The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zolli

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by zolli »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:What kind of sticks do you have in the standup cab? Do you have a tall barstool to sit at?
I have completely redone the control panel with Sanwa JLF joysticks and Seimitsu buttons. All good, but as you say, sitting down is much nicer for long gameplay.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Hi guys,

I just joined up here after recently getting back into shmups.

I used to play a lot of shmups when I was growing up, mostly R-Type and Gradius on the SNES. Over the past 18 months I discovered Cave games and have been hooked on these ever since. I also like other shumps, such as Gunbird, Rayforce, Raiden, Dimahoo, and the 1944 games. I'm a huge Cave fan though, although don't know a lot about the company or games. I was trying to find out more about Cave and came across the excellent pdf "The Full Extent Of The Jam" on here, written by Prometheus, and I decided to join up after reading it and the other strategy guides.

Many thanks!
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

wasilewski wrote:came across the excellent pdf "The Full Extent Of The Jam" on here, written by Prometheus, and I decided to join up after reading it and the other strategy guides.
Many of us learned a lot through that pdf. It is highly recomended along with the Racketboy articles about shmups, if you want to know more about the companies. Prometheus must be proud.
Anyway, welcome!
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

wgogh wrote:
wasilewski wrote:came across the excellent pdf "The Full Extent Of The Jam" on here, written by Prometheus, and I decided to join up after reading it and the other strategy guides.
Many of us learned a lot through that pdf. It is highly recomended along with the Racketboy articles about shmups, if you want to know more about the companies. Prometheus must be proud.
Anyway, welcome!
Thank you :)

The Racketboy articles are great too. Some of the best out there for sure. All the links in "Threads of Excellence" are extremely useful.
Eisenhans

Post by Eisenhans »

Dear forum users,

after some on and off years of lurking I finally made an account. So not to waste anyone's time I'll keep my introduction brief: I like verticals and horizontals, have a special place in my heart for old capcom shooters like Area 88 and my favorite art and setting style is "military" (think Ketsui). I also like to work on my own games, even though I have not managed to put out an own, full shooter.. YET. Hopefully sometime I will.

Have a nice day.
MaoCPS

Post by MaoCPS »

Hi, everyone!
I love shmups and run and gun games.
cemera

Post by cemera »

Hi!
I've made some posts before this one, but I want to introduce myself in a formal way.

I registered here by a recommendation of a partner to try to get more players for some online tourneys and other contests for the game Twinkle Star Sprites. So, my first post here was made to open thread to announce an online tourney (the 3rd one). All has been played at FightCade and pretty for sure it will continue to be organized there.

I'm only interested in that game for now, and I'd like to continue hosting online TSS events as long as people continue joining them. And a lot of japanese people are doing that, but sadly not so many non-japanese players.

If you're interested to join any of the next events, you can check here or in my twitter account, which is in my signature.

Or, if you only want to watch the next tourney, you can do it at FightCade or at YouTube here, because it will be live streamed and commented by the japanese player 'rakugaki' a.k.a. 'ra9_OP'. Of course, all the narration will be done in japanese.

I don't know what more to write. I hope more people from this forum join the online events, or at least watch them streamed or directly at FC chatroom. Thanks for reading.
FB: http://www.facebook.com/cemera.tss
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/FightcadeTSS
Twinkle Star Sprites Discord Group: https://discord.gg/PtTzrhM (invitation link)
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Hi there,

Long time lurker, learned a lot on this forum, thought I would contribute what I can. Lived in Japan and did business there for a good part of the past 2 decades. Avid shmup fanatic, from Brisbane, Australia. Thanks.
LeeVega

hello all

Post by LeeVega »

glad to be here ladies and gents cool place to hang and get great info and reviews thanks for having me..the best

Lee
lrussolo

Post by lrussolo »

Used to frequent this forum awhile back. Fell off the shmup bandwagon, but have recently got the itch again. Most recently picked up BG Rev 2016 on PS4 and am committed to smashing my head against it for as long as it takes to 1CC.
ReleaseTheLazer

Post by ReleaseTheLazer »

Hi ho!

I've watching a bit this forums since 3 years ago when I back to play shmups but I left them until now. I wanted to do some 1CC of the most popular games so for that I have begun a stream to force me to be more regular in playing shmups and improve my skills and records.

My favourite is Ikaruga (7771 rank in PC by now) and I want to play all the classics like Battle garegga (which I'm enjoying) and DoDonpachi. Also I will play more classics shmups games as I get to know them because viewers or this forum posts.

Hope to get better at these challenging and difficult games that forces you to fight vs your own weaknesses! :)
My stream to have fun and share shmup stuff:
https://www.twitch.tv/releasethelazer
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

ReleaseTheLazer wrote: Hope to get better at these challenging and difficult games that forces you to fight vs your own weaknesses! :)
That's a nice way of putting it! Welcome aboard, and good luck. I came to this forum knowing little about the genre and having just as little experience. Find a game you like, and practice for beating it - and don't worry about moving to a different game if you need something different/hit a wall/are bored. There are a lot of great strategy threads for all of the games you've talked about.
cargo

Post by cargo »

Hello!

I found this forum while learning about RGB console mods. I am in my 40s and don't game much now but I used to play a lot in my younger days.

One of my earliest shmups experiences was Dragon Breed (arcade) and Silpheed (MS-DOS). The latter playing on a Tandy computer with 3-voice audio (and yet at the time I thought it sounded great). LOL

I used to love Zanac for the NES. I really got into it and played it a lot. In the SNES days I did a lot of Axelay. The sound byte "Earthling about!" still lingers in mind to this day. On the PS1 Raystorm was my bread and butter. I still get a kick at the ending where you are told you killed 100 gazillion people with a happy reggae tune playing along with it. Talk about context. Love Gradius V on the PS2 and specially the music.

Nice to meet you all
qbit

Post by qbit »

Since I have frequented the forum for quite some time now, it was about time I joined!

I'm interested in most things arcade, and currently living in Atlantic Canada (originally from Belgium).
Karacho

Post by Karacho »

Hi everyone,

since my 1cc post about Crimson Clover already showed up, but not my original introduction, i assume i did something wrong and didnt see the error or something. So here we go again:

I am a nearly 40 year old fellow german gamer who grew up playing super nintendo games like Contra 3 and Axeley.

These days i am more of a PC gamer, mostly liking first person shooters like Doom and strategy games like Crusader Kings 2.
Also i want to either make levels for Doom 1+2, make my own RPG with RPG Maker MV, or make some oldschool game (jump&shoot or shoot'em up) with GameMaker Studio. Still have to decide.

But during the last weeks i went back to the roots and had fun with the Raiden games and even had my 1cc in Crimson Clover in Boost/Novice with the Type-1 Ship.

While looking for more of those oldschool action games i discovered this forum and read up a bit here and there, and finally i registered.

Otherwise i love pretty much every media that can tell stories, even if it only tells me how John Wick kills bad guys for 90 minutes straight.

Game on guys! :D
MrSujano

Post by MrSujano »

Hey all!

Just joined as I am getting into CPS2 collecting, and was pointed here by Undamned. Seems like an awesome place so far for information! I'm excited to he a part of the community!

A bit about me - I am a retro gamer, fighting game, emulation and tech enthusiast. I have a youtube channel - youtube.com/c/MrSujano.
YoniArousement

Complete noob to shmups

Post by YoniArousement »

I've been recently trying to get into Shmups, but that isn't easy. One of the very first Shmups I played was Demonstar back in 2003, but it wasn't exactly a warm welcome to the genre and didn't help me get interested in them. I have mostly the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series and Psikyo Shmups in mind. I like to create my own games in pre-studio Game Maker.
Noontide

Post by Noontide »

Hi guys, how's it going. A local arcade held a shmup event last weekend and I decided to head along, despite not considering myself a big shmup fan. It was incredibly fun, I played some amazing games on the cabs and met some great people and strong players. I walked away feeling inspired to explore the genre, and was recommended to sign up here, so here I am.

I haven't put serious time into any one game but I've had fun with the CAVE games on Steam, Dariusburst and Ketsui's console ports and doujin games like Touhou, Blue Revolver and Crimzon Clover in the past. I'm looking forward to trying out more titles and seeing how good I can get at the genre.

What else can I say about myself? I'm a fighting game player, artist and professional cripple from Scotland. I'm obsessed with manga but I also enjoy anime and kung fu movies and try to travel as much as I can when my health permits me to.

Lovely to meet you all.
GutBomb

Post by GutBomb »

Hi, I'm GutBomb and have spent the past year acquiring retro consoles and rgb modding them. I think I have more fun doing the modding than actually playing games. I've been playing a lot of Salamander on the Saturn lately.
shadowhc

Post by shadowhc »

Hi All,

I would say I am a glutton for punishment. I am horrible at shumps, but love them for some reason. Most of the time I always try to play them but eventually end up watching play on youtube because I am so bad. Many of quarters have been lost to them at local arcades(that no longer exist :cry: ) I never can get past first few levels of any game, but I still love them. I usually don't join forums but with a lot of my friends no longer playing videogames I decided to join.
plasticfactory

Post by plasticfactory »

Not exactly new here, but it's been years. Finally in the market for a nice candy cab and possibly CAVE PCB.
Honster

Post by Honster »

Hello, not a spam bot. Though I'm a noob and had to wikipedia the answer to the R-Type anti-spam question. I wanted to register because of a some really helpful threads like the game specific chat/strategy and the general new to shmups instructional stuff. I thought I already posted here but its been a couple days so I think my less than stellar wireless internet service may have dropped it in the snowstorm... fingers crossed this time. Still getting to grips with the weird feeling of dodging using my ship while trying to look at the upcoming bullet formations.
last_solvalou

Post by last_solvalou »

Hi, new member here. Discovered the site by web searching 'Best Shmups for PS4', recently picked one up to mainly to play Yakuza 0 and was going to check out some new shmups on my new toy. Lots of good stuff on this site.

Been playing shmups since my early arcade days; some of my favorites: xeviuos, r-type, gradius, twin darius, strikers series. Some of my favorite console shmups: einhander, ikaruga, space invaders extreme, thunder force v, radiant silvergun. Looking forward to learning much more about a genre of games (shmups) that I'm absolutely terrible at, but have been strangely addicted to.

-Rob
Zcvvhyhc

Post by Zcvvhyhc »

Hi guys! I just created account here while ago and I'm glad to be here :D I absolutly love shmups genre - Ikaruga, R-Type and Gradius are my favorites. I think I'm pretty good at them. I hope I can find some more games like them I will love to play :)
Chris-Pachi

Post by Chris-Pachi »

Hi all, I'm an old member... been gone for over 10 years (I wrote this review way back when I bought my Ketsui PCB) and have completely forgotten my old account details. Been a shmup collector for over 15 years, now raising two kids and wanted to get back on here to trade some games with the true enthusiasts :D

-Chris
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome aboard newcomers and welcome back to those who have returned to the fold.

It's still the best genre there is.
My lord, I have come for you.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Hey, it's nice to see a constant influx of new members!

Welcome aboard!
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
phanboy4

Post by phanboy4 »

Hi, found this forum while looking for advice/info on how to recap a PVM (which I managed to do successfully!).

Never really cared about shmups for most of my gaming life, despite getting my start on the Sega Genesis. To me they ranked up there with fighting games as things with high skill ceilings that I didn't have much interest in. Getting a Saturn later in life (because I never had one as a kid) introduced me to Battle Garegga, which was a revelatory experience that kinda put me on to the entire genre (and led me to discover a large part of the Genesis library I'd never paid much attention to before).

I'm very bad at video games and shmups, but I've become quite addicted to playing them, so we'll see how this goes.
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

Great forum, I always wanted to join - so, here I am.
Started gaming since the seventies on a Pong-console and never really broke with the hobby.
I programmed Scramble as a kid on a ViC-20 in machine code(ugh), moved on to C-16, C-64, C-128, Amiga, Atari etc. ....

Ever since the NES, I really love consoles. I also hate them. They are the reason, Arcades where dying in the west. So to keep my childhood, I bought my first Cab (roughly 20years ago for about 25€), a Zaccaria Super Galaxian. And just recently added one of my favorites: Taito Egret II with a 2Player CP.

Couple of childhood favs: Galaga, Defender and Pitfall - they really ate my coins!

Nowadays, I love (nearly) everything made by Cave. The style, soundtracks, sounds, everything is just great, imo. Although, I have a hard time to 1CC most of them....
Last edited by Furtin72 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Hey, this forum magically became my top bookmark at work, before that when I was a wee one, Stinger blew my mind(1993), then I didn't play it for 15 years. I got back into it after a stint with LSDJ(2011) and a flash cart reminded me old video games are awesome. The NES carved my heart out of stone and pulled my teeth out with a tractor. An everdrive, a clean ZIF connector and a NES Advantage later, had me digging out every system I ever owned and drooling over arcade setups like a box of fresh donuts. Being a kid in the 90's with a Sega Saturn was tough, in this era it's a bullet soaked blessing. I'm squeezing every bit and having more fun with this genre of gaming than I have had in any of the modern era. I fix various systems from time to time, build cigar box sticks. I get my parts from focus attack being local to that area, and I enjoy "too many games" expo for the past two years where I sit with a friend and credit feed Dodonpachi Daioujou (I usually find the candy cab vaccant, sadly) Research always brings me here, and this time out of the shadows. Thank you, to those who frequent this forum from the beginning, and for giving something to discover as we noobs climb down this rabbit hole.