The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
StarLightMoonLight

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

Hello there, I've lurked this forum before but never bothered joining until now. I found this place by looking up various shmup titles in the past and finding threads here.
I took up an interest for shmups around 2021 when I first started playing M2's remake of Fantasy Zone II and was blown away at how stellar it was, to me at least. The music, the graphics, the setting, the gameplay, it all felt remarkable to me, and I wanted to find more games like it. Since then I've gotten a good handful of 1CCs for games such as Space Harrier, Lords of Thunder, Steel Empire, etc. This is the first time I'm using a forum like this so feel free to correct me if I make any noticeable mistakes in my posts.
Lazertron

Post by Lazertron »

Hi,
forum lurker for a few days. Got into playing (and collecting) shmups a few weeks ago (again). Loved to play shooters Space Invaders, Phoenix, Tempest and the rest in the arcades back then, so no need to post my age ;) Acquired shmups for the PS1, Dreamcast, PC Engine, PS2 & 3 and Xbox 360 over the years, but using mainly the Switch and the PS4 at the moment. Played Kyukyoku Tiger Heli and Rolling Gunner on the Switch yesterday and I really do suck. Need more practice...
See you :)
hidden0

Post by hidden0 »

Hey guys’

I am just want to learn and share ‘ i loved the info i found here ‘ i got back into the retro few months back learning skills and modding stuff ‘ specially learned alot about modding crts and snes carts and roms ‘ i want to give things back to the community
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

Hello, long time lurker. I've been in the games industry since 1994. Started in retail selling games, written about games, worked with brand marketing and publishing at companies like DICE (Electronic Arts) and Raw Fury. Joined Embracer Group as senior advisor back in 2020. Now we own Tatsujin with the Toaplan catalogue of classics.
guildenstern

Post by guildenstern »

Hello to all.

Played three games. Saw some youtube that mentioned the forum and came since it seems to be a genre that I want to put much more time into and I like to chat about games.
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

Hey hello hi. I've been lurking this forum for a while now. I grew up on a weird mix of interactive fiction, roguelikes, shmups, and strategy games. A while back, I picked up some mobile shmups (Danmaku Unlimited 3, Aka to Blue, and Bullet Hell Monday Black) to keep myself from just doomscrolling social media.

That's been a resounding success, so I've been spending more time with the genre. Before I really start posting more I did want to say I really appreciate this forum's wealth of information. I miss BBSes so much, so it's cool to have one I can post to.
jehu

Post by jehu »

RobotParking wrote:Hey hello hi. I've been lurking this forum for a while now. I grew up on a weird mix of interactive fiction, roguelikes, shmups, and strategy games. A while back, I picked up some mobile shmups (Danmaku Unlimited 3, Aka to Blue, and Bullet Hell Monday Black) to keep myself from just doomscrolling social media.

That's been a resounding success, so I've been spending more time with the genre. Before I really start posting more I did want to say I really appreciate this forum's wealth of information. I miss BBSes so much, so it's cool to have one I can post to.
If doomscrolling brought you to shmups, maybe it was all worth it.
guildenstern wrote:Hello to all.

Played three games. Saw some youtube that mentioned the forum and came since it seems to be a genre that I want to put much more time into and I like to chat about games.
Hello to you, guildenstern. Which three games did you play?
Manualmartin wrote:Hello, long time lurker. I've been in the games industry since 1994. Started in retail selling games, written about games, worked with brand marketing and publishing at companies like DICE (Electronic Arts) and Raw Fury. Joined Embracer Group as senior advisor back in 2020. Now we own Tatsujin with the Toaplan catalogue of classics.
Take care of our precious Toaplan games, please :mrgreen: And welcome, cool to have you around.
Lazertron wrote:Hi,
forum lurker for a few days. Got into playing (and collecting) shmups a few weeks ago (again). Loved to play shooters Space Invaders, Phoenix, Tempest and the rest in the arcades back then, so no need to post my age ;) Acquired shmups for the PS1, Dreamcast, PC Engine, PS2 & 3 and Xbox 360 over the years, but using mainly the Switch and the PS4 at the moment. Played Kyukyoku Tiger Heli and Rolling Gunner on the Switch yesterday and I really do suck. Need more practice...
See you :)
Keep us updated on your progress! K. Tiger and Rolling Gunner aren't exactly the easiest clears, but you can do anything with practice.

And welcome to everyone who's here for the non-shmup side of the forum. Can't believe how often I had to come here for info when I really got into CRTs. Appreciate you all.
M'cin

Post by M'cin »

Hi there. Irregular lurker since... 2008, I think. Grown on Pegasus, a famiclone brand, moved to Playstation for a while before getting a PC in 2001. Mainly a PC gamer since then, in love with FPS, strategy and simulation, but always feeling charmed with oldie games. Few years later, it turned into my love of retro gaming, with Famicom becoming my most played console. Well, it might sound strange, but for XXI century gaming I choose PC and detest all the consoles, with Xbox One being most hatred one, but for oldies I'm into consoles, never really dug as deep as I should into 8 and 16 bit microcomputers. I love this world, but from afar.
First shmup I have played at home must have been something from 168 in 1 pirate multicart. First I've ever seen was.. uh, maybe something from arcade, but I've been 2 years old. Actually, I might have never seen a traditional shmup, horizontal or vertical, in games centre. rail shooters, light gun games, brawlers, tournament fighters, sims, cars, sports, pinballs... my beloved metal slug as well, but never shmups. I must say I've been a bit surprised to know that deep into XXI century arcade boards of shmups were considered the definitve version, uh, but let it be, I need not to understand it all :>
Not much shmups on my completion list or even on "played it" list, mainly freeware PC games and NES/FC games. My fav one is probably Cho Ren Sha 68K, which I have never 1cced 2-ALL, but I've been very close to. If there is some classic i cannot fall in love with it is Truxtron, whole game design with big, bulky, armoured ships one have to smash for hours is out of me. recently, I'm trying to grasp some high score in Recca score attack... must say caravan games hi score list is within my reach ^^ ah, and I like euroshmups :P

Got interested more now as I watch shumps reviews, vids and 1CCs while day at work is boring, an it all started from Zanac discussion on Famicom oriented BBS :>
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Hi all.

Long time lurker and time to give back.

I am currently scratch building a scale Ms. Pacman cabaret and a scaled (80%) NBA JAM TE.

You people rock. What a great community!!!

GM
gypsie

Post by gypsie »

Hi everybody,

Shoots are for me the best games since 30 years. This forum is very hepful so i ve decided to register.

thx
HuKaos

Post by HuKaos »

Hi all,
Been into video games and the hardware that plays them ever since I was a kid. My favorite console is the TurboGrafx-16 and my second is the Sega Saturn. I have visited this forum over the years and lurked so now is a good time to sign up. I’m currently recapping a Turbo Express and working to add component video out from a TurboGeafx-16.
ummo

Post by ummo »

hi everyone. Long term lurker finally registering, amazing forum.

Been playing videogames for well over 30 years but only got into shmups around 15 years ago thanks to Einhander, though I don't particularly enjoy that one very much nowadays. Love CAVE and all different variants of Dodonpachi in particular. Big fan of Toapland and Raizing too. Currently collecting shmups for JPN XBOX 360...
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Hello everyone,

Been playing shmups and arcade games for 40 years. I guess I will never stop so I figured I've finally join up on the forum :)
swarthytart

Post by swarthytart »

Hello, all!

I've been enjoying shmups for over 30 years but have recently started taking them a little more seriously. My fondest childhood memories include the following games...

- Ikaruga
- R-Type
- Macross
- Raptor: Call of the Shadows
- Operation Overkill
- Tyrian
- Radiant Silvergun

Steredenn recently revived my love of the genre and pushed me recently into...

- Neko Navy
- Shikhondo Soul Eater
- Natsuki Chronicles
Lander

Post by Lander »

Howdy folks. Long-time lurker, first-time poster, and all that good stuff.

I posted in here last night, but it looks like the registration approval doohickey must have eaten all but the finest of my initial posts, so I guess I'll take another swing!

Well, I gotta say it's great to be here. [INSERT_CITY] crowds are the best crowds in the world, lemme tellya.
You know you're in for a good time when security has to grill you on shmup lore before they'll even let you in the venue :lol:

As for me, Fantasy Zone II on Master System may well have been the first game I ever owned on cartridge, so safe to say I was in on shmups pretty early. Those white boxes with stock-standard font and chunky cartoon art, halcyon days indeed.
Gradius Advance was another favourite growing up - god knows how, since the series' design sensibilities drive me up the wall nowadays unless I'm doing one-life attempts - but I know I dissected that game in my youth.
I'm also one of those software-engineery-game-developery type individuals and am tinkering with building my own shmup, but at the rate I tend to overengineer things, it's likely to be a while. Look forward to a thread in the development subforum... Sometime.

Anyhow, I won't rattle on too long. Skip to the end, and following a long period of dipping in and out of the genre - tinkering with MAME, enjoying ultrawide Dariusburst, earning babby's first 1cc with Crimzon Clover Novice, et cetera - I'm finally hearing the call of arcade shmups played for keeps.

...Yet despite that, the PS1 port of NES Zanac ended up being the first game to grace my new era of shmupping with a 1CC - hence the avatar and tag. Funny how these things work out :)

Speaking of, I'm shocked and amazed to have snapped up such a prime piece of username real estate this many years into the forum's life. I hope I'm not posting in dead man's shoes following some ban or unfortunate accident :shock:

Also, I might know someone from around here who used to hang out incognito on another gaming forum that's long since been lost twice over to the console war mire - they mainly played DOJ and posted under the initials DDDP with a dramatic chipmunk avatar.
So if you're alive, well, and happen to be reading the self-introduction thread for some reason - hello!
Toddya

Post by Toddya »

I have been collecting retro console games for about 12-13 years but I have gotten into arcade gaming only a few years ago. Although I do definitely like shmups it's not the only genre I love to play. Currently my (arcade) collection is mainly focused around Neo Geo stuff.
thx ;)
Last edited by Toddya on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GBWhatsapp94

Post by GBWhatsapp94 »

Hi I'm new here and I want to know if this forum is really dead... where should I post?

Post by aloe »

Hi folks.

I grew up with PC games (dad did IT work), but quickly branched out into consoles when I was a teenager and been playing plenty of Sega, Nintendo etc since. Got bit with the RGB bug about 20 years ago and never looked back.

Hope you're all doing well.
Zero999

Post by Zero999 »

I just joined the forum. I'm a game developer and moderate shmup fan. Played some good ones here and there and recently released my first game, which is a shmup. I'll be talking more about it later.
Strickhouser

Post by Strickhouser »

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time "gonna do something about it" member. Love shmups, been playing them since Ti-Invaders on my Ti-99/4a. I want to help bring the excitement of shmups to a wider audience and to do that I have started my own podcast called, Quest for 1cc.

I don't have any 1cc's! I want one, or many. If you have time to check it out I would appreciate that. So far I only have the trailer for the show, but full episodes are coming soon. I get some of the best recommendations from this forum and I want to give something back. My focus will be on designer interviews and others who are "questing" for their 1st, 2nd, or even 100th 1cc. Subscribe if you are interested!
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Hi!

Long time lurker of this forum, spanish proud shmup player since I was a kid (but a very bad player nonetheless!).

I've just managed to do two 1cc's: M.U.S.H.A. (Genesis) at Normal Difficulty and Andro Dunos 2, just yesterday, in Arcade Difficulty. I'm planning to record the 1cc's I can manage and start a little podcast about shmups, just like the new guy just above me!
Shmup STG Clips

Post by Shmup STG Clips »

Hi everyone. I have been playing shmups and arcade games since the late 80s. Far from a super player, but I manage!

Growing up in the EU/Benelux region I did not get to see a lot of titles that were more prominent in Asia and the US, so it has been quite a journey discovering all those lovely games later in life. I equally enjoy modern indies.

On social media I run a channel where we post short clips of shmups and run and guns a couple of times a week. QuakedoomNukem, who is also on this forum, is a big contributor there. On Steam I run a curator called Shoot 'em up Database which recently reached 300 reviews.

Cheers!
PartsCommander

From Philippines And Beyond

Post by PartsCommander »

Hello Fellow Gamers and Admin

Thank you for accepting to join here and as for Shooting games have inlove ok First Konami Gradius in Famicom and after that the series is a blast because of soundtracks , until I step up to encounder the sega Shooters ThunderForce III , and the arcade version of the Games .

Lucky to born in early era of this games and until now soundtracks still in my Car and while working .

Hope to work all with you guys and some of I have to dispose of my Arcade Parts

Thank You
MJR

Post by MJR »

It was interesting to read my old introduction back from, huh, 2005. That would be 17 years ago.

I still struggle in game industry, now more than ever. And I no longer draw comics. And I still upkeep highscores, whenever someone feels like contributing them.

I could add that this forum has become kind of a last refugee port for me in the internet. The only safe corner left for me where I can read (or talk) about my passions with like-minded people who care about these things as deeply as I do.

Just seeing this ancient forum layout and colors fills me with comfort - I hope the site never changes.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

I really thought I posted in this thread when I registered but apparently I didn't. :o

I was born in 85, started playing video games around 90 and have been doing so ever since. My favorite genres are shmups, survival horror and first person shooters, but I'll play just about anything. I have a cute dog named Dolores and I like to solve twisty puzzles! :)

fluxchiller

Post by fluxchiller »

Hi there, from Northern Virginia, I am big into Japanese cabs and space games!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Starfighter wrote:I have a cute dog named Dolores and I like to solve twisty puzzles! :)
Daww :mrgreen: Looks like an expert relaxer, reminds me of my little buddy back home.

Accredited cool tiles inspector
Spoiler
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Welcome all!! Nice to see so many new members. I myself played shmups at the arcades in the 80s and 90s and owned a few of them but didn't take them serious till 10 years ago.
mikeBlack

Post by mikeBlack »

Hi all, i'm a long-time lurker from New Zealand. I collect arcade pcbs along with other games. So have quite a few shmups I enjoy playing.
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

Hi there everyone!

I've finally become a forum member after years of reading a lot of you good people's posts.

I'm old enough to remember when Space Invaders came out, not to mention Gradius, R-type and the rest.

Got disillusioned with modern gaming in the last 10 years or so, and got rid of most of my games.

Then I heard of Arcade Club and went there about 5 years ago and it totally reawakened my love for gaming!

Luckily I kept hold of all the classic Shmups I'd collected over the years (always had been my favourite genre), R-types, Gradius games, Ikaruga etc. So I picked up a Switch and PS4 and started buying more of the existing Shmups I'd always wanted as well as new ones too.

Only thing is (like most people my age) I don't get a lot of time to play them!
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!