The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CIT

The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by CIT »

EDIT: Changed the title of the thread by popular demand. Feel free to introduce yourself here. :)

Hi there!

I've been lurking in this forum for a while now, but someone over at Japanese Gaming finally convinced me to join. :wink:

Anyway, I've been into gaming for about 17 years, and into Japanese imports since the SNES era. My favorite games are the Akumajo Dracula/Castlevania series, which I'm also collecting.

My first shmup was Life Force on NES, and my favorite shmup developers include Compile, Konami, Psikyo and Raizing, among many, many others.

Currently I'm playing Keio Yugekitai and Dennin Aleste, as I recently became the proud owner of a Wondermega. I'm planning to expand my PC-Engine collection next.

Nice to meet you all! :)
Last edited by CIT on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
TGK

Re: Hello, I'm new here!

Post by TGK »

Welcome!

Life Force, good sir, is one of the first beasts I got the honour to vanquish.

Did you play Recca by any chance? It is in my opinion the very finest NES shmup and a milestone in shmup history It plays like a balance between old Compile style and modern manic, long before Batsugun ever came out. NaxatSoft probably went under at some point later though :(
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

We should have a seperate forum dedicated to Introductions, but it's just a suggestion.

Welcome Seven Force! Gunstar Heroes freak, I assume :D
CIT

Post by CIT »

@TGK

Unfortnately, I've never played Recca. Actually I only even learned about it recently, when I was reading some Japanese page about Summer Carnival. So far the best FC shmup I've played has been Gunnac, although Life Force has actually held up quite well too for an NES game, IMO.

@SFKhoa

Yup, Gunstar is a big favorite. I'm anticipating the new GBA version with a mixture of joyful bliss and dreadful foreboding. :wink:
TGK

Post by TGK »

Gunnac is the second shmup I ever played! Right after Gradius.

I used to have a Recca cart when I was a kid. But now I bet it is almost impossible to find. The game is emulated decently, although sometimes bullet might go through you without killing you (didn't happen in the real game).
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Recca is the game that really got me into this genre, just because I happened to see Aeon Genesis' title screen hack, which he claims he did just to get the game a little recognition. Normal mode is right up there with the best NES/FC shmups, but nothing can touch the hard mode, even with all its slowdown. I wish I could play Area 7 with no slowdown and no sprite limit, someday.

Too bad the game's so damn expensive if you want a real cart.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
CIT

Post by CIT »

What does a cart in good condition w/ box/manual go for these days?
TGK

Post by TGK »

shiftace wrote:...

Aeon Genesis' title screen hack

I didn't know this! So this is why the Recca title screen I see here is so much different from my memory. The only thing I could remember from the real cart is reading the "summer carnival" text, while the title was Japanese (or abstract drawings).

For a long time I refer to this game as Summer Carnival when introducing it to friends, often leaving them wonder what the heck does summer carnival has to do with uber destructive blastfest.

and I tell them,

"rule 1 of making shmups: the plot, if exists, must be ridiculous."
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Last time I went looking at JP auction sites, admittedly a while ago, somewhere around US$300 equivalent, I think.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

been mentioned before, but nes reproductions will make you a us compatible cart for around $30.

over horizon is on the list as well, which is another i have had my eye on for a while.
I have no sig whatsoever.
CIT

Post by CIT »

TGK wrote:For a long time I refer to this game as Summer Carnival when introducing it to friends, often leaving them wonder what the heck does summer carnival has to do with uber destructive blastfest.

and I tell them,

"rule 1 of making shmups: the plot, if exists, must be ridiculous."
Actually Summer Carnival was a shmup convention/contest in Japan, kind of like the Caravan shooting contest. Every year a new game would be released for the contest.

'91 was Spriggan (PCE)
'92 was Recca (FC) and Alzadick (PCE)
'93 was Nexzr Special (PCE)

Afaik those were all the Summer Carnival Games.
elbarto

Post by elbarto »

Welcome (back? :wink: ) 7F!
"I LIKE SHOTS BULLITS AT BAD MAN"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Welcome aboard! :D
Seven Force wrote:
Actually Summer Carnival was a shmup convention/contest in Japan, kind of like the Caravan shooting contest. Every year a new game would be released for the contest.

We have here a high-score thread (maintained by yours truly) for Caravan games as well as for the games with similar modes included. Do take part.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Hi, wasn't there a Seven Force here before though?
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Hi Seven Force, I'm new here as well. Do you post at any of the Castlevania forums? I'm a huge CV freak, and I'm just curoius whether we've crossed paths before.
Kamakazie

Post by Kamakazie »

I'm new here as well, heya.

My first SHMUP was probably Life Force as well, but I cannot remember. My favorites are Einhander and Dodonpachi, and I absolutely love Ikaruga and Parsec47, as well as the R-Type series.

I've never spent a whole lot of time trying to get high scores on these things because I never knew anyone else who played em, so recently i found this board and the high scores list and decided to join up.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Welcome all!

We should rename this thread to the "Introductions thread" instead of making a whole new forumm based on one..maybe.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Hi, wasn't there a Seven Force here before though?
Yeah, then he became eightone and then disappeared from the forums.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

8 1/2 wrote:
Yeah, then he became eightone and then disappeared from the forums.
Well, maybe he'll be back one day...under a name associated with 9's or a 9?
(get it? Going up in numbers? Seven Force...EightOne...Nine---?)
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Hello, Welcome!

I'm new here my self but havent really introduced myself. Soo hello!
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

Welcome to the boards
I'm still getting used to this place myself.
Always nice to see another Castlevania fan
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Greetings, Humanoids.

I am ROBOTRON. I am a ROBOT.

Currently playing:

The Guardian Legend - NES
Axelay - SNES
Thunderforce 5 - Saturn
Dead Moon - TG16
Trizeal - DC
Herzog Zwei - Genesis
Alpha Mission II - Neo-Geo
Einhander - PS1
Star Soldier - N64
Star Soldier - GameCube
Turmoil - Atari 2600

Xyanide - Sexbox (I wish)
Last edited by ROBOTRON on Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fight Like A Robot!
sven666

Post by sven666 »

hello and welcome to all you new members :)

hows bout writing a little about yourselves as an introduction ? ;)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Yes, but I am am his evil twin and I killed him to assume his identity, mwahahahar! :wink:
PFG 9000 wrote:Hi Seven Force, I'm new here as well. Do you post at any of the Castlevania forums? I'm a huge CV freak, and I'm just curoius whether we've crossed paths before.
Hello! Yes, you can also find me at the Castlevania Dungeon, as Seven Force. Good to see some more CV fans here.
Kamakazie wrote: My first SHMUP was probably Life Force as well, but I cannot remember. My favorites are Einhander and Dodonpachi, and I absolutely love Ikaruga and Parsec47, as well as the R-Type series.
Hiya! Einhänder is probably my alltime favorite shmup as well, dunno why I didn't mention it. I just love the weapons in that game, it's probably the one shmup that feels the most like you're actually shooting stuff with a big ass machine gun.
As for R-Type, I could never really warm up to the series, except for Leo. I guess it's because you don't have to deal with that pod in that one. :)
SFKhoa wrote:We should rename this thread to the "Introductions thread" instead of making a whole new forumm based on one..maybe.
Okay, I've changed the title. :)
TGK

Post by TGK »

If there isn't another thread like this, can the Mods make this sticky?

An "I'm new!" thread won't be too useful if it eventually sinks down.
Alske

Post by Alske »

Well, I'm new as well...

I'm currently playing E.S.P. Galuda, Dodonpachi Daioujou, GigaWing Generations, GigaWing 2 and Soukyugurentai.

I'm pretty different from most on this forum as I feel that older shmups are generally a complete waste of time. I hate Gradius, and R-Type in all their incarnations. I hate Compile and Toaplan, and was very very very depressed when I heard that there would be another Raiden game. I don't expect this to make me very popular here...

The first shooters that I seriously played was Thunderforce 3, Lords of Thunder and Gate of Thunder, then I took a break until Layer Selection and Radiant Silvergun. It's only recently though that I've started getting pretty good at these games.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Seven Force wrote:Hiya! Einhänder is probably my alltime favorite shmup as well, dunno why I didn't mention it.
Welcome. Since Einhander is your fave game, post your score in this thread ;)
rcgrant

Post by rcgrant »

Hi all. I'm another newcomer.

The first shmup that really caught my attention was G Darius, back in the heydey of the PSX. At that time, though, I didn't delve any deeper into the genre. I still don't know what happened to that first copy I owned, but I decided to track down another one on eBay so I could play it again. And now, well, let's just say I'm writing this post in tate. :lol:

Lately I've been playing Gradius V, Shikigami no Shiro 2, and especially Ikaruga.

Next up: a JPS2 and Cave ports. Espgaluda looks very, very enticing.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

So many newcomers arriving.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Hello I'm new myself, although I've lurked at this place unregistered for a long time.

One familiar face to me here is PFG 9000, welcome to the definitive shmup site on the net man.

Favorite shooters, Gradius (all of them, except Solar Assault due to never ever seeing it in arcades), R-Type, DoDonPachi (no I can't 1CC it), Xevious, Salamander, Parodius, and Twinbee.

Didn't join here for this long because the guys here are pretty hardcore and can walk circles around me in any shooter.