The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CloudyMusic

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by CloudyMusic »

Here is the biggest shmups discord: http://discord.me/shmups
BIL

Re: Hello everyone

Post by BIL »

VGC1612 wrote:Been reading this forum since i join in 2014 but never introduce myself,big shmup & beat en all fan (THE 2 best gaming genre EVER) from Quebec City,Canada.Big Neo Geo & PGM lover too.Thanks to everybody on this forum,lots of awesome topic and BTW Toaplan4ever!
Welcome aboard! :smile: I lurked for a while before joining in, too.

Beat 'em up discussions are always welcome here! Image
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I've been playing shmups for about two years now so I'm pretty new to the genre too (compared to most people here I would assume). I began with Touhou 7 to get me started and went all the way to 11, but I eventually moved on to the popular steam games such as Mushihimesama, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu, Crimzon Clover, and Ikaruga. Mushihimesama Arrange is undeniably my favorite right now, but I look forward to exploring new games with you all 8)
NitroFrost

Post by NitroFrost »

Hey guys,

Long time gamer, it's the oldest thing I know :) Recently have been dabbling in modding and RGB. I have a software background but lately more and more I'm wanting to go the hardware route and that's where modding is coming in for me. It's filling a void in a hobby I love.

Thanks!
juju

Post by juju »

Hey guys, new member here. I joined a while ago, but it took me a while to just absorb all the information going around this place.

I'm 29, have been playing game since I was like 3 years old, and actually I'm not that big of a shmup fan. I used to play lots of Astro Warrior on the SMS, but always preferred other genres. Way too much trial and error for my taste, I guess. I do find myself playing stuff like Cho Aniki, Panorama Cotton and Undeadline from time to time though :P

I joined because I'm currently developing a shmup and this place became sort of a gold mine for knowledge. I'm also curious to see what my game will turn out like.

Also, pardon me if my messages get a little confusing. English is not my first language, so weird stuff tends to pop up from time to time.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Welcome to the forum! :D

Kiwi : I can relate starting out with Touhou too! It's a good way to be introduced to shmups, as long as you try other types of shmups as well and see what your tastes in this genre exactly are.

NitroFrost : There's an entire section of the forum dedicated to hardware stuff so you should feel comfortable there!

juju : Oh nice, I look forward to seeing what kind of game you are working on! Don't hesitate to post stuff about it in the dev section, and maybe even a demo if you have one.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Kona_Kona

Post by Kona_Kona »

Hey there! I've been lurking for a while now so here's an introduction. I'm 29 and I love fighting games, shmups, and other arcade games. I like Cave games, Progear, Strikers, Ibara, etc..
SLC

Post by SLC »

Hi all. I'd never played shooting games until last month, but after trying out a bunch of them in MAME, I was hooked, and finally completed my first 1cc tonight with R-Type Leo. It is a very exciting process, and I'd love to repeat it with more difficult challenges overtime. I'm also thinking about creating a youtube channel to upload my playthroughs with commentary as a nice, gradual way to track progression. Apart from STGs, I'm a big fan of action RPGs, and enjoy rhythm games and platformers as well. I suppose that's all, really. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. This place seems cool. Nice to meet you!
boogiemanspud

Post by boogiemanspud »

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm mainly into the Raiden series and spinoffs pre-Raiden 3. My main hobby is modding consoles for things like RGB, region switches etc.
XyRe

Post by XyRe »

Hi long time lurker here appreciate all the knowledge on superguns and arcade hardware that I've picked up through this place, now to save up for some CAVE stuff :lol:
jsanc972

Post by jsanc972 »

Hello all,

New to the whole arcade supergun scene and found the forum while searching for supergun knowledge. This place is full of info and i'm so glad i found you guys!

Jonathan
MegaGamer68

Post by MegaGamer68 »

Hi there, i am just a Gamer, that loves Retro Arcade Games, and Console Games, i always loved Raiden Fighters, my favorite ship was Raiden MK-II in Raiden Fighters, i always liked Shumps, dropping by to say hi, that's all, i think.
Tatsujin09

Post by Tatsujin09 »

Hello everyone,

My name is Jose Luis (Tatsujin09). I come from Spain and I’m a big fan of the olders shoot’m ups from the 80’s. My favourite ones are Terra Cresta, R-Type and 1942. I own the original PCBs, and I play them once in a while with my supergun.

In console I like the Sega Saturn great ports as Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Strikers 1945, Guardian Force and Blast Wind...among others.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Hello and welcome! :)
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
NostalgicGamer

Post by NostalgicGamer »

Hi Everyone! I'm a long time lurker/reader, i have frequented the Shmups forum for years but haven't created an account till now. I'm a long time collector, lover of all things Shmup... i just wish I was better at them ;-)
qcretro

Post by qcretro »

Hello world! This has been a great resource for me learning mods, now maybe I will do less lurking and more posting...
escic

Post by escic »

hi, i am new here. my favour shmup is Raiden2. I have play it everyday when i was young:)
DatMonkey

Post by DatMonkey »

Hi everyone! I am kind of new to retro gaming. During this year I have taken the step from emulation to the "real deal" by reacquiring some of my childhood consoles such as the Mega Drive. A couple of months ago I bought my first PVM and have fallen in love with scanlines! I especially like how good late-era-2D-games look, such as Symphony of the night and Street Fighter 3. This forum has been a great resource already, so I figured I'd register and show my support!
letmetrythisname

Post by letmetrythisname »

Hello, everyone. I'm letmetrythisname / lmttn. I forgot I had already made an account on here, actually. I'm not very good at shmups, but I really enjoy them (and arcade games in general). The shmups I've spent the most time on are probably the first two or three Gradius games as well as some Battle Garegga and Dodonpachi.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

welcome, new members.
I'll soon give my feedback to the devs that want to make a significant addition because of their love for the genre.
nonik

Post by nonik »

Hello!!!!

Regards from Spain!!! im pinball collector, and i want to start to collect shootemups!!!! :)

Thanks for the entry!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Howdy, I'm Josh, and as an avid collector of many an arcade PCB, I thought it relevant to join!

I make home made cabinets, mainly because I live in Australia, and that remoteness makes it hard to find parts.

At the moment my beloved CPS2 version of Progear No Arashi is in my sit-down upright, and Espgaluda is on my cocktail cab.

The only boards that are giving my trouble are my V-V and Dogyuun PCB's, and both have a similar problem of an unstable, shaky image. I've tested on both and LCD and CRT monitor, and the result is the same. So... gotta fix those boards one day.
Genki

Post by Genki »

New member here. My favorite shmup is Ikaruga. I’ve played a lot of em and plan on playing some new ones soon. I plan on buying a Japanese Saturn for Radiant Silvergun and DoDonPachi. Currently I mainly play Ikaruga on PS4.
Habanero

Post by Habanero »

Newbie. I won't be getting any highscores, but I enjoy SHMUPs. I'm currently playing Blue Revolver and Ikaruga. Crimzon Clover is cool, but I wish the star visibility/count wasn't so excessive. Apparently the option to tone that down was a feature in the original doujinshi game, but I guess the publisher wanted to include it for the retail release. I see that a few manga were scanlated here. I scan manga, interviews, etc. as a side hobby, so I can provide raws if someone wants to work on something. Just shoot me a message.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello

My name is Alex, I grew up in Toronto and spent almost every weekend at the Arcades. I loved it. I once had a ton of Atari stuff, I had some real rarities but sadly most of it go ruined in a flood, including my iRobot Logic Board which to this day still hurts.

Right now I collect a lot of old Macs and am still very much into gaming but not so much the new stuff, I love the old games. What can I say, I was born in '68 so …

Currently I am getting into the Sony KV line of displays and maybe here and there I will pick some up if they are cheap. I don't have a ton of room in the house, 3 kids and all but if I can I will try to get at least one or two more. One day, these maybe really hard to get. Oh and for some reason, the Sony CRTs are by far my favorites.

Yeah that's about it for now, I am still discovering this forum and all the amazing conversations that I found here, hey that's why I signed up! :)

Cheers!
—Alex
FairWitness

Post by FairWitness »

Hi guys, I've been using the site for a long time now in lurker-mode, but I figured i should start contributing something if possible. :) I've been playing games since the 80's and still tend to keep playing the old school stuff (8/16/32-bit era) including arcade games.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

HELLO,
HELP
NO ONE WILL APPROVE MY POSTS. IT'S BEEN OVER A DAY AND I'M STILL WAITING!

UPDATE:
Thanks for the approval and hello everyone. Happy to finally be here lol. I'm new to retro gaming specifically, but not to modding or emulation.

I have retro consoles from PS2 (mod), Wii (mod) Xbox (mod) 360 (mod) retro emulation...
I have a hdbox pro I'm gonna try using for my ps2 on flat screen. Just got it but got it for a KILLER deal. Reviews were pretty good for it, if you can't afford framemeister lol. Guess testing will tell. ..
I have LOTS of gaming accessories for pretty much all systems as well.
But enough on my stuff for now.

I mainly joined for one reason only but I can see me using this forum for other reasons. :-)
Why am I here?
I seek help on modding my crt TV for scart.
Now, before you roll your eyes, I've watched all the videos and read many posts and I'm not asking you to spoon feed me answers. I've got skills in soldering and I've worked with electronics. I would not consider myself a novice.

I posted a thread about my Toshiba TV....any one who I could bounce my idea off of would be greatly beneficial. Please help if you can.

Thanks again and greetings everyone!
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

What's up guys? Glad to be here, been lurking the past year a bit.

I kind of got back into gaming just a few years ago after rescuing some old stuff my younger brother and I kept at our parents' house (Unfortunately my Missile Command machine needs some work and the keys are missing. I used to have it in my college dorm room!). I found great enjoyment of finally putting all these systems back together. While playing through these games again i found I enjoyed playing shmups the most, that return to simplicity yet still challenging gameplay was very refreshing.

I remember skipping my bus home from Jr. High to go the Pizza Hut across the street to play Galaga, as well as seeing the game for the first time in 1982 when I was 5. I remember Satan's Hollow and how it freaked me out (I would later start a band called Satan's Hallow based off the game, a band that I had just recently broke up), I remember how 1943 blew me away when it was first released. Before I had an NES I was able to play Astro Warrior on Master System, so that's what I asked for for Christmas. I received the NES instead, and the first game I rented was Life Force. I was jealous of those who has the TG16 that could play Blazing Lazers and Super Star Soldier, and Genesis owners who could play Gaiares. I got the Super Nintendo though, so at least I had Gradius 3 and Axelay. My first ever imports were Marvel Vs. Street Fighter and Radiant Silvergun for Saturn, along with the Action Replay to play them. I loved the Dreamcast, but shmups for me never happened there.

So i re-bought another Xbox 360, and with that I discovered some of the great shmups on there that I wasn't aware of when first owned the system. I hadn't heard yet heard of the developer Cave actually until I played Guwange on XBLA. After I talked to a friend about getting into to these again, he gave me his 360 SFIV arcade stick since he got a new one, so that made playing shmups even better.

My brother then gave me a MAME disc with 1500 or so arcade games on it, so I ran it on my laptop and bought some $15 arcade sticks of ebay. So I can play most of those now, but there's still a few I haven't. I don't use MAME exactly, just this disc.

Unfortunately my brother just passed away this summer at the age of 37. The last time I saw him was at Galloping Ghost Arcade in Chicago this past Christmas. His girlfriend gave me back my Saturn that he'd been borrowing the last 16 years. My latest purchase has been Soukygourentai.

I also recently made a Japanese account on PSN and downloaded Einhander, Harmful Park, Gaia Seed, etc.

Now I need tips on how to score in Battle Garegga.

One more thing, can anyone identify the shmup at 20:25 in this video? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/spolHQxcqxQ
hazegray52

Post by hazegray52 »

Hey guys, I've been referencing this forum over the years to resolve answers to a number of gaming questions, and decided I might as well be able to contribute.

I'm in the military and move around a lot. Currently in Japan but not for much longer. Heading to Mid East next and then should (and "should" is as good as it gets in the military) be heading to Germany afterwards.

My "console of choice" for shmups is definitely the Saturn, and I'm an especially big fan of Toaplan releases. I was given a used copy of Grind Stormer for the Genesis (which I later learned was an awful port of the arcade original) when I was in middle school, then discovered Batsugan during college. Other than those two consoles I also collect for the PCE, PCFX (which I can't honestly recommend doing), PS1, PS2, and GC. I also dabble in modern stuff.

I'm by no means opposed to grabbing digital downloads of everything I can (recent Switch port of Ikaruga was awesome...got to meet the guys in charge of hanlding it at the latest Tokyo Game Show). That said, I do prefer original hardware when the price is reasonable. Usually I hook up 240p consoles to my 60" Panasonic plasma via an XRGB Mini, but I've recently purchased a Sony PVM (1954Q) because I'd like to get back to playing on a CRT with the intended 4:3 aspect ratio. I like to hook up my sixth gen consoles to the HDTV in 480p whenver possible (such as with Eon's GCHD HDMI adapter), so I'm uncertain how much use the XRGB Mini will be getting. I'll definitely keep it around for full screen PSP games via the PSPgo!

Anyhow, great to be finally on here and looking forward to the gaming discussions.
AkumaLeoN

Post by AkumaLeoN »

GREETINGS!
Cheers to this community...
Happy to be part of it :)
Consoles and specially arcade games are my hobbies..
Studying for EE. Got myself some free time so I joined the forum in order to create a few projects of mine and see what I have been missing.

Best Regards