shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:31 am 

Great forum, I always wanted to join - so, here I am.
Started gaming since the seventies on a Pong-console and never really broke with the hobby.
I programmed Scramble as a kid on a ViC-20 in machine code(ugh), moved on to C-16, C-64, C-128, Amiga, Atari etc. ....

Ever since the NES, I really love consoles. I also hate them. They are the reason, Arcades where dying in the west. So to keep my childhood, I bought my first Cab (roughly 20years ago for about 25€), a Zaccaria Super Galaxian. And just recently added one of my favorites: Taito Egret II with a 2Player CP.

Couple of childhood favs: Galaga, Defender and Pitfall - they really ate my coins!

Nowadays, I love (nearly) everything made by Cave. The style, soundtracks, sounds, everything is just great, imo. Although, I have a hard time to 1CC most of them....

Last edited by Furtin72 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:38 pm 

Hey, this forum magically became my top bookmark at work, before that when I was a wee one, Stinger blew my mind(1993), then I didn't play it for 15 years. I got back into it after a stint with LSDJ(2011) and a flash cart reminded me old video games are awesome. The NES carved my heart out of stone and pulled my teeth out with a tractor. An everdrive, a clean ZIF connector and a NES Advantage later, had me digging out every system I ever owned and drooling over arcade setups like a box of fresh donuts. Being a kid in the 90's with a Sega Saturn was tough, in this era it's a bullet soaked blessing. I'm squeezing every bit and having more fun with this genre of gaming than I have had in any of the modern era. I fix various systems from time to time, build cigar box sticks. I get my parts from focus attack being local to that area, and I enjoy "too many games" expo for the past two years where I sit with a friend and credit feed Dodonpachi Daioujou (I usually find the candy cab vaccant, sadly) Research always brings me here, and this time out of the shadows. Thank you, to those who frequent this forum from the beginning, and for giving something to discover as we noobs climb down this rabbit hole.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:44 pm 

welcome, newcomers.
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:32 pm 

Hello all...

I just found this place by looking for some shmups to play. Liked what I saw - cool place - so here I am.

Old man gamer here, 63 years old/young. Got sucked into gaming way back in the late 70's when I saw my first arcade game, Space Invaders. Walked into a bar one day to shoot some pool and there she was. My friends all thought she was weird and didn't give her a 2nd look. They just placed their quarters on the pool table and waited their turn. Me, I popped a quarter into the alien machine and died a quick death. But I was mesmerized none the less. By the end of the night I was a tad bit better, much lighter in pocket change, and completely in love.

Been gaming ever since, never very good, even worse now with my old man reflexes, hands, and eyes - heh. But love the hobby still. Play mostly in Mame, PS4, or PC. Recently picked up Space Invaders Extreme and Dariusburst CS on Steam. DBCS is a great game which lead me to searching for other shmups. Thinking about picking up Battle Garegga 2016 on my PS4 now - shmuping in the recliner sounds appealing. :lol:

Great place here, thanks for having me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 pm 

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to STGs as well! I mostly lurk and I have to say this place is full of interesting people and lots of information!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm 

Hi everyone!

First of all I'd like to introduce myself. And say I'm happy after finding such a forum like this one about shmups.
My name's Jes (Jes Luengo) and a yearand a half ago I founded a small videogames studio. We have been developing an old classic shool shmup since then, and searching for web in order to introduce it to the community ? have found this forum.
I am a big fan for shmups (well, that's the reason we are developing this game :P) but I've never been part of the shmups community, so I'm qute new to this worlds.

I would like to know whether there is a thread in which I could introduce the game, or if I have to request authorization from someone in order to do it. I wouldn't like being expelled as a spammer!

As an anecdote, I want to say that I'm a big fan of Ikaruga, and our game is certainly inspired by it's polarity mechanic (though the gameplay is absolutely different, I swear it!) but indeed, my first shoot'em up was Xenon. I have never known anyone who remembers this game , hopefully someone here will do! (Yes, I'm not so young after all XD)

Best regards!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:50 pm 

Good morning, everyone.

First time truly posting around here, been into shmups since I can remember.

After such a long spring, I finally got things together in my life where I can save up some change and achieve the dream of getting some actual arcade hardware of the games I love to play. My roommates are hardcore arcade enthusiasts and as time's gone on, I have also started helping add to the collection and sharing a supergun and other consoles with each other has proved to be a great success when doing get-togethers and casuals and tournaments locally or around during some major events.

Part of growing up involved the nostalgic charm of the memories I made playing many classics in one way or another, particularly Giga Wing and Mars Matrix, and with these games I expanded to the older and newer games that held a place in the echelon of great classics not limited to just shmups. One of those things it also built was the curiosity of how to obtain the means of playing these games and what it took to actually play them in their authentic shape. MAME spoiled me when I finally "discovered" it though most of those games needed more than just chump change to get them, so MAME and other things tided me over till then.

Hopefully, I can grow and start getting deeper into the hobby and lifestyle of maintaining and collecting and maybe even begin restoring old classic PCBs and cartidges and the like of games as they were meant to be played just like back in the day.

I recently got the DARKSOFT CPS2 board and A-board and borrowing my friend's custom built Supergun and I couldn't be happier being able to play Giga Wing and Mars Matrix again, letting me rekindle my determination to seriously get good at these games and do both the playing as well as getting into the hardware aspect of the arcade world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am 

Hi guys,
I'm a big fan of shmups, particularly on arcade hardware :) I also enjoy doing mods and repairs and would love to get involved in the community here

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 pm 

Hello!

My name is Rick, I'm from Indianapolis, and have been doing the shmups thing for a few years now. I've got a few good arcade PCBs and have gone through quite a few in trades too. Always looking for more! I just ordered a Vewlix clone through someone shipping a container over, and I'm looking forward to getting that going. I'd like to get into some of the Cave shooters, I've been doing Psikyo, Irem, and Seibu up until now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:17 am 

Hello

Loved playing in the arcades in the 80´s and 90´s and looking to get into this again :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm 

Hello!

Been lurking for a while and finally decided to join.
i've been into shmups for probably about for a while but was never really all that serious about it, recently i got some nice CRTs and i've been going wild.

the first game i ever played was a shmup actually. i watched my mom 1cc gradius 3 for snes all the time.

that's it i guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm 

Welcome, recent new members!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 pm 

Always good to see new blood on the farm. Welcome !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 pm 

Hello! I lurked for a while and only recently became more active. I found this site after all of the cool guides and threads started being posted here after assemblergames was down, starting with the gscartsw thread.

Favorite shmups include Galaga (can't pass this one up), radiant silvergun, R-type, anything that lets me play for a while before getting too difficult.

So far I've found this to be a great forum, full of helpful experts willing to share their knowledge. I hope to contribute more myself soon. Check out my website in signature and thanks for having me!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:55 am 

Welcome aboard! I too lurked this forum for its strategy threads etc. for a while before joining.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am 

Welcome all new shumpfarmers! Lovely to see regular fresh blood pouring in.

I haven't shmupped now in a long time (since I got my Vive in June 2016...), but I still lurk here on a regular basis.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:29 am 

Hey! I'm Will from Michigan; this forum was super helpful in trying to plan the retro collection that I'm setting up, so I figured I should probably join.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:46 pm 

Hi guys,

I just joined today after recently getting back into the scene again. Hope to find some games I've always wanted to own!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:13 am 

Hi! Really sucks that a lot of games are significantly more expensive than they used to be...

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but shouldn't this thread be a sticky?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:53 am 

Hi - Vintage UK (Northern Irish) gamer here. Been reading these forums for years as they’re full of interesting info. Felt I could (finally) contribute to a thread so here I am.

Own (or have owned) every system you can imagine, spend far too much money on games (all genres)

Enjoy playing Shmups but I’m not fantastic at them.

For the community - keep posting interesting stuff.
For the Admins - thanks for keeping it running.

JunKSter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 am 

Greetings everyone stumbled onto this wonderful place because of the abundant knowledge present. Figured I'd make an account. Honestly was never really into shooters most of my life. I mean I played them here and there through my gaming life, life force on nes, darius gaiden on saturn ect. But had a son this year that I was raising by myself and I no longer had the time to invest long hours in story heavy rpgs so had to find a genre I could pick up and play in short bursts so bought a pc engine with r type and the rest is history. Recently started to gain an interest in arcade hardware and this seemed like a great place for info about that too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

I've been lurking for a while and decided it was time to join. I live in Sweden and for the past few years my CRT collection has grown and almost become an obsession. I'm fortunate to own a BVM D24, along with several other PVMs, JVCs and "prosumer" Trinitrons and BangOlufsens. Reading all the hardware threads here has helped a lot. I only use a few game consoles, NES, SNES, PS1, Saturn and Neo Geo. Getting the best possible picture from each console is an ongoing struggle. I'm not much of a shmups fan, but I do play Radiant Silvergun occasionally ... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:30 am 

Hi, I'm a retro game fan and I've recently started collecting arcade PCBs. I enjoy playing shmups, so I figured I would join as this forum is a great resource. I'm currently on the look out for a Vewlix cab and Cave PCBs :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm 

Hi all,

Just saying hello!

I'm interested in Arcades, Consoles and Pugs! :mrgreen:
Supergun: Home Arcade System 'HAS'

Last edited by Cheatinn on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:28 am 

Hi all, i'm here because thos board is helping me a loro with mods and hardware in general!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 pm 

Hey all,

I am a shmup enthusiast and I just recently launched a YouTube channel with a big focus on shooters. You can find them on the reviews board, but my channel is Secret Character Studios. I am all about sharing good games and talking game design. I'm also on Twitter at @scs_jonah.

Looking to learn a lot from the forum and find recommendations for new shmups to play. I also love fighting games and arcade games in general.

Are there any good discord groups for shmups or arcade games? I am on r/shmups but want to reach more of the community.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: hey guys, i'm new here
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm 

so, today in my android phone, i installed the shmup game "Danmaku Death" and it got me addicted. can you tell me some good shmup games for pc? thanks

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: hey guys, i'm new here
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:43 pm 

Welcome to the forums. There are tons of great shmups on PC - are you looking strictly for danmaku/bullet hell style, or are you open to more? There are a lot of threads here about various games, so make good use of the Search function, and you'll find more shooters than you can play. Also, if you have Steam, just searching the term 'shmup' on there will come up with several pages of games, most of which have a trailer you can check out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: hey guys, i'm new here
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:53 pm 

espX wrote:
can you tell me some good shmup games for pc? thanks

Mushihimesama
Crimzon Clover
Raiden IV

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Hello everyone
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:58 pm 

Been reading this forum since i join in 2014 but never introduce myself,big shmup & beat en all fan (THE 2 best gaming genre EVER) from Quebec City,Canada.Big Neo Geo & PGM lover too.Thanks to everybody on this forum,lots of awesome topic and BTW Toaplan4ever!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next