The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MashBoss

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by MashBoss »

New user...looking to buy/trade stuff for Naomi Universal system. Hoping someone can clue me in as to when/how I'm eligible to see the For Sale forum.
threeseven

Post by threeseven »

Hi, I'm from the western U.S.
I have been into arcade games, shmups, and tech for a long time now.
I suspect this is a place for me.
Phantomas

Post by Phantomas »

Hi!

I'm César from Spain.
I am a passionate shmups player since I was very young and I like all kinds of genres, from the most classic to the danmaku.
I registered years ago for my love of the shmups, but I don´t speak English very well and for that reason I didn't write in the forum, but for me it has always been a reference and I hope it continues being so for many years :)
I'll try to participate more around here anyway.

Cheers to all!
ZeroNoin

Post by ZeroNoin »

Hi, I registered here about 3 years ago, and decided I better make my first post and start getting into conversations here.
In addition to shmups, I enjoy a variety of genres, and I am into a lot of technical stuff such as PCB's, video converters, arcade hardware, controllers, and programming.
I live in Salt Lake.
Doggy D

Post by Doggy D »

Hi Shmupers,

I'm Doggy D from Belgium.

My oldest shmup experiences (by memory) are : Space Invaders (small cabinet toy), Tiger Heli (NES) and 1942 (arcade)

My 10 biggest "Coups de foudre" are : Dodonpachi, Blazing Star, Batsugun, Twin Cobra, Thunder Force III, Battle Garegga, Mushihimesama, Parodius, Raiden Fighters 2 and Ketsui (even It hates me...)

I play on arcade, PC and original consoles (Neo Geo Aes, PC Engine, etc. to PS4).

My best performance : 1CC on Dodonpachi

My best IRL shmup souvenir : Stunfest 2019 (Rennes, France)

That's all folks ! :D
Carpe diem
danmakujira

Post by danmakujira »

hey all,

I'm Ethan from the US currently based in the Philippines.

I've been playing shmups since I was kid, but at this stage I would just consider myself 'competent' at them.
My faves are Guwange, Dodonpachi, Crimson Clover (OG), and Fire Shark.

Looking forward to meeting you all and discussing shmups!
Vasteeler

Post by Vasteeler »

Hello!
I'm Vasteeler, form Italy.
Old videogamer, shoot'em up fan since the beginning, starting with the great Thunder Force IV.
Recently digging vertical bullet hell and now my favourites are Dodonpachi and Battle Garegga.
Currently building a new arcade stick. LS23 forever!
bobasaurus

Post by bobasaurus »

I just became interested in this genre a few months ago after stumbling across some mention of shmups on reddit. I realized that I already had crimzon clover and jamestown in my steam library from previous bundles/sales and decided to give them a try. And I found them really fun, especially the super-satisfying double break in crimzon clover. I mostly play on PC, but I have a few older consoles too. I was lucky enough to already own mars matrix on the dreamcast before it became expensive. I fired it up and have been enjoying the game. After some steam sales and other bundles my collection has grown. My current favorites are:

graze counter
crimzon clover
ikaruga
dodonpachi resurrection
danmaku unlimited 2/3
mushihimesama
neko navy
sky force reloaded
trouble witches
mars matrix
jamestown

If anyone has recommendations for other games similar to the above, please let me know. I hope to pick up mushihimesama futari and gradius v someday, both are expensive though. Graze counter is my current favorite, I really love the grazing laser mechanics. Bought Steel Vampire this morning, we'll see how it is.
seacow

Post by seacow »

Hi, I'm just joining for hardware questions and because my friend gave me Crimson Clover a few years ago and I finally want to beat it. Maybe score but doubtful. I'm not a stg player but I always liked Gradius and older horizontal stgs without huge bullet patterns to dodge and autofire powered up that annihilates everything in the line of fire. Not that I dislike them either.
Badaud

Post by Badaud »

Hi to all :D

Warm greetings from Europe.

My first memory of shmup is Lifeforce.

The endurance I put to play has changed with the past years.

Today I use it mostly for the creation of medias.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome to the fold peoples.
My lord, I have come for you.
SirRicho

Post by SirRicho »

Hi,

I'm a developer with a keen interest in reproducing 80's coin-op games...

Shooters are my favourite genre, including: ASO, 1942, Slap Fight, Xevious, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Galaga, Terra Cresta and so on and so on ;-)

I've taken a sabbatical to develop a bunch of these types of games - looking forward to contributing to the communiity

_R
Garf

Post by Garf »

Hi there, my name's Garf. I'm from the UAE and I love old shmups. My favorite shmups would be Parodius, and the Nemesis series on MSX. Or even Keio Flying Squadron. :D
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Hi All,

Greetings from the uk :D

I'm a big retro gamer and just started to really get back into SHMUP-ing again after an extended time playing other stuff.

I've gone back to some of the old favourites such as UN Squadron, Fire Shark, Super Aleste and Truxton, plus with the help on the PS store discovering some new (old) games on platforms like the NeoGeo which I'd never played before.

I look forward to contributing to the community!
cocoron

Post by cocoron »

Garf wrote: My favorite shmups would be Parodius, and the Nemesis series on MSX.
Good taste :wink:
Team Andromeda

Post by Team Andromeda »

Hi All, shumps is my fav genre of games, the Saturn my fav gaming system, RAIZING my fav shmups developer and Soukyugurentai my fav shmups.
Also love most other shooters and am a SEGA Die Hard and like all things Xbox.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
one of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure
karapalm

Post by karapalm »

Hello, I'm here to check for some arcade hardware and check for updates on new ports to help me decide if I'm ever going to pull the trigger on buying a Nintendo Switch. I fall in love with the genre all over again each time I go back to Akihabara HEY when I'm in Tokyo.
LagSwitcher

Post by LagSwitcher »

-Hi everybody.
-Hi doctor LagSwitcher.

From Belgium.
Love Light Gun games. To bad most Carny's dropped them.

Love Modding.

Just recently got into Arcade Games. Hope to find good people and knowlegde here.

Greets
lkermel

Post by lkermel »

Hi everyone!
I used to be a member of this forum a long time ago and I'm back! Can't believe so many years passed! Like all people here, I'm an insane shmup fan, my favorite genre by far. I'm also the webmaster of Video Game Den, where I've been reviewing PC Engine, Famicon and Super Famicom games for more that 15 years... gettin' old... time flies... I also make my own video games and I may share some of them here :)

Looking forward to shmup-chatting with all of you again!
McBites

Post by McBites »

Greetings from Central Virginia! Been lurking for a while thought I would join up. I like shmups, noodles and long walks on the beach. :D
JustinOrKevin

Post by JustinOrKevin »

I grew up with Atari 2600, NES and SNES. I liked Yar's Revenge, Zanac, Space Megaforce.

Recently I got interested in games again and tried Espgaluda on my work PC. And DDP. Was impressed.

Got an XU4 and loaded it with all the shmups I could find. Below is a link to my retropie favs list (PDF). Most are shmups. I've highlighted the ones that I saw in the Top 25 list and Honorable Mentions and a few more. It's the best games the XU4 can play (actually the 3 or so Dreamcast ones are stuttery, maybe because it's an XU4Q). I am having a BLAST. And I have a Qanba Drone (I know, not top of the line).

https://docdro.id/0N0WzYs

PEACE AND LOVE :D
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

lkermel wrote:I'm also the webmaster of Video Game Den
Welcome!

Video Game Den is great, I'm always checking it out from time to time!
:)
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

Hi! I'm a lurker on the forum and decided to open an account.

Currently playing through DOJWL.
Noisepurge

Post by Noisepurge »

old Neogeo forums user here, looking for more MVS carts and missing PSX/Megadrive shmups to add to my collection :D
https://vgcollect.com/Noisepurge
insofaras_itself

Post by insofaras_itself »

Hi there, been lurking here for a little while and figured I'd commit. Grew up with NES and Genesis and realized recently how much I missed these games. Have deeply lost interest in modern games, and thought I lost interest in gaming generally until I picked up some classics to play through again.

Currently playing Pulstar and Rolling Gunner.
tomrev

Post by tomrev »

Hi. I'm new here. I registered shmups because modding gbs8200 forums. Modding game hardware is more fun than gaming.
mandarin

Post by mandarin »

Hi!

I'm Thomas, from Oslo, Norway. I work for Apt Games, and we're currently making a shmup inspired game called Terror Squid. You can find more info about the game on our website https://terrorsquid.ink.

When I was a kid, we had a cinema nearby, where they had an arcade cabinet with Chopper by SNK. https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=7334 I loved that game! Later I played a lot of Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
MattCoding

Post by MattCoding »

Hello shmup world!

So I grew up on 1942, R-Type and SWIV so you kinda get where I am at.

Like all programmers of a certain age I longed to make a shmup.

The shmup is such a pure art form, but soooooooo hard to do well, is it too fast, too slow? Too easy, too dull? Trying to balance power ups so they aren't overpowered but still let you deal some damage. Letting the player try different tactics like using cover to hide or ramming an enemy with a power up. Adding slight random twists like enemies sometimes dropping homing missiles or a little burst of shots when they explode - sooooooooooooooo many things that go into the mix of good gameplay!

You can get an idea of pace and visual style here NimbleNaut Shmup Trailer on Youtube

All feedback is very welcome (deep breath) ...
mandarin

Post by mandarin »

Deleted
Last edited by mandarin on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

Yo. Typical shooting fan here. PCE, SAT, PSX, DC are my mainstays, NSW is good modern stuff. CAVE, Naxat and RED make a lot of my favs. よろしくね。
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?