The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Guile

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by Guile »

Hi everybody,

I'm terrible at shmups but I only recently started playing them. I die every 30 seconds on Espgaluda but I love Lords of Thunder. I need to look up some more to try.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Guile wrote: I'm terrible at shmups but I only recently started playing them. I die every 30 seconds on Espgaluda but I love Lords of Thunder. I need to look up some more to try.
You might like Hyper Duel (either the arcade or Saturn version), it's got a foot-to-the-floor tenor very similar to Lords. No sword attack, but you can turn into a rifle-wielding mech who's invincible to terrain. :wink: Saturn's probably the best version, the arrange mode lets you lock the mech's aim for easy strafing/focus fire.
100 Mega Shock

Post by 100 Mega Shock »

Hi have known the forum for years and now I am able to exchange some things.
Love shmups already always cave, raizing..toaplan ..

Stay healthy in this extraordinary time. Greetings. :wink:
Delta_Tango_Six

Post by Delta_Tango_Six »

Hey Folks, I’m new here so I’m doing the introduction post. Got into shmups when I was a kid 1986-ish and my mom would take me to the laundromat so I would play an old Galaga arcade cabinet that was there. From there I’d dabble in Gradius and Lifeforce on my NES. I really got into the genre when I started playing Steel Empire for the Genesis which coincidently My first 1CC. That laid a pretty good foundation for the genre that prepared me for the crazier games like Radiant Slivergun and Ikaruga. I still mostly play on consoles with a bit of emulation here and there. My favorite shmup is Android Assault: Revenge of Bari-Arm and my favorite OST is Lords of Thunder. I wouldn’t consider myself a very good at the genre but I like it enough to keep coming back to it. If I’m not playing shooters I’m playing rpgs.

Looking forward to interacting with you all.
Guile

Post by Guile »

BIL wrote:
You might like Hyper Duel (either the arcade or Saturn version), it's got a foot-to-the-floor tenor very similar to Lords.
That looks really good, I'll give it a try. I definitely need to look into Saturn more, never had one though I tried emulating some.
Shinguin

Post by Shinguin »

Might as well start here.
I found this forum when browsing for a way to get muchi muchi pork! to run on my PC. Since my friends don't really like shmups, I'm happy to find other people to talk about it. At the moment I'm still trying to 1CC touhou games, but I have had much fun with other shmups like Crimzon Clover. I haven't played shmups for a long time yet, only for one year or so. Much like Acid said earlier, over the last year I've gone back to more skill based games, and like how they push me to my limits. Also, they are a great way to train my patience and stay calm in stress situations. Otherwise I play lots of roguelikes or go through emulators like cocaine.
I hope (and I think I will) have a nice time here!
TrevorMcFurr

Post by TrevorMcFurr »

Hi all, this actually my second self introduction, as I had another account under the name Steevtee but I couldn't reactivate the account...

Anyway, I've been playing shmups (badly) as early as River Raid and Spider Fighter on the Atari 2600, then many more from Xenon 2, R-Type, Raiden to Gradus V, Radiant Silvergun, Dariusburst CS, Ikaruga and many more inbetween. I've just bought Sturmwind EX on XO and Soldner X2 which are fun.

I enjoy making my own shmups too, and am working on a Turrican inspired shmup about which I have started a topic in the dev thread.

Cheers!
gamertag/PSN ID: TrevorMcFurr

d_resolution dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/kw5fjnvr
Vulcano dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/43ztk2un

"If she makes it, she should be a perfectly normal and healthy cat. Other than having two faces."
cream_cream_cream

Post by cream_cream_cream »

hi everyone, i've only played a handful of shmups in my life (i remember having a grand time with ikaruga on the GC), but i'm still glad to be here.
i'll be trying my best to learn the world of CRT; i understand this forum is full of wisdom.
hope you are all doing well
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

TrevorMcFurr wrote:Hi all, this actually my second self introduction, as I had another account under the name Steevtee but I couldn't reactivate the account...

Anyway, I've been playing shmups (badly) as early as River Raid and Spider Fighter on the Atari 2600, then many more from Xenon 2, R-Type, Raiden to Gradus V, Radiant Silvergun, Dariusburst CS, Ikaruga and many more inbetween. I've just bought Sturmwind EX on XO and Soldner X2 which are fun.

I enjoy making my own shmups too, and am working on a Turrican inspired shmup about which I have started a topic in the dev thread.

Cheers!
Welcome (back)!

Did you choose your new username because you love the Jaguar? Or some other reason? I grew up with the Jag and still play it fairly regularly. It gets an unfairly bad rap. I can't say I'm a fan of Trevor McFur, but I probably owe my love of Raiden to the Jag port.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Hi, everyone!
I found about this place thanks to a post from Sir Ilpalazzo on another forum where he shared some of his favorite games. I like arcadey games of all sorts and shmups yes, but mostly sidescrollers (your thread here is legendary), beltscrollers and I recently realized that I really like RNG, like lots of it, so roguelikes too. Nice to meet you all.
TrevorMcFurr

Post by TrevorMcFurr »

PFG 9000 wrote:
TrevorMcFurr wrote:Hi all, this actually my second self introduction, as I had another account under the name Steevtee but I couldn't reactivate the account...

Cheers!
Welcome (back)!

Did you choose your new username because you love the Jaguar? Or some other reason? I grew up with the Jag and still play it fairly regularly. It gets an unfairly bad rap. I can't say I'm a fan of Trevor McFur, but I probably owe my love of Raiden to the Jag port.
Thanks very much!

Yes exactly! Trevor McFur was an amazing... ly bad game, I always laugh when I think of the main characters as being different felines!

Yeah, I've still got my Jag, CD add-on and a load of games too. Tempest 2000 is one of my favourite games of all time... TxK is also awesome, and to a lesser extent T4K.
gamertag/PSN ID: TrevorMcFurr

d_resolution dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/kw5fjnvr
Vulcano dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/43ztk2un

"If she makes it, she should be a perfectly normal and healthy cat. Other than having two faces."
Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann »

Hi, I thought I'd made an account in like 2004 but it turns out I never had.

I play games poorly! I've been a local fighting game tournament organiser for over a decade! Sometimes I do speedruns with absurd yet informative commentary!

Anyway, playing for score takes too long so I've been working on some speed stuff. That includes this rather good run of Fantasy Zone at Shmup Slam 3. Shooters are fun.
waali

Post by waali »

Hello all from down under.

Joined a few years back but never introduced myself.
Mostly a FPS and scrolling beatem fan but have a fondness for the shmup, not that I'm any good at them :)

Cheers.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Searchlike wrote:Hi, everyone!
I found about this place thanks to a post from Sir Ilpalazzo on another forum where he shared some of his favorite games. I like arcadey games of all sorts and shmups yes, but mostly sidescrollers (your thread here is legendary), beltscrollers and I recently realized that I really like RNG, like lots of it, so roguelikes too. Nice to meet you all.
A belated welcome to the secret character unlocked by winning 10+ one life clears in Ninja Spirit! (I'm the one you unlock by one lifing Holy Diver.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vanguard wrote:
Searchlike wrote:Hi, everyone!
A belated welcome to the secret character unlocked by winning 10+ one life clears in Ninja Spirit! (I'm the one you unlock by one lifing Holy Diver.)
:mrgreen: Image
Hans Stockmann wrote:Image
waali wrote:Image
Killer avatars Image
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Vanguard wrote:A belated welcome to the secret character unlocked by winning 10+ one life clears in Ninja Spirit! (I'm the one you unlock by one lifing Holy Diver.)
Thanks for inviting me. :mrgreen: And thanks for unlocking me, BIL. It's lonely in there AND dangerous, with the one hit deaths and that infamous pit.
mikestanley464

Post by mikestanley464 »

Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
vidmate
vidmate for pc
Canli Mac izle
Last edited by mikestanley464 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bk_figames

Post by bk_figames »

Hey Everyone,

Just joined. I'm a garden variety retro gamer turned shmup fan thru the development of my game! Not the best shmup player out there but the more I've been playing them the better I find myself getting!
@stellarfury
Elektronix

Post by Elektronix »

Hi all, just joined today, looks like a great resource & community. I have a Jamma cab (similar to a Video Wizard) that I'm looking to install a Raspberry Pi in to play shmups & classic arcade games, see you in the forums!
AyeYoYoYO

Post by AyeYoYoYO »

Waddup everybody!
Just installed Terraonion M.O.D.E.'s in both SEGA SATURN and SEGA DREAMCAST.
Those two systems are the BEST ever home consoles, in TWO genres:

1. 2d Fighting games
2. Shmups

the Emperor sent me, via GIGA WING 2 stream...

Gonna dig into and rank both aforementioned consoles' shmup catalogs, as well as dig into PS2, PS3 shmup catalogs here for advice, and hope & pray the XBLA version of RADIANT SILVERGUN HD comes to the Switch in 2021, since Microsoft is playing nice with Nintendo now.
burnt_toast_600

Post by burnt_toast_600 »

Greetings all,

Very long time lurker - but first time user/poster here (as per new years resolution to actively contribute to online forums opposed to passively reading info!!!).

This site has been an invaluable resource over the years and one of a few that I have now joined in 2021 and plan on engaging with when I have the spare time between work and 3 kids :D

Shootemups and 2d fighters are my games of choice - I am average at best at both but thoroughly enjoy playing when I can.

Cheers, Toasty
Jasonbartfast

Post by Jasonbartfast »

Hello! I'm a long-time, consistently terrible shmup player who has recently decided to try to get decent at the genre. My history with shmups has been marked by periods of obsession spread-out over a year or so, with long gaps in between. Circa 2002-3 I was obsessed with Ikaruga, Einhander and G.Darius. Around 2010 it was Radiant Silvergun, and now it's ZeroRanger. I've played dozens more with a low intensity, too many to count/name.

ZeroRanger has really grabbed my attention though, and all of the references to other games has really re-captured my interest in the genre, so I've been spending a lot time on these boards, and figured I should make an account so I can ask hopefully-not-dumb questions.
Vorde

Post by Vorde »

Hey there,
Long time fan of shmups but never really put any real time into learning them.
Favourites are Mushihimesama, Mushihimesama Futari, and Ketsui.
Once Mushihimesama was ported to PC, started playing with a fightstick. 1cc on Novice - Original, and trying to move on from there.
Big Super Smash Bros Melee player and Path of Exile is life.
Aside from that I was friends with Drakon and have met some of the Toronto Shmup players.
Hoping for some real hangouts once Covid is gone!
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Been here for awhile. Figured I'd finally make an account. I'm a big fan of Compile's stuff and have managed a few 1cc's with stuff like MUSHA, Blazing Lazers, Space Megaforce, etc. Also gotta give a shout out to ShmupJunkie on youtube for his amazing content which has really sparked my own enthusiasm lately. I also recently built my first PC so I've been messing with stuff on MAME a lot and am hoping to get a few arcade clears under my belt this year.
Ikaru@

Post by Ikaru@ »

hello,

it's ikaru@ an English friend recommended this forum to me.We often talk by e-mail and he told me here it's a good place to disccus about our favorites arcade games.
Grinning Cat

Post by Grinning Cat »

^ Pretty sure I was that English friend...unless someone else was saying exactly the same :lol:

Ikaru@ is a great guy! He has some really awesome PCBs - and we've traded/exchanged quite a few PCBs in the last few years. Still owe him for hooking me up with Batsugun :D
Ikaru@

Post by Ikaru@ »

Grinning Cat wrote:^ Pretty sure I was that English friend...unless someone else was saying exactly the same :lol:
:lol:
I made an exchange with zak .I missed Batsugun :oops:
PocOminis

Post by PocOminis »

Hi guys! Been lurking for a while. I love shmups, but am hopeless at them. My biggest accomplishment is finishing Gradius II on the nes. THank God for youtube, where i get my daily does of shmups. :D
StepzNL

Post by StepzNL »

Hi everyone! New to the forum. Turning 40 this year, have always been collecting games and consoles and for the last couple of years I’ve been playing more and more shmups. Especially a big fan of Cave bullet hells. I do kinda suck at it, though. Most of the time I’m just trying to 1cc on easy :mrgreen:
Next to that, I wish everybody a great weekend!
PatmanQC

Hello everyone, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Post by PatmanQC »

I just stumbled across this forum and since I'm a big fan of the genre I wanted to register and participate. I have been an avid videogamer Since the late 70s and never stopped even after I lost my hands and feet. I do have a history of documentary channel on YouTube that I started about three years ago so perhaps some of you have recognized some of the videos I've done.

Thanks for having me.

[Mod]Moved post over from Off Topic to here[/Mod]