shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:31 pm 

Hi everyone! New to the forum. Turning 40 this year, have always been collecting games and consoles and for the last couple of years I’ve been playing more and more shmups. Especially a big fan of Cave bullet hells. I do kinda suck at it, though. Most of the time I’m just trying to 1cc on easy :mrgreen:
Next to that, I wish everybody a great weekend!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Hello everyone, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:40 pm 

I just stumbled across this forum and since I'm a big fan of the genre I wanted to register and participate. I have been an avid videogamer Since the late 70s and never stopped even after I lost my hands and feet. I do have a history of documentary channel on YouTube that I started about three years ago so perhaps some of you have recognized some of the videos I've done.

Thanks for having me.

[Mod]Moved post over from Off Topic to here[/Mod]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:15 pm 

Hey! I am newbie. My name is Kay, I'm 29 years old. I work as an engineer, and in my free time I am fond of technology, computer games, films. Also interested in handmade. I recently started to master the skills of making furniture with my own hands. Already made a couple of benches and 3 bookshelves. I tried to decorate each product, processed the wood with high quality so that the products would serve for a long time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:59 pm 

Hello, just registered, though I’ve been lurking for about a year now.

My name is Max and I’m about to turn 32. I’ve been into Shmups for about as long as I’ve been into video games. First one I played was Solar Striker on the Gameboy. It was always a peripheral interest for me until I met Ikaruga on the GameCube and fell in love with the idea of chasing high scores and practicing and so on so forth.

Never played a Cave game but have always watched the scene and planned on getting into them at some point. Being an audiophile/videophile I’ve held out waiting for access to some sort of “ideal” way to play these games. As if.

Anyway, beyond Shmups and video games in general I’m also quite a cinephile and more than anything I’m a food nerd. Be it food history, technique, recipes, or the science behind it, I love good food and learning about it in anyway I can. I’m a chef by trade and have aspirations to open a SHMUP themed arcade/bar/restaurant with candy cabs and legit PCBs. Currently accepting business name ideas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:24 pm 

Wow, great to see a lot of new folks join recently!

PatmanQC wrote:
I have been an avid videogamer Since the late 70s and never stopped even after I lost my hands and feet.

"She's Nubs" is one of my fave NOFX songs. :lol:

Yeah, we're really fortunate that nowadays there's lots of software and hardware out there that's readily adaptable for use as custom, accessible controls, and arcade controls being pretty easily customizable so you can operate them with an adaptive setup, being a quadruple amputee isn't necessarily a reason to stop gaming! It'd even be doable on an actual arcade cabinet, with sit-down cabinets being potentially playable in a wheelchair even, and external buttons/joystick separate to the cab such as foot operated buttons would be totally reasonable and relatively easy to implement.

I remember seeing your Ninja Warriors video recently, great stuff! Welcome. :P

BrushHog wrote:
Never played a Cave game but have always watched the scene and planned on getting into them at some point. Being an audiophile/videophile I’ve held out waiting for access to some sort of “ideal” way to play these games. As if.

This seems an unfortunate reason to deny yourself the opportunity to play them. There's plenty of game games with great ports (Espgaluda and DOJ's PS2 ports, the Xbox 360 ports of Futari, Ketsui, Akai Katana, DS, and so on, the Steam ports of Mushihimesama, DS, Daifukkatsu, the recent ports of Dangun Feveron and ESP.Ra.De). Emulation also works very well for them nowadays and honestly Donpachi is never going to have good audio quality, as fun as the game is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:24 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
This seems an unfortunate reason to deny yourself the opportunity to play them. There's plenty of game games with great ports (Espgaluda and DOJ's PS2 ports, the Xbox 360 ports of Futari, Ketsui, Akai Katana, DS, and so on, the Steam ports of Mushihimesama, DS, Daifukkatsu, the recent ports of Dangun Feveron and ESP.Ra.De). Emulation also works very well for them nowadays and honestly Donpachi is never going to have good audio quality, as fun as the game is.

Silly and unfortunate, yes. I went ahead and grabbed Dangun Feveron on my Xbone and have been having a blast playing it. Heard it’s an easier one as far as Cave games go so I thought it would a better choice than Guwange.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Hi to all Shumps fans !
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:58 am 

Hello everyone !
I am french so pardon my english if not always perfect :lol:
I mainly plays Shmups on Arcade (Atomiswave SD), PC-Engine and on the Switch.
Cool forum ! Cheers !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:19 am 

Hi, I also play Shmups on Arcade, there are a lot of interesting things on this forum!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:02 pm 

hi ! i'm the new guy in this forum. I like shmup and i have candy cab (Konami Windy II)

living in Canada Québec and i know IRL SnakeGrunger and Liquidus0

Twitch streamer (in french) in RGB <3 only on original console and candy cab

if you want follow my channel: https://www.twitch.tv/johnnygretis/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 am 

Hello everyone. I've just registered although I've been a lurker for a while. I love a good shoot (and beat) 'em up- I grew up on R-Type and Nemesis in the arcades and on the Speccy 48K, had a Mega Drive, Saturn, PS1, DC and now have a modded 360 but play mostly through emulators on a pc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:42 pm 

I just realized that I actually have an old profile here, but yeah I was a sporadic visiter on these forums, nothing compared to my daily escapades to the then active swedish shmup forums stgfan where I probably had posts in the thousands and at least all of them were very probably cringey, but seeing as how I still make very little sense these days, and still have no respect for following the topic at hand (or the "red thread", as we would say in Sweden) - *throws up hands in Tim Rogers*.

My biggest wish for shmups in the future are that I want them to include more procedurally generated content, and also that I would like to see more endless modes (with a bunch of extends), and, perhaps, even (temporary) upgrades of some kind. Yes, I'm a euro whore at heart. I mean PARSEC47 is my favorite shmup of all time because it gets most things right, but noiz2sa is one of my favorite shmups of all times because it basically gets the aforementioned endless mode in combination with extends at regular intervals right, but the bullet patterns in themselves can hardly be considered good, and yet I keep returning to it over the memorization of specific routes in most other shmups. I mean I hate certain things about Geometry Wars (those damn snakes) but for the very same reason as noiz2sa, it gets me going, so imagine caveish shmups but with that endless experience. Why is this sooo not a thing? I mean it's not like "arcade games" have no history of endless modes, and I don't quite get how it's become the new standard to have three lives and two extends, I mean it's not *clearly* an improvement, just something different.

Oh well, maybe in 10-15 years when I've left and returned to this place again. :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone, just wanted to say hi and introduce myse
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:47 am 

PatmanQC wrote:
I just stumbled across this forum and since I'm a big fan of the genre I wanted to register and participate. I have been an avid videogamer Since the late 70s and never stopped even after I lost my hands and feet. I do have a history of documentary channel on YouTube that I started about three years ago so perhaps some of you have recognized some of the videos I've done.

Thanks for having me.

I definitely look forward to every time you upload a new video. Happy little games!

I have loved shoot 'em ups ever since I played Super R-Type, which was a favorite rental my brother and I used to play when we were younger.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60