-playism/
Despatche

Re: Doujin Shmups (games) thread

Post by Despatche »

Do we really need one of these every Comiket?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
rancor

Post by rancor »

Astro Port has a new side-scroller coming soon called "Sata Zeus".

Pics:

Observer

Post by Observer »

As mentioned in other threads, TRIS-GRAM is rebuilding Stella Vanity from the ground, ditching the Touhou-like uninteractive backgrounds for ground enemies and a lot of varied stuff, including what seem to be some cues to Crimzon Clover.

The developer even started posting in english. Fucking awesome.

Same deal with deathpiyo. He's also rebuilding Under the Lotus, fixed english texts and is composing more music. The sad thing is that he's going through rehab due to his serious illness (without mentioning he has the bad luck of living in the Fukushima prefecture, almost Touma-fukodaaa misfortune) so he only has the weekends to work on the game. However, sooner or later we can hope for a renewed trial.

Same for Stella Vanity.

More news? Acceleration of Suguri 2 is coming!
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It's cool to see I'm not the only one resurrecting old projects and re-making them .. :X
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Udderdude wrote:It's cool to see I'm not the only one resurrecting old projects and re-making them .. :X
And what exactly are you talking about? :twisted:
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

It looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty decent year for doujin shmups after all. There's also Touhou 13 (yeah, I know..) and hopefully RefRain ~prism memories~ will be finished as well. The Hellsinker 'clone', ∀kashicverse -Awoken Cardinal Sin-, also looks really neat, but it's probably way too early to expect it any time soon.

And maybe TrevHead will get his wish and BLACK ART will finally be released this year. :lol:

Observer, do you know the status on ring^-27 (I can't remember if what came out last Comiket was the full version) and LUX?
Observer

Post by Observer »

ring^-27 got a new trial not so long ago, you can check the thread. The author even opened a site now. Damn badass game.

LUX, knowing Temperance Lance, might take a long while... Same deal with RefRain. I know it should be nearly finished and probably might turn into the doujin game of the year if no competition is around but RebRank takes its fair share of time. And I'm glad they did because the game was initially a huge mess and now it's way more badass and awesome.

edit: the author of the Akashicverse shooter doesn't show life signs since the great earthquake. However, he did a single tweet back in march 12th informing he was safe but that was it... Hope he really is safe or something.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

rancor wrote:Astro Port has a new side-scroller coming soon called "Sata Zeus".
Oh, sweet. Looks like my type of shmup. Now I have something to look forward to on the doujin front again, since Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel just keeps getting pushed back.

Speaking of, if anybody has info about new non-shmup games coming out this Comiket, feel free to mention them as well.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Observer

Post by Observer »

TRIS-GRAM put a video of the Stella Vanity trial.

Gentlemen, if he finishes I think we have the next Crimzon Clover. It seems to use some sort of lock-on and Break Mode like thing but adds a brutal melee weapon and some other stuff. I don't know, just check his blog and you can comment too, he's replying in english now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXwMmyTjH4A
TrevHead (TVR)

Re: Doujin Shmups & Games Thread

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Wow Stella Vanity really does have a more CC vibe to it. With doujin shmups like other doujin genres starting to get a little bit on the bland side imo, due to most ppl copying Touhou, either a full clone or just characters, mechanics or just the asthetics like Exceed / hellsinker does. Now that CC has come out it seems to have risen the bar and made the other circles realise that its about time they too pulled their fingers out.

I might be talking bollocks but I really hope Stella Vanity/ TRIS-GRAM are the first of many other shmup circles to stop making moe-blob, bullet spammy, boss rush, Touhou clones and make real shmups like Siter Skain & X.X games. (Not that im saying Touhou is shit per-se but surely we can all agree that weve seen enough crappy clones.)

And maybe TrevHead will get his wish and BLACK ART will finally be released this year. :lol:

I bloody hope so, :) the game has been almost finished and just missing the final stage for the past 2 comikets. Athough tbh I havnt played it yet myself (saving myself for the final version) But I find a polarity based shmup but with 3 colours quite intresting. Especially since the impression I had from watching gameplay vids is that the gameplay is more like a traditional shmup and not like the puzzle / memory based Ikaruga.
Speaking of, if anybody has info about new non-shmup games coming out this Comiket, feel free to mention them as well.
Oh thanks Ghegs, Ill make sure to post anything decent I come across in here. Due to there been no good english sources of doujin news, most of us (me included) hate having to wade through all the shit just to find the good stuff. So a thread like this would be ideal, and also encourages more envolvement from forum members in this format imo. (Ive changed the thread title to make it more search friendly)
LtC

Re: Doujin Shmups & Games Thread

Post by LtC »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Wow Crimzon Clover really does have a more StellaVanity vibe to it.
Fixed
Observer

Post by Observer »

NO U.

:P

Actually, no. Really. The original Stella Vanity trial was more like Espgaluda, with a kakusei-like mode that spammed way more bullets that you could cancel for profit and you needed to pick up point items that worked similarly (but not exactly) like the green gems. The second iteration had some crazy weird gem exchange thing more akin to Progear but it was too convulsed and confusing... I didn't like it at all. Plus the synchrony deal I always complained about. Even Tris-Gram now realized how important the music is and how useful it is to match it with the action. So yeah, the stage 1 is like 5 minutes long. Not your average for a stage 1 but I think it might be worth it.

This seems to fuse Break Mode with a melee power attack on top of adding a lot of bullet cancelling and replacing the stars with coins. The whole style seems to be closer to a fusion of loli-mechs (maybe we could say it's closer to Espgaluda in that regard) rather than the "pure and brutal machine carnage without excuses/storyline" that CC is.

Plus, STG WILL NEVER DIE.

Either way, this is the fifth candidate for my shared doujin throne (integrated today by the Kamui, Diadra Empty, Hellsinker and Crimzon Clover quartet) and maybe Under the Lotus, ring^-27 or RefRain could take the sixth spot. I don't have "places", they are all equally awesome to me.

We won't stop until we have the full orchestra of glorious doujin schmukmups!

I bet mjclark must be happy these guys are also posting in english instead of locking themselves in a 2ch board and putting passwords on everything, heh.

edit: anyway, ETEREARU SHIFUTU MODO!!!!
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Mentioning 2Ch was anyone privy to that discussion on 2Ch about them sayin Trouble Witches Neo is a better shmup then anything else, even Cave. I only saw it mentioned on the shmups twitter and it annoys me that I cant join in in good honest elitist shmup fanboy bashing. Bah! how dare they talk in a foreign language! the whole internets should be in english dammit!!
Observer

Post by Observer »

What I was referencing with 2ch was the infamous GwangeDash incident and all the stuff that happened, heh.

Speaking of other doujin games, Tasogare Frontier is releasing that 3D shooter called Dynamarisa. Was anyone able to try it?
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

Observer wrote:Speaking of other doujin games, Tasogare Frontier is releasing that 3D shooter called Dynamarisa. Was anyone able to try it?
No because it lags like hell on me computer
Tetsuo

Post by Tetsuo »

Im likeing the look of this schmup (STELLAVANITY) I wish i could read japanese, any uk players collect the doujin schmups dvds by anychance or a translated website in english maybe?

if allready posted or in wrong section appologies

http://stellavanity.seesaa.net/
Waitng for the ultimate shooter.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Tetsuo wrote:Im likeing the look of this schmup (STELLAVANITY) I wish i could read japanese, any uk players collect the doujin schmups dvds by anychance or a translated website in english maybe?

if allready posted or in wrong section appologies

http://stellavanity.seesaa.net/
His last few posts have been in English, you know.
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

what were those rumors about RUMINANT'S WHIMPER making a sequel for DOGMA
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Does anyone know anything about L.U.X by temperance lance?
Is it still in development?
What are the latest news?
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

Cagar wrote:Does anyone know anything about L.U.X by temperance lance?
Is it still in development?
What are the latest news?
It is still very much in development. A two-stage trial was released at Comiket 83 last December; you can watch a playthrough of it here (starts at around 13:45): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28187261
qmish

Post by qmish »

Is there a list of doujin stgs for PC released before 2007?