The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jkwon23

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by jkwon23 »

Hi, everyone! My name is Jin, and a few guys from STGWeekly introduced me to shmups from Puente Hills Rounds 1 TGM2015 test location meet. Nice to meet you!
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi there, I'm Mark and I've just joined. I wouldn't say I've lurked much, but I've certainly nosed around a bit before.

Let's see - I grew up in the arcades in the early 80s, so my first love are things like Mad Planets, 1942 and Robotron. I loved the rise in number of shmups that came with the PS2 and then surprisingly the 360, and I've got a fairly decent collection on those systems, including some Japanese imports. I'm not very good at most of them, mind - I just really enjoy playing them. More recent favourites would have to be the really obvious Gradius V and Ikaruga then.

I have a question and a confession. The main reason I joined was to post about a Kickstarter for my game - it's based on the 8bit classic Thrust, only features a lot more shooting. I think some folk here might like it.

Would it be OK to start a new post for it somewhere, and if so where?

If not, is there an existing place to post to?

I don't want to annoy anyone on my first day.

Thanks.

Mark
Lobinden

Post by Lobinden »

jkwon23 wrote:Hi, everyone! My name is Jin, and a few guys from STGWeekly introduced me to shmups from Puente Hills Rounds 1 TGM2015 test location meet. Nice to meet you!
The STGWeekly guys are really great, I'm glad to know that they are successful in getting newcomers and broadening peoples' horizons.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

MarkN wrote:I have a question and a confession. The main reason I joined was to post about a Kickstarter for my game - it's based on the 8bit classic Thrust, only features a lot more shooting. I think some folk here might like it.

Would it be OK to start a new post for it somewhere, and if so where?

If not, is there an existing place to post to?

I don't want to annoy anyone on my first day.

Thanks.

Mark
Welcome, the best place to post that would be in a new thread in the Development subforum.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ShmupFan75

Post by ShmupFan75 »

Hey everyone! My name is Fred and I've been a lurker for years and frequent the forums by way of NeoGeo.com. Registered last year but finally am finding time to be online here. Rather new to Shmups and am starting off with MAME to get a taste of what to purchase and for what systems.

Thank you!
Faenrir

Post by Faenrir »

Hello i'm Faenrir !
Been a video games fan for...quite some time now. I'm 32 years old and started playing on amstrad CPC-64 ^^
The shmups i've played the most (and like the most) are mostly oldies from my youth and great arcade games such as R-Type, Xenon II, Tyrian, Donpachi, Raiden, Ikaruga (even though i'm really really bad at it haha), Afterburner (the arcade was AMAZING!!)...and probably a lot more i forget to mention heh.
Been lurking for a bit but i wanted to wait until the game i'm developing was progressed enough to post about it. Hope you guys will like it and if not...well i'm working hard so i hope in the end, a lot will like it haha :D
Cheers !
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome to the fold kids. Enjoy your stay.
My lord, I have come for you.
dozicusmaximus

Post by dozicusmaximus »

Howdy!
Pretty new to the genre, besides playing a few games in the in the 90s and other older arcades. Downloaded Mamorukun Curse! the other day. It's a great looking game, fun and hard (well to me anyway).
I was googling around trying to find some other games in the genre for PS3... Which looks like there isn't much. A lot of my research lead me back here. So I figured I'd join and most likely lurk.
I might get a 360 and pick up some of these other releases. I'll keep playing Mamorukun Curse and figure out which games I want to download Gradius V, Castle Shikigami 2, Raiden IV or just buy Caladrius Blaze.
Anyways, nice to be here.
alf81

Post by alf81 »

Hello everyone!

I have been aware of this forum for ages but never dared to register og even worse - participate. Over the years my knowledge has grown and now I have finally decided to join you die hard enthusiastic snobs!

I have always been playing them, but not _playing them_ playing them. For me it all first really started in the mid nineties, when I read a review of Layer Section in a Gamefan magazine. While everyone around me were going mental over 3D graphics, I thought Layer Section was one of the lost beautiful games I have ever seen! From then on it has just escalated. Besides my fair console and retro game collection, I got my first arcade cabinet in the early 00's and since the number of PCB's (and cabinets) and especially shoot 'em ups has gone remarkable up :shock:

I love good games. I really really like 2D graphics.
DangerousBryan

Post by DangerousBryan »

Hi, everyone! Been lurking around here occasionally, mainly just to research info on CRT TVs and retro gaming. Thought I'd take the time to register and see what else I can get out of this site!
popnmusic

Post by popnmusic »

Hi everyone, I'm a new member but I'm looking this forum since a while. I'm mainly play Cave and psykio shmups. i just try to 1cc them in general, only my brother try to score them.. May be any of you know him (Username= Huu) he has some honorable scores on cave's games..
We are french so sorry if my english isnt very good..
2huwman

Post by 2huwman »

Hi everyone! The first shmup I was any good at was scramble on the vectrex. Then astro warrior and rtype on the SMS. And now anything I can play on my astro city (especially battle bakraid, but I'm crap). Looking to purchase some nice vertical PCBs. Bo!
city41

Post by city41 »

hey everyone, I've been lurking here for many years. Figured I'd finally get off my ass and start posting too. I'm out in the San Jose area, and in my free time I enjoy playing shooting games.
whoisJSR

Post by whoisJSR »

My name is James, and I'm new to the online scene. I'm very interested in modding and restoring old NES and SNES systems, as well as N64, Genesis/Mega Drive, and more. I'm also a die-hard gamer of both retro and current games... currently playing Destiny and SkyForge, and waiting impatiently for Fallout 4.

HELLO ALL! :D
DoubleDash

Post by DoubleDash »

Howdy!! My name is Lucas, and I've been playing / watching video games ever since I can remember ( for about 17 years now ) .
My first shmup was Aero Fighters, I spent so much money playing that on the arcades! Then I got into Pocky & Rocky, it's not exactly a Shmup but it's pretty much hell, haha.

I'm ashamed to say that the Shmup genre has been one of my all time favorites, but I never actually tried to join any kind of community that revolved about that type of game. It was my loss, I believe. But now I'm here! I work as an animator and game designer, and I'm actually working on a Shmup-based project right now :)
Feel free to check it out, all feedback is welcome: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54602

I hope I can get to learn a lot from you guys, become a better Shmup player, and manage to create something worthy of your attention. It's an honor to be here!
Noid

Post by Noid »

Hello everyone!

I have been a huge fan of shmups for years, but only in the last few have I grown to seriously try at them. Growing up they were these arcade games that I'd toss a dollar into and suck at and game over on the first level, but it was still fun. In the last year or so I decided to really hone my shmup game and get me some high scores, 1CC and maybe even no-miss some games (I know what that means now!), and generally just become really good at them.

I'm no shmup god by any means, but I intend to do my best! Right now I'm playing Caladrius Blaze, which I imported from Japan, and am having a blast. I'm actually writing a trophy guide for it over on playstationtrophies.org, which is where I spend most of my forum time. I've come across this forum a number of times in my journey to being decent at shmups, so figured joining up was the next logical step in my evolution!

Some shmups I enjoy:
  • Caladrius Blaze!
  • Jamestown
  • Raiden
  • Sine Mora
  • Astebreed
  • Tyrian
I've played more, but those are the ones that come top-of-mind right now. :)
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Noid wrote:Caladrius Blaze
Yay another Caladrius fan :D

Go forth and slaughter:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45799

If you need any advice on it ask me, and you can add my PSN accounts too if you want to compare leaderboard scores (ACSeraph [US] ACSNovabot [JP])
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
mann0mann

New from NorCal

Post by mann0mann »

Hi there. Name is Mike Mann...new member to this board

Just picked up a Sega NAC candy cab. Been a longtime fan if shmups...hoping to utilize the candy for that

Longtime member on byoac, very active on KLOV...currently have about 12 woody cabs. All restored and working condition. Very active in preserving the arcade history

Look forward to being part of this community!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome Mike!
My lord, I have come for you.
GhostGK

Wannabe game developer & shmup fan!

Post by GhostGK »

Hello! New guy here..
I've lurked around this forum from time to time, for anything Shmups related (ofcuz!)
But, now, I've finally man up & joined the community here!

My history with shmups or games in general starts at SNES era.
I'm not the most devoted Shmup player, but i've enjoyed most of the famous ones & decent ones on systems I own.
I also love the innovative Shmups that comes out of the indie boon.

Now, I'm self-learning to become a game designer & I want to make a proper space shooter as my first big project..
I hope to get along with everyone & learn a lot about making/playing Shmups! :D
Barba

Post by Barba »

Good day everyone,

I'm new. I'm also relatively old. I repair my own joysticks, cook a mean chili and even though I play and enjoy a lot of vertical shmups my most beloved game was and still is... Progear. Yes, I'm that guy.

Despite that, I hope I can bring something constructive to this community 8)

Have a good one..
Makido

Post by Makido »

Hi guys. I'm Makido and I'm really bad at shmups.
Dirty Casual

Post by Dirty Casual »

Hello! My hobbies include lurking on shmup forums and playing the Turbo Star Soldier games. I recently picked up Metal Black for a challenge. I will conclude my introductory message with words of sage wisdom: don't pee into the wind.
kayakoyaka

Post by kayakoyaka »

Hello everyone! A shmup beginner here.

R-Type Delta was one of my favorite games growing up, but numerous attempts at getting acquainted with the genre ended up failing. Someone suggested emulation, and I think the problem for me was having access to 90% of the games and not being able to concentrate on any single game. That and I was more of a fighter & RTS gamer, but I have no interest in competitive multiplayer games anymore. So here I am, making another attempt at getting into the genre I know I really like. I think the last shmup I've played until I got good enough to 1cc was Gradius V, which I actually have a copy of. Not that I'm being condescending to emulation users, but I swore off emulation entirely! No more. My computer is emulator & rom free. What a relief.

I do not have the xbox360 as I imagine most of you guys would recommend a newcomer, but again, having too many options may not be the best for me. So I've ordered Caladrius Blaze and Ketsui since I only have the PS3 with me. I intend to start playing seriously once those games are in my hands. I did download Soldner-X2 for the time being, but I can't say I'm impressed at all. One concern I have is that vertical vs horizontal issue. Both R-Type Delta and Gradius V were horizontal, and I think I'm fairly adept at those games, but my limited exposure to vertical scrolling games weren't so kind. Games like Ikaruga kicked my ass into submission... I am hoping I can improve with some practice.

Anyways, I apologize for the long introduction. Hope I can get my feet wet quick and engage in meaningful conversations with you guys soon.
Mania23

Post by Mania23 »

Hi all,

Just joined the forum. I've been playing Shumps for a while now. I just play them constantly. My first game was Raptor Call of the Shadows on PC. Great game that. I've also recently got into the Arcade world of shumps.

I'm currently playing Donpachi. Holy shit that game is awesome!. Ikaruga, WOW!. Also a fan of Darius Gaiden, which I have on the Sega Saturn. I mainly come from a fighting games background, MK, Soul Calibur, Tekken series. I fancied a change of genre. The next feat once I've completed Donpachi, is DodonPachi then Harmful Park.
Adaptation is the key to victory :D
nekketsu

Post by nekketsu »

kayakoyaka wrote:Someone suggested emulation, and I think the problem for me was having access to 90% of the games and not being able to concentrate on any single game. .
That's exactly my problem too, though I haven't entirely sworn off the curse of MAME just yet.

Ketsui should kick your ass worse than Ikaruga btw :lol:
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I have an easier time with Ketsui's first loop then Ikaruga.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
nekketsu

Post by nekketsu »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I have an easier time with Ketsui's first loop then Ikaruga.
Hmm well I've only really played Ikaruga for survival so my take on it might be a bit skewed. We can probably agree that Ketsui ain't easy, at least.
Lemone

Post by Lemone »

Hello all,

I am Lemone. I remember playing the original Gradius on NES at a friend's house when I was a kid and not getting the hype. Perhaps not the best lead-in to my recent change of heart towards shooters as I still don't really get Gradius... I do, however, have a very new love for shmups that can only have begun a year or so ago. In the time since, I have picked up a Japanese Saturn and a handful of the suggested titles and have been particularly blown away by Battle Garegga. I also am quite in love with Harmful Park and am grateful for it as it is the only shooter I have ever been able to get the Mrs. to play with me. I just need to track down a physical copy and impulse buy it.

Oh, I also suck at shmups. A lot of people say that but I have never finished a shmup. Oh, except Ketsui - on free play - and it was still a nightmare. It likely would have cost me close to $1000 in the arcade if such a place existed in Vancouver.

None of my friends play shmups (or video games, really) so I am excited to chat with some people who share my new found passion and maybe get some tips (Icarus has already been a godsend).
MochaFrappes

Yet, im a friggin new member...

Post by MochaFrappes »

Cuz why not? Im wishing to try out other shmups other than Touhou!

Now, info about me.

Jackie
Proficient at Touhou 10 and 11