The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
diOdesu

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by diOdesu »

i haven't played a shmup in over 10 years until recently and a few thoughts come to mind:

1. over the weekend i had a sudden urge to dodge bullets and so purchased ghost blade, shikondo, and azure reflections on the switch (i have kids now so the switch seemed most appropriate as a family console)
2. i came across a comment/article suggesting that the switch is the current best console for this genre so if this is true i can no longer say that this purchase was an act of selflessness
3. prior to my recent purchases, the last game i bought was ibara for ps2 which might have led to me quitting because i'm pretty sure i snapped my controller into pieces from frustration
4. i'm so happy to see this site/forum alive and lively; thanks to everyone for playing and providing me a safe haven from the 3d world
Deibiddo

Post by Deibiddo »

Hello to all

Well, finally thought I'd join a forum pertaining to stg and retro tech, two things I've always been quite found of. I've been playing and collecting console games, arcade pcbs/cabinets/super gun control boxes/arcade sticks, etc. for a long while now, lived in Japan for a short time, love CRT technology (the amount of CRT that I own is staggering even to me) and have I suppose what I'd consider to be, I don't know, maybe a reasonably successful youtube channel that I've been posting videos on for the past decade or so, which has garnered just about a million total video views by the start of 2020.

I've enjoyed occasionally reading threads on various game related forums over the past few decades, but never really actually registered for one, primarily because I've always been busy working on my own videos and being a part of the retro youtube gaming community, so yeah, better late than never, thought I'd join and stop by to say hello this late evening.
Infamous2150

Post by Infamous2150 »

Hey Guys

I recently started collecting shmups, I own numerous titles on pc and ps4. Feel free to add me.
Steam: infamous2150
PS4: infamous2117

See you on the battlefield!
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

please delete my account mods. thanks
SpryteMix

Post by SpryteMix »

I been here for awhile, but let me properly introduce myself! Taken straight from the shmup discord.

My name derides from not only the popular drink itself, but its because i prefer 2D sprite based games and I like to mix things up a bit in terms of 2D genres and games. Originally platformers was gonna be the main focus both 2D and 3D, and i could cared less about shmups until around 2016 when I fully started to embrace the genre. Prior to that point, I would only play them maybe once or twice a year, didnt care for score, played on easiest with max lives , and would credit feed my way. From 2016 to 2018, i started purchasing more shmups thru digital distribution on Steam and consoles, but on October 25th 2018, my life changed forever as my first ever 1-All occurred in DoDonPachi DFK 1.5 on Normal. Ever since then, I been learning terminology, games, companies, etc. You could say I’ve become a fanboy that will stand and defend the genre. I even joke around and say its the galaxy brain genre of the gaming world since the modern landscape doesn’t focus too much on scoring tactics or spending time on a game for hours when in reality it only takes like 30 minutes to finish. My latest accomplishment was finishing first place in Garegga as a part of the monthly shmup meet here in NC.
neist

Post by neist »

Been about a thousand years since I've visited this board, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.

Used to be somewhat active on here, and had to take a prolonged break from video gaming due to graduate school. Looking to get back into things. Look forward to discussions.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

welcome neist! Any game caught your eye as you get back into the swing of things?

also belated welcome to Sprytemix. 1ALL on DFK is a respectable feat! I've never managed to unlock the second loop on Normal, but I enjoyed my time learning the game when I did.
vornaff

Post by vornaff »

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to spending more time on your really cool (and huge!) forum. I found it through the “Shoot the Core” podcast.

I’m in San Diego. My account (vornaff) is the same as my WoW character from years ago.

I am definitely a fan of shmups. My first I suppose was “Choplifter” on the Apple II (where it was entirely green-on-black but maybe that made it better!). I think I became hooked on the genre when I picked up “Thunder Force II” at the launch of the Sega Genesis, because I ended up playing or at least watching videos of all the other Thunder Force games. Since then I have tried a lot of different shmups and I definitely prefer horizontal scrollers with moderate but not insane difficulty.

I write code for a living and in my spare time. Oddly I waited many years before deciding to finally make a shmup (“Celtreos”). It’s really fun to make but also an immense challenge…obviously the hardest part is editing down my imagination. :)
  I created the shmup “Celtreos” (for iOS/macOS), including its legendary soundtrack!
40wattstudio

Post by 40wattstudio »

Hello everyone!

It's a great day to literally save the world by staying at home while playing a shmup! :D

You can call me James, 40watt is just my DBA name.
I was conveniently born in 1980 so I've had the pleasure of playing a lot of fun shmups. 1942 and Gradius were among the first for me back on the good ole NES!
In the arcades, I tended to gravitate towards Raiden.

Currently I'm making the most of this coronavirus down-time to teach myself how to make a shmup of my own with the Qbasic programming language (using QB64). It's actually turning out quite well!

I used to be a top 1000 Amazon reviewer, so if you'd like an objective review of your game I'd be happy to help!
Latest demo of my first shmup game:
https://40wattstudio.itch.io/scrapship-demo
neist

Post by neist »

EmperorIng wrote:welcome neist! Any game caught your eye as you get back into the swing of things?
I was mostly into Seibu Kaihatsu and Takumi stuff. I sold everything, though, so I guess I gotta track it all back down again!
Ilike2drive

Post by Ilike2drive »

Hey what's up guys, finally joined this forum. Love shmups and arcade games, currently digging into rgb modding a trinitron I have.
Zonta85

Post by Zonta85 »

Hi people! I'm an arcade lover that is also curious about rgb modding old school consoles!
fireflame

I just started playing old shmups

Post by fireflame »

Hello, I finally defeated the captcha system which was a hell to go through. I recently stared playing a few old shmups on Wii u, like Axelay, Gunhed, and soldier games.I completed final soldier but I struggle on Blade Soldier on stage 6, which is a stage/operation of endurance.

SHhmups always felt hared to me and I admit to often have mlacked patienced, though I enjoyed shmups with rpg mechanics allowing you to buy upgrades.One thing I enjoyed in gunhed was finding out the xistence of the 8 direction weapon, this weapon allowed me to get many blinking orbs and this is thanks to that that I 1cced gunhed.I also liked the purple shield because it made the game more forgiving than the other.
Lec

Post by Lec »

Hiya, all! I read a few of the other introductions here, nice to meet everyone!

As for me, I finally signed up to participate in some of the discussions here, so I'm dropping everyone an introduction.
I'm Lec, I'm from Croatia and I really enjoy old-school games. Could there be any more to say? :)
diehard

Post by diehard »

Hihi everyone,
I've been lurking these forums for a little while now just after I bought my NeoGeo AES, I've gone and bought a few CRTs TVs that I will be asking for assistance (I'm sure) about converting to rgb in the future but for now I'm just interested in Superguns and building up an arcade pcb collection and look forward to participating in conversations.
Socalju

Post by Socalju »

Hi All,

Just got an unmodded N64, a Retrotink 2x pro, and am waiting on the Retro Access S cables and the Everdrive 64 v2.5. Excited to learn more about the hdmi and rgb mods that are available. Happy to be here. Thanks for having me.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

I like them shooting games.
hkisting

Post by hkisting »

BIL wrote:
hkisting wrote:Been gaming since around 86/87 when I discovered Wonder Boy and Rygar (personal favorite game of all time- just a little bit ahead of STALKER :) ) in the arcades.
AC Rygar is killer - despite sidescrolling action/platformers being my favourite genre, I managed to avoid it all my life for a lack of decent home releases until last year, when I picked up the Arcade Archives version. No arcade experience to compare it with, but those controls seem pinpoint-sharp. I especially like the "stomp anything, even Podoboos" mechanic and the bonus for taking out bosses with it.
Spoiler
The juxtaposition of rampant pace and deadly precision gives it a certain STG aspect, I think. Has a fair few accomplished fans on this forum, you're the second I've seen call it their favourite. :smile: I'd put it alongside Saigo no Nindou and Daimakaimura, easily.
It certainly is one hell of a game!
Ageless, timeless! That game feels just perfect and well-rounded! The sound and atmo are epic! If I could give a game a 10/10, it would be that. But again- that's just my opinion. :)

Tecmo, it seems to me, were technically excellent and superior to many other companies. Their games all have that unique precise, pin-point, responsive control and their replay value is the gift that keeps on giving. Their color pallets were well balanced. The amount of effort they put into the details and the finishing is amazing. I mean look at Silkworm (the Jeep especially. Please avoid the Heli!), Tecmo Super Bowl, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Bomb Jack, Rygar, Solomon's Key... the list goes on. All technically brilliant and highly playable. I'd put them in the same class as Treasure, Tao Plan, etc.

Anyway, thanks mate! I've been playing the living daylights out of Truxton II these past few months. It's not as challenging as Truxton, but it's as enjoyable as any other great game I've ever played.
lopazopy

Post by lopazopy »

Hi, I thought I submitted my first post to a thread, but it hasn't shown up yet. Maybe I need to introduce myself first?

Just looking for some hardware advice and RGB modding. Thanks.
striderzero96

Post by striderzero96 »

Made an account a while ago, but I never used it. Well I guess its a good time to start. Hello everyone! :)
psx-collector

Post by psx-collector »

I'm a collector of PlayStation development stuff. Hello to everyone! :)
arfink

Post by arfink »

Heyo, just a night owl with a shmup addiction and growing hardware addiction too. I used to be able to 1cc Metal Slug 1,2, and 3, but left arcade gaming for a while, and now am trying to grind back up after almost a decade of stagnation. I've also been exploring shmups, mostly on Neo Geo since I have a consolized MVS, but I also play shmups on NES, Dreamcast, GC/Wii, and through Steam and emulation. Looking forward to learning more about how to play, and hopefully making some new friends.
lazenby

Post by lazenby »

Hi I’m mainly a 16bit console gamer with a long term addiction to collecting CRTs. I enjoy older shmups like flying shark and un squadron and am looking to try some Raizing shmups. Mister and super guns/pcbs are also something on the horizon.
Bomberjoe

Post by Bomberjoe »

Hi all, I’m rebuilding my MVS and CPS2 collections that I had to sell at an earlier age.
Big fan of run and guns.
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

Hello!

I’m to the Shmup community, recently picking up the genre this february due to a friend gifting me Ikaruga. Soon after I noticed how damn bad I am at the game, but it really intrigued me. It felt really good to dodge (or at least try) bullets.
I went and searched for more games like this, stumbling upon these forums and have been a lurker since then. I guess it’s time to post and ask for some advice, if possible.
Got a few games, failed hard, now I just fail a little less but still fail.
I’m currently reading and absorbing The Full Extent of the Jam, but it still seems so far from me.

I looked through the difficulty lists posted around here and tried the easy games.
My current and ridiculously short list of 1cc are: mushihimesama novice original and novice maniac (steam version); deathsmiles arcade (no canyon); Neko Navy easy and hard; and CCWI novice.

I noticed that I really enjoy the Cave games (failing hard at DDP DFK on steam) but it always feels like an impossible challenge.

So… if I may ask: which games would be recommended for some 1cc before I go back to mushi and DDP DFK? I just bought a bunch at the recent steam sale.
Oh, I play on my old PC with a Fighting stick or on Switch.

Thank you all for reading!
PS: I really enjoy the discussions around here, I hope to clear some games and be able to join in the discussions.
I suck at these games but I do enjoy them.
Platforms: PC / NSwitch
kyleg001

Post by kyleg001 »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello. Glad to be here.
marvelus10

Post by marvelus10 »

Im a very long time lurker here, thought I best say hello.
rage8885

Post by rage8885 »

Just saying hi - I signed up to find some help doing my first CRT TV RGB mod.
zFleeman

Post by zFleeman »

Hi all. I'm Zach, and I think I recently messed up my PVM, so I thought I'd join the forum that Google links me to for nearly every CRT-related question I have! I mostly play Super Mario World rom hacks that are of the Kaizo difficulty.

I submitted my first thread to Hardware yesterday, but I haven't seen it get approved yet. This isn't a "what's taking so long" question AT ALL, but I'm genuinely curious if I submitted the thread correctly. I don't see anything in my user cp that indicates that I submitted anything, but I just don't know how the cp displays posts awaiting moderation (if it does at all). Thank you! I really look forward to chatting here about my PVM issues!
Demon

Returning member

Post by Demon »

Hello,

Used to be member here many years ago early 00's couldn't recover my old account and i must've created a new one and never used it
as life took over but have got back into games through the Psikyo collections on Switch. Mainly interested in older games many of which seem to get a new lease of life on modern systems which is great.