The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cupcakewarrior

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by cupcakewarrior »

Hello, I just joined here a few days ago and I wanted to introduce myself.
While I've known about shmups for a very long time, I didn't get to start playing them seriously until somewhat recently.
I started off with touhou for a while but now I'm ready to start playing arcade shmups.
miso

Post by miso »

Good evening, dear forum members. I have been siphoning off valuable info from this forum for long enough, I felt it was time to start contributing. I will also start one of those fancy 1CC lists (hopefully not only with easy titles :oops: )

Thank you and good night.

Edit: I forgot to mention: The first game I ever cleared in one credit was.. Silkworm (yes), but not in the arcade, I played it on Amiga 500. The port was comparatively good though, unlike other ports from arcade to Amiga.
seraph

Post by seraph »

cupcakewarrior wrote:Hello, I just joined here a few days ago and I wanted to introduce myself.
While I've known about shmups for a very long time, I didn't get to start playing them seriously until somewhat recently.
I started off with touhou for a while but now I'm ready to start playing arcade shmups.
CUPCAKE!!! Guess who it is. Guess.
MetalSluggist

Post by MetalSluggist »

Hi everyone

I am relatively new to this thing but I am a big arcade gaming fan and want to get more stuff and learn.

Especially interested in the market place to quickly grow my collection.
seraph

Post by seraph »

My, such enthusiasm. Undertale is certainly a meme around here but I thought it was a cute little rpg thing (perhaps a tad overrated). Touhou is also a meme but for different reasons, mainly the high amount of testosterone. There are a lotta dadposters here but some of us are younger; I'm 24 and I know good scorers who are even younger than you. It's also a huge sausagefest here and it gets pretty rowdy at times but don't let it discourage you; I am a moderately accomplished lady and I know several more. If you want to 1cc a lot of games to gain experience, that's cool, but if/when you decide to start doing score runs, focusing on one game you like will make you a lot better at not just that game but also similar games. Contrary to popular opinion around here, a lot of great scoreplayers play with a simple controller or keyboard, so you don't have to splurge on an arcade stick. If you *do,* however, make sure it's responsive and tight, probably a Seimitsu (I personally recommend the LS-32). The more popular fight sticks are perhaps a little too rugged and wide for shmups. I'm lookin forward to seeing some runs. Mecha Ritz is pretty choice as far as doujins go, by the way, and tragically underplayed. I am a Psikyo fetishist, myself, but Cave and Raizing are the devs that get the most hype around here. Look deeper, however, and you will find a lot of appreciation for the classics as well as doujins. Welcome aboard.
amoore2600

Whats up Shmups!

Post by amoore2600 »

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I have be a long time lurker and have finally made an account to see some of the more restricted places here on the form.

I am a long time a arcade and video game collector. I also mod over at reddit for a few arcade subs http://reddit.com/r/coinop and http://reddit.com/r/crapmame

Anyway glad to be here and finally official!

amoore2600
Skykid

Re: Whats up Shmups!

Post by Skykid »

Welcome to the farm!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

bauer

Post by bauer »

Hi shmups-forum,
quick self-introduction: I like verts and horis (among the latter preferable those without environmental hazards), and I'm a tinkerer, working on my own little shmup. I also mod and build sticks (among other stuff I build inverted, "left handed" sticks, even though I'm right handed). That's it, have a nice day.
thegirlg33k

Re: Whats up Shmups!

Post by thegirlg33k »

amoore2600 wrote:I just wanted to introduce myself.

I have be a long time lurker and have finally made an account to see some of the more restricted places here on the form.

amoore2600
Same here. I was bit by the arcade bug a bit ago, made an account here but never actually posted.

I finally re-arranged my desks and soldering station so I can work on some gaming projects. One of which will be to test out and get my MVS motherboards working. I have a few that I was able to snag for cheap and am trying to understand how to make a test rig / supergun using what I have on hand. I am an absolute noob at arcade stuff (I'm better with computers and consoles) and unfortunately don't have the space for a full cabinet right now.

Eventually I want to get a cab or two going; one for me and one for my boyfriend. He loves shmups more than I do and maybe I can surprise him with a mini supergun setup by his birthday. :D
APB

Post by APB »

Dear forum,

I would like to introduce myself: I like shmups, know a thing or two about game development, build my own sticks and dissect those of others.
Thanks for having me.
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

Just got a candy cab to play some shumps on! First two I got are aero fighters and strikers 1945 2
TIGERBAZOOKAJA!

Post by TIGERBAZOOKAJA! »

Not usually a person who uses forums and i have looked on here from time to time and just decided so it might aswell make an account on here and also meet some cool new people.

I think i got into SHMUPS around 2003-2004 around the time my uncle gave me a old copy of MAME on disc and that introduced me to games like R-Type, Viewpoint,Blazing Star,Prehistoric Isle in 1936 and a bunch of other games that i can't remember right now. The kind of games i like tend to be turn based strategy games, puzzle games (been getting into Tetris the grandmaster this year) the odd VN here and there but i do also like some of the really weird experimental stuff that's comes out of the indie game world aswell.

Some of you already know me as Kprice45 on on Twitch (T4N3,Frenetic,Trap15,Aquas,and Icarus what's up guys?)

I'm from the UK but i'm one of those horrible Londoners people seem to dislike, to give you an idea of what part of London i'm from i live not far from where Skepta,JME,Frisco and alot of those grime MC's come from but sadly i've never ran into any of them on the highroad irl :( (well except Frisco but that was at an event so different ting)

Recently after watching Cream's sick 1CC on Raiden 2 i decided to give the game a try out after not playing it in years....and the game kicked my arse rahted its hard.

P.S. if i ever use any bits of slang that sound alien to you don't hesitate to ask
dreadnought

Post by dreadnought »

Hi all.

Despite sucking at shoot`em ups*, I love them. It`s part sentiment - Scramble was probably my first ever videogame and watching my mate`s Defender wizardry (1 credit = multiple score counter resets) an introduction to serious gaming.

The only twitch games I was ever good at are fps ones - however recently I got the strange urge to delve into the vert/hori world again...and to my astonishment I`m doing much better than 3 decades ago ;) Weird, I thought these neuromotoric skills degrade with age. There`s something immensely beautiful about the genre - aside from gfx/sfx - some sort of trance like tranquility when you get in the zone and weave through patterns.

I`m also a CRT fanatic and that mostly prompted me to register here - need to compare notes on some issues.

*I cannot stand the term "shmup". Probably not the best place for such revelation, but here it is :)
JDH

Post by JDH »

Like dreadnought, I suck pretty hard at most shmups, but yearn to get better! They always look so amazing when others play then when watching on Youtube and the like, plus I'd love to expand my collection of games to include even more, and get better with time.

I also have come across this forum multiple times in regards to the Hardware side of things, as getting the best picture quality from my retro consoles is very important. This makes playing these types of games possible, as emulation introduces its own lag, which is a huge no-no for these types of games.

This seems like a great community, and i'm glad to be here.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Hello~

I'm living in Korea and first got into shoot 'em ups as a child with Gemini Wing, Nemises, 194?, Silkworm and UN Squadron. Big fighting game fan too, with Guilty Gear being the current fav. Joined this forum as I've recently started playing again, and am a fan of reading up on the history of the genre. Right now, I'm trying to 1-ALL Under Defeat and Raiden IV, while also playing Gradius V for fun.

Recently learned how to use my Macbook for emulation, and discovered a trove of games. Unfortunately Saturn emulation still eludes me..

Anyway nice to meet y'all, and I look forward to learning from everyone.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Nordicus0114

Post by Nordicus0114 »

Greetings everyone,

To make things short, I have been playing shumps for a long time, and been collecting Japanese imported games since 2007, and my collection is growing from shmups to different kinds of other games. I look forward to talking and getting to know you people.
Zero238

Post by Zero238 »

Greetings from Raleigh, NC

First taste for a shmup is thunder spirits on the SNES and I was complete garbage at it. Now older still not any good, but still like to play them occasionally. Got into arcade games since the family bought a pizzeria and was able to convince them to let me put some in. Most of them are fighting games; but I did like playing Progear on the CPS2. I would like to get better at it even though my skill are laughable at best.
noodles

Post by noodles »

Long time listener, first time caller. Just wanted to say hello. Have been playing lots of shmups on the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast over the last 6 months. I'm hoping to start competing at a level where I can get my high scores on the boards here.

This seems like a nice fun corner of the internet. I think I could hang out here once in a while.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome kids.
My lord, I have come for you.
Phaegendra

Post by Phaegendra »

Hello,

I've been around for a short while and wanted to introduce myself (I don't really use forums, but I can only get so far just watching videos on YouTube).
I've known about shmups for a while, but Touhou is what really got me into these games.
Anyway, bullet hell games are particularly interesting to me and I'm wanting to see how far I can go with them. The experience has been great so far.
wigsplitta

Post by wigsplitta »

I've been lurking on AO for a few years, and having finally got round to getting a few vert shooters (cheers bruv) I decided it was time to sign up to shmups :D
Mushi, Ketsui and DDPDOJ broke me in, and just got a couple of the galuda's 8)
moh

Post by moh »

wigsplitta wrote:I've been lurking on AO for a few years, and having finally got round to getting a few vert shooters (cheers bruv) I decided it was time to sign up to shmups :D
those are some great titles to start off with. welcome :wink:
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

moh wrote:
wigsplitta wrote:I've been lurking on AO for a few years, and having finally got round to getting a few vert shooters (cheers bruv) I decided it was time to sign up to shmups :D
those are some great titles to start off with. welcome :wink:
To start off, really??
well, i wish good luck anyway
flyttlada

Post by flyttlada »

dear shmups forum,

arcade player from sweden! just got my second astro city but name in tate so looking to get more info on what shmups to start with and hopefully buy some pcb here :)

best,
flyttlada
mutmut02

Post by mutmut02 »

Hi there,

I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while and not it's time to join in I guess.

I'm a French guy and I aim at clearing STGs. Not much to add really =)

Bye
Darkhero

Post by Darkhero »

Hello! I'm Dark Hero, retro gaming and tech enthusiast. I've been lurking here for a while and figure it's time to finally create an account.

I've been on and off playing shmups since I found a Galaga cabinet when I was young. I don't have a particular preference or favorite shmup but I like stuff from Konami, Cave, Compile, and Hudson along with several others. I'm also very casual but I'm hoping to improve my skills and 1CC some arcacde shmups.
StefanH

Post by StefanH »

Hi!
I have been away from arcade playing for a couple of years. Just bought an Sega Aero and is working on my Espgaluda 1cc.
Coaxmetal77

Post by Coaxmetal77 »

Old member of the forum who has long since forgotten the email/username I registered with. Figured I'd sign up again since I might be buying/selling some PCBs in the future.

Favorite game: Out Zone
zolli

Post by zolli »

Just joined the forum on the advice of a friend who's convinced me that Japanese candy cabs are the way to go. I have an 80s stand-up cabinet that I completely refinished (wood, paint, electronics, even specialized circuits to deal with audio) but haven't been satisfied by the shmup experience on a 19" CRT arcade monitor. Time for candy.

At the moment, my favorite shmup is Flame Zapper Kotsujin, which I play on an accelerated PC-9801FA that I imported from Japan. A bit of slow-down but at least I have the hard-to-find PC-9801-86 sound card with joystick input. (Not a fan of shmups on the keyboard.) I also like Cho Ren Sha on the X68000, but my X68000 XVI Compact is having audio problems. (Long story...)

In any case, glad to be here.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

What kind of sticks do you have in the standup cab? Do you have a tall barstool to sit at?

Being able to sit down while playing is a lot more comfortable for longer periods of play, and is also much more accessible for shorter people, young kids, etc. There's really a lot of advantages to having a sitdown cabinet vs a standup. Also, most standup cabs I've played on have used fairly stiff sticks whereas the style commonly found on Japanese candy cabs use a much looser, comfortable stick to play on. That also makes a big difference in enjoyment (you can always swap the sticks in the cab).

But yes, sitdown candy cabs are wonderful to play on and an experience everyone should get to enjoy.