The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MauserNurse

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by MauserNurse »

Hello there. Well I created this account some months ago, so I did that. I like shmups although you could say that I am quite at them, also in games overall, I only like started playing videogames, during my childhood I didnt really play outside of minesweeper (which I was bad) and that pinball game for Windows XP, and some Flash. So yeah, I would started playing videogames only very recently.
sicoe

New to the Forums

Post by sicoe »

Good Morning All

Have just joined today, been into my gaming for 25 years, stopped for a while but now back in full swing, really enjoy my shoot em ups and looking to get into all of the cave shooters but also still really love all the old shooter on my Sega Astro City.

Nice to talk to you all!
leodash

Post by leodash »

Hi, everyone!

I've been a lurker here. Thank you so much for sharing all the guides and strategies about shmups here. I decided to register today after I got banned from r/shmups. Hopefully I can contribute back in any way.
Housematt

Post by Housematt »

Hi Everyone

Matt here, I’m a Kiwi from NZ. Mainly interested in 90’s arcade games, consoles, Sony PVM/BVM, and RGB modding CRTs.
Have been lurking here for some time reading the RGB modding threads, finally registered so I can participate in the discussion.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

leodash wrote:Hi, everyone!

I've been a lurker here. Thank you so much for sharing all the guides and strategies about shmups here. I decided to register today after I got banned from r/shmups. Hopefully I can contribute back in any way.
Why'd you get banned?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

From what I've heard the lone mod of that subreddit is kind of a tyrant and will delete threads and ban people on a whim.

Welcome aboard leodash, Housematt!
leodash

Post by leodash »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Why'd you get banned?
Haha.

Well, someone asked if there is a shmup with online co-op. I answered suggesting Fightcade. For that, I got banned for two days.

Later, in the recent high score thread of Mushihimesama Futari, I put a little remark saying I got banned because of emulation. 15 days after, I got an inbox saying I was perma-banned and that one mod replying to that remark I made saying, "Nobody cares, follow the rules".

So yeah, it's either I got banned twice for the same offense or the second ban was because I played using an emulator in a high score challenge that allows emulation.
EmperorIng wrote:From what I've heard the lone mod of that subreddit is kind of a tyrant and will delete threads and ban people on a whim.

Welcome aboard leodash, Housematt!
Thank you!
madnesshero

Post by madnesshero »

Hi, I'm excited to be part of this forum! I haven't played many shmups but I really enjoy the ones I have played. I started with Ikaruga and Mushihimesama, and most recently have been playing the Touhou series, primarily Touhou Fantasia.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Hello, I haven't posted in this forum in like forever until recently, but I'm finally back! I've played R-Type games like Dimensions, Delta,
and Final, & I really enjoyed them all, but I especially love Delta, which is one of my favorite shmups of all time along with Einhander.
I am so looking forward to R-Type Final 2, as I really love the graphics. It looks so gorgeous, and I can not wait to play it on my PS4!
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

Guess who's back? I wasn't invited to dinner, but I'm here anyway.

But don't call it a comeback. Studio Mudprints is 99% business. And 1% something else.
Varth

Post by Varth »

Not my first post, but might as well say Hi here to you fine scholars of pew.

Old codger here, of course. More of a collector than a player nowadays, as much as my finances allow me at least. Love old school non-danmaku games, think Dodonpachi is the peak of the genre, my fave game is not Varth but probably Fighters 1945 II (take the damn collections to PS4!). Not against new titles like Fast Striker or Ghost Blade though. Waiting for R-Type Final 2 and the Cotton reboot, secretly hoping to strike lottery to get a full-sized arcade cab, not the toys for midgets they pass as cabs nowadays.

Also, will need help with a recent collection oversight on my part. Hope it's not rude to appeal to the community so early.

That's it.
luke7110

Post by luke7110 »

Hi all from France, just testing and trying to post here !
CabalCrow

Post by CabalCrow »

Hello. I recently completed my first 1CC of Cho Ren Sha 68k and a friend of mine who is a shmup fan recommended me to join up here.

I'm not a retro or a shmup gamer, but I personally find myself playing all types of games of all ages, so I wanted to get up my knowledge about the shmup genre.
Fuddle

Post by Fuddle »

hello peeps.
i got back into retro games earlier this year, and tried a few shmups, and didnt really know what the hell i was doing. but they all look so cool, so now i want to learn a bit and try and get good at one (for a start).
hopefully i can learn some stuff here. i've already been lurking all the threads people have made asking for easiest/first games to play. so dont worry, i wont be making another one of those :wink:
That_Greek_Guy

Post by That_Greek_Guy »

Hello everyone!

Decided to finally make an account since i feel like i have something interesting to post now.
Favorite shmups are: Jamestown, Crimson Clover World Ignition, Revolver 360 RE:ACTOR and Astebreed.

I have recently finished making my own shmup game (which has a cool twist to weapons,death and custom ships). I read the rules but i am not sure how ok it is to post about your own shmups. I just want to make two posts about it. One now and the other in 3 days when the game will be released on itch.io. It has a Demo so if it is allowed could you tell me where i can post about it?

Thank you
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Welcome to all!!
neokoen

Post by neokoen »

Hi All,

Same old guy with same user name on other arcade forums. :)
WinManX2000

Post by WinManX2000 »

Hello. Been lurking for quite some time. Finally decided to sign up a few months back. So much information on this site!
delibrete

Post by delibrete »

HI everyone,

been lurking for a little bit on and off, decided to make an account. I want to get into RGB modding consumer CRTs and learning more about them :) I like to play a lot of retro games, mainly from the N64/PS1 era. I also play a lot of melee.

Thanks!
mikestanley464

Post by mikestanley464 »

I didn't know this! So this is why the Recca title screen I see here is so much different from my memory. The only thing I could remember from the real cart is reading the "summer carnival" text, while the title was Japanese (or abstract drawings).

For a long time I refer to this game as Summer Carnival when introducing it to friends, often leaving them wonder what the heck does summer carnival has to do with uber destructive blastfest.

and I tell them,
aradii

Post by aradii »

Hi everyone, my name is arad ralami, My favourite Shmups game is Gradius V in PS2 and now I'm currently playing Jamestown in PS4, When I searched about Shmups games I found your community, so I decided to register, hope we have a great time with each other here.
Sorry if I have any mistake in my grammar, English is my second language.
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

Well hello there

The only shmup I've played is Ikaruga. I feel like I'm not getting the right experience with vertical oriented games using widescreen TVs, and I wish there was a solution.
Anyway I'm here for the GBS cfw mostly, as that has solved most of my setup problems.
chelseayr

Post by chelseayr »

hi from a one-week-of-being-very-snowy canada here! heh?

had been browsing quite heavily [as a guest] for more than two long weeks, and finally having some video hardware curiousities to settle up I decided I'll just as well as sign up so here I am

I may not be much into shoot-ups but I have played a few of them on and off tho (does 'asteroids' also count?)
mikestanley464

Post by mikestanley464 »

Hi Seven Force, I'm new here as well. Do you post at any of the Castlevania forums? I'm a huge CV freak, and I'm just curoius whether we've crossed paths before.
Max1806

Post by Max1806 »

Hellow dear shmup forum,
I'm a very passionate retrogamer and so I thougt it's aboub time to join shmupforum.

Recently I acquired a mister and am very happy w it. Looking forward to chatting about it.

All the best chris, :)
jiml

Post by jiml »

Hello,
I'm Jim. I've been reading the forum for more than a year. I'm a computer engineer and i like modding old consoles.
ravenclaws76

Post by ravenclaws76 »

Hello from Finland everyone! Been lurking here for some time and reading about shmups.

Been a gamer since mid 80's. MSX, arcade, Amiga, NES, PS1-4, Gameboy, PC. First shmup I played was Nemesis/Gradius with MSX. I've been getting more into shmups lately and been using this site to read what games might interest me.

My current favorites are: Battle Garegga Rev.2016, Mushihimesama, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Caladrius Blaze, Game Tengoku, Blazing Star, Darius Gaiden, Ikaruga... I mostly play with PS4 and PC. I'm not a great player, decent I guess, but most important thing is that I love shmups. :)
el3m

Post by el3m »

Hi Shmups,

I had to reregister a account here, since it's been few years but I have been mostly reading and posting a bit since 2005 I'd guess (?). I've been playing shmups in the side always, but during some periods more actively, like during the Cave 360 port years. The current region-free availability seems to be lot better with eShop and PSN, no worrying about play-asia shipments and availability.

During last month I've seriously dropped into the shmup rabbit hole once again - currently working on Mushihimesama (Steam) and Crimzon Clover (Switch). Happy to see the forums active!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Whoa. Lots of new blood! Always great to see.

Whether it's shooters, arcade games, or hardware how to there is no better place in the net.
My lord, I have come for you.
Acid

Post by Acid »

Hi everybody.

I found this website when looking for greatest shmups of all time lists. I really respect the collective opinions of this website. I recently bought Ginga Force and Psyvariar Delta which I would have known nothing about if it wasn't for this place. I began playing video games on the NES and played lots of shmups in the Arcades. Over the last several years my taste in games has gone back to skill based, gameplay focused games, and shmups are my favorite genre. I'm not the best at them. In fact, shmups are probably the most difficult genre for me. But I love playing them and being pushed to the limits of my efforts. Though I could probably get a lot better if I just focused on a single game at a time. I only play games on the PS4 so my options are limited, but M2 is a godsend.
Last edited by Acid on Mon May 17, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.