Hellsinker English patch RELEASED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Zaarock

Re: Hellsinker English patch RELEASED!

Post by Zaarock »

MathU wrote:Does Minogame really have one of the highest scoring potentials? I'm really not so sure about that. A Minogame player has the second highest score right now after a Dead Liar player, but that may simply be due to selection bias. Minogame cannot take advantage of a particular trick using Mistletoes or Kagura's armor for full collection of spirit crystals at the end of the Shrine of Farewell; the most you can usually get is about 3/4 of them. This is a huge difference in potential earnings when accessing the shrine late in the game compared to the other three character selections with such item-gathering devices.
The top two runs seem fairly close to optimal, I don't see how there could be a 'huge' difference in potential earnings just because of shrine. Deadliar is less popular than minogame though indeed. Kagura with throwable armor isn't a high scoring type

Minogame has second best at least, fossilmaiden is easy to use for scoring(because you can attack/raise values in all directions, and you have a non-damaging bomb) but she can't raise the values of enemies as rapidly as deadliar or minogame and gets less grazing points so she gets less points in all stages. The reason her scores are pretty close is because she can get like 15,000 more spirits from the last boss than the others, but there isn't really much optimization to be done for that fight.
Last edited by Zaarock on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Zaarock wrote:
MathU wrote:Does Minogame really have one of the highest scoring potentials? I'm really not so sure about that. A Minogame player has the second highest score right now after a Dead Liar player, but that may simply be due to selection bias. Minogame cannot take advantage of a particular trick using Mistletoes or Kagura's armor for full collection of spirit crystals at the end of the Shrine of Farewell; the most you can usually get is about 3/4 of them. This is a huge difference in potential earnings when accessing the shrine late in the game compared to the other three character selections with such item-gathering devices.
The top two runs seem fairly close to optimal, I don't see how there could be a 'huge' difference in potential earnings just because of shrine. Deadliar is less popular than minogame though indeed. Kagura with throwable armor isn't a high scoring type

Minogame has second best at least, fossilmaiden is easy to use for scoring(because you can attack/raise values in all directions) but she can't raise the values of enemies as rapidly as deadliar or minogame and gets less grazing points so she gets less points in all stages. The reason her scores are pretty close is because she can get like 15,000 more spirits from the last boss than the others, but there isn't really much optimization to be done for that fight.
fossil maiden has ultimate grazing.
whenever you see a laser wave coming, just use the invincible bomb and stand still and watch the spirits rise.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

GradiusuiraD wrote:
nasty_wolverine wrote:Deadliar's shot powers down pretty fast, although not as fast as kagura xanthel but recovery is a bit slower than xanthel. His options 2 throw attacks are a bit confusing and slightly difficult to use. but to make up for that his shot has moderate to high power (if using penetrating attack), the options do slow but steady damage, and his bomb gives him a split second invincibility which is useful for positioning, and also one of the more powerful of the other characters (I think second to xanthel point blank laser bomb). easy to learn but difficult to master.[/size]
Are you aware that he has a freaking charge attack?
Ah... forgot about that. I only played with deadliar before unlocking kagura (only use moon cradle and xanthel, thats reminds me a xanthel clear is still pending). I ll put an explain it here for anyone looking.

In addition to the above, he has a sword attack which activated when holding down shot. has 3 levels, when first activated at level 1 does moderate damage, but this can be skillfully chained to big amounts of damage. at level 2 (after a five second charge) does good damage, few of these can take down a boss pretty quick. at level 3 (at an absurd 60 second of charge) can one shot bosses. this is the most powerful normal attack in the game, second only to kagura xanthel point blank laser (possibly as powerful or even more, but I havent really tested it out that way). but as a downside, no shot is available during charge. that means you are only restricted to aura damage and sub weapons. fun fact, the swords are actually attached to his wrist, he dual wields them, and is famous in game universe to be the most effective at using them.

edit: there are actually 4 levels of the charge sword. first when activates, second about a second or two in (you can chain this easy), third after five or so seconds, fourth at 60 seconds.
Last edited by nasty_wolverine on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

GradiusuiraD wrote:
Zaarock wrote:

Minogame has second best at least, fossilmaiden is easy to use for scoring(because you can attack/raise values in all directions) but she can't raise the values of enemies as rapidly as deadliar or minogame and gets less grazing points so she gets less points in all stages. The reason her scores are pretty close is because she can get like 15,000 more spirits from the last boss than the others, but there isn't really much optimization to be done for that fight.
fossil maiden has ultimate grazing.
whenever you see a laser wave coming, just use the invincible bomb and stand still and watch the spirits rise.
btw, you can do this with minogame as well using the invincibility trick. being a trick, its trickier to use.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Quick note in case anyone's interested: I decided to try updating to Windows 8.1, and it does indeed appear to fix whatever was preventing the translated release of Hellsinker from running on "regular" Windows 8.

Now to attempt to figure out what in heaven's name is going on with this game...
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I just ignore other characters/shot types and focus on improving my own score and comparing with other players who use the same. Unfortunately Kagura-3 isn't widely used on the 'boards here or on the replay-based board, which means I don't have much competition.

I've tried to use Deadliar several times but his playstyle requires some serious getting used to. Fossil Maiden has no slow speed which is a bit of a turnoff for me. Minogame's lack of directional attacks coupled with a fast-draining main shot doesn't really appeal to me.

I could see myself using Kagura-1 and 2; the latter's armor attack is kinda fun to use. The one thing that turns me off from using 4 is that Luna tokens don't reload its ammo.
mauve

Post by mauve »

BulletMagnet wrote:Quick note in case anyone's interested: I decided to try updating to Windows 8.1, and it does indeed appear to fix whatever was preventing the translated release of Hellsinker from running on "regular" Windows 8.

Now to attempt to figure out what in heaven's name is going on with this game...
yeah, i wish i could have done something about that, sorry!

and now i have had more work put on my plate to do so i will be rappelling off a cliff now
MathU

Post by MathU »

So... What's the story on hosting that standalone patch of the latest translation version somewhere, mauve? Are we ever going to get that or did we have to buy the bundled English version for it?

It'd be kind of a shame if those of us who imported the game originally were stuck with the older translation.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Um... the patch has been on Gensokyo.org for the longest time.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
MathU

Post by MathU »

That's an older version of the patch, 1.1. An update was made for their Groupees Doujin Bundle 2 release but mauve never released the standalone patch (that I'm aware of anyway).
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

MathU wrote:That's an older version of the patch, 1.1. An update was made for their Groupees Doujin Bundle 2 release but mauve never released the standalone patch (that I'm aware of anyway).
This sucks so bad. I missed out on that bundle and I regret it so much. :(
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
mauve

Post by mauve »

Would you guys believe me if I said I've been so busy/occupied/insane this year that I completely forgot?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Considering I've had short-term goldfish-equivalent memory for the last year or so and as a result forgot far more important real life stuff, yep. :P
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

MathU wrote:That's an older version of the patch, 1.1. An update was made for their Groupees Doujin Bundle 2 release but mauve never released the standalone patch (that I'm aware of anyway).
So what's the status of translated Hellsinker right now? They did the english-translated groupees bundle, but is anyone else selling a translated version now? In a perfect would companies like Rockin Android and Nyu Media would be having knife fights over the rights to this game.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

Hey guys, cool if I bump this old thread? Five years ago I tried to recreate some of the backgrounds from the game's menu themes, "A Thing Left Behind" in particular. But I could only make static images.
Cadrin wrote:
MathU wrote:What I would really like is animated GIFs of those things spinning.
Me too, friend, me too. One day... (That would have to be a really large .gif, though.)
That day has come, I made an animated version. A gif would have been unfeasible, but I have a 1080p60 mp4 loop, here: https://my.mixtape.moe/phfwrh.mp4 I messed up the looping a little, and some the colors are slightly off, but I think it looks acceptable. I hope some of you will like it.
You can use Wallpaper Engine, a cheap desktop ricing app for Windows available on Steam, to set this video as your desktop wallpaper.
To be continued. See you false memory syndrome...
MathU

Post by MathU »

Haha, excellent! Got that in lossless video form by chance? What I'd really love now is an animated PNG of it... :P
Cadrin

Post by Cadrin »

MathU wrote:What I'd really love now is an animated PNG of it... :P
LOL

I could probably fix up a lossless video. However, this is something I made in HTML and some CSS, so you can run this on any modern browser and tweak it to your heart's content, so here are the files: https://mega.nz/#!UuI2iQgZ!7R4SgIQgAB7I ... xg9OH_1YBk
EDIT: many years later (2022), I've made a version 2, which relies less on external images and does more of the colouring via CSS, allowing for easier customisation:
https://mega.nz/file/xu4B0SLD#Q6MQ0Mtyn ... YPZvDsFiIc
You can also use this site as a web wallpaper in Wallpaper Engine instead of a video. I plan to publish it in the app eventually for all to use, but knowing my tendency to being a lazy piece of shit, I will abandon that effort halfway, so here's what I've got so far before I give up. It scales nicely with most resolutions, though wider ones leave empty black spaces on the sides.
Last edited by Cadrin on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be continued. See you false memory syndrome...
Abadd

Post by Abadd »

Hey all. Anyone notice any compatibility issues with W10? I noticed that the music synchronization seems to be off. The BGM stutters at certain points like the Rusted Dragon fight or Segment 5.