shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:58 pm 

I'm new to this board and yeah- I'm a total n00b when it comes to shmups. A 43-year old virgin... :mrgreen:
I've known about this board for years, but never fiund a reason to join it until now.

Been gaming since around 86/87 when I discovered Wonder Boy and Rygar (personal favorite game of all time- just a little bit ahead of STALKER :) ) in the arcades. I have to say though- I've never liked shmups before. They were always sort of "boring" for me so I couldn't understand the fuss.

That was until recently with a little game I remember everyone of note playing in the arcades back then- Raiden!
Although I didn't like shmups back then, I was a little bit envious whenever I saw someone with skill finish it and doing it well. I was quite skilled with Rygar- the best in my arcade, but all the "cool guys" were playing that game.

Back to 2019- I was searching for new challenges recently and for some reason I felt compelled to try Raiden. Been playing MAME games for almost 2 decades, but I never really tried it- or any shmup for that matter. I fired it up and at first, I thought- "This feels okay"; so I continued playing... Pretty soon it was the wee hours of the morning and I had played, died and restarted for 3/4 hours in-between lots of coffee! :mrgreen:

I WAS HOOKED!
Pretty soon I wanted to check out what other shmups were out there. I "discovered" Cho Ren Sha while compiling a collection of boxart for the x68000 emulator on Retroarch. Same weird thing happened as with Raiden! Time stood still for a few hours!

In any case, I joined up here to check out, and to be a part of this community.
I'm really enjoying this new "direction" sofar! Been having a "blast" playing those 2 games!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:42 am 

Hello, my name is RJ.

Grew up in the 80's, my grandfather owned an arcade business. My uncles are still running it to some degree- but mostly transitioned to small games of chance and atm's.

Looking back, it was pretty amazing. Had free tokens when my mom worked at the arcade and the coin doors were always open in the garage. Certainly pilfered quite a few quarters from those cabinets as well, there was always some that didn't quite make it to the tray.

Anyway just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've been lurking a while but recenlty picked up a crt tv-- wanted to rgb mod it but seems it's a newer model with i2c so not sure it'll work.

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:50 am 

Hello, TotalEconomist here.

Long time shumps fan, looking to buy my own boards now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 am 

Hi all.
Born in ‘81 and spent my youth playing NES and in awe of arcade machines. About a year ago I got into building my own machine and the BYOAC forums. Been lurking here because I want to do an RGB mod and build a vertical arcade machine, loving playing 240p on my existing cab but it doesn’t handle vertical very well or at all. Now if the mods would release my post in the hardware forums I could keep forging on :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:04 pm 

Born in '81 as well, shmup fan since the early 2000s and have been revisiting this particular game genre since then. Into both arcade and console real hardware or emulation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:03 pm 

Hi, I go by Nine. Have only been playing for about a month. I normally just play fighting games, but something finally clicked and now I'm shmup crazy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:41 pm 

Hi there, I've always had some interest in shmups but didn't knew that existed a community dedicated to the genre. Happy to found you guys out.
Greetings for Portugal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 pm 

Hello! My name is Emily. I am new to the world of forums. But I have been playing games for a long time. Please do not judge strictly if I express my point of view incorrectly or in the wrong threads

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:32 pm 

Hey all, Im Joe.. lurked around here for a while but decided to post a bit recently. Im a big fan of arcade style shooters as well as run n guns/twin stick shooters. Lately I have been playing a lot of one of my favorite series.. Metal Slug. Being in the US makes it a bit tricky to play some of the awesome Japanese and PAL shmup libraries from the various consoles. Ive been thinking about grabbing a Japanese PS2 and Xbox one lately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:03 pm 

hkisting wrote:
Been gaming since around 86/87 when I discovered Wonder Boy and Rygar (personal favorite game of all time- just a little bit ahead of STALKER :) ) in the arcades.

AC Rygar is killer - despite sidescrolling action/platformers being my favourite genre, I managed to avoid it all my life for a lack of decent home releases until last year, when I picked up the Arcade Archives version. No arcade experience to compare it with, but those controls seem pinpoint-sharp. I especially like the "stomp anything, even Podoboos" mechanic and the bonus for taking out bosses with it.

Spoiler: show

The juxtaposition of rampant pace and deadly precision gives it a certain STG aspect, I think. Has a fair few accomplished fans on this forum, you're the second I've seen call it their favourite. :smile: I'd put it alongside Saigo no Nindou and Daimakaimura, easily.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:11 pm 

hkisting wrote:
I'm new to this board

I'm a big Stalker fan too, let's hug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:57 pm 

Seems like my posts just get deleted or never actually post :( Anyway trying one more time.

My name is Joe, and I am a long time fan of run n guns, shmups, and other arcade style games. I am a huge Metal Slug and Contra fan, as well as classic shmups. I have very little experience with the hectic Japanese style games, but I am interested in checking some out.

EDIT:
Seems like posts were just waiting to get approved. All good now ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:43 pm 

Hi there!

I love shmups but I don't play them a lot. I have a bunch of them on Steam and played a bunch of them on NeoGeo. I like Mushihimesama, DoDonPachi, Mars Matrix, Touhou, Ikaruga...
I got here in search of an old doujin training game that I lost like 10 years ago.

Greetings from Brazil!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:26 am 

Welcome sllypper!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54