Hellsinker English patch RELEASED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RNGmaster

Hellsinker English patch RELEASED!

Post by RNGmaster »

hurr i am stupid and tvtropes sux
Last edited by RNGmaster on Wed May 30, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MathU

Re: Hellsinker research help

Post by MathU »

RNGmaster wrote:Doing an article on TVTropes
But... Why?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

If I can convince one person not to play Touhou, then job well done. I do harbor a fondness for TVT despite its incredible stupidity most of the time, and I want to see some other doujins get a bit of spotlight.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

You have infinite bombs and the only downside to using them is that your shield goes down, unless you are scoring for some reason

oh and one of the shrine of farewell bosses has bomb healing in the first form
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Bananamatic wrote:You have infinite bombs and the only downside to using them is that your shield goes down, unless you are scoring for some reason

oh and one of the shrine of farewell bosses has bomb healing in the first form
no i mean like story
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

LOL.
lol
drauch

Post by drauch »

And you are convincing people to not play Touhou why...?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

Weren't you JUST talking about how Hellsinker is style over substance and too complicated to enjoy? >.>
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
Barrakketh

Post by Barrakketh »

CaptainRansom wrote:Weren't you JUST talking about how Hellsinker is style over substance and too complicated to enjoy? >.>
Yeah, in one of the Touhou threads.

In a different thread he said:
RNGmaster wrote:Hellsinker is great - yes, I've come to the good side on that - but it is most assuredly not a game for an admitted newcomer to play. I don't want this poor guy's first experience with shmups to be traumatic, you know?
And yet he's starting the TVTropes entry for it aimed at getting the entirely wrong audience interested in trying the game. Maybe his secret agenda is turning people off of the genre :lol:
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Barrakketh wrote: And yet he's starting the TVTropes entry for it aimed at getting the entirely wrong audience interested in trying the game. Maybe his secret agenda is turning people off of the genre :lol:
Oh god, you discovered my plan!

Seriously though, my aims here are twofold - I want to raise awareness about Hellsinker (which I have reversed my opinion on, yes), and I want to find out the game's story for myself, since frankly there's almost no solid info on it that isn't in Japanese.
I am not trying to push the game at people who don't know about the genre - I emphasize in the intro that, like Battle Garegga, Hellsinker is not a game for casual players.

And yes, I'm a tard. Go ahead and laugh at me; I fully deserve scorn for my hypocritical actions.
CaptainRansom wrote:Weren't you JUST talking about how Hellsinker is style over substance and too complicated to enjoy? >.>
I never said "style over substance". I said "too complex". After a sit-down with a strategy guide, I've figured out the mechanics, and it seems a bit less daunting now.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

RNGmaster wrote:And yes, I'm a tard. Go ahead and laugh at me; I fully deserve scorn for my hypocritical actions.
I never said "style over substance". I said "too complex". After a sit-down with a strategy guide, I've figured out the mechanics, and it seems a bit less daunting now.
I guess someone else said it, sorry; I'm not about to go wade through that shitty thread to make a pointless argument, lol. Although I AM pretty sure I told you the game's not THAT complex once you realize what the items do (and even spelled them out). So here's my scornful laughter --> :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Hellsinker needs more fans (because that's the only way we're ever going to get more information).
Subterranean Sun

Post by Subterranean Sun »

Added a few examples.

Good damn luck finding someone to translate the plot for you, though.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

And permit me to disagree with what was written about the Apostles of Seed track. It gets MORE awesome after 1:10. :mrgreen:
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

from YT:
RedTuttle wrote:From what I can piece together with machine translation, it takes place in some sort of future human paradise/colony where something went wrong and everyone died. Now their "epigone" (artificial humans, robots and sentient computer programs) must gather the souls of the dead and put them to rest. Apparently this has something to do with a cat. Also, the final boss (garland) speaks to you like a customer service representative. Also there's a lot of christian and buddhist overtones.
also
XGluon wrote:Actually, Lost Property 771 and Unnamed 771 weren't locked inside. Here's what actually happened, according to "The Quadruple One: Afterimage":

Unnamed 771 accidentally left Lost Property 771 behind while she was visiting the "Cardinal Shaft". However, Lost Property 771 was discovered by the Quadruple Ones one morning.

The Quadruple Ones, knowing that Lost Property 771 was waiting for something, decided to take it under their care.

When your character confronts Garland, the system thinks that your character is Lost Property 771's owner, and so decides to "give" it to your character.
btw segment 7 theme is awesome too

EDIT: holy shit a poll
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Thanks for all the help, but bisexual isn't a gender. You mean hermaphrodite?
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Intersex
lol
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

canon futa?
Subterranean Sun

Treasurance wrote:from YT:
RedTuttle wrote:From what I can piece together with machine translation, it takes place in some sort of future human paradise/colony where something went wrong and everyone died. Now their "epigone" (artificial humans, robots and sentient computer programs) must gather the souls of the dead and put them to rest. Apparently this has something to do with a cat. Also, the final boss (garland) speaks to you like a customer service representative. Also there's a lot of christian and buddhist overtones.
I dunno how he got that information. A quick attempt of translating the manual via google translation revealed the following part of the plot:

Many years ago, humans built something called "The Device" that greatly helped them conquering the harsh enviroments, which was considered the last enemy of the mankind. Then comes a short time of peace and joy named "The golden era".

However, one day something goes wrong and The Device destroyed itself, causing a catastrophic disaster that killed lots of peoples. The survivors collected some shattered pieces of The Device and used them to survive the hardest times.

The game takes place many years after that catastrophe. The civilization was finally restored. Now they are attempting to revive the golden era by copying the technologys of the old world -- including The Device.

An organization called "The Graveyard" is trying do some research on one of the structures built in the golden era: Cardinalshaft (the tower-like thing you see in the background of Segment 3L). However, some metallic battle machines are preventing them from entering Cardinalshaft -- these speechless guardians are referred to as "Prayers".

The Graveyard assaulted the Cardinalshaft twice before and both attempt failed.

This is the third time.

It didn't metion anything about the protagonists been artificial humans. Well, Minogame is indeed an artificial human and Kagura is a robot, but I belive Deadliar and Fossilmaiden are actual humans. The again, I'm still waiting for the confirmation from someone that actually can understand japanese.
RNGmaster wrote:Thanks for all the help, but bisexual isn't a gender. You mean hermaphrodite?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

obviously "The Device" is GARLAND

but how the hell does Shrine of Farewell relate to the story
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Treasurance wrote:obviously "The Device" is GARLAND

but how the hell does Shrine of Farewell relate to the story
I think the bosses are sealed relics from before the Device broke. Why two of them are cats is totally beyond me, though.
Subterranean Sun wrote:Then again, I'm still waiting for the confirmation from someone who actually can understand Japanese.
Show me your source and I'll be willing to translate it - might take me a while though.
Barrakketh

Post by Barrakketh »

RNGmaster wrote:Show me your source and I'll be willing to translate it - might take me a while though.
I think everything is from the manual.

KAGURA:
 ハードエンクロージャを纏った単騎ミステルトゥ「赫螺丸」。
 本来は試作武装や新アーキテクチャの試験運用の為に配置されているGRAVEYARDの備品。
 基本フレームに4種の武装パッケージの内1種を装備する。
 各パッケージはそれぞれ歴史上に語られる構造物(建造物/要塞や衛星?)の名を冠する。
 それらは研究過程上の武装を取り入れたものが中心であり、
 単純な戦闘力やその有効性は兎も角、癖が強く特殊なものが多い。
MINOGAME:
 かつて或る宗教組織の手によって製造された即身仏(不死を目標として作られた神体・崇拝の対象となる本尊)。
 標準型だが、単騎。メインショットを使ったときのLUNA減衰速度が速く、威力も比較的弱い。
 その弱点を塞ぐ為に、副兵装とのより頻繁な連携を要する。
 それらは扱いと投入する箇所が適切であれば、弱点を補って余りある。
 また、SOLを全開放するディスチャージの総合的な性能は防御面・多数殲滅性において非常に優秀である。
 しかし、全方向性・非指向性・広大な射程ゆえの「攻撃すべき相手を限定できない」という側面が祟る事もあるだろう。
DEAD LIAR:
 GRAVEYARDの生き残り中で最古参の者の一人。
 標準型。ミステルトゥ「屠針丸」と共に行動し、役割を分担した連携行動が得意。
 ショット発射時、余剰パワーが周囲に羽根状のオーラとなって噴出し
 それが密度の高い弾の壁となる為、破壊可能弾等に対し屈指の遮断性能を持つ。
 これに限らず高密度な「壁」をもって的に迫る事はSPIRITを引き寄せ、STELLAの因縁を呼び寄せる。
 特に彼は心掛け次第で最も苛烈な戦況と最も大きな業績とが隣り合わせとなるだろう。
FOSSIL MAIDEN:
 「幽かな生物」を扱う潜在的な能力は高いが、視力をはじめとした感覚や基本的な身体能力が乏しいために、
 常にミステルトゥ「更羽丸」が常駐し感覚器を補っている。
 また、ミステルトゥを介して初めて戦闘力を発現する一蓮托生形態。
 主に広範囲射撃での中域制圧を得意とする傍ら、単発ながら強力な射撃が可能。
 また近接戦闘用デバイスも装備しているが、厚い装甲と高い機動力を兼ね備えた相手には不向きである。
 これは安定してかなり高い威力を発揮する為、重装甲かつ鈍重な相手や、火器を完全に制圧できる相手、
 または死角の多い相手に対してはすこぶる有効である。
Pages 0c (BACKGROUND), 0b (PRESTORY), 15 (資料), and 15b (資料2:的-PRAYER-について) are probably of interest.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Don't have no manual - can you post some more fragments?
Barrakketh

Post by Barrakketh »

RNGmaster wrote:Don't have no manual - can you post some more fragments?
You have Hellsinker, don't you? Look in HELLSINKER/instruction. If you don't have it (when I installed HELLSINKER it was there) I've uploaded it here.

Here is 0c.

Here is 0b.

The manual actually has a lot of information. Hitboxes, character shots/equips, details on the shots you can see when clicking on the smaller link next to the character pages, plot information. Looks like one of the pages of interest I mentioned has a description of some of the terminology and characters, for instance:
HELLSINKER…    世界が別たれた瞑く、そして輝ける時代の遺物。
         未だ眠ったままの物も数多く、それは夢から醒めぬ者を蠱惑する。

いずれも混迷の中で造られた希望であり、無論今になって発見されるからには、大概は故あってこそ放逐された物である。
         閉塞された世界を打ち破るために、或いは拠り所のない地上で自らを守るために。
         その渇望と妄執が生み出した、過剰なまでの願望を具体した極致。

「夢 ――一種の熱病―― が生み出した、最も性質の悪い現実」 数多くのそれと相対した男は、それらをそう呼んだ。

CARDINALSHAFT…   現状においてPRAYERが根城としている巨大建造物で、現在「楽園」と呼ばれる人工島に聳え立つ。
         遺物となった都市管理級、もしくはそれ以上の広域中枢制御搭らしいという事が解っている。
         過去に引き起こされた大規模な事故「大決壊」により地域が分断され、永らく世界と隔絶された数世紀前の時期に建造されたようだが
         それらしい建立記録は残されていない為、その庇護下にあった系譜が復興した世界に継がれているかは不明。

屠針丸(とばりまる):ミステルトゥ
  DEAD-LIAR専用ミステルトゥ。
 初期の傑作モデルで、未だその系譜は主流の一つを担う。
 ロールアウト後も度重なる調整を受け、最新の形式と比較しても遜色ない性能を誇る。
 DEAD-LIARとの延べマウント時間は5万時間を越え、最適化された特性は最早他者を主とは認めないだろう。
 しばしば本来の定義とは逆に、DEAD-LIARを自らの庇護下においているかの様な言動を見せるが、
 最早文字通り抜き差しなら無い依存関係にあるので 強ち間違っているとは言えない。

現在のパーソナリティは基本的に皮肉屋で、度々辛辣な形で表面に出す。 これはDEAD-LIARの影響が大きいようだが
 彼のそれは淡白で薄いジョークの色が濃いのに対し、屠針は刺々しく粘着気味な傾向がある。

FOSSIL-MAIDEN(フォッスィルメイデン):エグゼキュータ
  本名不詳。当時は橙色の光を放つ目をしており、その異様な風貌からアンバーと呼ばれていたようだ。

物心ついた時には既に、10数層からなる階層都市の最下層に居た。
 汚染された灰塵の舞う場所で育った所為か幼少の時より五感(特に視覚)に乏しく、その世界は常にくぐもった灰色であった。
 体温の調節も上手くいかず、いつの日も大きな灰色の外套に小さな身体を納めていた。

何も変わらない筈のある日。 雨の中虚ろな眼差しで、事実とそう変わらない灰色の空を眺める彼女に
 救いの手を差し伸べようとする者が現れる。
 「本当に?」そう疑いの言葉を発しながらも、彼女はその手に縋った。 感覚は無いが暖かいと信じたかった。

ミステルトゥとのより深い依存と共生関係。 別の生き物を半ば生めこまれる形で、彼女は全てを得た。
 歓喜! 身を覆う予防衣の肌触り、消毒薬のどこかすえた匂い、静寂の中響く金属同士が擦れ合う音、そして蛍光灯の青ざめた眩しさ。
 ミステルトゥを通し、眼前に映る全ては新しい世界。古ぼけた灰色の世界を完全に彼方に追いやる、彼女にとっての真実であった。
 ――それが人を遥かに越えるものであって、彼女の求めた世界との隔たりは何ら変わっていない事になど気づく筈も無く――

日照下での自由は許されていたものの、実際はミステルトゥとの共生による人体への影響を見極める実験台であった。
 それでも彼女は歓喜の中に居た。 彼女自身からEXECUTORとなる旨の言葉が発せられるのに、そう時間は要らない程に。

強烈で対照的な原体験のせいか、何故か自分が(特殊な経緯の)普通の人間であるという思いこみがあり、
 如何に苛烈な状況下に置かれようとも「自分が出来るのだから当たり前の事だ」とばかりに、ごく自然に受け入れてしまう。
 故に周囲の者も扱いに困る。彼女にとって彼らは羨望の対象で有る為、彼女なりに周囲を困らせない様に努力し気を遣うのだが、
 皮肉にもその噛み合わなさが救いがたい決定的な溝を成している。
 だが、それこそが彼女が苦も無く絶大な力を発揮できる理由なのだろう。
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Don't expect me to finish that soon, but thanks for the info. Will definitely get on it.

Confirmed that Kagura is actually a Misteltoe in a suit of armor; certainly strange though. All its (still not clear of all Misteltoes are female) attack forms are named after historically important structures; specifically, barriers and defense satellites.

I'll do the other character bios soon. Looks like there might be some 2chan posts relevant to the story on the main HS wiki, but I'll have to do a lot of combing through to find the relevant ones.
Subterranean Sun

As I already stated in the TvTropes entry, Kagura's equipments are named after Radio Zonde bosses.

散神無(Groom Eater) was the stage 1 boss.
劫殺(Pain Killer) was the stage 5 boss.
緋輪(Promised Dawn) was the stage 2 boss.
神弥(No Chaser) was the (second) stage 6 boss.

Aside from the name, they are not actually related to these bosses - the only relation I'm aware of is the discharge of No Chaser resembles the super-fast laser attack used by the corresponding boss in RZ.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Yeah, most of the data from the character bios is stuff that's already obvious. I'm working on the story segments, but there are a few things that are tripping me up.
Subterranean Sun

Some new discoveries:

Misteltoes are some sort of intelligent, flying battle-plants in translucent flowerpots. As crazy as it sounds. This technology was invented by the ancient civilization.

Minogame was created by a religion organization as an immortal paragon of Buddhism.

Kagura's full name is Kaguramaru. She is female. She is unable to talk but can use telepathy to communicate with others.

The unnamed 771 is Lost Property 771 in human form.

Four kids are buried under Garland to power it.

The main technology used in Hellsinker is some sort of particle called "wisp". By directing a large mass of wisps in a single direction they can do a lot of things. Such as blowing up stuffs. And flying.
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

Subterranean Sun wrote:Four kids are buried under Garland to power it.
HS invented troll science
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Subterranean Sun wrote: Minogame was created by a religion organization as an immortal paragon of Buddhism.

Kagura's full name is Kaguramaru. She is female. She is unable to talk but can use telepathy to communicate with others.
Yup, got both of these. Other than that, what the hell?
Observer

Post by Observer »

Subterranean Sun wrote:The main technology used in Hellsinker is some sort of particle called "wisp". By directing a large mass of wisps in a single direction they can do a lot of things. Such as blowing up stuffs. And flying.
And offering the greatest on-LSD induced experience in a schmukmup.

Anyway, interesting findings. Slowly but surely, the crazy cryptic story behind the TOTAL KARMA COMPRESSOR SYSTEM NAMED "GARLAND" unveils.

About Kagura, yeah, you could tell it was the female version of Alphonse Elric, heh. In a doujinshi I have, TARGET 2 by Quarter Iceshop, you can see fan depictions of the woman behind the powered assault armor/spirit armor/whatever it is.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.