The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nebula

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by Nebula »

Hi! I'm Sergio from Spain. I've already registered here long time ago, but not active until now! I'm playing shmups again after long "stand-by" time and I want to start being active in this forum!

I've already have some original shmups pcbs from Toaplan and Capcom, but my plan is growing my collection and playing them in a Candy cab (Egret II :roll: ).

Greets!
Seyriuu

Post by Seyriuu »

Hi! I'm a software engineer that loves shumps since I was a kid (started with Zanac and still loves that 1st stage music).

I've been trying to develop games since around 2000 (using a platform called Klik & Play, which is now Multimedia Fusion) and that was what got me into programming. While I really like bullet hells (love DoDonPachi, MarsMatrix and gigawings) I've always been pretty bad at those, so I tend to play more R-type, Darius and Phalanx kind of games. I also love shumps graphic designs and sometimes try to pixel art myself.

I mostly play indie games and recently I've been playing a lot of Steredenn, Monolith and ZeroRanger.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Oh wow, a lot of new folks recently. Welcome!
Lord British wrote: One more thing, can anyone identify the shmup at 20:25 in this video? Thanks!
https://youtu.be/spolHQxcqxQ
That's an MS-DOS era game called "Overkill". It was interesting in that you could get a ton of upgrades and eventually get a really gigantic looking ship, but it was also hard to play as the levels felt quite cramped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gwPzefurs
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Oh wow, a lot of new folks recently. Welcome!
Lord British wrote: One more thing, can anyone identify the shmup at 20:25 in this video? Thanks!
https://youtu.be/spolHQxcqxQ
That's an MS-DOS era game called "Overkill". It was interesting in that you could get a ton of upgrades and eventually get a really gigantic looking ship, but it was also hard to play as the levels felt quite cramped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gwPzefurs
Good work, thanks! Definitely looked cool and I was surprised I didn't know what it was. Funny they would show an Ms-Dos game in a Funspot documentary though.
UltimateTofu

Post by UltimateTofu »

Hi All! A friend of mine told me about this forum because he noticed after I picked up a couple arcade cabinets I've been playing a bunch of shmups. This is an amazing forum with tons of info. I definitely have some homework with all the games mentioned in this thread alone!
synthetic_nrg

Post by synthetic_nrg »

hello im helena and i play a lot of shooting games and various other arcade (style) games hello
sometimes, when i close my eyes i see the behavior of enemies from xevious
ive been lurking for a few years
still have yet to 1cc anything lmao (hopefully that will change soon)
there are plenty of great resources here, on this forum

when im not playing video games, i'm focused almost full time on music. either creating or listening
and, i also like the music in the shooting games (xevious too!!)

i may want to dabble in creating an abstract shooting game on the c64 at some point but that is merely a dream

zanac is my favorite shooting game
toilet kids is not
toaplan<3
NKB

Post by NKB »

Hey everyone, I just got into shmups like last week with danmaku unlimited 3 on my phone. I quickly moved over to the original dodonpachi on shmupmame and I think I'll stick with it. It's mad aesthetic. I like playing B-L and B-S. If anyone has superplay links I'd really appreciate if you could share them with me so I can learn. The best one I've been able to find is a 477m on youtube. I'd really like to see the type B world record from the world record sticky though.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

NKB wrote:Hey everyone, I just got into shmups like last week with danmaku unlimited 3 on my phone. I quickly moved over to the original dodonpachi on shmupmame and I think I'll stick with it. It's mad aesthetic. I like playing B-L and B-S. If anyone has superplay links I'd really appreciate if you could share them with me so I can learn. The best one I've been able to find is a 477m on youtube. I'd really like to see the type B world record from the world record sticky though.
Welcome to the forum! :D

As for the replays, we have this fun topic over here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60767

Enjoy your stay!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Welcome and happy shooting!

synthetic_nrg : Have you tried Zanac Neo? If you like Zanac, I am sure you'll enjoy it a lot too!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
geecee

Post by geecee »

Hey all, a casual shmupper here. First got into the genre with Ikaruga, but then moved onto Ketsui. Trying to get back to the hobby.
Rhekt Butler

Post by Rhekt Butler »

Hello all.

I have lurked here for a little while and finally decided to join the community. I am new to shmups and I look forward to learning from all the talented and friendly players here.

See you around the forum.
Alekz

Post by Alekz »

Hello everyone, I like shmups a lot in general, and I really, really love Gradius in particular. :D
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Hi!
Enjoy your stay on the forum! :)
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
servo

Post by servo »

Hello.

Just recently started buying arcade stuff so have been lurking and am getting into shmups as a result. This seems like a good place to be for that.
Dragonlee

Post by Dragonlee »

Gday Guys,
Long time lurker and here to share my knowledge of arcade.
Cheers
Darksun

Post by Darksun »

Hi all~

I got into shmups a year or two ago after watching the Game Grumps play Gradius and Parodius, and am trying to find some more that I really enjoy. Very hard to narrow it down when there are so many! I'm a huge fan of Axelay, and I also really like Dogyuun, Gradius 5, Gradius 3 (SNES), and the Parodius series.

I'm mostly a console gamer (especially Nintendo) so most of my gaming knowledge is in that field. I'm still a newbie when it comes to shmups.
Adimusprime

Post by Adimusprime »

Greetings Shmup forum!

You can call me Adam, and I've recently found a love and addiction for shooting games. I remember always having an affinity towards them as a young one, but unfortunately found them kind of inaccessible. To my delight, my great friend and roommate has shown me otherwise. A few of you may know him by Square_Air. He happily gave me a USB stick with shmup mame4.2 preloaded with a nice handful of his top picks. I immediately started with Gun Smoke as it was a game that I adored and played a lot, however, i couldn't ever get past the first stage. ;) Now my highscore is 254100 which I got right before dying to Cutter Boomerang. (It sounds like I'm playing a megaman game, haha)
I had a quick realization after I had being playing the games in the list, going through them almost picking them at random, that I was complete garbage at every one. I still had fun, however, felt like I was never improving. SQA told me that I should try to clear the first loop of Batsugun: Special, as he thought it is a great place for a beginner to start. The game is a lot of fun, and I think that it did teach me a lot about playing Vertical shooters, but I was still feeling like I was garbage. STG's are hard. Lol. I eventually did get the 1 all of BS and it was the most thrilling and exhilertating video game experience that I've ever had. The rush of flying past bullets and killing baddies while jamming out to an amazing soundtrack is addicting. I'm really close to achieving a 2 all in Batsugun: Special now, but there are so many games that are fun to play, it's hard to completely sink myself into just one.
I started out feeling completely out of my league when it comes to this genre of arcade game, and now I have a Batsugun: special 1-all, a Crimson Clover World Ignition novice clear. I can get to 2-4 in BS. I can feel a touhou 7 normal clear coming right around the corner. I'm also making good progress in DoDonPachi, a game that made me cower and think, "there's no fucking way I'll be able to clear this." Seeing my own progress is such a fulfilling feeling, and I've come to this forum to share my excitement and own achievements. I'm excited to be able to progress with other people, to share experiences, strategies, and to make friends here on this forum.

A big, big thanks to my buddy SQA for supporting and encouraging me to keep on shooting.

TLDR;
I'm a nerd and like to play video games. Hi.
Batsugun Special, Beltiana, 1-ALL / Crimzon Clover World Ignition, Novice Clear / Eschatos, Original-Easy Clear
New to shmups, always open to game suggestions!
itruk

Post by itruk »

Another lurker here looking to get some more knowledge on various shump titles :)
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Welcome everybody!

Adimusprime : I enjoyed reading your story and I feel like it encapsulates pretty well the reasons we like shmups as much : the pleasant feeling of overcoming obstacles that seemed impossible before, and the raw excitement of playing these games and getting better at them. :)

You can definitely thank Square_Air for introducing you to so many of these games.
malc
Site Admin

Post by malc »

Hello I'm malc and I'm not dead yet. I need to quit real life stuff and come back to shmups. Both the site and the games.

My favourite, and pretty much only even slightly played console right now is switch - a real shmupping powerhouse, who would have predicted that?

Hello to all, old and new.

malc
FX102A

Post by FX102A »

Lurked on these forum in the past to find about shm'ups but finally decided to sign up.

Had a few shm'ups back in my NES & SNES days but the resurgence happened when I met a now friend of mine and a serious retro collector. Fell in love with some of the Dreamcast & Saturn titles like Under Defeat, Zero Gunner 2 & Hyper Duel. Now trying to build up my own shm'up collection across more recent consoles (though unlikely to ever own some of the really valuable ones from the 5th & 6th Gen consoles.

In terms of typesm I got a soft spot for side-on shm'ups with UN Squadron / Area 88 being my all time fave. That's supported with my love in Military Aviation.

Looking forward to learn more and converse.
Mandarake86

Post by Mandarake86 »

Hi!
I am Italian but living in Tokyo.
I love shooters. My favorite developers are Toapaln, Compile, Irem and Hudson soft.
I collect old videogames for almost any old console.

If you need anything from Japan ( especially related to game collecting), don't hesitate to ask
zoydo

Post by zoydo »

Hi,

i'm Tobi, 32, from Germany.

I play STGs (actively) for about two years now.

I'm into videogames since i was 4 or 5 years old. I always enjoyed shooters, and played some now and then, but only in a more casual way.

First contact must have been in the early 90s with Solar Striker, Nemesis or R-Type (can't remember exactly).
The first STG that really caught my attention was G.Darius back in 1998 on PSone, still love it today and the Darius-series is one my favourite shooter-series.

My preferred systems are: PC-Engine, PS2/PSone, MegaDrive and X360 (even though i still don't own a japanese 360). I guess PS4 and Switch are worth mentioning too, atm.

I used to visit the shmups.com website a lot for reviews and research and read in the forum for guides and advice.

Finally decided to register, to connect and post some scores.

Cheers :wink:
TOB
agropequarium

Post by agropequarium »

Hello and happy new year to everyone!

I'm Armando from Mexico, I've been playing shmups casually and lurking the board for a while now, but I decided to register and get involved now that I took an interest in learning to develop games as a hobby. Its because of Jaimers91's youtube channel that I learned about shmups many years ago, and little by little I became more interested in them.

I look forward to learn a lot from from you and I hope soon to be able to develop something fun for you to play!
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I registered here a while ago because I was looking for some tips and information pertaining to earlier R-Type games. Usually, retro first-person shooters (I also post on Doomworld) and 2D platformers are my go-to genres, but ever since I played through Musha a little while ago, I've been on a kick for the shooter genre (I dislike the term "shmups") and haven't had much desire to play anything else.

My favourite shooter is Musha, followed by Einhander, R-Type and Crimzon Clover (which I've yet to beat on Original mode). I also look forward to checking out Gaiares, Robo Aleste, Scrambled Valkyrie and Tyrian 2000 down the road. I might need a bit of advice once I fully commit to tackling the higher difficulties of Crimzon Clover, as I don't yet fully understand all the nuances of bullet cancelling, break rates, scoring, etc. As of now, Unlimited mode seems virtually impossible to complete, but I trust that it's a lot easier than it appears, once one properly understands the mechanics.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
RiderKick

Post by RiderKick »

Hi, i have known about the existence of this forum for a long while but only now registered, i am a big fan of shmups...even though i suck at them.

I got started with Tyrian on an old PC and Genesis shmups like Gaiares and Gynoug...mostly because as a kid i received one of those discs with hundreds of games that just happened to have a really old Genesis emulator, and alongside games like Gunstar Heroes and Sonic, i loved to play the shumps.

I wish i could say i was playing the games legally as a kid, but nope, disc with an emulator and roms.

Still, that was the case for a while, but then i stopped playing that many games because of studies and only came back quite a few years ago because a few relatives offered me a PSP 3000 for Christmas, one that came with the Wall-E game...that got ignored as i decided to look for other games instead finding many shump compilations on the PSP, in particular, Parodius Portable reignited my loved for the genre and i have been playing ever since then.

Not that i only play shmups, i just tend to really like them and other arcade like or fast paced games...and point n click adventure games, visual novels and puzzle games...i think i have the most mainstream taste in gaming 8) .
woodcans

Post by woodcans »

Hi everyone. Longtime shmups fan and longtime shmups.com former member (can't remember my original username). Glad to see the site is still active!
Additional trader feedback: woodcans on Head-Fi, joe2687 on eBay.
Rodri3

Post by Rodri3 »

Hello everyone,

I am into retrogaming and hardware modding, I came up with the forum looking for CRT mods.
It's a relief to see such an active forum in these days of social networks.
ZEONist

Post by ZEONist »

Good evening (it´s 23:04 over here) everyone, i still adore the fallen republic of ZEON hence myn nickname. Besides dreaming of greater time lost in space, i work at a company and process medical data all day long (well some other stuff too but i am not here to bore you to death, so i will cut that out) and in my time off work i like to play "old" games. Old like in pre-2000. I am totally in love with the 80s, 90s japanese arcade games and of course i adore the home consoles & computers from that time too. I like to research stuff about this period, about it´s hardware, it´s games and their creators, about the history of japanese video game makers and their history. I love "golden age" anime too. No suprise i guess.

Somebody some posts above me said that he felt the aesthetic in DonDonPachi were great and i totally agree and feel the same. That goes without saying for many other games as well but here we have a great example for what i am talking about in terms of perfect pixel love.

Besides that i love BBQ, fizzy soda drinks, all kinds of cute animals (yeah... CUTE animals, like squirrels, foxes, owls and the like) and sex.

Well, i guess i will stop here. Hope to meet some nice people here, have some nice conversation and enjoy my time with you all.

PS: Yeah, i really like shoot´em ups. But that should be obviously i guess.
Tsavathay

Hi All from Canada

Post by Tsavathay »

Jan 26 2019
Canada

Tsavathay - 34 years

Hi! I'm Alan, finally decided to introduce myself and actively participate in these forums. I've been using Shmups as a resource for some time to recommend some games but most recently I've been interested in picking up a Candy cabinet and am here to connect with others regarding shmup PCB collecting and whatever else comes up (if anyone lives in Canada and wants to work out a group buy lmk).

My main collection consists of home consoles used with Sony PVM 14M2U and Sony PVM 20M2MDU RGB Scart or OSSC (for Xbox360)

Sega Saturn:
Batsugun, DodonPachi,Battle Garrega, Strikers 1945, Radiant Silver Gun, Blast Wind, Soukyugurentai, game tengoku, Cotton 2, Darius Gaiden, Layer Section, Sonic Wings
*I'm looking for Gekirindan and I think I'll be done with this....
PC-Engine Duo-R RGB Mod:
Alzadick Summer Carnival '92, Download 1&2, Dragon Spirit, Gate of Thunder, Hellfire S, Image fight II, Mr.Heli, Nexzr, Psychic Storm, R-type, Rayxanber II, Spriggan MK II, Super Star Soldier, W-Rings.
*looking for spriggan and that'll be it.
Xbox 360:
Espgaluda 2, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label, Ginga force, Setsui, Mushihime-same futari

Anyways - I love games but also my family friends and work, really haven't played much within last 2.5 yrs but hoping this Candy Cab journey allows me to enjoy my shmups and other passions a little more.